HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I'm thinking the map is from the 50's at some point. Uranium City was founded in 1952.
it definitely could be. air canada had it in their "1940s" section of their history thing.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 6:02 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
I'm thinking the map is from the 50's at some point. Uranium City was founded in 1952.
And there was no Lynn Lake until well into the 50s, I don't think. That map would have shown Sherridon rather than Lynn Lake before the mid-50s, I'm pretty sure.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 7:28 PM
BANNED

delete

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 2:36 AM
Heart of the Continent

So, if Winnipeg grows at a similar rate again this year, it will finally top the 2007 passenger numbers:

http://www.waa.ca/uploads/ck/files/W...s-Jan-2013.pdf

So far, we're still behind the 2007 and 2006 numbers, but ahead of the rest.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 4:49 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure you could do a non-stop from Winnipeg to the UK without stopping in Gander until later than the 50's. Not sure when planes came on the market with that kind of range.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 2:16 PM

warning warning warning, this has nothing to do with Winnipeg airport! Here's some photos's of Dubai's new dedicated terminal for the A380 and some of the 1st class section of the plane. Wow!

http://www.canada.com/travel/Photo+G...194/story.html

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 2:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
warning warning warning, this has nothing to do with Winnipeg airport! Here's some photos's of Dubai's new dedicated terminal for the A380 and some of the 1st class section of the plane. Wow!

http://www.canada.com/travel/Photo+G...194/story.html
We are in Dubai right now. I can attest first hand that the new 380 terminal is mighty impressive.

.......I tell you, there are so many 1,000 ft skyscrapers here that they almost look ordinary. The scene on the Marina Walk in Marina City is a solid wall of supertalls..........aaaaaamazing.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
We are in Dubai right now. I can attest first hand that the new 380 terminal is mighty impressive.

.......I tell you, there are so many 1,000 ft skyscrapers here that they almost look ordinary. The scene on the Marina Walk in Marina City is a solid wall of supertalls..........aaaaaamazing.
work or pleasure? interesting place to be, I'd love to chat with you sometime about that place.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Is it true that they require a retina scan at the airport before they allow you into teh country?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 4:22 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the us does that to people now ^^

cool biff u need to do a photo thread

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 4:34 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the us does that to people now ^^
They didn't in November.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
They didn't in November.
i've had fingerprint scan a few times going to USA but never rectum, i mean retina scan.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 6:39 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Is it true that they require a retina scan at the airport before they allow you into teh country?
If they scanned my retinas by taking a picture of me from 5 ft away then I guess they have some pretty cool technology. I never had to look into anything so I don't believe they scan people's retinas. I also don't believe the US scans retinas. We travel there fairly frequently and I have never had that.

........we are here visiting friends.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 7:10 AM

Canadians have been exempt from the USA's immigration procedure for sometime. Most foreigners are fingerprinted upon entry.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 1:00 PM

South of the airport - construction fencing is up and the parking is being torn up as I type this. Is this the other hotel starting up?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 1:32 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
South of the airport - construction fencing is up and the parking is being torn up as I type this. Is this the other hotel starting up?
I believe it is a Courtyard by Marriott.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 5:13 PM

so my friend there at the airport says that Delta is suppose to be getting its 6th flight back (of course just to Minneapolis) but the 6th flight is suppose to be a CRJ900. and they are suppose to be keeping there E170 & E175 planes too... so my friend was saying 3 CRJ200, 1 E170 & 1 E175 and 1 CRJ900 operated by 3 different Delta Connection Carriers... on delta.com it sure doesnt show that for the summer but hopefully it will change and Winnipeg can keep 3 dual class planes.
and she said they are suppose to go to Atlanta again their management to see for other destinations again in the up coming months.

hopefully some good news for our airport!!!! and I was creeping on Edmontons airport page and saw someone did a thing with Icelandair and Icelandair replied to that person and said Edmonton is one of the Canadian Cities they are looking at to start up in 2014... maybe Winnipeg is one too.....?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
so my friend there at the airport says that Delta is suppose to be getting its 6th flight back (of course just to Minneapolis) but the 6th flight is suppose to be a CRJ900. and they are suppose to be keeping there E170 & E175 planes too... so my friend was saying 3 CRJ200, 1 E170 & 1 E175 and 1 CRJ900 operated by 3 different Delta Connection Carriers... on delta.com it sure doesnt show that for the summer but hopefully it will change and Winnipeg can keep 3 dual class planes.
and she said they are suppose to go to Atlanta again their management to see for other destinations again in the up coming months.

hopefully some good news for our airport!!!! and I was creeping on Edmontons airport page and saw someone did a thing with Icelandair and Icelandair replied to that person and said Edmonton is one of the Canadian Cities they are looking at to start up in 2014... maybe Winnipeg is one too.....?
I would assume Winnipeg is since we already have direct flights to Reykjavik? They are also our sister city.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I would assume Winnipeg is since we already have direct flights to Reykjavik? They are also our sister city.
The Iceland Express weekly/biweekly flights to Reykjavik only ran for the summers of 2010 and 2011.

I also wouldn't put too much stock in the sister city designation, as Winnipeg doesn't have flights to any of its 11 official sister cities.

I don't expect Winnipeg to get any scheduled (as opposed to charter) nonstop flights to Europe anytime in the next few years, but if we somehow pulled it off it would more than likely be to one of the big hubs like London or Frankfurt.

All this being said, it is a little disappointing that the new terminal hasn't yielded any new routes from Winnipeg. At the end of the day we still have the same US connections that Regina and Saskatoon do... the only major difference I'm aware of being that Winnipeg's WestJet flight to Las Vegas runs all year round instead of seasonal as in Saskatchewan. You would think that we could score a measly year-round scheduled flight to Phoenix or San Francisco, just so we can feel like we're getting better service for the bloated airport improvement fees we have to pay.

Last edited by esquire; Apr 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:07 PM

Did you guys know that Allegiant Air is making a few trips out of YWG to Wendover (small gabmling place in Utah). They're infrequent (1 in April, 1 in May, 2 in July) but interesting as they use to only fly out of GFK.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan