HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos

Old Posted Jun 19, 2006, 11:40 PM

^they are actually re-filling the lagoon. They haven't dredged the island for years and after they are done filling in and creating new wetland habitat, the island will be turned over to the city for a park.

There is a rocky type beach in the waterfront park bowl plus tons of lawn space. I don't think Portlanders really want to swim in the Willamette though.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2006, 11:46 PM

i think a beach in the south waterfront would attract families with children because all kids like the beach. and i know that in the pearl there are very little families with kids so the south waterfront should try to make attractions for different age groups thus attracting more families with children. and if there is sand the ross island that must not be bothering the fish so a beach couldn't hurt

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 2:14 AM

[QUOTE=MarkDaMan]^they are actually re-filling the lagoon.

Wow! I didn't know that they are going to fill in the lagoon there. That ought to be intersting.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 2:19 AM

^when are they planning on doing this?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 3:13 PM

The entire lagoon wont be filled in, but it wont be an endless pit anymore either. They are adding banks that have been dredged, and creating a wetland type habitat.

There is more infomation on this project here
http://www.deq.state.or.us/nwr/Ross_...update0106.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougall
i think a beach in the south waterfront would attract families with children because all kids like the beach. and i know that in the pearl there are very little families with kids so the south waterfront should try to make attractions for different age groups thus attracting more families with children. and if there is sand the ross island that must not be bothering the fish so a beach couldn't hurt
with all due respect, attracting families to the Pearl has more to do with housing options and affordability than it has to do with families needing additional amenities. Have you ever been to Jamison Square on a sunny summer day? No kids in the Pearl, hardly, you can hear them from blocks away. With an additional and largest Pearl park yet to be built, as well as the North Park blocks only a few blocks away, the area is prime for families. However, you wont find many families of 4 in a two bedroom $450,000 condo.

As nice as a beach in Portland would be, especially in SoWa, it would destroy the entire notion of sustainability. We aren't supposed to create footprints for our own pleasures, we need to learn how to co-exist with nature. Returning the Willamette River banks back to their natural status completes the vision of SoWa...green towers that use much less energy than current buildings, recycling of wastes, mass transit options over additional roadways, and the integration of workplaces, universities, and homes in one location is all about promoting a new thinking about the way we live. Could you imagine tearing out a large section of the riverbank and trucking in sand? It would be a disgrace to the vision.

Families don't need beaches, they need affordable homes, greenspaces, good schools, and a sense of community.

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Jun 20, 2006 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan
ReAlLy? so did it survive in the same form as the renderings?
I wish I knew, because I am also very excited about this building. But I do think that the John Ross approval most likely paved the way for this approval.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 5:59 PM

jeez when you put it that way you make me sound so wrong. but you are right sometimes(most times) i don't think throught ideas that I have I just think "that would be cool" and so i post it. I love the Jamison square fountain though too.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 6:18 PM

^hey man, I'm not here to put you down or crush you ideas. I think innovative minds are what created such a unique and world class city as Portland is maturing into. I welcome your ideas and encourage you not to feel guilty or whatever about posting them in the future. A year ago, I probably would have said the same thing about a beach, this website has really changed my thinking as to what a city should really look like...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 6:38 PM

back to talking about the south waterfront. It looks like there is no road between the john ross and the vacant lot the the left if you are looking from the webcam. Can someone confirm this. and that would be a nice place for a little fountain(i love fountains) similar to the rose quarter one.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 7:00 PM
A before E

I couldnt of put it better myself Mark.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 2:17 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Don't forget there is Ross Island, which sometime in the future (lol) will be turned into a park. It's got a beach.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 2:47 AM

the pearl just needs larger units, vancouver bc made the developers build a certain number of units at family size which has done miracles for that neighborhood, i went in the roundhouse community center in yaletown and saw maybe 50 strollers parked in the lobby.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 3:33 AM

In the future I forsee taller/needle condo projects than currently being built or proposed because when the national developers discover the city they want to really make money. Narrower towers=taller towers=larger profits.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 4:57 PM

took these yesterday

from naito

OHSU

Meriweather

John Ross

Block 38

Future Park

Future streetcar stop

Hope you like!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 5:02 PM

i like the new streetcar stop. cant tell from the pic though, but are or will there be overhead lights at or near it?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 5:04 PM

I didn't see it but I bet there will be in the future. The bench is especially cool

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 5:05 PM

I noticed that many of the streets do NOT have street trees along them. You would think that tree lines streets would be a priority in a planned community in PORTLAND. The urban forest is one of our main assets and plannners cant provide them on a blank canvas.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 5:17 PM

^trees will come after the new roads. They are certainly in the plan though...

Great pic dougall, can't wait to see a full Portland photo thread...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 5:29 PM

But the sidewalks are already built with NO tree holes for later installation. Unless they redo the NEW sidewalks completely, there is no room for trees on them as they have been built now.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 5:48 PM

they had trees and planters in the sidewalks in front of the Meriwether...I thought that was the design they were going to carry down the street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos