HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Who are you choosing for mayor this election?
Nenshi 50 54.95%
Smith 26 28.57%
Chabot 2 2.20%
Undecided 13 14.29%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 2:02 AM

Higgins was insulting. Her arrogance and entitlement, combined with the complete lack of an articulated platform and a strong sense that she was little more than a front for someone else were all big contributors to why she lost.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossedTheTracks View Post
What an... unusual... methodology:
  • Telephone selection followed by online poll?
  • Over a 14-day period?
  • Where the lead researcher for the poll comments on his own poll, saying "he thinks the methodology is sound"? (Excellent investigative journalism, Calgary Herald, bravo!)
  • Where the full list of questions isn't released?

I'm emphatically not going to claim that the results are wrong or rigged, but that's a large number of things making me go "hmm....".
Curated online polls might be starting to develop an accuracy that traditional robocalls are failing with in modern times.

Polling companies haven't really responded that well to including cell phones in their methodologies. If they call cell phones at all (which is more expensive due to regulation), they frequently treat them the same as land lines, when the demographics, usage patterns, and everything else are different.

Curated online polls which hybridize getting a random sample based on phone numbers, and following up with an easy to respond online survey is a very sound statistical methodology, and in the 2016 United States election, for example, there were early indicators that this style of polling as giving a more accurate result than the traditional robocalls:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-the-election/

All in all, as traditional robocoll accuracy and effectiveness goes down, we will see a rise in hybrid and innovative polling methodologies start springing up. We might be witnessing one such example here in our own local petri dish of a polling experiment regarding this municipal election.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
Really? Cause I'm willing to bet that 70% of the people voting against Nenshi will be voting CPC at the next federal election and Nenshi simply hasn't really screwed up anything enough to give these people a reason to justify their vote against him so they go with "He's arrogant". The other 30% don't understand how municipal taxes work and think Smith will actually be able to miraculously find this "low hanging fruit" that the current, pretty fiscally conservative council has for some reason ignored.
Anyone who calls Nenshi "arrogant" I believe is surrounded by conservative friends who all talk in conservative talking points, and I imagine among this crowd no one is really allowed to challenge the prevailing opinions in casual discussion. In other words, quite a brain washed group that talks to each other in an echo chamber.

If you find your circle of friends can't stop talking about Nenshi's "arrogance", I would challenge you to do two things:

* See what the reaction is among this group of people to challenging the fact that Nenshi is arrogant. As an experiment, play devil's advocate and argue that he isn't. See how good the arguments are regarding this a priori assumption that Nenshi = arrogant

* Two, as an experiment, take a survey around this group and try to get their opinions on Ralph Klein. See if in general this group of people who are so unbelievably sick of Nenshi's overflowing arrogance, if the crowd consensus regarding Klein is favorable.

There are plenty of reasons not to vote for Nenshi, but this whole "Nenshi is arrogant" meme just reeks of pathetic conservative driven character assassination politically vacuous talking points that captures far too many people's attention that should otherwise be focused on things that actually matter.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 6:42 PM
power to the people!

C’mon, getting blotto, then having your chauffeur drive to a homeless shelter so you can berate those less fortunate is not. at. all. arrogant.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 7:01 PM

Sounds like you're talking about thew people on both sides of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Anyone who calls Nenshi "arrogant" I believe is surrounded by conservative friends who all talk in conservative talking points, and I imagine among this crowd no one is really allowed to challenge the prevailing opinions in casual discussion. In other words, quite a brain washed group that talks to each other in an echo chamber.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Sounds like you're talking about thew people on both sides of this thread.
Ah yes, that old "both sides" chestnut. As if by pointing at another echo chamber, you are somehow justifying your own wilful ignorance.

If repeating "both sides" to yourself under your breath is giving you a sense of satisfaction regarding your own views, perhaps you should look in the mirror and do some soul searching regarding how intelligently you are really conducting yourself, if all it takes is the term "both sides" to justify your own views.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, that old "both sides" chestnut. As if by pointing at another echo chamber, you are somehow justifying your own wilful ignorance.

If repeating "both sides" to yourself under your breath is giving you a sense of satisfaction regarding your own views, perhaps you should look in the mirror and do some soul searching regarding how intelligently you are really conducting yourself, if all it takes is the term "both sides" to justify your own views.
What he stated is true. You'd have to be completely blind or stuck in an echo chamber to not know that. As for Nenshi being arrogant that is also undeniably true. No need to get that info from the media or anyone else for that matter. If you watched any council meetings and/or watched/listened to him talking to the media live his arrogance is impossible to miss.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
As for Nenshi being arrogant that is also undeniably true.
Your circle of acquaintances is a conservative echo chamber, true or false?

Again, I would recommend following my two step challenge above. How do your acquaintances feel about Ralph Klein? How do they respond if you were to play devil's advocate and suggest Nenshi is actually not arrogant?

Give it a try. Just because other people are brain washed, doesn't mean you're not.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Your circle of acquaintances is a conservative echo chamber, true or false?

Again, I would recommend following my two step challenge above. How do your acquaintances feel about Ralph Klein? How do they respond if you were to play devil's advocate and suggest Nenshi is actually not arrogant?

Give it a try. Just because other people are brain washed, doesn't mean you're not.
99.99% of the time I watch the news by myself and council meetings 100% of the time. My circle of acquaintances is all over the map when it comes to political views. Just because you live in an echo chamber doesn't mean everyone else does. If I lived in a conservative echo chamber then why would be here? Your logic makes ZERO sense. Here's some free advice for you: stop listening to Suburbia and others in Nenshi's inner circle. The conspiracy theories and ridiculous challenges are not helping your cause. As has been stated here by many people, what you guys are doing is making them hope that Nenshi loses just to shut people like you up. Stop telling people how to vote and that they're closed-minded, and take a look in the mirror.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 10:14 PM

This is so true. I'm solidly behind Nenshi, and always have been, but I'm finding Suburbia's posts super annoying, especially knowing he isn't supporting Nenshi for the same reasons as the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Suburbia you used to post things worth reading, this election has turned you into an innuendo spreading Nenshi shill.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 10:17 PM

He's 100% right about the both sides part. Everyone thinks their side is the right one regardless, and that's the case with people on this thread. Not all, but many of the Nenshi supporters are just as annoying as the anti-Nenshi people.

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
He's 100% right about the both sides part. Everyone thinks their side is the right one regardless, and that's the case with people on this thread. Not all, but many of the Nenshi supporters are just as annoying as the anti-Nenshi people.
Some people really want change and have tired of Nenshi's arrogance and constant lecturing of people who don't agree with him. I'm in that camp but I also fear what a Smith controlled council will do to this city. I definitely don't want to return to the 80s and 90s when the city did next to nothing in terms of building infrastructure. I also don't want a bunch of old time PCers running this city. If I knew Nenshi would be humbled by a squeaker of a win I'd be okay with him getting reelected as long as Druh and maybe Carra got booted. I plan on voting for Chabot and praying for the best overall results.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 11:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Some people really want change and have tired of Nenshi's arrogance and constant lecturing of people who don't agree with him. I'm in that camp but I also fear what a Smith controlled council will do to this city. I definitely don't want to return to the 80s and 90s when the city did next to nothing in terms of building infrastructure. I also don't want a bunch of old time PCers running this city. If I knew Nenshi would be humbled by a squeaker of a win I'd be okay with him getting reelected as long as Druh and maybe Carra got booted. I plan on voting for Chabot and praying for the best overall results.
Chabot is a good candidate if you're tired of Naheed actually knowing policy and defending citizens. The concept of arrogance is a false narrative that has caught on with some minds that are not in the know about municipal politics. This vote within our forum is actually quite representative, I think.

Druh and Carra are excellent. The developers shifting attention to them getting removed is a good strategy, now that it is more clear that Naheed is more formidable than they ever expected.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
This is so true. I'm solidly behind Nenshi, and always have been, but I'm finding Suburbia's posts super annoying, especially knowing he isn't supporting Nenshi for the same reasons as the rest of us.
Not sure what that's supposed to mean. Can you elaborate with more precision?

I'm supporting him because he is the smartest in the room, is thoughtful and not "party centric". He believes in an inclusive cosmopolitan society, and a progressive and dynamic city. I'm with him because of his strong focus on transit with a longer term view. His focus on the city charter represents understanding of the frames of governance.

So what are you supporting him?

BTW - a #PurpleBlizzard is expected based on the forecast. Wonder how that will impact turnout?

Last edited by suburbia; Oct 16, 2017 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 4:30 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post
There are a couple of words missing from the sentence and you aren't smart enough to figure out what the sentence was saying? I figured it out in 5 seconds lol.

Though it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out, maybe you should read this book.

If Nenshi wins, it won't be because because of Smith's brilliance, it'll be people's way of saying a hearty F-U to all the liberal mouth pieces.
And how did that work out for Toronto with Rob Ford? Or in America with Donald Trump? Yeah conservatives sure showed us "liberal mouth pieces"!!! They sure proved us right. They sure punished themselves to spite those liberal elites!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 4:32 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman View Post
Despite what has been indicated in the various replies to my previous post, I am not an uninformed voter and have done plenty of research. I am a proud Canadian/Calgarian and have lived in Calgary most of my life. I love this city and really want to see it move forward with a new mayor and a city council who get things done and who recognize the need to work with our business leaders to attract new business and work with them to complete new projects. I expect a council that works hard to find ways to cut red tape and make it easier to make new projects feasible. Calgary has unfortunately been the victim of an economy that is suffering due to the downturn in the oil and gas industry and at times like these we should be looking to build new infrastructure and amenities and work with, not against, the business leaders in this regard.

I am hoping that a new city council and a different mayor will have the drive and ambition to see the opportunities available and who will welcome business leaders and sit down with them to implement strategies that will move this city forward. I truly believe that hard work, cooperation, dtermination and big dreams create great cities.
If you're pro infrastructure Bill Smith should be the last person to get your vote. Him wanting to put a hold on the green line will delay it by at least 4 years and could even cost provincial funding for the project. His PC style of governance will mean building during booms and holding the purse strings closed when things are cheaper to build in the downturn.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 4:37 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Not sure why you think the statement was pointed at Nenshi alone? The post said 'all of the liberal mouthpieces' There are plenty of them on social media.
Yes there's no better way to prove liberal mouthpieces wrong than to elect crackheads and senile, criminal sex offenders into government.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 4:41 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
So you've never seen any tweets, or interviews with Nenshi where he comes across as arrogant or thin skinned?
Even if he does, so what? You've never seen an arrogant politician? Bill Smith is a shill for private interests and he won't release a concrete platform or his donor list. He's also an idiot who's been sued for malpractice and had the bank try to repo his business assets. He flippantly wants to put a hold on the green line lrt for no reason but his gut instinct. He should be un-electable .

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:17 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ave View Post
Why would other Muslims care that he's Ismaili, Ismaili's are Muslims also.
It's like Protestants and Catholics. Why don't you ask the Irish how that's going?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Even if he does, so what? You've never seen an arrogant politician? Bill Smith is a shill for private interests and he won't release a concrete platform or his donor list. He's also an idiot who's been sued for malpractice and had the bank try to repo his business assets. He flippantly wants to put a hold on the green line lrt for no reason but his gut instinct. He should be un-electable .
Yes he should be un-electable but people forget and people are stupid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy