HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillehorn View Post
I want to see if possible, an on-campus venue preferably where Gregory or the PCL currently sit. A massive renovation of Gregory, incorporating the space of the rec facilities attached, redone into a 10,000-12000 seat arena, with an intimate, classic field house atmosphere. There's likely enough room in there, and given there are 2 rec sports facilities on campus (a replacement for Gregory wouldn't be hard to do) this proximity for the arena would be excellent. Same for the PCL, which is an out-dated, fallout shelter-designed library from the '70's; lots of wasted space in that place, and its a bit of an eyesore to boot. (I spent quality nights in there over 4 (5) years so it won't be without a bittersweet farewell.)

I know Texas Football is King, but when you're basketball program is one of 3 or 4 in the country to turn a legitimate profit ($8-10 MM/yr), all the while doing it w/ that cavernous circus arena that is currently the Erwin Center, it makes sense to think about investing in something appropriately sized in the heart and spirit of campus. Basketball programs take the next step based on homecourt advantages and student body experiences; it helps recruiting, morale, donations, everything. It makes sense to invest in this way. Especially when your current venue is going to be demolished anyway
I don't think there is any chance of that happening. With a smaller venue, we wouldnt be able to attract bigger acts to come and perform in Austin. There is alot of money brought in to the local economy when we have acts such as Paul McCartney come to Austin. Plus there is already an arena of the size you are talking about, the Cedar Park Events Center. I could see them doing something like an AT&T Center here. They need something of that size to stay competetive with surrounding big cities.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 12:08 PM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by genop View Post
I don't think there is any chance of that happening. With a smaller venue, we wouldnt be able to attract bigger acts to come and perform in Austin. There is alot of money brought in to the local economy when we have acts such as Paul McCartney come to Austin. Plus there is already an arena of the size you are talking about, the Cedar Park Events Center. I could see them doing something like an AT&T Center here. They need something of that size to stay competetive with surrounding big cities.
The idea of Gregory is that this is for a schools basketball programs. Moving those programs to that location would be fantastic for them. If the city want pop concerts and sesame street on ice and such then the city should build something for them.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
The idea of Gregory is that this is for a schools basketball programs. Moving those programs to that location would be fantastic for them. If the city want pop concerts and sesame street on ice and such then the city should build something for them.
I doubt UT would want to miss out on their cut of the action from the acts that perform at the FEC.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 12:34 PM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by genop View Post
I doubt UT would want to miss out on their cut of the action from the acts that perform at the FEC.
UT having a good, and more popular, program will and does make the make them a lot more money than any thing they get from hosting the circus. Remember there is a lot more to programs like that than tickets, like mercendise and TV deals. Moving to the center of campus would be the best thing for that program.

And IMO that would be best for Austin too. Austin needs something close to the convention center or Long center. Also Austin really need something that can fit 18-20k. UT is not going to provide either of those. The types of event you are talking about need to be seperated from the UT basketball programs. I believe Austin has grown enough it needs its own place now. Or really it passed that point a long time ago, but always had the FEC so we have never gotten a real facility like we need.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 5:26 PM

I find myself on the fence on this one. The FEC is in a great location. Between Downtown and Campus. It's an easy walk from either direction. While I understand UT does well on the B'ball program, it seems like the profit from the rest of the year has to be attractive....b'ball only takes up one season after all. (Note the university moved local arts of campus to have greater use/profit from Bass.... we did benefit from that action)

It is curious to me that UT has not mentioned where an arena would be built in all of the "Master Plan" announcements. I wonder if they are thinking off campus? It makes me think there are other discussion going on that are not public. I wonder if there are, god forbid, actual talks going on to create a public/private effort? ( See: Louisville).

Perhpas UT could negotiate with other agencies in the state....tear down some of those god-awful parking decks onTrinity and build an Arena on top of parking.
That would keep an Arena in a location that would also connect both directions and bring more life to a part of the CBD that is underutilized.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 7:13 PM

Good thing is, we should see some movement on this either way within the next couple of years, as the med school gets going and they have the ticking clock till the Erwin will need to be removed. They'll need to have some lead time to open a new venue just as the FEC is being shut down. Unless it coincides w/ the off season, I would expect the Erwin to be decommissioned, just as this new basketball venue is completed.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 9:34 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

My first choice would be for on campus arena but if they decide to build it elsewhere, I'd rather have it by the Convention Center. I think it could be another added plus for the city to bring in more events plus with the commuter line and access to multiple hotels, might be a better option in regards to traffic to and from the arena.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 10:25 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

What lots near the convention center do y'all see as having potential?

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 10:54 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
But you are right that it may be too big for that APD location. I'm just not sure we couldn't fit it in less than a 4 block area.

This is all with the thought in mind that the city builds its own arena and UT builds their own. If they're going to share, I'd much rather the arena be on campus.
It wouldn't fit on any block in downtown without closing a street, and since people have already raised the issue negatively about closing streets in downtown, it wouldn't work. We already lost a lot of through streets for the convention center, the federal building, the federal courthouse and the governor's mansion.

Most of the blocks in downtown are 275x275 feet. The Erwin Center building itself is 400 feet wide.

The largest blocks in downtown that haven't been conjoined with another are the ones that front Congress Avenue. Those are 275X335 feet.

The only other place with a large area would be the three blocks east of the convention center along Cesar Chavez. But one of those blocks includes Palm park which was one of the original parks in the city plan. And I don't think that would fit either because Waller Creek runs through part of it.

I still say the best option is having it be south of the DKR stadium.

The AT&T Center in San Antonio is also at least 418x545 feet

Alamodome is 600x740 feet

American Airlines Arena in Dallas is 400x510 feet

Toyota Center in Houston is 424x490 feet

Also sports arenas kill downtowns. They're like urban theme parks. They create dead zones around them Example? Our convention center area and the DKR Stadium and Erwin Center.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 12:06 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

If they're going to share, the area on campus south of Memorial Stadium would be great. I'd love for it to be in Gregory, but that's probably not feasible.

I just really don't want to share an arena off campus.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It wouldn't fit on any block in downtown without closing a street, and since people have already raised the issue negatively about closing streets in downtown, it wouldn't work. We already lost a lot of through streets for the convention center, the federal building, the federal courthouse and the governor's mansion.

Most of the blocks in downtown are 275x275 feet. The Erwin Center building itself is 400 feet wide.

The largest blocks in downtown that haven't been conjoined with another are the ones that front Congress Avenue. Those are 275X335 feet.

The only other place with a large area would be the three blocks east of the convention center along Cesar Chavez. But one of those blocks includes Palm park which was one of the original parks in the city plan. And I don't think that would fit either because Waller Creek runs through part of it.

I still say the best option is having it be south of the DKR stadium.

The AT&T Center in San Antonio is also at least 418x545 feet

Alamodome is 600x740 feet

American Airlines Arena in Dallas is 400x510 feet

Toyota Center in Houston is 424x490 feet

Also sports arenas kill downtowns. They're like urban theme parks. They create dead zones around them Example? Our convention center area and the DKR Stadium and Erwin Center.
Only area where it works is American Airlines in Dallas where you have Victory Park sprung up out of it. Its a pretty hi-fi area for retail, residential, and tourism, but again, Dallas has a douschey-ness about it that can pull off such a feat. (I kid Dallas..)

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 12:09 PM

I was thinking they should build an arena maybe something similar to the BOK Center in Tulsa and put it across the river where the Statesman facility is. How awesome would that be and we can surround the new arena with high density mixed use projects as well.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 9:19 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

That'd be fine for a city arena, but not a preferred option for a UT arena.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 10:38 PM

I love the idea of having an arena where the Statesman building is now. That'd be perfect from a city/entertainment perspective. I can't imagine a more marquee venue than that in the city of Austin. It'd be great for local music. However, in that scenario, It might be better for the city and the university to build separate arenas. That would allow UT to build a smaller, more intimate one somewhere on campus. On the other hand, it could be good for basketball recruiting to have such a cool place to play, so, I don't know.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I love the idea of having an arena where the Statesman building is now. That'd be perfect from a city/entertainment perspective. I can't imagine a more marquee venue than that in the city of Austin. It'd be great for local music. However, in that scenario, It might be better for the city and the university to build separate arenas. That would allow UT to build a smaller, more intimate one somewhere on campus. On the other hand, it could be good for basketball recruiting to have such a cool place to play, so, I don't know.
Another good option I always thought would be at the southeast corner of highways 290 east and 183 (aka Ed Bluestein). There's a huge chunk of land there just ripe for a massive project. Heck maybe even a theme park adjacent to a new arena!

Last edited by OU812; May 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 7:31 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I completely agree. Really important to keep the arena downtown for a variety of reasons. This location is brilliant because no one visits this part of the river already, but could be accessible to much new development both north and south of it's location. It could also, in 10-12 years, be connected by rail to campus and help provide an easy way for students and others to travel to and from the stadium within downtown.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 7:40 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
What lots near the convention center do y'all see as having potential?
I've already posted where It could go. Does anybody not read my posts????

I said put it just on the other side of 35 just south along the Commuter line, there is enough open land there, no houses, there's that ugly old junk yard that could be removed. Its not officially in DT but its right there and easy access to rail, the hotels and the Convention Center not to mention 6th.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 7:51 PM

Hey, has anyone seen Jdawg lately? He hasn't posted on here in quite awhile.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Hey, has anyone seen Jdawg lately? He hasn't posted on here in quite awhile.

Who?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 10:32 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I've already posted where It could go. Does anybody not read my posts????

I said put it just on the other side of 35 just south along the Commuter line, there is enough open land there, no houses, there's that ugly old junk yard that could be removed. Its not officially in DT but its right there and easy access to rail, the hotels and the Convention Center not to mention 6th.
Just to shoot down everything mentioned so far:

Those lots should be residential redevelopment, not civic/commercial. Especially given that basketball arenas are usually used as music venues as well. Can you imagine the noise nightmare for all the folks around there?

It isn't going to go on campus, either (there isn't anywhere to put it), nor will two arenas be built. Austin will not have its own basketball team, not should they try to get one (it is a waste of public funds). Having the university team is just fine, and building an arena in conjunction with them is fine as well.

It won't be the Statesman lot, as there are already ideas for that lot that are much better suited for the area - and the lot itself isn't big enough at all (if you could parcel it together with the surrounding lots it would be, but not by itself).

It won't be in Mueller, as those plans are too far progressed to change (though this would be far superior to anything above).

What I would like to see is to utilize some of the empty land in Roy Guerrero park for an arena just south of the Krieg Softball Complex. It would be in proximity to the urban rail line (eventually), facilitating transport of students, and it's already in a student heavy area anyway incidentally.

Utilizing underground parking could very easily be done to keep the area scenic, and allow for better integration and flow into the parkland. It would be a good destination and draw people to actually utilize this park, which is woefully underused as it is.

Street level retail along Pleasant Valley could be done (as in the arena could be built literally adjacent to the street to save space and minimize destruction of parkland), along with upgrades to Longhorn Shores (the park across the street) into a riverside promenade that would nicely dovetail with an arena development.

Some, ofcourse, would call this blasphemy because we're "getting rid of parkland," but I'd remind them that large portions of this park serve absolutely no purpose and are not used at all by anyone.

It also happens that a development like this would fit into the city's plan w/r/t this area of town, as a denser more urban environment. It would complement the recent and forthcoming developments in the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations