HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 7:41 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
15,000 fans in a 15,000 seat arena will ALWAYS make more money than 15,000 fans in a 20,000 seat arena.
And it's certainly better than 10,000 fans in any seat arena, paying $25 for lower bowl tickets. I think a lot of people really truly do not understand just how poor attendance and pricing has been in a lot of the sun belt. And contrary to how some pretend, this is not a recent phenomenon nor does it have anything to do with the recession.

I saw a report a while back that basically shows how Phoenix has lost more money, on average, per season than the Jets lost COMBINED in their ENTIRE WINNIPEG HISTORY. The Jets who were arguably one of the least successful franchises in NHL history, who played in arguably the NHL's smallest market.

I mean seriously: the nickel and diming type discussions recently make me laugh out loud, literally. These teams are bleeding money and have been pretty much since their inception. This isn't a 10% profit/loss margin we're talking about here. This is tens of millions of dollars. A franchise in Winnipeg would have to sell at Moose prices and Moose attendance levels to even approach the level of losses in Phoenix and Atlanta. And I don't think even the most pessimistic naysayer would claim that Winnipeg cannot support NHL hockey at Moose prices and attendance.

I fully admit that a team in Winnipeg will likely always remain in the bottom 1/3 of NHL revenues. But it will blow several existing franchises out of the water, and that should be enough.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
And it's certainly better than 10,000 fans in any seat arena, paying $25 for lower bowl tickets. I think a lot of people really truly do not understand just how poor attendance and pricing has been in a lot of the sun belt. And contrary to how some pretend, this is not a recent phenomenon nor does it have anything to do with the recession.

I saw a report a while back that basically shows how Phoenix has lost more money, on average, per season than the Jets lost COMBINED in their ENTIRE WINNIPEG HISTORY. The Jets who were arguably one of the least successful franchises in NHL history, who played in arguably the NHL's smallest market.

I mean seriously: the nickel and diming type discussions recently make me laugh out loud, literally. These teams are bleeding money and have been pretty much since their inception. This isn't a 10% profit/loss margin we're talking about here. This is tens of millions of dollars. A franchise in Winnipeg would have to sell at Moose prices and Moose attendance levels to even approach the level of losses in Phoenix and Atlanta. And I don't think even the most pessimistic naysayer would claim that Winnipeg cannot support NHL hockey at Moose prices and attendance.

I fully admit that a team in Winnipeg will likely always remain in the bottom 1/3 of NHL revenues. But it will blow several existing franchises out of the water, and that should be enough.

This is a brilliant point right here.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:03 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
This is a brilliant point right here.
*bows*

And I was drunk and angry when I posted it, so I'm happy it came out even remotely lucid.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 9:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
*bows*

And I was drunk and angry when I posted it, so I'm happy it came out even remotely lucid.
pretty much like most of my posts

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 3:22 AM
What could go wrong?

I haven't read this on here before, but if someone has mentioned it, please forgive me....

Has anyone realized the irony if we get the Jets/Coyotes back, the timing of it all....in 1996 when the Jets left the very last game was a first round home playoff loss to the Detroit Red Wings. Now in 2011 the Coyotes are getting spanked by the Red Wings again in the first round of the play offs. The Red wings may have the dubious distinction of ceremonially killing the same franchise TWICE.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 3:36 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I haven't read this on here before, but if someone has mentioned it, please forgive me....

Has anyone realized the irony if we get the Jets/Coyotes back, the timing of it all....in 1996 when the Jets left the very last game was a first round home playoff loss to the Detroit Red Wings. Now in 2011 the Coyotes are getting spanked by the Red Wings again in the first round of the play offs. The Red wings may have the dubious distinction of ceremonially killing the same franchise TWICE.
Yup, and this couldn't please me more

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 4:20 AM
Armchair urbanist

To continue the obscure, I heard a Jeff Stoughton reference.

1996: Stoughton wins Brier AND World Curling Championship (Jets leave)
2011: Stoughton wins Brier AND World Curling Championship (Jets return?)

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 5:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

interesting

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 5:38 AM

There sure were plenty of Red Wings Fans in the crowd in Glendale tonight. I wonder if they managed to get their playoff tickets free in that $49.00 special too!

In anycase, 3 - 0 series lead.
Either they sweep the series and the crowd says goodbye, or the 'yotes win one, go back to motown and get annihilated there. Meh.

So much for a magical playoff run to restore interest in Hockey in Phoenix.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 3:30 PM

Quote:
*bows*

It really is a good point that I havn't even thought of before, nor have I seen it brought up before...A Winnipeg team would need Manitoba Moose prices and attendance with an NHL team to be on the same level as Phoenix gate-wise revenue speaking. I read that and lightbulbs went off. Dunno why, they weren't thinking of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
To continue the obscure, I heard a Jeff Stoughton reference.

1996: Stoughton wins Brier AND World Curling Championship (Jets leave)
2011: Stoughton wins Brier AND World Curling Championship (Jets return?)

I was waiting for you to say April Fools but then I looked at the date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
So much for a magical playoff run to restore interest in Hockey in Phoenix.
Don't you understand? They need 15 more years worth of playoffs to restore interest! And an ownership group that cares! It has nothing to do with the general disinterest in the (greater) fanbase!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 7:34 PM

Absolutely, I agree! But you have to admit that the way that this series is turning out for the Coyotes / Bettman / Hulsizer / Glendale etc. is *NOT* what they needed, nor wanted. They're getting destroyed. The fans that showed up with their free playoff ticket can scream till they're white in the face (along with wearing the free t-shirt they got; last I checked, people in Winnipeg actually cared enough to wear white on their own without being given a t-shirt?), but they may only get 2 home playoff games... and maybe not even a proper chance to say goodbye (win game 4, then lose game 5 in Detroit).

Whats the rule of thumb for profit from playoff games (for a typical team?)... $1M per home game? So they lose $38M instead of $40M. Woot.

Whatever, anything is still possible, right?
Maybe John McCain wants to buy the team...

Oh and have a gander at this one...
http://www.kpho.com/valleynews/27598189/detail.html

apparently 43% are "OUTRAGED"

Last edited by Mininari; Apr 19, 2011 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 4:34 PM

Sorry for double-posting, but this is interesting...

http://arenadigest.com/201104203223/...eal-collapsing

Is Hulsizer's Coyotes deal collapsing?
Wednesday, 20 April 2011 11:50 Hockey - NHL
Arena Digest Writer

Plenty of whispers from Glendale and Jobing.com Arena about Matthew Hulsizer and the potential collapse of his purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes -- and the biggest clue may be his not showing up to a single playoff game.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 6:07 PM
Home of Hyperchange

It's done. The info (and more tellingly, the lack thereof) coming out the past few days speaks volumes. I won't bet my mortgage on this (I'm risk averse in general) but I'd bet a lot.

I will say once again that I'm extremely disappointed with Bettman and the BoG - they're not giving Phoenix fans the chance to say "good bye". We can joke about how few fans there are but they do exist and some are going to be extremely upset about losing the team. I know several personally and they do not deserve what happened to QC.

It was very cathartic for Winnipeggers to have that last season, and have a chance to go to that "last game", whichever one it was for any given person. And to have a proper funeral at the LAST last game.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 5:56 AM

4 - 0 SWEEP!
And now we're officially into Coyotes post-season speculation.

Would-be Coyotes owner Hulsizer attends Game 4, but situation murky
By: Bob Baum, The Associated Press

Posted: 04/20/2011 10:11 PM | Comments: 2 | Last Modified: 04/21/2011 12:22 AM

GLENDALE, Ariz. - Would-be owner Matthew Hulsizer was on hand to watch the Phoenix Coyotes get swept in their first-round playoff series against Detroit, a game that could mark the end of the NHL in the desert if serious roadblocks to the sale aren't resolved.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...120329669.html

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 7:22 AM

Take a look here people... Last week it was at around 25% now is well over 50%!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/jetsmeter/

I am from Saskatchewan and cheer for the Leafs, but I would be more than willing to come and cheer on the Jets every now and then driving from SSK isn't that far! GO JETS GO! Lets get Hockey Teams back where they belong! In the land of Red & White!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 2:49 PM

Stay Jets Stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Take a look here people... Last week it was at around 25% now is well over 50%!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/jetsmeter/

I am from Saskatchewan and cheer for the Leafs, but I would be more than willing to come and cheer on the Jets every now and then driving from SSK isn't that far! GO JETS GO! Lets get Hockey Teams back where they belong! In the land of Red & White!
As a devout Jets fan for life, when the peg gets its NHL team back I'd like to start a drive to officially ban the chant "Go Jets Go".

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Absolutely, I agree! But you have to admit that the way that this series is turning out for the Coyotes / Bettman / Hulsizer / Glendale etc. is *NOT* what they needed, nor wanted. They're getting destroyed. The fans that showed up with their free playoff ticket can scream till they're white in the face (along with wearing the free t-shirt they got; last I checked, people in Winnipeg actually cared enough to wear white on their own without being given a t-shirt?), but they may only get 2 home playoff games... and maybe not even a proper chance to say goodbye (win game 4, then lose game 5 in Detroit).

Whats the rule of thumb for profit from playoff games (for a typical team?)... $1M per home game? So they lose $38M instead of $40M. Woot.

Whatever, anything is still possible, right?
Maybe John McCain wants to buy the team...

Oh and have a gander at this one...
http://www.kpho.com/valleynews/27598189/detail.html

apparently 43% are "OUTRAGED"
Yeah, its sad on a number of levels. Yotes fans did sort of understand last night could be their last game, and did give an ovation. There were some tears, but when the Coyotes players skated back on, much of the building had already left, and 30% of that building was easily

On top of that, the NHL still really believes they can save it in Phoenix.

They are trying too hard...I'm beginning to wonder what this has to do with TNSE rolling along and preparing for the NHL and Atlanta trying to find investors (Sorry, "The Balkan" doesn't cut it for me...a real name would be nice) and the NHL not wanting to have two troubled teams in need of relocation during the summer

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 5:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
As a devout Jets fan for life, when the peg gets its NHL team back I'd like to start a drive to officially ban the chant "Go Jets Go".

Awesomesauce.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
LOL

missed this

very smart

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 10:02 PM

Phuck Foenix.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan