HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 8:42 AM
Emperor Disco I

Tucson does have nice nature made surroundings. It's the Tucson NIMBY's (and greedy developers) that made this BIG city unpleasant looking ( I was gonna used the word fuck'in ugly ... and the word 'butt' has been used already ).

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:14 PM
Emperor Disco I

I personally think we should build the $300 million bridge and yes, a (nice,domineering,tall,unique) tower to complement with that. Let me add, a biosphere park laced with solar panels covering that convento/mission garden museum. Maybe add a small aquarium in the museum district.

You'll never know 'things' might happen. I've never thought the MODERN light rail (I mocked and laughed about this light rail in the beginning. I thought it was stupid ... I changed 180 degrees thereafter ) will ever happen ... but it happened. Never thought people would actually visit and live (like myself) downtown ... but it happened.

There's a Tucson mayoral election this year. The first mayor that says 'NIMBYs, shut the fuck up' ... gets my vote.

Here's a website for some perspective why we, Americans, need to build big things . Hint: most of the structures in this site are outside the good ol' USA.

Here's the Tucson photo thread ... in case you missed it .

Remember folks ... terrorist, greedy developers, Iran and NIMBY's (that includes neighborhood activists) are out to destroy America. It's time to stop these fools!

Repost 3-08-2011

The current mayor from an interview ( http://www.azpm.org/news/ ) sometime last year, says the Rainbow Bridge IS still on the table. The city of Tucson has the blueprints and all the bureaucratic signatures blah blah etc.... The only thing missing of course is the $200-$300 million funds to actually build it. Personally, I think it should be built pending available funds. Our beloved US of America really need to build projects like these. If Phoenix, L.A. or wherever in the USA would build big ticket projects like these, I'd visit the place. I couldn't wait to visit San Francisco's Transbay Center myself when it's done.

ok, here's the video , http://www.azpm.org/news/story/2010/...ity-of-tucson/ . According to the mayor (this is before his announcement of not running for re-election), the funds to build the Science Center ( Rainbow Bridge has a science center in the bridge with an IMAX ) would come from private donations and/or low cost city bonds. I think they are opting for the smaller scale ($120 million bridge instead of the bigger $300 million bridge .... i prefer the bigger one, hope they change their mind ).

The candidates running for the mayor's seat so far have support to continue downtown renovation. One candidate even wants to build historic projects around the Santa Cruz river ( filling part of the river with water ).

Rainbow Bridge in pdf format

The architect's wiki page list UA Science Center in progress 2011 - I wished he'd be the architect for the new city/county court complex (see below)

More stuff about the UofA Science Center in pdf format ... there's a butterfly museum, telescope, cafe etc... The UA and City of Tucson can opt for the $300 million and work on phases as funds permit .

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 6:57 PM
Tucsonan

Toole avenue is going to start looking a lot nicer now.

WAMO buys warehouse at 197 E. Toole

By Teya Vitu

The overnight transformation of a bleak row of weathered warehouses on Toole Avenue starts May 14 with the planting of some 50 trees and the installation of various benches, art works and even a bus stop.

This is the realization of the long-murmured Art Walk, which was already a mature idea when drawn into the 2004 Tucson Historic Warehouse Arts District Master Plan.

The Art Walk will come right at the heels of the Warehouse Arts Management Organization completing the late March tortuous acquisition of the big blue warehouse at 197 E. Toole Ave. once known as the Toole Shed - and, yes, once again being called the Toole Shed Studios.

This is the first time WAMO, established in 2004, has owned property. Equally significant, WAMO’s new holdings now puts all the formerly state-owned warehouses on Toole Avenue between Stone and Sixth avenues in private hands.

This include the former Zee’s Warehouse, 1 E. Toole, bought at auction in November 2009 by Peach Properties; the neighboring 15-17-19 E. Toole warehouses auctioned the same day to Steve Fenton; the adjoining Solar Culture and Arches warehouses at 31 and 35 E. Toole auctioned to Fenton in April 2010, and Peach Properties submitting the winning bid that same day on 119 E. Toole, new home for Dinnerware Artspace and the soon-to-open Borderlands Brewery.

WAMO paid the market value $166,000 for the 197 E. Toole warehouse, financed by a five-year loan from the Tucson Industrial Development Authority. WAMO President Elizabeth Burden is confident that rents paid by artists and possible additional fundraising will retire the loan on time. The city still owns the land underneath the warehouse.

“Owning the Toole Shed fulfills a couple items in our mission statement,” Burden started, “in that we believe there needs to be artist-owned and artist-managed space and to ensure artists will be there for a long time. What owning the Toole Shed allows us to do is take another step in perpetuating artists’ role.”
WAMO is also negotiating with the city to buy the Steinfeld Warehouse, 101 W. Sixth St., from which the Arizona Department of Transportation evicted long-time tenant artists in July 2007. Since then the city took over ownership of the Steinfeld and Toole Shed in a land-swap with ADOT.

WAMO is a private, 501(c) 3 nonprofit, which was created in 2004 as the first recommendation implemented from the warehouse district master plan. WAMO’s mission is to preserve, protect, promote, and program the Warehouse Arts District, a warehouse-laden artist’s haven along Toole Avenue, Sixth Street and Sixth Avenue.

There Toole Shed open house from 5 to 7 p.m. on April 16, the same day as the Open Studios Tour. WAMO has a Web site at http://thewarehouseartsdistrict.com/.

“This is one of the few, if not only, master plans the city adopted that has made progress,” Burden said. “There are significant pieces of it coming to fruition. The next piece of it is the greening of Toole Avenue with the Art Walk.”

Like most overnight successes, even though the casual observer may have seen nothing promising happening on Toole Avenue throughout the 2000s, WAMO has worked pretty much nonstop since 2004 to preserve and protect the warehouses as artist studios and galleries.

There were no guarantees at all that the artist presence would be maintained as ADOT made it clear anybody could bid at auction. In fact, Fenton’s acquisition of his three warehouses raised alarms because nobody was sure if Fenton was at all committed to the arts-driven master plan.

Indeed, WAMO had put in a losing bid on the Solar Culture warehouse, but Fenton ultimately surprised the artist crowd with his commitment to the status quo.

Meanwhile, the city was rather poker-faced for a couple years before trading land with the state to acquire the Steinfeld and Toole Shed warehouses. WAMO had negotiated with the city to issue requests for proposals rather than go to auction, and WAMO convinced the city to add deed restriction that the buildings can only be used for arts uses.

Now WAMO’s garden is suddenly blooming and, quite by coincidence, the rest of the Downtown garden is barely a year into blooming itself.

“The metaphor of a garden is a good one,” Burden said. “2004 to now we were doing all the cultivation work, pulling weeds and gathering tools so the garden can grow.”

The 197 E. Toole warehouse long was home to the Museum of Contemporary Art, but there had always been artist studios in back prior to MOCA, during MOCA, and after MOCA left.

Burden said a gallery space will be installed at the front of the Toole Shed and neighboring Skrappy’s will have a retail space up front, too.

Meanwhile, the warehouse with the arches at 35 E. Toole that is called Arches is filled up with artists and a specialty toy shop. The 1 E. Toole warehouse is the only one whose future is undetermined so far.

Peach Property owners Ron and Patricia Schwabe have stripped 1 E. Toole down to an empty shell and stabilized the building.

“We’re hoping to determine the users by summer,” Patricia Schwabe said. “We hope to have a direction in summer. People rent in summer.”

The Schwabes are considering whether to get one large tenant or hire a manager to bring in numerous smaller tenants.

“We are lighting a fuse,” Ron Schwabe said. “There will be an explosion of energy and action on Toole Avenue. This is where it’s starting.”

http://www.downtowntucson.org/news/?p=3187

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 9:43 PM
Emperor Disco I

Video about United Streetcar, the Portland, Oregon company contracted to build Tucson's streetcar.

Video Link

3-D Video animation of the Tucson MODERN Streetcar

Video Link

fyi, here's how to embed a youtube video in skyscraper

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 11:02 PM
Emperor Disco I

Let's Learn About Food Trucks!
POSTED BY ADAM BOROWITZ ON TUE, APR 12, 2011 AT 3:39 PM

If you've grown weary of my endless prattle regarding the magnificence of food trucks, you can go down to Dinnerware Artspace at 119 E. Toole Ave. at 7 p.m. tonight and hear other people prattle on about the magnificence of food trucks.

The short version is this: Other cities are doing big things with food trucks, and a growing group of Tucsonans want to do the same. The presentation tonight will show what's happening in other cities while also touching on some of the health-code requirements to keep in mind when starting a food truck.

From an announcement circulated by Dinnerware Artspace:

Tuesday, April 12th, 7pm
Let's talk about Food Trucks in Tucson. Why don't we have more innovative cuisine in Tucson wheels? We're gathering images from food trucks from other towns such as Portland, Austin, Los Angeles which we will show you. Pima County health codes will be available to hand out followed by a brief talk under the "where to from here" category.
Speaking of which, there's finally a Facebook page devoted to Tucson food-truck culture. You can find that here.

Original post at Tucson Weekly

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:31 AM
Tucsonan

This sounds exciting, cant wait to hear which proposals are going to be built!

Giddy about downtown
Folks at City Hall are so giddy they're having trouble containing themselves for the official announcement that's supposed to happen next Friday (April 15) in which the University of Arizona is supposed to reveal it is awarding two contracts to build some major student housing in downtown Tucson.
With the soon-to-be under construction modern streetcar, downtown and the UA will have connectivity and the complexes that will accommodate up to 1,300 students will provide the critical population mass that should spark energy downtown.

It also helps that the UA is finally doing something about the shortage of student-housing, which directly contributed to building of minidorms in neighborhoods north of the campus.

http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/...cc4c03286.html

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:34 AM
Tucsonan

rendering of new court complex

inside tucson business

Pima County follows private sector lead on new courthouse

Taking a page from the private sector, construction of a planned Pima County-Tucson combined court complex downtown will follow a common practice used by retail and office building developers. As the "anchor," Pima County will own the building, occupy much of the space and seek a tenant to share costs.
As planned, the preferred tenant is the City of Tucson.
"By combining resources, the county and city will see real economies of scale. It's a very smart and clever move by the county, to build the facility and operate it as a landlord. That is very common in the private sector, to put up a shell and build the tenant improvements later. We don't see that often in the public sector," said Kurt Wadlington, senior project director for Sundt Construction.
Sundt has a $500,000 contract to review construction and material costs for the 256,000 square-foot structure and provide the county with a maximum guaranteed price. Located on a triangle-shaped 4.3 acres on the southeast corner of Toole Avenue and Stone Avenue, the seven-story complex is estimated to cost $35 million to $40 million.
Pima County would occupy 38 percent of the space with plans for the city to lease the balance. Total tenant improvements will cost another $35 million. Both governments' existing courts are in overcrowded or aged buildings.
Amid concerns the city may not have the means to pay its share, county officials are proceeding, albeit cautiously.
"We're moving ahead, our tenant is lined up. We plan to capture the very favorable conditions and prices now in the construction market," said Reid Spaulding, facilities management director for Pima County. "By not waiting, there's $5 million in savings for the shell and core."
The high-tech building will be a 24/7 operation with advanced security and video arraignment capabilities. Since it will serve two jurisdictions, Spaulding said the complex will have holding cells and "high-volume courtrooms" to get arrestees before judges quickly.
Pima County hopes to break ground in July and have the shell done by August 2012. The project includes a parking garage on the site's southern perimeter.

http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/...cc4c002e0.html

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
You'll never know 'things' might happen. I've never thought the MODERN light rail (I mocked and laughed about this light rail in the beginning. I thought it was stupid ... I changed 180 degrees thereafter ) will ever happen ... but it happened. Never thought people would actually visit and live (like myself) downtown ... but it happened.
Oh, please, PLEASE, PLEASE stop calling it a light rail. I dream of a light rail in Tucson, and every time you refer to our new handicapable trolley as a "light-rail system", it is a dagger in my chest.

I think it is a great thing, I think it will lead to development... but please don't remind me of what we might have had

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:01 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
Oh, please, PLEASE, PLEASE stop calling it a light rail. I dream of a light rail in Tucson, and every time you refer to our new handicapable trolley as a "light-rail system", it is a dagger in my chest.

I think it is a great thing, I think it will lead to development... but please don't remind me of what we might have had
Is this 'trolley' too slow? Too many stops? Not much rail tracks? Please explain.
I'm hoping the rail tracks gets extended all over Tucson even reaching Bisbee, Green Valley, Sierra Vista and Mt. Lemon....Marana, Oro Valley, Sahuarita etc..

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:46 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post

inside tucson business

Taking a page from the private sector, construction of a planned Pima County-Tucson combined court complex downtown will follow a common practice used by retail and office building developers. As the "anchor," Pima County will own the building, occupy much of the space and seek a tenant to share costs.
"By combining resources, the county and city will see real economies of scale. It's a very smart and clever move by the county, to build the facility and operate it as a landlord. That is very common in the private sector, to put up a shell and build the tenant improvements later. We don't see that often in the public sector," said Kurt Wadlington, senior project director for Sundt Construction.
Sundt has a $500,000 contract to review construction and material costs for the 256,000 square-foot structure and provide the county with a maximum guaranteed price. Located on a triangle-shaped 4.3 acres on the southeast corner of Toole Avenue and Stone Avenue, the seven-story complex is estimated to cost $35 million to $40 million.
Pima County would occupy 38 percent of the space with plans for the city to lease the balance. Total tenant improvements will cost another $35 million. Both governments' existing courts are in overcrowded or aged buildings.
Amid concerns the city may not have the means to pay its share, county officials are proceeding, albeit cautiously.
"We're moving ahead, our tenant is lined up. We plan to capture the very favorable conditions and prices now in the construction market," said Reid Spaulding, facilities management director for Pima County. "By not waiting, there's $5 million in savings for the shell and core."
The high-tech building will be a 24/7 operation with advanced security and video arraignment capabilities. Since it will serve two jurisdictions, Spaulding said the complex will have holding cells and "high-volume courtrooms" to get arrestees before judges quickly.
Pima County hopes to break ground in July and have the shell done by August 2012. The project includes a parking garage on the site's southern perimeter.

The building rendering is decent and better than the older rendering. But then that's what I said with the TEP rendering and it's turning out to be a much nicer building. I'm glad they are moving forward with this.

Having been a county employee at the old county courthouse way back in the 90's, this building is long overdue. The old courthouse constantly leaks during rain, the elevator constantly breaks down, not enough space to store things, overcrowding etc...

I'm hoping along the way, the other city/county offices would integrate into another building and make way for the old buildings (except the old courthouse) for private development.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post

inside tucson business

The rendering looks pretty good i guess, but i would really like to see some space for some ground level shopping or restaurants. That whole section of downtown pretty much dies off every night around 6pm or so and it would be nice to see a cool restaurant in that area. Also Im not too big on these new building renderings having so much space from the actual building to the street/sidewalk. All this open space and trees and planters nonsense should not be in the middle of a dense urban area.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Is this 'trolley' too slow? Too many stops? Not much rail tracks? Please explain.
I'm hoping the rail tracks gets extended all over Tucson even reaching Bisbee, Green Valley, Sierra Vista and Mt. Lemon....Marana, Oro Valley, Sahuarita etc..
First let me say, after re-reading my post, I'm really not sure how people are reading my tone. You know how it goes with these interwebs. I'm giddy with excitement over the Modern Streetcar.

Ah, so there are generally a few distinction and one is right of way. From everything I've seen and read, the Modern Streetcar will share the road with cars, meaning if traffic is backed up on Congress or University, the Streetcar is going to be stuck there too. (think of Main Gate at 5pm)

Light rail would have its own track, even if it has to stop at an occasional red light, which is the case in Tempe/Mesa (I think there may be some road sharing in downtown Phoenix, can't remember). Overall this makes light rail a 1000 times more reliable than buses when it comes to keeping a schedule.

A Tucson light rail could extend to Oro Valley/Marana, but for Sierra Vista, Bisbee etc., now you are going miles between stops, and now you're talking about more of a commuter train. In D.C. however, the subway cars function as both. Once outside the beltway, they speed up, travel further between stops, and I believe will soon reach into south-central Pennsylvania, roughly a Tucson to Bisbee distance.

Last edited by Thirsty; Apr 14, 2011 at 6:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 7:27 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
First let me say, after re-reading my post, I'm really not sure how people are reading my tone. You know how it goes with these interwebs. I'm giddy with excitement over the Modern Streetcar.

Ah, so there are generally a few distinction and one is right of way. From everything I've seen and read, the Modern Streetcar will share the road with cars, meaning if traffic is backed up on Congress or University, the Streetcar is going to be stuck there to. (think of Main Gate at 5pm)

Light rail would have its own track, even if it has to stop at an occasional red light, which is the case in Tempe/Mesa (I think there may be some road sharing in downtown Phoenix, can't remember). Overall this makes light rail a 1000 times more reliable than buses when it comes to keeping a schedule.

A Tucson light rail could extend to Oro Valley/Marana, but for Sierra Vista, Bisbee etc., now you are going miles between stops, and now you're talking about more of a commuter train. In D.C. however, the subway cars function as both. Once outside the beltway, they speed up, travel further between stops, and I believe will soon reach into south-central Pennsylvania, roughly a Tucson to Bisbee distance.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm all for efficiency for all types of rail service. Yes, it does seem our light rail system would share the same rules as vehicles. I'd see the current rail system as a 'starter' just to build momentum for further extension of this rail service along the way and hopefully, the city would find more efficient means to speed the service.

I'd like this rail system , as you do, because 1) it reduces air pollution 2) it has the potential to create new construction and businesses within the rail line 3) it's an alternative public transportation 4) it's the future .

It certainly would be much nicer to have a monorail that would extend all over. I remember there was a proposal to build a monorail between Vegas and LA. around 2008 by Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 6:32 AM

Quote:
I'd like this rail system , as you do, because 1) it reduces air pollution 2) it has the potential to create new construction and businesses within the rail line 3) it's an alternative public transportation 4) it's the future .

It certainly would be much nicer to have a monorail that would extend all over. I remember there was a proposal to build a monorail between Vegas and LA. around 2008 by Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada.
I can never shake the image of monorails as "tourist movers". They work at airports, disneyworld etc. I don't think Tucson needs to look to the sky for transit. We've got the room, the low density, and the layout to accommodate new ground-based systems.

I'd like to see light rail from the airport, up Campbell to the university, then downtown (maybe via Speedway*** to spur some redevelopment/infill) from downtown you might continue east on Broadway to El Con and complete a loop and gradually build east. (maybe people who do this for a living will say that is too small of a loop... i don't know) Also, from downtown build due north to avoid redundancy with I-10.

If there ever were a high speed Tuc-Phx rail, Main and Speedway seems like an ideal place for your futuristic euro-inspired transit station/architectural monument. You could get off the bullet train and catch light rail to the UA/airport or take a line downtown/eastside or even backtrack to the northern suburbs.

So I hope the streetcar is more of "let's get our foot in the door" rather than another case of thinking small.

***If Tucson were a house, Speedway east of I-10 would be the entry hall, and our entry hall might be the ugliest part of the whole house. To me, this puts that corridor on the revitalization priority list.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 6:44 AM

Does anyone have a clue why the YMCA plot developers only agreed to preserve the two old adobes for 10 years? Are they planning to extend the building at that point? Seems to me, once you build your structure... you stop worrying about razing nearby homes.

To me the property owner would benefit from getting that rezoned commercial. Put in a Rincon Market type place or eatery. The two houses could be gutted and combined in a way that preserved the architecture and history of the neighborhood. (I mean, if you were going to raze them anyhow, who cares if you just tear out the insides) It is so close to 4th Ave, it has got to have commercial value, not to mention the 700-some trust fund babies living 40 feet away.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 10:36 AM

An update from a friend of mine!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 2:33 PM
Emperor Disco I

the TEP building looks nice. I've said this again and I'll say it again - the Chicago Music Store needs at least a facade renovation. It's an eyesore.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 2:48 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
So I hope the streetcar is more of "let's get our foot in the door" rather than another case of thinking small.
I agree. I'm afraid the Old Pueblo might revert back to the 'small thinking' mode. Tucson has this culture of fluctuating between growth and anti-growth. My guess here is that the light rail will be extended considering the seemingly permanent high cost of unleaded fuel.

Let me add. Tucson deserves a highly urbanized area of high density with taller high rises and central Tucson is that location. I don't know what are the zoning rules in central Tucson but it should have zoning rules that makes it easy to build high rises (of course, preserved the real historic neighborhoods). The nimby's can have their choice outside central Tucson (a lot of choices). So there's a choice for everyone.

Last edited by acatalanb; Apr 14, 2011 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 1:55 AM

Quote:
My guess here is that the light rail will be extended considering the seemingly permanent high cost of unleaded fuel.
Payment plans were not created for clear minded people like you. Unfortunately, this makes you a weirdo.

Quote:
Let me add. Tucson deserves a highly urbanized area of high density with taller high rises and central Tucson is that location. I don't know what are the zoning rules in central Tucson but it should have zoning rules that makes it easy to build high rises (of course, preserved the real historic neighborhoods). The nimby's can have their choice outside central Tucson (a lot of choices). So there's a choice for everyone.
I want infill and development in the urban core, but I wish we didn't tear down our architectural core to build structures that look like they belong in an office park. I'm so happy TEP moved all those people down town, but seeing it in context of where it sits drives my previous point home.

While I'm for higher density development, I'm more NIMBY when it comes to downtown than most people here (yeah, I know it is a SKYSCRAPER forum) I'd rather see page 49 of the .pdf Anqrew posted last month. I wish Tucson would incorporate the old architecture. In my mind cities like DC are a better model than LA or Phoenix.

I'm less sympathetic to NIMBYs East of 4th, or North of Speedway. Those houses may be old, but there are thousands of examples of those styles elsewhere. In my personal karma, a re-purposed or renovated adobe pueblo is worth 1,000 concrete block ranch homes because there are 1,000 times as many of them (fingers crossed for Tucson's sake that those things come back into style).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 2:00 AM

Quote:
the TEP building looks nice. I've said this again and I'll say it again - the Chicago Music Store needs at least a facade renovation. It's an eyesore.
Chicago Store... unfulfilled potential. How many years since that truck crashed into its storefront? Five? Six? Don't they have insurance?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest