HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:45 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

It sure looks like a great building.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 2:46 AM

SoMA

Harristown Development Corp. is now using the name SoMA to brand a section of downtown Harrisburg.

But we know where this really originated.

Way back in June "Bone" at HarrisburgNightLife began referring to the area between Chestnut and Market as "SoMA."

Now that name has been officially adopted (or should we say co-opted), the Central Penn Business Journal reports.

SoMA banners will be hung along South Third, Chestnut, Dewberry and Blackberry streets in the hope that the brand helps attract businesses to that section of downtown.

Bricco, El Sol , Tara Station, Whitaker Center and the Susquehanna Art Museum are some of the SoMA residents.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 2:25 PM

The reviews on various Harrisburg blogs for the addition of Harrisburg's 3rd tallest building seem to be positive. Although, everyone seems to be in agreement that it should be taller!

Does anyone know - is there a rule or statute that limits the height in downtown Harrisburg to be under 20-stories for new buildings? it just seems odd that nothing over 18-stories has been built since the 1970s. ???

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 3:23 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs921 View Post
The reviews on various Harrisburg blogs for the addition of Harrisburg's 3rd tallest building seem to be positive. Although, everyone seems to be in agreement that it should be taller!

Does anyone know - is there a rule or statute that limits the height in downtown Harrisburg to be under 20-stories for new buildings? it just seems odd that nothing over 18-stories has been built since the 1970s. ???

I've read through the building zoning codes and I don't remember anything. Is there an additional expense if buildings go over 20? Maybe with cranes or required foundation? And if you look at it in another way there has never been a private building that tall right? 333 Market is a goverment building. Not sure but the tallest buildings in Harrisburg are East of Third.

I have a copy of the building zones. If it is on my flash drive I'll find it and send it to your email. It is long and I don't have the time today to sort through it.

Last edited by Young Gun; Dec 5, 2007 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 5:18 PM
Man on a mission

sent it to your yahoo account. it is a little over 4 mb so let me know if you don't receive it

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 8:30 PM

In other road improvement news, they just took down all of the boarded up houses along the northbound side of Rt. 15 near the cap. city mall. Seems they may be moving ahead on the 581/15 widening/re-ramping project.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 10:49 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
making it not only amongst the tallest three structures in Harrisburg but amongst the tallest five buildings in Pennsylvania between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
Um not to rain on the parade here, but that is really not that impressive when you consider what is found between Philly and Pittsburgh.

This looks like a REALLY nice project but I sure hope this isn't another case of Harrisburg's "Incredible Shrinking Tower" syndrome.

RE: the height limit, I remember growing up that there was an urban legend about a gentleman's agreement coming about one day that no one would build taller than the Capital dome anymore. Seems like it may be sort of true, as no one really wants to do it.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 1:48 AM

Remember that Forum Place was originally touted to be a 41 story building? Vartan said the tower would be Phase II. Still waiting!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 2:43 AM

agreed. 41 stories would be nice for Hbg.
I emailed the reporter at the Patriot about all of the fairly good projects announced in Harrisburg, and then how they end up getting "shrunk." Haven't gotten a response yet. But I also emailed Mayor Reed.....

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 1:50 PM
Man on a mission

A corollary to the shrinking tower syndrome could be people trying to push the limits of what is feasible. At some point a taller building will be possible. that being said a lot of these building plots in Harrisburg are small and unless the CBD moves toward I-83 there aren't really any bigger plots available. Can't come towards my house unless you build on a site of a destressed property, and there are only 2 or 3 on my side of state street.

I think everyone has overlooked the biggest positive of the 19 story building. (does it have a name?) It is on the site of The Sawyer Cantina. I would be happy with a 10 story building if it meant one less residence for Kamikowa

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 2:08 PM

Good points. That diner was very junky. Is it still open?

ALSO - REMEMBER THIS... The 18-story Market Square Plaza was originally announced in 2003 as just 15-stories. Somewhere along the way it was made taller to 18-stories.

Also, I verified in the docs you emailed me yesterday that in the zoning for office buildings there are NO height restrictions in Harrisburg.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 3:01 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Good points. That diner was very junky. Is it still open?

ALSO - REMEMBER THIS... The 18-story Market Square Plaza was originally announced in 2003 as just 15-stories. Somewhere along the way it was made taller to 18-stories.

Also, I verified in the docs you emailed me yesterday that in the zoning for office buildings there are NO height restrictions in Harrisburg.
Congrats you read all that? You are the better man. Where is Market Sq. Plaza if you'd forgive my ignorance?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 3:17 PM

Market Sq Plaza is the newest bldg next to the Hilton.

Can you post your photos tomorrow after you take them?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 3:54 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Market Sq Plaza is the newest bldg next to the Hilton.

Can you post your photos tomorrow after you take them?
I know that building. It has Carmella's on the ground floor right? I'll post them to my standard my photo album page. I hope to have some better shots of the Judicial building. It is starting to look sharp. If I don't provide a link at the forum check Here from page 5 onward. I should start to post some of these over on beyondsecond.com direct a few more posters to here maybe. I need to edit some of them down to a better composition before uploading them there.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 4:49 PM
Man on a mission

Good News

HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TAKING OFF

International travel brings more passengers
Thursday, December 06, 2007
BY DAN MILLER
Of The Patriot-News

International travel is fueling growth at Harrisburg International Airport.

The airport has seen a 35 percent increase in international travelers since 2002 -- from 55,000 passengers to nearly 74,000 in 2007, said spokesman Scott Miller.

Midstate companies are flying to places such as China to penetrate new markets, Miller said. HIA also has identified 208 businesses in the eight-county region owned by foreign countries

Full Article

Anybody remember what the decline from 2005 to 2006 was? I think they have a very nice airport and love to fly out of it. Security is a breeze.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 11:33 PM

Announcement Fri.

PA DCED Official to Make Significant Economic Development Announcement in
Harrisburg

Department of Community and Economic Development Deputy Secretary Rebecca
Bagley will announce funding at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 7, for a
significant economic and workforce development project at the Hilton Hotel's
Pennsylvania Ballroom, One N. Second St., Harrisburg.

EVENT:
DCED Deputy Secretary Bagley to make significant economic and workforce
development announcement in Harrisburg.

DATE:
Friday, Dec. 7

TIME:
12:30 p.m.

Pennsylvania Ballroom -- 2nd Floor
One N. Second St.
Harrisburg

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 7:38 PM
Man on a mission

I've run out ot time today kids I won't be out taking any pictures..

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 7:49 PM

no worries young gun. the h u tower --- is it even peaking above the surrounding buildings yet?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 4:47 AM

what was the announcement today?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
I think everyone has overlooked the biggest positive of the 19 story building. (does it have a name?) It is on the site of The Sawyer Cantina. I would be happy with a 10 story building if it meant one less residence for Kamikowa
I think we should strap pontoons to the Tom Sawyer Cantina and float that piece of crap down river. The folks in Columbia or Wrightsville might appreciate it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations