HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 6:40 PM

I was pulling for the Mark proposal, I'm glad they won. Can't wait to see a new tower, if it ever comes to fruition.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 8:11 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Hmm... an easy bike ride to SE/NE Portland. I hope they install about 1,000 bike parking racks, as it could be swamped if its successful.

Honestly, I am hoping for a clean, functional and well-organized space, like Canada's Granville Island. However, the bridge overpasses do offer some opportunity for form-making. Guess we'll see...

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 7:04 PM

Another step towards the public market ...

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...ioners_16.html

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 2:10 AM

...and another:

Plans for a public market in downtown Portland advance

Multnomah County Chairman Jeff Cogen announced a tentative deal with Melvin Mark Development Co. Friday to launch a Pike Place-style market at the west end of the Morrison Bridge.

Envisioned as an "iconic gateway" to downtown, the market would host 110 local vendors of food and food-related products and sit next to a new office tower on Southwest First Avenue. Together, the projects are expected to bring $10.4 million to the county's fragile general fund, transforming an empty county-owned lot into a bustling tourist destination that would complement nearby Portland Saturday Market.

What's more, proceeds from the land sale would go toward a capital fund to repair or replace the Multnomah County Courthouse downtown, Cogen announced in his State of the County Speech.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 12:58 AM

A 17 floor office building in that location would plug a huge hole in the skyline, and make big pink look marginally less lonely. But I'll believe it when I see shovels in the ground.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 1:20 AM

[QUOTE]But I'll believe it when I see shovels in the ground./QUOTE]

Yep

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 3:29 PM

The James Beard Public Market and Melvin Mark Development Co. are expected to ink a deal with Multnomah County to acquire three acres at the Morrison Bridgehead for a year-round farmers market on Thursday.

James Beard Public Market finds a home
Portland Business Journal by Wendy Culverwell , Business Journal staff writer
Date: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 9:58am PDT - Last Modified: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 2:54pm PDT

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...&ed=2012-06-12

Quote:
Multnomah County commissioners will cap a decades-long effort to create a year-round farmers market in Portland this week by inking a deal to sell land to the James Beard Public Market and its partner, Melvin Mark Development Co.

County commissioners will vote Thursday — Flag Day — on a $10.4 million deal to sell a three-acre parking lot at the western end of the Morrison Bridge to the market team.

The county expects to net $10 million from the sale. Proceeds are earmarked to replace or remodel the aging county courthouse. The county will forgo approximately $400,000 a year in revenue generated by the parking lot.

The James Beard team spent more than a decade looking for the right site for the “kitchen” equivalent to the city’s “living room,” aka Pioneer Courthouse Square. In 2008, the market was an also-ran in the competition to secure the historic U.S. Post Office, 511 N.W. Broadway, when the government opted instead to transfer it to the Pacific Northwest College of Art.

The Morrison Bridge site offered the right mix of downtown location and access to public transportation.

It signed on with Melvin Mark to pursue the Morrison property when Multnomah County decided to sell it several years ago. The county selected the James Beard/Melvin Mark proposal over a rival proposal by Gerding Edlen Development and Downtown Development Group to install a mixed-use eco district there.

The sale agreement gives the market 37 months to raise the approximately $25 million it needs to proceed.

County commissioners meet at 9:30 a.m. June 14 at 501 S.E. Hawthorne St.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 9:03 PM

^^^ Anyone know which architecture firm is working on this? I'd like to see more detailed renderings, if they exist.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 9:26 PM

http://www.melvinmarkcompanies.com/m...n_design.html#

Looks like SERA is the architect.

and there's a few more renderings/site planning maps over there following the link at the top of this post.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 9:45 PM

Ahh, thanks! Wish Sera was partnering with a smaller firm on this... would be nice to build something iconic for this project.*

I'm really hoping that this acts as a catalyst for residential development along Naito.

*It does look pretty cool, though.

Last edited by tworivers; Jun 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 5:38 PM

Awesome!

I just showed my mom that (she lives in the suburbs of San Diego), and her response was "that looks pretty cool, but where are all those people supposed to park?"

That just goes to show you that mindset those suburban folk have.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 10:00 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Actually, its a little ironic to put a pedestrian-oriented market at the base of the one and only Portland bridge that directly connects to I-5. Think about it - the Northern section of the bridge is wholly given over to cars.

The Morrison Bridge is a bloody eyesore.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 11:31 PM

Melvin Mark, after purchasing the property from the county, should build the tower to government specs and lease, or sell, to the county for the new county court house.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 11:50 PM

It seem to me a bit unfortunate that the farmers market will be built at what is possible the point downtown farthest from any housing. I always though that somewhere along either the North or South Park Blocks would have been far superior.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 12:55 AM

If they can calm Naito and connect the market with the hopefully renovated Waterfront Park (http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/...ter%20Plan.pdf) and with the Saturday Market so close on the weekends as well, this could work out well for everybody.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 5:17 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Walch View Post
It seem to me a bit unfortunate that the farmers market will be built at what is possible the point downtown farthest from any housing. I always though that somewhere along either the North or South Park Blocks would have been far superior.

Beggars can't be choosers.
Actually the annoying thing is this isn't the farmer's market, the ones working on this market are actually not working with the people that do the Farmer's Market. Personally I think it would be a better idea for them to work with the farmer's market to find a location and build a permanent location that would work best for the city. I am not sure the base of the Waterfront is it, the current design seems nothing more than an enclosed food cart building.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I am not sure the base of the Waterfront is it, the current design seems nothing more than an enclosed food cart building.
http://www.portlandpublicmarket.com/

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 9:55 PM

Haven't heard anything about this project in a while, until today, when it's mentioned in an AIA email

Quote:
Morrison Bridgehead Project: Active. Vibrant. Sustainable

April 9, 2013
11:30 am to 1:00 pm
Cost: $25 Members/$30 Non-members
Meeting Sponsor: $250
The Governor Hotel, 614 Southwest 11th Avenue Portland, OR 97205

Join us to learn more about the Morrison Bridgehead Project, a new development at the foot of the bridge that will include an iconic tower and the James Beard Public Market. Craig Lewis of Melvin Mark Development Company, Ron Paul from the Historic Portland Public Market Foundation, and Paul Jefferies of SERA Architects will present the history of the process, current design concept, economic impact and vision for adding what will become “Portland’s kitchen and pantry”.

Successful Public Markets define and nourish a city's soul. Many cities across our country and around the world have thriving public markets. Portland's long history of public markets began in 1870 but the city now has been without a central market for two generations. Reestablishing a public market can improve the quality of life in Portland and the surrounding region.
http://portland.csinet.org/

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 7:02 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I wonder if this tower will prove to be more bad news for PAW due to competition for tenants. I mean, really now, if there were enough demand, PAW would have begun construction again.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 8:16 PM

^There's a lot of internal family conflict going on now that Mr. Moyer is advanced in age and suffering from dementia. Kinda like the Naito family squabbling for a decade that severely hobbled the development company.

Most developers are free of the internal drama, court fights, and differing visions of what to do with their company. I expect new towers to rise before too long, I just hope the PAW squabbles can be resolved so it too can start to rise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland