HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Crown Utilities bid $4.5Million for the pipe line relocation part of the project and were the only bidder. It has not been awarded yet so I don't know if the city is trying to tweak the price.

Another company has bid $260,000 +/- for the actual pipe to be used in the relocation.

In total there is about $5 million being spent just to relocate the Esso and Shell pipe lines.
Isn't it funny, all these 'professional people that we hire to do preliminary design and costing analysis of major projects just seem to forget to look under the ground to see what can of worms they are turning up, but then remark, we are already to far in to this project to consider other alternatives.

Perhaps, they should get their heads out of the sand before someone comes along and parks a bicycle up their ass. I say it once again, this project should have been stopped and another look should had been taken at it. The present plan only does on thing, puts cars under a rail line that CN has tied up traffic at since 1924. The alternative overpass that would have also gone over Dugald Rd., would have allowed a smoother traffic flow North/South and East/West without piling traffic at a stop light at Dugald and Plessis still. Taking in account all the 'extras' of the present project the cost would have been relatively the same amount.

What a nice piece of history the bum-fuckers down at City Hall are handing our children and grandchildren, this political nightmare will be a great study for their children in years to come. In political science, engineering, .....no, in the field of political corn-holing, because this is one of the biggest clusters I ever laid eyes on. I said it from the start and I say it again, watch and see what happens this election. Sammy puts the rubber glove on and there's sand in the ointment.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 11:51 PM

Just looking at the Herald community newspaper section of the Free Press today , looks like some lawyer is going to try for an injunction to get the city to open Plessis road up at the crossing until real work is ready to be done.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our...257224791.html

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Just looking at the Herald community newspaper section of the Free Press today , looks like some lawyer is going to try for an injunction to get the city to open Plessis road up at the crossing until real work is ready to be done.

I didn't have a strong opinion either way on Wyatt until this debacle to inconvenience a community, reroute truck traffic through a residential neighbourhood and reroute other traffic through a school zone to qualify for easy federal stimulus funding as a "shovel-ready" () project.

Blatant lie by the City of Winnipeg, led in this case by Russ Wyatt. Now who's going to fund the rebuild of Pandora Avenue, which is being destroyed by truck traffic it was not built to handle as we speak?

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:44 AM

Absolutely the opposite of shovel ready. Also I don't think they could just reopen the road. There should be ditching and a shoofly through the road

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 5:54 PM

It's NOT too late to call it off.

Russ never played in the sand box like his brother did and has no experience with dirt. What each person said is true, this is a real cluster and it not over yet.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 6:09 PM

In an article published in the Winnipeg Free Press on Feb. 5, director of public works Brad Sacher told Bartley Kives the project has been delayed because of setbacks relocating sections of the Shell and Imperial pipelines in the area and a section of the Redditt line.

The roadway stood idle from July 28th closing until late September, whereby about a dozen loads of gravel were dumped on the asphalt and pylon were put up on both sides. machines and crates of pipe were placed in the vacant area to the west of Plessis. The rip-rap was dumped on the roadway in November. The poor frozen flagman held a death virgile on the roadway from late September to December, who knows, perhaps he's still there, waiting until it warms up.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 6:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:

It's almost as if the city was unaware that pipelines ran through the site (unbelievable but this is Winnipeg) now the city seems frozen in a prolonged huddle trying to figure out what to do (as usual). Maybe the now condemned parkade behind city hall has interrupted their attention (again), maybe throwing a $270K study can un-condemn the parkade. Shit show as usual....you betcha!

PS alittle the city designed and built a curved overpass on Nairn way back in the 1960's, I guess a straightline overpass over a railway line and road are now out of the realm of their capabilities, this city gets smaller in many ways by the month, hard to believe that at one time this city was on par with Calgary and Edmonton in the 1980's and now we struggle to keep up with Regina and Saskatoon.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
It's almost as if the city was unaware that pipelines ran through the site (unbelievable but this is Winnipeg) now the city seems frozen in a prolonged huddle trying to figure out what to do (as usual). Maybe the now condemned parkade behind city hall has interrupted their attention (again), maybe throwing a $270K study can un-condemn the parkade. Shit show as usual....you betcha!

PS alittle the city designed and built a curved overpass on Nairn way back in the 1960's, I guess a straightline overpass over a railway line and road are now out of the realm of their capabilities, this city gets smaller in many ways by the month, hard to believe that at one time this city was on par with Calgary and Edmonton in the 1980's and now we struggle to keep up with Regina and Saskatoon.
In the private sector, mismanagement of a business (in this case an entire city) on this scale would cause heads to roll. But here in Winnipeg, there is no accountability for anything, judging by the fact that the same morons get voted back in time and time again. It's like nobody even really cares anymore.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 9:47 PM

Quote:

For some reason I thought the original Nairn overpass was a Metro Corp of Greater Winnipeg creation just before the Unicity Merger. The rebuild scerwup where it cost more to rehab it than build it was a City of Winnipeg project. And we can't blame the current administration for that.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:42 PM

Quote:
For some reason I thought the original Nairn overpass was a Metro Corp of Greater Winnipeg creation just before the Unicity Merger. The rebuild scerwup where it cost more to rehab it than build it was a City of Winnipeg project. And we can't blame the current administration for that.
Yes, we can. The bastards had offspring and they multiplied. The 'thinkers' at City Hall who work behind the curtains are still putting in their two cents. Who remembers what took place a few months, a few years ago, on Election day. If the good people of Winnipeg had their way, they would turf the bastards out and start from new. Where's the new blood that wants to stand up and actually mean something. Tweet me. I can't be bothered to get off my ass, is usually the standard excuse when it comes to voting time.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 5:20 PM

I would love to get into City Hall and straighten that shit fest out. But at the end of the day, I can make more money elsewhere. And/or just simply can't afford to quit my job and run for mayor or council or whatever. That's what the problem is.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 3:07 PM

Well, they're at it again. More self inflicted holes going in the west bound roadway this morning. for chrissake they could have dug a tunnel down Dugald Rd. and they could have buried half the garbage in the city in it.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 3:47 PM

Apparently there is light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. I heard through the grape vine, CN and CoW finally have an agreement. Agreements with contractors being finalized. So should see track work for the shoofly being completed in the next couple weeks. Hopefully actual underpass excavation will start soon after..

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 4:23 PM

^ Any timeline on this as of yet? I only ask because it was my go to route to entering Transcona for the last decade.
It's pissing me off in an unusual way but other wise it's all good.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 4:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Apparently there is light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. I heard through the grape vine, CN and CoW finally have an agreement. Agreements with contractors being finalized. So should see track work for the shoofly being completed in the next couple weeks. Hopefully actual underpass excavation will start soon after..
Of course only in Winnipeg is the agreement finalized after the initial construction begins, is delayed and is put on hold (through the course of a year)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Of course only in Winnipeg is the agreement finalized after the initial construction begins, is delayed and is put on hold (through the course of a year)
Maybe now would be the right time for a referendum on whether this project is necessary

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 5:34 PM

No firm timeline, just what I heard and my best guess at timelines. Being optimistic too. Likely be a couple months before any noticeable hole is dug.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 12:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Maybe now would be the right time for a referendum on whether this project is necessary
Wyatt and Browaty would be all over that, hopefully in the fall enough citizens get their heads out of their azz's and vote both out in the real citizens referendum!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Wyatt and Browaty would be all over that, hopefully in the fall enough citizens get their heads out of their azz's and vote both out in the real citizens referendum!
Do you think that any of the citizens will remember, that Wyatt took his family to Toronto and spent $3600 a night on their dime? Come fall time, they'll put their "X behind his name again.

The City should have completed the four lane in front of Bernie Wolfe School before they started on the underpass. Only in Winnipeg (the bottom of a lake) would you go under a rail line to put in a roadway. The existing administration, who has been around for the last 20 years is very under handed, under cover, under developed, under false pretenses, under mined, etc. etc. (you add your own).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 9:37 PM

At least now the "Public Service" as they like to be called realizes that underpasses flood and the last few new ones of them have had pumping stations included to reduce / eliminate the problem.

There is a dry pond next to the Plessis underpass for the pumping station to fill up if the normal drainage gets overwhelmed.

That's one of the new costs for the BRT Pembina/Jubilee expansion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan