HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 4:22 PM

I believe KLM is going back to 4 flights a week and the a330-200 starting today.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YegFan View Post
I noticed while booking a flight that the WS flight to SEA is now mainline 737 (at least in August/Sept)
What days are you seeing this? Still shows Encore for me through the whole season.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
What days are you seeing this? Still shows Encore for me through the whole season.
I would rather cut my hand off than fly on a prop. Thankfully Alaska is flying a jet.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
Randomly it seems like Sep 16-Oct 6 is on mainline.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 4:54 PM

^ With Westjet in direct competition with Alaska on that route they may be looking to upgrade to match jet for jet.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YegFan View Post
CEO of WestJet will be delivering a speech in April - organized by the Chamber.

Hoping to see a new route being announced.
April 24th.

“Description
The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce and CEO Doug Griffiths are pleased to host WestJet Group CEO, Alexis von Hoensbroech for his first annual address to the Edmonton business community. Under WestJet’s ambitious growth strategy, Edmonton has secured record investments and access to new markets. Come join Alexis to learn how, as the largest air carrier in Edmonton, WestJet's renewed focus is strengthening the city's access to global business and leisure markets and driving the visitor economy.”
https://business.edmontonchamber.com...estments-10992

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 8:57 PM

^ Basically sounds like a nothing burger.
Watch Winnipeg airport will get more flight announcements. Yet Edmonton will continue to connect as a giant feeder airport to YYC. Business as usual? We shall see.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:44 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Fair enough but am hoping for some more cross border flights. I’m looking for an Orlando direct flight, and it seems there’s no directs. my two closest options are to go through YYC and ywg.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 12:44 AM
Scam Artist

To be fair to WS, YEG's gaping holes right now if you ask me are ORD, IAH or DFW... and the onus to resume any of those successfully would be on AA/UA.

The new MSP flight really is game-changing; I've talked to a number of folk in YEG for whom it has essentially become their transborder gateway and has elminated the necessity for YYC which is exactly the point.

I've heard the possibility of a Satuday-only YEG-MCO for this coming winter. It's on the radar, but we'll have to see if anything materializes.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 12:51 AM

If there not already a YEG-MCO? I see it operating on Saturdays this summer

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 12:53 AM

This is a resumption of flights from 2023 (YOW was to be 6 weekly) - and 2021 and iirc flights before then. WS have been consistently inconsistent and have flip flopped many times providing service to YEG ... but not at YYC.

Ottawa (YOW) 1
April 30 6x weekly 09:00 14:43
Montreal (YUL)
June 30 2x weekly 01:00 07:03
This is a resumption of service last operated in 2021

"EDMONTON, AB, Feb. 13, 2023 /CNW/ - WestJet today revealed significantly increased transborder connectivity from Edmonton International Airport, with new non-stop service to Minneapolis, Minnesota and Seattle, Washington as part of its 2023 summer schedule. In addition, WestJet's summer schedule from Edmonton will revitalize the city's domestic connectivity from coast-to-coast with the airline unveiling new routes from Edmonton to London, Moncton, Charlottetown and the resumption of nonstop flights to Ottawa, Montreal, Nanaimo and Penticton."
https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2023-0...c-connectivity

Last edited by EdmTrekker; Apr 9, 2024 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 1:11 AM
Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
If there not already a YEG-MCO? I see it operating on Saturdays this summer
Shit, my bad... I was thinking of FLL.

Yes YEG-MCO is already Saturday only thru summer then Sat/Sun for winter.

It's YEG-FLL that is potentially on radar.

So for JSS1974 there is indeed YEG-MCO nonstop but it tends to be expensive and the once-weekly timing is a bit inconvenient.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 1:13 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.yyc View Post
The new MSP flight really is game-changing; I've talked to a number of folk in YEG for whom it has essentially become their transborder gateway and has elminated the necessity for YYC which is exactly the point.
You bet it is.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 1:21 AM
Scam Artist

Only in peak summer of July and August is WS even running daily YYC-ORD, it's a tough go on only the O&D.

It really is surprising to me that UA nor AA are back on YEG-ORD with an E175.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:28 AM

UA are running YYC-ORD 2x daily in summer on mainline and with AC’s pathetic Calgary service it’s likely tough to connect so yeah UA should do at least one a day to ORD. I think this used to be 2 daily CR7 back in the day.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
This is a resumption of flights from 2023 (YOW was to be 6 weekly) - and 2021 and iirc flights before then. WS have been consistently inconsistent and have flip flopped many times providing service to YEG ... but not at YYC.

Ottawa (YOW) 1
April 30 6x weekly 09:00 14:43
Montreal (YUL)
June 30 2x weekly 01:00 07:03
This is a resumption of service last operated in 2021

"EDMONTON, AB, Feb. 13, 2023 /CNW/ - WestJet today revealed significantly increased transborder connectivity from Edmonton International Airport, with new non-stop service to Minneapolis, Minnesota and Seattle, Washington as part of its 2023 summer schedule. In addition, WestJet's summer schedule from Edmonton will revitalize the city's domestic connectivity from coast-to-coast with the airline unveiling new routes from Edmonton to London, Moncton, Charlottetown and the resumption of nonstop flights to Ottawa, Montreal, Nanaimo and Penticton."
https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2023-0...c-connectivity
Good to see Nanaimo gaining non-stop service to Edmonton. But only twice per-week. You would have expected more frequent service.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 10:24 AM
Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
UA are running YYC-ORD 2x daily in summer on mainline and with AC’s pathetic Calgary service it’s likely tough to connect so yeah UA should do at least one a day to ORD. I think this used to be 2 daily CR7 back in the day.
If AC's YYC service is pathetic then their YEG service is even more pathetic, this logic therefore makes no sense. Connecting onto a QK YYC-YEG is not particularly difficult

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.yyc View Post
If AC's YYC service is pathetic then their YEG service is even more pathetic, this logic therefore makes no sense. Connecting onto a QK YYC-YEG is not particularly difficult
Sorry, I should clarify….AC’s YEG-YYC service is pathetic making connections challenging at YYC and thus having UA non-stops ex-YEG more important.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 3:27 PM

It doesn't look to me that UA needs the feed from YEG to make their YYC flights work. WS is a different story where they rely on YEG quite a bit.

Having said that, UA has been very slow to address demand for travel at YEG. Having lost IAH and ORD are huge gaps that only UA can fill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton