HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 12:58 AM

It looks like they brought this project back to the HDRC just to show they've met a few stipulations imposed the first time it was presented, namely parking screening, landscape design, and windows. I guess this means they're ready to break ground!

https://sanantonio.primegov.com/Port...id=7387&type=2

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 3:44 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
It looks like they brought this project back to the HDRC just to show they've met a few stipulations imposed the first time it was presented, namely parking screening, landscape design, and windows. I guess this means they're ready to break ground!

https://sanantonio.primegov.com/Port...id=7387&type=2
Middle of January.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 7:28 PM
James

Weston Urban seeks final design approval for 32-story tower

Quote:
Downtown's latest flagship project — which would bring hundreds of residential units to downtown's tech corridor — could move closer toward construction this week.

Weston Urban has proposed a 32-story residential tower on the vacant lot at 305 Soledad St., bounded by Soledad Street, Pecan Street, Main Avenue, and Travis Street. The building would be about 388 feet tall, making it one of the tallest in the city's skyline.

The project is set to include 354 residential units, 456 parking spaces and about 6,275 square feet of ground-floor retail space, according to documents submitted to the San Antonio Office of Historic Preservation. Plans also feature outdoor seating areas.

The Historic and Design Review Commission is scheduled to review final plans for the project Dec. 15, a key step in obtaining a building permit downtown.

The project team includes Pape-Dawson Engineers Inc. of San Antonio and architectural firm Page Southerland Page Inc.'s Austin office. Campbell Landscape Architecture has also been involved in the project.

The HDRC granted conceptual approval to the project in December 2020. The new plans include three additional residential units and slightly less retail space.

As of last year, construction was estimated to cost more than $107 million, but materials cost increases since then could have heavily impacted that price tag.

The board of the Houston Street Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone in February approved $1 million in funding toward a San Antonio Water System fee waiver for the project.

Mark Jensen, vice president for Weston Urban, told the TIRZ board that all the units would be on the high end of the city's market rate. At the time, the project was expected to kick off in the middle of 2021.

In a letter to the commission last year, Patti Ziontz, former president of the Conservation Society of San Antonio, wrote that the 32-story tower was "excessively tall" and would overwhelm nearby landmarks like the Rand Building and Robert E. Lee Hotel.

Weston Urban owns several other properties downtown, including Frost Tower, which it completed development of in 2019; the Dry Goods building, which began office leasing in 2020; and a downtown park that opened to the public last year.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 10:19 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
In a letter to the commission last year, Patti Ziontz, former president of the Conservation Society of San Antonio, wrote that the 32-story tower was "excessively tall" and would overwhelm nearby landmarks like the Rand Building and Robert E. Lee Hotel.
Least unhinged NIMBY.

Both of these buildings "overwhelmed" their neighbors when built. I believe the Rand was the tallest in town at the time.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 1:36 AM

Ha! Robert E. Lee a landmark? Does Patti even get out downtown anymore? The Robert E. Lee looks dumpy and the low-income residents just loiter out front smoking, drinking, and looking lost.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 5:55 PM

OMG! it is a DOWNTOWN! That is where tall buildings get built, have these people gone to other cities around the USA or even just Texas. I can't believe silly things like this road block projects from kicking off.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 8:19 PM

Virtual BX construction preview of 305 Soledad

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 10:21 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
OMG! it is a DOWNTOWN! That is where tall buildings get built, have these people gone to other cities around the USA or even just Texas. I can't believe silly things like this road block projects from kicking off.
In fairness, I don't think anyone at the HDRC is actually listening to her. They just had to return to the committee to get changes approved.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 10:28 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

In my head I describe this as 'Not the tower I wanted, but the tower SA needs.' There's nothing outstanding about the design, but its not atrocious either. There's nothing remarkable about its height, but it will soon be among the taller towers in SA. It hits the need for more urban density and will add to the density of the tech district in downtown. Needless to say, I am looking forward to watching this one rise.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 10:45 PM
James

Development Profile: Weston Urban’s 32-story apartment tower receives final design approval
Quote:
The design for Weston Urban’s much-anticipated, 32-story apartment tower received its certificate of appropriateness by the Historic and Design Review Commission without discussion on Wednesday, Dec. 15, 2021, presumably one of the last steps before construction can begin.

The local developer, which owns nearly 26 acres of land in west downtown, plans to build a market-rate apartment tower with ground floor retail at 305 Soledad St., currently a parking lot bound by Soledad, Pecan, Main and Travis streets. The tower will include 354 residential units, 456 parking spaces, and 6,275 square feet of retail, according to updated numbers Weston Urban submitted to the city’s Office of Historic Preservation.

It’s unclear when construction will begin, but Weston Urban executives have said it will take two years to build. Weston Urban President Randy Smith did not respond to an interview request

Weston Urban is received an incentive package worth an estimated $7.5 million, the bulk of which is a 75% rebate on city property taxes over 15 years. During the same time period, the company will pay the remaining 25% of city property taxes into the city’s affordable housing fund, worth an estimated $2.2 million.

Urbanists see Weston Urban’s project as a major step toward increasing the population of downtown proper, as opposed to outlying areas such as the Pearl or Southtown. Affordable housing advocates have long criticized the city’s practice of offering tax breaks to market-rate projects.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 6:47 PM

it'll be nice to see some more muscle added to the SA skyline. at least this addition will help fill in some gaps. it'd still be nice to see something more vertical eventually come around. but still good news about this one.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibolo View Post
it'll be nice to see some more muscle added to the SA skyline. at least this addition will help fill in some gaps. it'd still be nice to see something more vertical eventually come around. but still good news about this one.
Hopefully this one's a catalyst. With Austin pumping out 500+ footers left and right, and the Arts condos selling out fast... I don't see why we couldn't get at least ONE of those if this ends up doing well.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 12:51 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
Hopefully this one's a catalyst. With Austin pumping out 500+ footers left and right, and the Arts condos selling out fast... I don't see why we couldn't get at least ONE of those if this ends up doing well.
Off topic, but I'm so shocked no one has tried condos around the Pearl yet. I'm not involved in real estate at all but my gut feeling is that those would sell out in like a week. I know the Broadway building was a huge flop so maybe that's still scaring people off.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Off topic, but I'm so shocked no one has tried condos around the Pearl yet. I'm not involved in real estate at all but my gut feeling is that those would sell out in like a week. I know the Broadway building was a huge flop so maybe that's still scaring people off.
Doesn't make any sense to me either lol. Like the Borden project alone is 338 units, not too far off this building units wise. Can Plant is 292. Seems like there's plenty of market for high rise developments. Not sure what the cost difference is though. Judging off Austin market prices there's barely a premium between high rises and the Texas donut style buildings downtown. The location of the Broadway is kinda random but I guess the Pearl was just an abandoned brewery when that was built. Very off topic but I've always wondered the same thing about buildings like the Grand Hyatt... Instead of a giant wall they could have cut it in half and built something way taller but I guess cost has something to do with that?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 5:13 AM

There was a better three tiered render that was used to sell the idea of the Grand Hyatt.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 3:47 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
There was a better three tiered render that was used to sell the idea of the Grand Hyatt.
I'm still to this day disturbed at the change from the original 3 tier high-rise design of the Grand Hyatt to the Wall de SA that's there now. Maddening.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
I'm still to this day disturbed at the change from the original 3 tier high-rise design of the Grand Hyatt to the Wall de SA that's there now. Maddening.
Anyone got pictures or renderings? I cant seem to remember.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajarreguin3 View Post
Anyone got pictures or renderings? I cant seem to remember.
I was wondering the same thing. I've seen others mention the original renderings, but I've never seen them myself. Would be interested if anyone has them.

Although they would probably need to be posted in a different thread.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 11:11 PM

I looked through old threads when I posted last night but couldn't find one. Threads with it were probably retired.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 6:00 AM

Here is one rendering.

https://ibb.co/ThkRZWk

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio