HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
My bad, I thought that was some sort of pattern etched into the glass. And that doesn't make much sense to have a pedestrian bridge intended for conventioneers, likely in suits, and not have it air conditioned.
No worries, and I totally agree. Kind of erases the point of a skywalk in the first place if you ask me.

Which, now that I think about it, might've been the point.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 3:32 AM

Our friend from towers.net, James, certainly doesn't like the lobby area of the Fairmont. With the pictures that he posted, I can't blame him. The interior looks like a circus, why they didn't stick to the original rendering for the lobby, which was very nice, I don't know. Sad to see for such a hyped hotel. From what I have seen so far, the JW beats the pants off the Fairmont.
https://twitter.com/JamesRambin/stat...00780142923777

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
How would you say the lobby area compares to the JW? From the pictures that I am seeing online it looks huge and filled to the brim with restaurants! I also saw a picture of the pool floor and the pool looks a lot larger than the JW one. I wish this hotel was open last year so I could have experienced it first hand.

I have a question about the sky bridge, how is it going to be air conditioned, so far it just looks like two pieces of slab. Being in a enclosed area with no outside wind seems like it would be more uncomfortable than just walking outside to and from the convention center.

Here is the link to where I saw the restaurant pictures and pool deck: https://austin.eater.com/2018/3/5/17...rules-regs-bar
I'd say if you like the design of the fairmont's interior, then it's very nice. It's sort of closed off more, though, since the entrance isn't too "grand" and you have to walk a bit to get to the large lobby bar. But I'd say as far as actual quality is concerned they're equally nice. But some people aren't exactly a fan of the design. I think it looks like a vegas hotel, sort of in a good way, and sort of in a bad way...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Our friend from towers.net, James, certainly doesn't like the lobby area of the Fairmont. With the pictures that he posted, I can't blame him. The interior looks like a circus, why they didn't stick to the original rendering for the lobby, which was very nice, I don't know. Sad to see for such a hyped hotel. From what I have seen so far, the JW beats the pants off the Fairmont.
https://twitter.com/JamesRambin/stat...00780142923777
Seriously, I'm in disbelief...anyone expecting to stay at a high end hotel would be shocked to see this. And that Comic Sans font is just the sour, rotten cherry on top....

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
I'd say if you like the design of the fairmont's interior, then it's very nice. It's sort of closed off more, though, since the entrance isn't too "grand" and you have to walk a bit to get to the large lobby bar. But I'd say as far as actual quality is concerned they're equally nice. But some people aren't exactly a fan of the design. I think it looks like a vegas hotel, sort of in a good way, and sort of in a bad way...
I don't mean to disrespect you, but from what I've seen, yes the quality is nice(except for the comic sans pointed out by Sigaven), but, the style is not. Having a house like structure inside a hotel looks especially weird. The color choices they picked for the lobby area also look off. Light blue and sand, looks like a 90's interior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Seriously, I'm in disbelief...anyone expecting to stay at a high end hotel would be shocked to see this. And that Comic Sans font is just the sour, rotten cherry on top....
I know right! The only other Fairmont that I have been to, the Pacific Rim in Vancouver, was beyond grand inside and out. I expected the Fairmont here to follow and also be especially grand, given the long delays. Instead we got a discount Vegas strip looking hotel lobby, minus the slot machines and smoking. I sincerely hope the rest of the hotel looks better.

Last edited by masonh2479; Mar 7, 2018 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:16 PM

They could sue their interior design team, except that they signed off on it. Holy SHIT, this is beyond bad...it is embarrassing. I guess that the people who will stay there for conventions will dig it....they dig Vegas cheese.

Four Seasons has ZERO to be worried about.

https://www.fourseasons.com/austin/l...180307181445:s

Last edited by urbancore; Mar 7, 2018 at 6:27 PM. Reason: left off a line.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
They could sue their interior design team, except that they signed off on it. Holy SHIT, this is beyond bad...it is embarrassing. I guess that the people who

Four Seasons has ZERO to be worried about.

https://www.fourseasons.com/austin/l...180307181445:s
I sure hope something will be done about the lobby, because the Four Seasons and JW lobby look a whole lot better. I agree that this is very embarrassing.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 7:30 PM

I'm confused. Are those pictures of a mall food court or the Fairmont?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 9:57 PM

That lobby is grotesque. Gawwly they should update it it for this millennia. That person is right. Lakeline mall almost wore it better and it's 25 yrs old.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 10:17 PM

Last edited by Max Tower; Mar 7, 2018 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:53 PM

Wow. It looks like a dated 80s hotel in Miami - the type you'd expect a developer to come in and revamp with a modern edge. And there are certain sections that are reminiscent of a theme park food court. All I can say is that the JW Marriott's interior/lobby is 100x more immaculate. The whole thing looks kind of "cheap." Just down the street, Hotel Van Zandt blows it out of the water with their design as well - have spoken with many who are impressed by it. This is embarrassing.

Also, I thought the mesh on the skybridge was going to be more like what The Independent's balconies are covered with. Looks disheveled.

I know I just posted a paragraph but I'm speechless.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:45 AM

Even after finally opening after years of financing problems, value engineering, construction delays and lawsuits, it still can't catch a break. I'm looking forward to the Yelp reviews after it's been open for about a month. I want to see how it compares to other Fairmont properties.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Tower View Post
I shared this around the office today. Very chucklesome.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:54 AM

The only thing missing is a carousel.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
The Vegas hotel look may be exactly what they were gunning for. There's a demographic that likes/wants that. Read: convention goers.

I mean, it's what most of the Vegas strip and it's well known convention industry are built off of. Vegas style hotels. It's what they're famous for. This hotel is more for convention travelers than it is anyone else.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 12:54 PM

The San Diego reader has been at it again in its never ending quest to topple Manchester. They quote us again and refer to SSP as a rumor site.

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...r-pizza-oven/#

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
The Vegas hotel look may be exactly what they were gunning for. There's a demographic that likes/wants that. Read: convention goers.

I mean, it's what most of the Vegas strip and it's well known convention industry are built off of. Vegas style hotels. It's what they're famous for. This hotel is more for convention travelers than it is anyone else.
Going to stand up for poor misunderstood convention goers. I used to go to conventions a lot, and Vegas hotels were a liability, not a draw. One suffers through them, not looks forward to enjoying them.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:45 PM

For all the well deserved critiques of the pedestrian bridge, most of those cannot be leveled at the hotel. The Waller Creek Conservancy pretty much dictated the design of that bridge from start to finish. They are also pressuring the developer of block 36 as well a couple of other sites to fall in line with their vision of the park or portions of the projects will get blacklisted.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:59 PM

The bridge is an easy fix. Just grow Ivy up it. It would look great.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The San Diego reader has been at it again in its never ending quest to topple Manchester. They quote us again and refer to SSP as a rumor site.

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...r-pizza-oven/#
I won't be commenting on this thread again because of this -- I certainly don't intend my comments as a slam on Manchester or the team opening the Fairmont, and I frankly hate that my comments might be misconstrued or used in the service of someone trying to smear the project. That's not why I come to SSP, dammit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin