HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 9:10 PM
early dogecoin investor

From there protests at YYC in recent months iirc they are very upset about it.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 9:48 PM
An Airline Employee @ YYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post

The real interesting thing is LIR is now scheduled to depart at 02:10. I don't recall seeing a pax departure that late?

Be interesting to know how AC pilots/employees feel about them effectively outsourcing all this flying to a foreign partner on routes they use to fly.
1) I remember working MyTravel Airways in the summer of 2006 where they had a once weekly YYC-LGW scheduled to depart at 02:40 from YYC as it arrived in the evening at LGW as that is when MyTravel Airways had a slot at LGW. I think that 02:40 is still the latest scheduled departure time for a passenger flight I remember at YYC in the last two decades. Otherwise the morning startups begin after 05:00.

2) Although it is very upsetting to loose so many AC flights at YYC, one has to realize that AC is very much growing as an airline (just not at YYC) and there are plenty of new routes, new airplanes, new destinations, and new career advancement opportunities if one is willing to connect in, move to (or, the case of crew, deadhead) to another base.

A Former WingTipper

The opinions stated above are my own and not those of my current employer.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 5:06 AM

Quote:
WS filed a huge summer schedule change for..... just the month of May.

Anyways a few domestic routes like YYG / YQT are resuming a month earlier in May. YQM goes daily in May instead of June. The rest was mostly equipment / timing changes. EDI for example departs and returns about an hour earlier, allowing that 787 to rotate with NRT.

The real interesting thing is LIR is now scheduled to depart at 02:10. I don't recall seeing a pax departure that late?

Also the 787 (as expected) was removed from the YYZ turns.

Be interesting to know how AC pilots/employees feel about them effectively outsourcing all this flying to a foreign partner on routes they use to fly.
Its not really outsourcing. Its just shifting. AC is growing there flights, and adding crew, planes and opportunities at a fairly fast rate. Just in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Overall there is great growth for the staff at AC, its just being concentrated. (Just like Westjet).

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 5:27 AM

Is WS putting a daily 737 on YXS?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Its not really outsourcing. Its just shifting. AC is growing there flights, and adding crew, planes and opportunities at a fairly fast rate. Just in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Overall there is great growth for the staff at AC, its just being concentrated. (Just like Westjet).
Not great for the staff at AC here in YYC though. AC does still handle the FRA flights (minus operating the actual aircraft) but as the number of flights goes down, so does the workforce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
Is WS putting a daily 737 on YXS?
Yes. Additionally YUL is reduced to just 6x weekly

Last edited by hollywoodcory; Feb 4, 2024 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Not great for the staff at AC here in YYC though. AC does still handle the FRA flights (minus operating the actual aircraft) but as the number of flights goes down, so does the workforce.

Yes. Additionally YUL is reduced to just 6x weekly
Lots of small increases/cuts it seems. Most notably (to me) YCD/YQU/YMM all get some mainline (and YQQ is now 11x weekly mainline) and it seems like some Encore flights are being replaced by mainline across the board.

LAX goes up to 4x daily on a couple days of the week. Crazy considering that pre pandemic LAX was only ever 2x daily and there was no SNA either. Didn't realise YUL would be so weak out of YYC.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Lots of small increases/cuts it seems. Most notably (to me) YCD/YQU/YMM all get some mainline (and YQQ is now 11x weekly mainline) and it seems like some Encore flights are being replaced by mainline across the board.
Wait! What? YCD is going partially mainline? On WS, or AC? Wow! That’s crazy! Just for summer?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:

LAX goes up to 4x daily on a couple days of the week. Crazy considering that pre pandemic LAX was only ever 2x daily and there was no SNA either. Didn't realise YUL would be so weak out of YYC.

Also new flights to YDF too, 4x weekly from May 17

WS415 YYC 21:30 - 06:07+1 YYC 737
WS521 YDF 07:00 - 09:08 YYC 737

Last edited by hollywoodcory; Feb 5, 2024 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 7:03 PM

https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2024-0...-2024-Schedule

Press release out. Looks like HNL/OGG/VRA/PUJ are confirmed as year-round extensions.

Also says the schedule will be fully published over the coming week (so I take it in next week's update).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Wait! What? YCD is going partially mainline? On WS, or AC? Wow! That’s crazy! Just for summer?
Seems like just for the summer (for now) YCD is 1x daily Q400 and 1x daily 737 instead of 3x daily Q400

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Seems like just for the summer (for now) YCD is 1x daily Q400 and 1x daily 737 instead of 3x daily Q400
I’d rather have 3 x Q400’s. Better for connectivity

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 4:15 AM

2 flights a day gets you connecting to the morning departure bank and the afternoon trans-Atlantic connections. The YYC-YCD flight would leave around 11PM and remain overnight in YCD. A 3rd might hit the Asian flights, but I don't believe there are many connecting flights to specifically meet those flights. Maybe from YVR and YEG?

Perhaps the demand to meet one of those departure banks is enough to justify a jet. There's been lots of jets to YQQ recently compared to other years, but those from Nanaimo, Parksville, Ladysmith, Duncan etc would appreciate skipping the drive to Comox or Victoria for the jet service.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
2 flights a day gets you connecting to the morning departure bank and the afternoon trans-Atlantic connections. The YYC-YCD flight would leave around 11PM and remain overnight in YCD. A 3rd might hit the Asian flights, but I don't believe there are many connecting flights to specifically meet those flights. Maybe from YVR and YEG?

Perhaps the demand to meet one of those departure banks is enough to justify a jet. There's been lots of jets to YQQ recently compared to other years, but those from Nanaimo, Parksville, Ladysmith, Duncan etc would appreciate skipping the drive to Comox or Victoria for the jet service.
Yeah I mean 3x a day is certainly better for connectivity but I suppose there's staffing issues at Encore. Comox used to be 1x daily 737 and 2x daily Q400 pre pandemic but is now 11x weekly 737 only, YLW is almost entirely 737, YEG has a ton of 737 capacity now, there's more 737 on YXE, YXS is now on the 737 etc.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah I mean 3x a day is certainly better for connectivity but I suppose there's staffing issues at Encore. Comox used to be 1x daily 737 and 2x daily Q400 pre pandemic but is now 11x weekly 737 only, YLW is almost entirely 737, YEG has a ton of 737 capacity now, there's more 737 on YXE, YXS is now on the 737 etc.
yeah it's really weird seeing a 737 up to YMM again!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 12:15 PM
Scam Artist

Encore has no pilots.

All of this mainline flying to Encore stations is the result.

Currently bookable on YYC-YCD is 4x daily Q400 except Saturday which is 3x. No mainline. We'll have to keep an eye on it.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 3:32 AM

WS filed the remainder of its summer schedule update tonight.

BOS - also going daily
SEA - Increased to 3x daily
PDX - overall 2x daily (Thu-Sun shows mainline for morning dep)
LAX - 4th daily added on 4 days? (For 25x weekly).
IAD - reduced to 2x weekly
JFK - just like last year, is daily except for July/August.

Will do a better sweep later.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 7:40 AM

Quote:
WS filed the remainder of its summer schedule update tonight.

BOS - also going daily
SEA - Increased to 3x daily
PDX - overall 2x daily (Thu-Sun shows mainline for morning dep)
LAX - 4th daily added on 4 days? (For 25x weekly).
IAD - reduced to 2x weekly
JFK - just like last year, is daily except for July/August.

Will do a better sweep later.
Thanks for the update. Yes Calgary YYC - Washington Dulles IAD on WestJet is reduced to 2 weekly in S24,(early July- September 13) its 3x weekly.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan12 View Post
Thanks for the update. Yes Calgary YYC - Washington Dulles IAD on WestJet is reduced to 2 weekly in S24,(early July- September 13) its 3x weekly.
It’s only 2x weekly the entire season until September 6. The Wednesday flight is being canned.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 8:48 AM

I'm curious to see the Encore schedule considering the potential pilot action and the staffing shortages.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 3:59 PM

Also seems some domestic routes have been scaled back including YUL, YQB, YXY, YQG. Nothing as far as I can tell has been outright dropped.

PVR also staying daily. YYT goes up to 3x daily.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure