HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 3:06 AM

The roadbed (as it's called in railway terms) is simply in no shape to support the running of any rolling stock short of the most light duty speeder.

Note that I worked repairing railbeds by hand as a youth and know what I'm talking about.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 3:09 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

CP was transferred the land in exchange for building the railway which cost very real money. To imply the land was given to them for nothing is not accurate. Without the land transfer there would've been no railway built.

The Native implication is interesting, with current changes to legislation CP could sell the land a nation and they would be free to develop it as they see fit w/o needing city approval. I have no reason to believe this would happen, but it is a legal possibility and there are certain nations sitting on sizeable $$ reserves and with developer relationships to make this a viable option.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Well the government had given the me land for NOTHING and I had built a house on this free land and earned a living on it over the last hundred years, but have abandoned it for the last decade because nobody wants to rent it any more, then I'd probably have a lot weaker cause to be outraged than a citizen who had actually purchased the land with his own hard-earned money and was still making productive use of it.

Sure, the city's actions have reduced the value of the land. But let's not forget that the land was GIVEN to the railway for use as a transportation corridor, so in this particular case I believe the city is right to insist that the land should continue to be used for this purpose.
It wasn't for NOTHING, it was to ensure Vancouver was selected as the terminus of the trancontinental railroad rather than Port Moody. You can't even put a price on the advantange that gave the City of Vancouver.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
CP was transferred the land in exchange for building the railway which cost very real money. To imply the land was given to them for nothing is not accurate. Without the land transfer there would've been no railway built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It wasn't for NOTHING, it was to ensure Vancouver was selected as the terminus of the trancontinental railroad rather than Port Moody. You can't even put a price on the advantange that gave the City of Vancouver.
Are you guys in favour of CP making a killing by selling to a developer and having condos sprout up on the right of way? 'Cause I don't think that's in the best interests of the City.

The land was granted for use as a transportation corridor, and the City is requiring that it remain a transportation corridor. Is that really so unreasonable, given how it's virtually impossible to carve out these kinds of corridors once they've been lost to development?

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 6:57 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

CP could argue that the city of Vancouver systematically rezoned land away from industrial purposes to residential killing the economic viability of that line and now they are unable to repurpose that line for any other economically viable purposes.
Sure the corridor would make a good bikeway/transit corridor, but the city doesn't own it, and I feel CP is entitled to reasonable compensation for their asset if the city wants it for themselves.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Are you guys in favour of CP making a killing by selling to a developer and having condos sprout up on the right of way? 'Cause I don't think that's in the best interests of the City.

The land was granted for use as a transportation corridor, and the City is requiring that it remain a transportation corridor. Is that really so unreasonable, given how it's virtually impossible to carve out these kinds of corridors once they've been lost to development?
The land was not granted "for use as a transportation corridor". It was granted to the CPR in exchange for bringing the railway to Vancouver. The CPR chose to do various things with it: sell portions off for housing, lease it to a golf course (Quilchena) and build a railway line. That the portion used as a rail line is the only part left is an accident of history, not its ordained use.

I always find it strange that people will argue the city doesn't have the power to force preservation of heritage homes, yet apparently have no problem granting the city the power to wipe hundred of millions off the CPR's land holdings.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 9:21 AM

Does anyone happen to know of any footage of freight trains running down this corridor before it was mothballed in the 1990s?

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Well the government had given the me land for NOTHING and I had built a house on this free land and earned a living on it over the last hundred years, but have abandoned it for the last decade because nobody wants to rent it any more, then I'd probably have a lot weaker cause to be outraged than a citizen who had actually purchased the land with his own hard-earned money and was still making productive use of it.
Errr fact check you do know that CP and CN acquired their land well over 100 years ago through legal barter and services rendered right? They weren't given the land for free. Having right-of-way doesn't mean you are given land. It just means you have the right-of-way to conduct your regular business on the land whatever that requires. So that means regardless of if Vancouver passes a bylaw for example saying "no trains down that stretch" CP has the right to run trains because they have been given that right federally.

They do own their land though and purchased it 100+ years ago by footing the bill to build required railways across Canada in return for purchasing and being granted land. For example, in 1880 they were granted $25 million in credit and acreage in return for building over $25 million worth of railway. That's no different than farmers who were granted acreage by the government for moving out west and settling. Did all those farmers have less rights on their land than you do buying a house today just because they were granted the land for services rendered?

I don't think so.

CP wasn't just given anything for free though get that out of your head. There was a lot of bartering done back in the late 1800s and early 1900s, but it was still commerce and resulted in legal acquisition of land and assets.

Quote:
Sure, the city's actions have reduced the value of the land. But let's not forget that the land was GIVEN to the railway for use as a transportation corridor, so in this particular case I believe the city is right to insist that the land should continue to be used for this purpose.
See above. It wasn't given for free. It was acquired through services rendered AKA building railways across Canada. BC wouldn't be a Province today if it weren't for CP building the first transcontinental railway across Canada. I think that gives them plenty of rights to the land they were "given" in return for the millions of dollars and man-hours spent in the late 1800s building the damned thing.

How quickly people forget Canadian history.

It isn't the city's right to "insist" anything about CP's land. They can ask kindly, but they actually can't insist anything. All they can do is try to force things indirectly by making it impossible for CP to sell their land. That is Vancouver's right but I still think it is a complete jerk move on their part.

At this stage though I doubt CP gives a crap if the land were sold to become residential or park land. They just want to get the money for the asset. The reality is many people in this thread are correct, it is just posturing and political gamesmanship because there is no industry anywhere along that stretch anymore and that's largely why CP abandoned the line for all these years. That doesn't mean they don't have a right to fair compensation for their land that they may have acquired 120 years ago, but have no less rights today than if they purchased it 20 years ago imo.

Again though get it out of your head that they were given anything for free. Go read your history books again and you'll see they did a heck of a lot of work for the land they either purchased or were granted. You'll also realize that land grants were how this country was settled 100+ years ago and that many of our largest commercial farms today across the country are still owned by families that were originally granted their land.

Do they have less rights than you to their land? If CP doesn't, then I guess they don't either.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 4:24 PM

Quote:
I am in favor of CP rail selling the land for fair market value to whoever buys it so that they get healthy return on their assets. Beyond that I don't care either way if it is sold to developers for condos to sprout up or if someone else builds it to leave it as a bike path and community garden. I don't think CP cares either what happens to the land.

If the city doesn't want condos along that stretch, they forced that through the bylaw changes but CP rail still deserves compensation for the land if they want to get rid of it. Either a land swap of equal value so CP can then sell the new land to developers to again get fair compensation, OR the city foots the bill and buys the land off them.

Quote:
"Select" transportation corridor. By transportation corridor, you mean simply bikes and pedestrians. That's what the city is "requiring." The rest they are denying. They have in the plan that SkyTrain elevated can't be built ever due to noise and disruption to the community. Those same reasons would make it impossible to build LRT along that stretch. Why? LRT is noisier and more disruptive since it actually crosses streets and can run into people. And I don't think they would widen Arbutus to 4 lanes of car traffic to open up that stretch as a 'transportation corridor.' So that means rapid transit would be underground which doesn't matter if the stretch is grass or buildings because they uses these things called tunnels (see Broadway).

So maintaining the stretch as open grass is just to allow bike lanes and pedestrians.

But see it is then very difficult for the city of Vancouver to buy the land for $600 million or whatever just to build bike lanes and a walking path. Could you imagine them trying to sell that to the citizens of Vancouver? $600 million bike lanes?

That's effectively what they are trying to do though by being sneaky and through political gamesmanship. And CP is saying "we can play that game too jerks." I actually applaud CP for having the balls to stand up to Vancouver City Council.

Honestly I don't care either way because I neither live in Vancouver nor travel along Arbutus ever, but it is definitely an interesting battle to watch.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 4:46 PM

If the city and CP came to the table and cooperated, it would certainly be possible (although maybe not straightforward) to incorporate a communal path into any new development along the corridor.

Such a path would be greatly improved compared to its current condition.

It doesn't have to be an either / or proposition.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 4:49 PM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 9:42 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 5:13 PM
More Towers

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Does anyone happen to know of any footage of freight trains running down this corridor before it was mothballed in the 1990s?
Two still pics:

http://www.vancourier.com/community/...idor-1.1067837

http://www.vancourier.com/community/...idor-1.1067837

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 11:21 PM
More Towers

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 12:55 AM

FWIW I don't care if they use the rails for whatever purpose, but the crossings will need serious work. The first kid that gets hit by a train will be a big news story.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
FWIW I don't care if they use the rails for whatever purpose, but the crossings will need serious work. The first kid that gets hit by a train will be a big news story.
The flashing lights are all still there.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
So a total gut job removing all the ties/rails?
Pretty much Yeah that's why it will never be resurrected, there is no money and no will to spend the money to service industries that no longer exist.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 6:05 AM
More Towers

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 12:57 AM

A good compromise would be if CP rail were to build a tunnel tall enough and wide enough for double track street cars or skytrain. The city gets the tunnel for use in a future public transit project.

CP Rail is given the rights to build and sell off condos and office building built over the tunnel. We could even given CP bonus density along a future transit oriented route.

There will be some protests from local residents. However it will be no worse that what happened along the Canada Line.

Many years ago, my mother worked for Johns Tends and Awnings (near 11th and Arbutus). They had a factory along that rail line with a rail siding and loading bay. In some ways it is disappointing, I had a look at the building that use to house a 5 story factory and supplied the military and major retailors of the day (Woodwards). It now houses the Kits Mini-Storage.

I can't think of any other manufacturing operation that still existing along that line that would warrant a railway line existing there today.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 1:24 AM
More Towers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure