HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 7:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Mods nail me for this, but you are a fucking idiot.

You know nothing of Toronto or Montreal.

We all know that all the musicians in both cities could disagree with you but you would still have a hate-on for Toronto.
Lol. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about, but you’re prepared to lie and feign indignance to pretend that you do. It seems to me we were just discussing this attitude.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 8:00 AM
sick transit, gloria

I know a decent number of people in this city's music scene.

Last edited by niwell; Sep 28, 2013 at 9:02 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 11:15 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I think that the Montreal-Toronto and Montreal-Vancouver links people are talking about are definitely subcultural in nature. Culturally speaking, the broader Montreal can be fairly self-absorbed and when it looks outward looks more towards the rest of Quebec and francophone parts of the ROC like Acadia, the US and Europe probably more than it does to Toronto or Vancouver.

Granted, there are subcultures like the anglo music scene people here are more familiar with, but it remains just that - a subcultural phenomenon.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 10:12 AM
video et taceo

edit: it doesn't matter. getting into this will prove unpleasant and counter-productive. you have a thing about toronto, allan, and it's a little overbearing sometimes. you are very negative about that city, and it doesn't seem balanced.

Last edited by kool maudit; Sep 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 10:22 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I know a decent number of people in this city's music scene.
the social scene that surrounded a lot of the cited bands moved between montreal and toronto with regularity, as it's an easy drive for a show or a party. planes to vancouver aren't quite the same, though a decent portion of the artists involved did originally come from b.c.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 10:23 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think that the Montreal-Toronto and Montreal-Vancouver links people are talking about are definitely subcultural in nature.

we're basically talking anglophone hipsters here. the mile-end/west queen west circuit.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 12:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
we're basically talking anglophone hipsters here. the mile-end/west queen west circuit.
That's what I thought. Somehow I doubt that Michel Rivard, Marie-Mai, Coeur de Pirate, Stefie Shock, Corneille, K-maro, Ariane Moffatt or even Malajube jam with musicians from Toronto...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 1:15 PM
ARTchitecture

I have friends in Southwestern Ontario in Heavy Metal bands that jam with folks up in Quebec, and all over the east really. Isn't there a thread for music? The "redux thread" or something?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 3:13 PM

I'm glad Westerners can teach me so much about my own city that I had wrong all this time!

/facepalm

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 3:28 PM
ARTchitecture

You do realize that many westerners have lived in/grew up in "your" city, right?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
You do realize that many westerners have lived in/grew up in "your" city, right?
So did habfanman. Didn't make his comments intelligent or based on reality.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 3:36 PM
ARTchitecture

That's true. I wonder where the Gibbroni was from...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 4:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Likely fairly close to where Habfanman was from!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
I think London originally. He did spend some time in Toronto many decades ago.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's what I thought. Somehow I doubt that Michel Rivard, Marie-Mai, Coeur de Pirate, Stefie Shock, Corneille, K-maro, Ariane Moffatt or even Malajube jam with musicians from Toronto...
Coeur de Pirate, Ariane Moffatt, and Malajube at least are part of the same scene. Off the top of my head I'm not familiar with the others. I’m not sure what you mean by “jamming with Toronto musicians” but these bands tour nationally and draw the same audiences as English indie bands. I don’t think they tour the US as much as the Anglo bands do, but I’m guessing that they do tour Europe almost as much. The Montreal music scene is very collaborative and mutually supportive, btw, and I’m sure they jam with lots of prominent Anglo musicians in Montreal. There are some good quotes from Merrill Garbus on this, amongst others. If you’re interested in Toronto in particular there is one sort of Toronto connection I can think of. Coeur de Pirate did a song (perhaps more than one?) with Jay Malinowski of the band Bedouin Soundclash. Malinowski is originally from Vancouver but he started his band while he was going to school at Queen’s in Kingston, and I think they’re now based out of Toronto, so that’s kind of Toronto.

There is no mile-end/west queen west “circuit” btw. KM is just doing what KM does. Most of the big name indie bands go on long tours through North American or Europe, and the up and coming ones tend to do tours down the east coast of the US. One of the many reasons these artists move to Montreal is its proximity to the large population centres on the east coast of the US, where there are some very similarly minded leading edge music scenes, like Brooklyn.

SXSW 2012: Montreal is the new Brooklyn
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture...-new-brooklyn/
http://blogues.lapresse.ca/musique/2...veau-montreal/

Bonus videos:
Video Link

Video Link

We could have some long discussion about Canadian music, btw, but I’m not sure this is the right thread. And I'm not sure our friends, who seem to be deeply immersed in the Toronto media myths about the Toronto music scene, would be very happy with what they'd learn.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 6:14 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
There is no mile-end/west queen west “circuit” btw. KM is just doing what KM does.
Just out of curiosity, how much time have you spent in Toronto and/or Montreal going to shows and hanging out with the musicians in those two cities? A few months? A year?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 6:15 PM

Allan83 out of curiosity, are you a 9/11 "truther"?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 6:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure our friends, who seem to be deeply immersed in the Toronto media myths about the Toronto music scene, would be very happy with what they'd learn.
Even if the supposed connections between the Toronto and Montreal indie music scenes are a complete myth, how would that be an unpleasant revelation for Torontonians? I've always thought that Montreal had a little bit of a claim on bands like Metric (Haines and Shaw lived in Montreal for a while and recorded an EP there) and Stars (the entire band also lived in and recorded in Montreal). The notion that they are 100% Toronto products is no reason to be disappointed. Quite the opposite.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Even if the supposed connections between the Toronto and Montreal indie music scenes are a complete myth, how would that be an unpleasant revelation for Torontonians? I've always thought that Montreal had a little bit of a claim on bands like Metric (Haines and Shaw lived in Montreal for a while and recorded an EP there) and Stars (the entire band also lived in and recorded in Montreal). The notion that they are 100% Toronto products is no reason to be disappointed. Quite the opposite.
The truth is the truth. There’s nothing wrong with the truth, but I think the truth would challenge a mythology that your friends seem heavily invested in.

Just for trivia’s sake how many other bands with connections to both cities can you name? I’ve got one more off the top of my head, and three if you want to cheat and stretch the boundaries to include Guelph.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 6:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Coeur de Pirate, Ariane Moffatt, and Malajube at least are part of the same scene. Off the top of my head I'm not familiar with the others. I’m not sure what you mean by “jamming with Toronto musicians” but these bands tour nationally and draw the same audiences as English indie bands. I don’t think they tour the US as much as the Anglo bands do, but I’m guessing that they do tour Europe almost as much. The Montreal music scene is very collaborative and mutually supportive, btw, and I’m sure they jam with lots of prominent Anglo musicians in Montreal. There are some good quotes from Merrill Garbus on this, amongst others. If you’re interested in Toronto in particular there is one sort of Toronto connection I can think of. Coeur de Pirate did a song (perhaps more than one?) with Jay Malinowski of the band Bedouin Soundclash. Malinowski is originally from Vancouver but he started his band while he was going to school at Queen’s in Kingston, and I think they’re now based out of Toronto, so that’s kind of Toronto.
A few collaborative works does not make them part of the same scene.

I don't doubt that things have maybe improved slightly, but anglo musicians and music fans (even in Montreal) are famous for ignoring music produced in French as if it wasn't "real music".

I mean, you can go to a francophone music concert in Montreal (name any genre you want) with a couple thousand people and not hear a SINGLE person speaking English during the entire evening.

BTW, Vincent Vallières is number three on the cross-Canada charts this week:

http://www.billboard.com/charts/canadian-albums

Maybe some of you guys should check him out...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada