HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Some good points OD. I'm interested to see how the UDP and moreso the heritage board treats this application. While it is sorely needed and a good use, it is imperfect in many ways and will no doubt ruffle some feathers.
Considering the UDP took over two hours to review a six-floor senior's care centre yesterday, and, despite supporting it, almost slapped it with around twenty recommendations - It could be a nightmare.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
Considering the UDP took over two hours to review a six-floor senior's care centre yesterday, and, despite supporting it, almost slapped it with around twenty recommendations - It could be a nightmare.
Exactly why I said in the view cone thread that abolishing the UDP would be better for getting stuff built quickly than abolishing the view cones!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:04 PM

Those renders look great to me. I'd ask for less hand wringing and more shovels and quickly on the ground, lord knows that street needs some revitalization.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 9:03 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Exactly why I said in the view cone thread that abolishing the UDP would be better for getting stuff built quickly than abolishing the view cones!
agreed the UDP is a joke some of the members I would not trust designing a toilet seat or even using a toilet let alone designing a building.

members who are truly hacks:

Heidi Nesbitt, Architect, Human Studio
Jane Vorbrodt, Member-at-Large: Accessible Design
Brittany Coughlin, Engineer, RDH Building Science Inc.

https://vancouver.ca/your-government...ign-panel.aspx

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 9:26 PM

I agree that the area desperately needs an injection of vitality, especially in the daytime, and agree that offices are a reasonable solution. I'm just not in love with the proposed design -- especially, the massive, monolithic curtain wall along Granville. I like how the alley side curves inwards to accommodate the adjacent tower -- I'd like to see something equally interesting on the Granville side to break up the monotony without competing visually with the lower heritage buildings.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
agreed the UDP is a joke some of the members I would not trust designing a toilet seat or even using a toilet let alone designing a building.

I have not had UDP with this batch. Why are the "hacks"?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
I have not had UDP with this batch. Why are the "hacks"?
google them and look at their so called "work".

plus look at some of the comments they have made on the record during UDP events.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post

Heidi is a recently appointed panelist, so I'm curious how you've arrived at that conclusion as yesterday was her first meeting, and nothing she said was egregious.

With regards to Jane, and Brittany, I strongly disagree with your opinion, as I have nothing but respect for them.

Frankly, I'm shocked with your comments in regards to Brittany, I've never once found her to be a disruptive/problem member of the panel. She provides good commentary when it comes to sustainability, building systems, and engineering issues in general. Similarly, Jane always offers a valuable prospective with regards to accessibility.

The panel may be institutionally flawed, and there can be "problem" panelists, but these two individuals aren't one of them.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
Heidi is a recently appointed panelist, so I'm curious how you've arrived at that conclusion as yesterday was her first meeting, and nothing she said was egregious.

With regards to Jane, and Brittany, I strongly disagree with your opinion, as I have nothing but respect for them.

Frankly, I'm shocked with your comments in regards to Brittany, I've never once found her to be a disruptive/problem member of the panel. She provides good commentary when it comes to sustainability, building systems, and engineering issues in general. Similarly, Jane always offers a valuable prospective with regards to accessibility.

The panel may be institutionally flawed, and there can be "problem" panelists, but these two individuals aren't one of them.
I was painting with broad stroked. I am too busy to actually real all the UDP notes on every project but when I do my head spins. 50% of the people on there are border line brain dead or worse. the comments and pure retardation that comes out of them is just beyond me. they give a bad name to panels like this. just garbage

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 11:11 PM

Feathered thanks for the update. I do expect UDP to say what Planning is saying. Break up the massing, and more setbacks along Granville.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 12:25 AM

Does anyone know when the UDP was established? I didn't see a date on the city's website.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Does anyone know when the UDP was established? I didn't see a date on the city's website.
I believe it celibrates its 50th birthday this year.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 7:07 PM

Virtual open house for the rezoning is open now through 16 April. https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/800-876-granville-st

They included this new flythrough animation:

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 2:46 PM

I'm a big fan of the performance space being delivered to the City as part of the 800 proposal as well as the retention of the facade and the mix of commercial uses to further activate the area. FYI, there are some nice visuals in the Open House materials and I recommend people taking a look and leaving a comment.

Overall, I think the project is needed to start injecting some new blood into the area and unlock the full potential of Granville Street. It can use some tweaks, namely pulling the office facade back from the heritage frontage, breaking up the building massing somewhat and adding a grand entrance somewhere to help with place-making.

Not liking the hostility that Bonnis is bringing to the public debate though (see Daily Hive article), as it's making me think things are not looking good moving forward.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 3:27 PM
Dig-it

Put me in the more sun and less dark wind tunnel mindset.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:38 PM

Ya we're working in the area on the new Plan but I highly doubt Bonnis will get away with a giant wall blob.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 5:00 PM
Dig-it

I think the City may be doing Bonnis a favour if they turn down his request for thatever that thing is.
He couldn't sell office space on Robson/Seymour for over 2 years and now he's all gong ho for more office space

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
I think the City may be doing Bonnis a favour if they turn down his request for thatever that thing is.
He couldn't sell office space on Robson/Seymour for over 2 years and now he's all gong ho for more office space
Was just going to mention. lol

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanight93 View Post
... Not liking the hostility that Bonnis is bringing to the public debate though (see Daily Hive article), as it's making me think things are not looking good moving forward.
The NIMBY bureaucrats can be a pain at times. Seriously, concerns about shadowing on Granville Mall? They're about fifty years too late for that.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 7:41 PM

I can only imagine the heritage facades being propped up, the Commodore in shambles, and a dirt lot sitting behind it all for years while the developer tries to make the economics work. A real revitalization to Granville that would be...

I don't think this is the developer to bring this type of project to market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver