HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 7:41 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Gas prices went up 10 cents per litre over the past week to pad gas companies' wallets, and you're getting the pitchforks out over a 1.5 cent increase that'll go towards transportation improvments for the region that will actually help you out? Maybe think about switching your anger towards the right target.
I'm very much in favour of transit investment, and government revenue generating and spending overall, but what I don't understand is why permanent taxes have to be raised every time we want to built a one-time capital expense. Taxes went up for the Evergreen Line, it was built, and now we still have their revenue. But now we have to raise taxes permanently again for our next wave of projects? And I imagine the same after these are built? I can't say I'm like mad about it or anything, and I know all cities across North America do it, I just don't understand why they have to.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 7:55 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I'm very much in favour of transit investment, and government revenue generating and spending overall, but what I don't understand is why permanent taxes have to be raised every time we want to built a one-time capital expense. Taxes went up for the Evergreen Line, it was built, and now we still have their revenue. But now we have to raise taxes permanently again for our next wave of projects? And I imagine the same after these are built? I can't say I'm like mad about it or anything, and I know all cities across North America do it, I just don't understand why they have to.
To account for inflation?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
You are forgetting about the existing pipeline, it will be dedicated to refined products, gasoline and diesel and some light oils, so the capacity to transport gasoline to Burnaby will be 'huge" coming from the refineries with the lowest cost crude in North America. FYI the WS and California refiners will "add on" capacity as needed, they have been doing so for decades, it just won't be needed by Vancouver if the TMP is twinned.
Why would the existing pipeline mix change? Clearly it's at the highest profitability for the owner.

Where does this mythical extra refining capacity come from? Any sources?

p.s. our refined gas does not come from California.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
It can transport any petroleum product.
You and jagaword are being extremely disingenuous. You've already said elsewhere the pipeline is going to be used to ship to foreign markets so you can be free of the discount imposed by having only the USA as your only export market for tarsands oil.

Therefore it is clear the increased shipments of dilbit aren't going to help BC at all. In fact they will hurt us economically as well as environmentally. The increased offshore shipments will reduce the amount available for our one refinery and for the Washington state refinery that provides the rest of our gas needs. And they will drive up the price of of what those local refineries pay.

You can't have it both ways.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 5:51 PM

Just paid 115.6 for regular gas at Costco in AB.

Suck it, BC.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Because when they build a new line they also have to operate it? Or do you think operational costs don't increase? Do you think that after TransLink buys a bunch of new buses they don't have to hire new drivers?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 10:40 PM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Just paid 115.6 for regular gas at Costco in AB.

Suck it, BC.
Just paid what works out to 1.09 for regular in Ferndale. And I didn’t have to go to Alberta

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
You and jagaword are being extremely disingenuous. You've already said elsewhere the pipeline is going to be used to ship to foreign markets so you can be free of the discount imposed by having only the USA as your only export market for tarsands oil.

Therefore it is clear the increased shipments of dilbit aren't going to help BC at all. In fact they will hurt us economically as well as environmentally. The increased offshore shipments will reduce the amount available for our one refinery and for the Washington state refinery that provides the rest of our gas needs. And they will drive up the price of of what those local refineries pay.

You can't have it both ways.
No, you apparently refuse to even try to be rational. Yes we will have it 'both ways', as the pipeline capacity is going to be tripled. That will allow as much oil and refined products to go to Vancouver as they need, as well as allowing dilbit to be exported. It's quite simple, and I'm sure you are capable of understanding this, you just don't want to.

That said, the pipeline in itself won't bring down the price of your gas. That would require more refineries to be built (among other things), which is up to you guys if you want to build them locally.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
No, you apparently refuse to even try to be rational. Yes we will have it 'both ways', as the pipeline capacity is going to be tripled. That will allow as much oil and refined products to go to Vancouver as they need, as well as allowing dilbit to be exported. It's quite simple, and I'm sure you are capable of understanding this, you just don't want to.

That said, the pipeline in itself won't bring down the price of your gas. That would require more refineries to be built (among other things), which is up to you guys if you want to build them locally.
Nope, you're still not making any sense.

If the purpose of the pipeline is to secure higher prices for Albertan oil explain how that will not drive prices higher for British Columbians. One more incentive to fight TMX.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Nope, you're still not making any sense.

If the purpose of the pipeline is to secure higher prices for Albertan oil explain how that will not drive prices higher for British Columbians. One more incentive to fight TMX.
I'm not going to argue that TMX will make much difference to your gas prices - it probably won't as so much of the cost at the pump is tax. But it will allow more refined product to flow from Alberta to Vancouver because there's another 600,000 barrels of space.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:19 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
I'm not going to argue that TMX will make much difference to your gas prices - it probably won't as so much of the cost at the pump is tax. But it will allow more refined product to flow from Alberta to Vancouver because there's another 600,000 barrels of space.
Why would we want more refined product flowing here? We’re already a net exporter of gasoline

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:30 AM

Source for that? Either way it doesn't matter too much, as I agree the TMX won't make much difference to gas prices in Vancouver, but claiming it will increase them is rubbish.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Why would we want more refined product flowing here? We’re already a net exporter of gasoline
Wrong. BC has refining capacity of ~70 Mb/day while consuming 197

https://www.neb-one.gc.ca/nrg/ntgrtd...wbdisable=true

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Just paid what works out to 1.09 for regular in Ferndale. And I didn’t have to go to Alberta
The gas prices are so high here in Metro Van because they know people will just keep paying it. They will keep cranking up the gas taxes. The thinking is that if we don't like it, move somewhere else. Otherwise, just shut up and pay.

It makes my trips south to shop that much sweeter as the price gap widens.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:34 AM

Quote:
And how long did you wait at the border crossing?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Wrong
Continuing a very consistent trend.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Transit projects require long term debt, typically with 30 year plus terms. The taxes stay in place until the debt matures.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:37 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
And how long did you wait at the border crossing?
Drove right up there was no line

http://www.borderlineups.com/peace-a...er-wait-times/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
That wasn't his point. The gas taxes are getting out of hand as seen in this breakdown of provincial taxes on clear gasoline (i.e. regular unleaded fuel)

Source: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/ta...ates-fuels.pdf

So 33 cents on every dollar expended to purchase a litre of fuel in metro Vancouver can be attributable alone to gas taxes. This table doesn't even reflect the additional 1.5 cent increase, so let's round it up to 35 cents per litre. Great! Oh, we also forgot to add the GST at 5% of the total purchase. GST applies on top of the other taxes resulting in multiple layers of taxation on taxes. Tax party! So yeah, a $1.61 litre price per fuel has at least 55 cents in taxes and people have good reason to be tired of it...
Also 10c per litre Federal excise tax

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:41 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Wrong. BC has refining capacity of ~70 Mb/day while consuming 197

https://www.neb-one.gc.ca/nrg/ntgrtd...wbdisable=true
Our refining capacity together with refined products from Alberta made us a net exporter of gasoline in 2017. We exported 6,000 barrels per day to the US. Any more questions?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure