HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
The group literally has urban planning in the name but they're against perhaps the most urban project to happen east of Broad Street in the last 50 years. What could possibly be more urban than building an arena that relies heavily on public transit and walking? There's lots of people there still saying "why don't they just stay at the sports complex" showing how ill informed they are on the most basic facts about the WFC/76 Place.
That group should be forced to remove "Urban Planning" from their FB name. Utterly ridiculous.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 3:13 PM

It's up to the pro-development majority to make its voices heard and for the politicians to recognize knee-jerk negative reactions vs. the public good.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 3:41 PM
Philly Pholly

There's an odd obsession with this project.
It's almost cult-like.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 5:17 PM

It's all because it's close to Chinatown and change for Philadelphians in general is really hard. The 76ers have played at the sports complex since 1967 so it's hard for Philadelphians to embrace change.

This is the same city that a lot of residents would prefer disgusting and dirty streets instead of street sweepers because they'd have to move their car once a week. In reality street sweepers would actually make parking easier because the city would tow abandoned cars and less people would keep their car because of how annoying it would be to move it once a week. It's the same mentality all over. Years ago I asked the owner of Wilensky Lock and Hardware at 8th and Washington what was up with the trash filled vacant lot at that intersection. He said with disgust that it was going to become a 6 floor apartment building. As a business owner, wouldn't you want 50+ new residents living 10 feet from your business? Nope, he'd rather a trash filled vacant lot because change is scary.

Sorry if that's off topic.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
There's an odd obsession with this project.
It's almost cult-like.
People naturally tend toward religion. Some "faiths" are quite worldly, like Nimbyism, but still include their own version of a frightful apocalypse. For them, 76 Place is a herald of Ragnarök.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
That group should be forced to remove "Urban Planning" from their FB name. Utterly ridiculous.
Yeah that group makes the Reddit echo chamber seem sensible and nuanced.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Yeah that group makes the Reddit echo chamber seem sensible and nuanced.
r/philadelphia is a cesspit. But then again, the entirety of Reddit is a giant sea of shit with a few small islands of refuge in it. r/philadelphia isn't one of them.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
r/philadelphia is a cesspit. But then again, the entirety of Reddit is a giant sea of shit with a few small islands of refuge in it. r/philadelphia isn't one of them.
It's usable if you block certain posters. Most of the garbage comes from just a few people

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:57 PM

Lurker here, infrequent poster, but I'm curious....

Is this proposal still actually active? I live around the corner and hate this disgusting lot, would love to see something happen there.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:44 PM

No it's totally dead. They pulled permits in 2019 for it but haven't had anything since besides a bunch of trash violations from the city. If you live nearby, keep submitting the trash issues to 311 and Mark Squilla. The hope now is to force the property owner to sell it or develop it. I believe it was the same owner as Asian Bank who just opened a new bank at 7th and Passyunk by Royal Tavern but I'm not positive.

old permit: https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/27-396698.pdf

And the Midwood project at 9th and Washington is stalled as well. I think that one will probably start up once they finish their 12th and Locust tower and interest rates decline. It looks awful right now and displaced Anastasi Seafood.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 10:41 PM

It's never been deemed officially dead. They're still promoting this project, including a large billboard still on top of 2121 Market Street.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 12:13 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
People naturally tend toward religion. Some "faiths" are quite worldly, like Nimbyism, but still include their own version of a frightful apocalypse. For them, 76 Place is a herald of Ragnarök.
cleansed and fertile...
I'm hardly a NIMBY but an arena is not a good neighbor.
There's a dense residential neighborhood building and I would hate to jeopardize that.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:59 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefta View Post
cleansed and fertile...
I'm hardly a nimby but an arena is not a good neighbor.
There's a dense residential neighborhood building and i would hate to jeopardize that.
+1

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
cleansed and fertile...
I'm hardly a NIMBY but an arena is not a good neighbor.
There's a dense residential neighborhood building and I would hate to jeopardize that.
Market East is doing so poor this guy doesn't even know it's a commercial and office district lol. Everyday the buildings between 7th and 15th grow more empty with leases expiring. I'm hardly a MAGA but with the failing mall, every other month shootings outside of it, constant bum fights on Filbert outside the abandoned bus station, empty commercial strips of ghetto former gold stores, empty desolate streets after dark, locked train station doors because it's unsafe after 7PM. I find it comical that someone could think "jeopardizing" that is a "bad thing". Sorry, but this is probably one of the last places on the internet I'm willing to be gaslit into thinking Market East is a healthy and stable neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Market East is doing so poor this guy doesn't even know it's a commercial and office district lol. Everyday the buildings between 7th and 15th grow more empty with leases expiring. I'm hardly a MAGA but with the failing mall, every other month shootings outside of it, constant bum fights on Filbert outside the abandoned bus station, empty commercial strips of ghetto former gold stores, empty desolate streets after dark, locked train station doors because it's unsafe after 7PM. I find it comical that someone could think "jeopardizing" that is a "bad thing". Sorry, but this is probably one of the last places on the internet I'm willing to be gaslit into thinking Market East is a healthy and stable neighborhood.
I'm also hardly a nimby but I'm ambivalent on the arena. I don't think it'll kill Chinatown, it might even be the best thing to stave off any real gentrification, ironically. But I also don't quite recognize this hellscape you're describing. Market East is struggling, to be sure, but you make it sound like it's the setting for a future Mad Max film. I was hanging out there 2 days ago and it was perfectly fine.

The very vocal pro-arena posters sometimes make it seem like it's a binary. Either, arena and we're all good, or no arena and Mad Max. In truth, there are plenty of other directions this could go in if only for a little foresight.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I'm also hardly a nimby but I'm ambivalent on the arena. I don't think it'll kill Chinatown, it might even be the best thing to stave off any real gentrification, ironically. But I also don't quite recognize this hellscape you're describing. Market East is struggling, to be sure, but you make it sound like it's the setting for a future Mad Max film. I was hanging out there 2 days ago and it was perfectly fine.

The very vocal pro-arena posters sometimes make it seem like it's a binary. Either, arena and we're all good, or no arena and Mad Max. In truth, there are plenty of other directions this could go in if only for a little foresight.
You can feel that way and the truth is that it is somewhere in between, but 9 Million of views last weekend of brawls in Philadelphia's Market East that ended in a triple shooting outside of Jefferson is running against your narrative. You either are improving or you're declining, nothing sits on the tip of balance. Market East is squarely in decline if new life is not injected into it.

https://x.com/rawsalerts/status/1797...434444/video/1

Triple shooting in Center City Philadelphia culminates violent weekend

It's not just the Gallery. It's all the buildings around it. 1500 Market. Wanamaker's. 7th and Chestnut. 8th and Market. 11th and Filbert. 1000 Market. The business journal is running articles about tearing down skyscrapers! That's not a healthy city.

I'm so bullish on the Delaware Valley overall. The economy post-2020 seems to have gained a couple %-points of improvement and it doesn't seem to be stopping. Population decline has stopped, credit ratings up, crime overall down. A perfect time to try to make the city more of a destination and clean up the last blackeye of Center City.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 12:06 PM

Quote:
You can feel that way and the truth is that it is somewhere in between, but 9 Million of views last weekend of brawls in Philadelphia's Market East that ended in a triple shooting outside of Jefferson is running against your narrative. You either are improving or you're declining, nothing sits on the tip of balance. Market East is squarely in decline if new life is not injected into it.

Triple shooting in Center City Philadelphia culminates violent weekend

It's not just the Gallery. It's all the buildings around it. 1500 Market. Wanamaker's. 7th and Chestnut. 8th and Market. 11th and Filbert. 1000 Market. The business journal is running articles about tearing down skyscrapers! That's not a healthy city.

I'm so bullish on the Delaware Valley overall. The economy post-2020 seems to have gained a couple %-points of improvement and it doesn't seem to be stopping. Population decline has stopped, credit ratings up, crime overall down. A perfect time to try to make the city more of a destination and clean up the last blackeye of Center City.
To be fair, this is no more indicative of decline than the shooting at the Super Bowl celebration in Kansas City. That doesn't make it any less terrible, but Market East's current state had no impact on idiots fighting at the pride parade, or idiots pulling a gun during a fight or whatever happened.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 1:51 PM
Chris

Quote:

Mostly agree about Market East, especially because it's a main corridor that visitors naturally frequent, not a little side street.

OT, but that is a disturbing video. So that happened right after the pride parade in the middle of the Gayborhood (and not late even late at night)? A shame people can't keep it together...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 2:17 PM

The arena is happening and at the perfect time. Market East is currently screwed. The commercial spaces are worthless and the retail is struggling. The arena will bring 20k people to the area 150 times a year and the tower will add a lot of foot traffic. It will stabilize the fashion district by cutting the space in half.

2031 will be a very different time. The MFL will have new train cars, new fare gates, real time train arrival working and a brand new arena/tower. It won't be long after the arena is done that you see a new hotel at 8th and Market lot. Market East will always be a little gritty but the goal is Penn Station scene versus how desolate it is now. The area around Penn Station is definitely gritty but at least it's always packed.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Mostly agree about Market East, especially because it's a main corridor that visitors naturally frequent, not a little side street.

OT, but that is a disturbing video. So that happened right after the pride parade in the middle of the Gayborhood (and not late even late at night)? A shame people can't keep it together...
I never saw this story until right now. Most of the coverage was super positive on the event.

This Middle East situation is really bringing out the bullshit. Can't we all agree that Hamas is a BS terrorist organization and that Israel bombing the $hit of of innocent people sucks?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals