HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 9:17 PM

There are always plenty of empty parking spots available across the street where Best Buy, Michaels, Save-On Foods, etc are located if people can't parking right by the mall. Of course that means walking an extra block...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 9:18 PM
surely you agree with me

I doubt the realized project will be car-free as they say, but that's not critical. This is a great proposal...a catalyst for rapid transit and growth in the west end. Can't see it being a ten year build-out....I'd be happy if it starts in ten years!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Where will people park? Being serious though, there will be a lot of extra cars. Never mind the normal mall traffic during busy times. I assume the entire underground levels of the site will be parking.
Where will all the buses that use Polo Park as a terminal go?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 9:49 PM

With this many new residents, it could completely change the direction of Polo Park. I would imagine there would be way more demand for things people want in their neighbourhood like hair salons, bakeries, coffee shops, etc. As retail continues to struggle, malls with density around them should adapt and become spaces for their communities, not just visitors from the suburbs.

Or heck, just tear the whole thing down and build a park. That'd be cool too.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
With this many new residents, it could completely change the direction of Polo Park. I would imagine there would be way more demand for things people want in their neighbourhood like hair salons, bakeries, coffee shops, etc. As retail continues to struggle, malls with density around them should adapt and become spaces for their communities, not just visitors from the suburbs.
This was always the plan, I think it was always envisioned that malls would become neighbourhood hubs. Plan Winnipeg back in the 80s called for that. Although I don't think it envisioned what is being proposed here with large-scale residential where the parking lots are now. I think it's fantastic and a really nice way to see what is essentially Winnipeg's true retail downtown continue to evolve.

I guess we can follow Richmond Centre's progress as a bit of a glimpse into Polo Park's future. That is also a Cadillac Fairview project. I would imagine work must be starting soon over there... I expected it to be under way last year when I visited but it didn't look like work had begun yet.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 10:10 PM

Edit. Nevermind. I see what yout talking about now.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 10:17 PM

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
Or heck, just tear the whole thing down and build a park. That'd be cool too.
A... polo park?

But yes, this is the steroids version of what other major commercial centres are doing/talking about doing around Winnipeg: incorporating residential. And these residential projects would sell like hotcakes. Especially in St. James where there hasn't been very much new residential in decades.

Much of Polo Park neighbourhood is on a combined sewer service, and the Province requires that new development on a combined sewer doesn't create additional outflow into the rivers. So that could complicate the plan to build hundreds of new residential units.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Monster proposal released today by Cadillac Fairview and Shindico... $1.5 billion, 10 year plan to redevelop the Polo Park parking lots from Portage right up to St. Matthews.

]
Those large empty lots will finally get filled in. This is a huge improvement to that area. Hopefully it goes through.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 10:23 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
A...
Much of Polo Park neighbourhood is on a combined sewer service, and the Province requires that new development on a combined sewer doesn't create additional outflow into the rivers. So that could complicate the plan to build hundreds of new residential units.
we really need to start fixing this....

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
There are always plenty of empty parking spots available across the street where Best Buy, Michaels, Save-On Foods, etc are located if people can't parking right by the mall. Of course that means walking an extra block...
They don't own that land.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I doubt the realized project will be car-free as they say, but that's not critical. This is a great proposal...a catalyst for rapid transit and growth in the west end. Can't see it being a ten year build-out....I'd be happy if it starts in ten years!
Starts next year!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 10:33 PM

For all my critique's, it looks much better than what is there now. I just don't have any faith in Shindico whatsoever. Hopefully the CF part gets built to something close as the renders show.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Does that explain the color of the river in the above picture?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 12:13 AM

Shindico is slowly improving with every project. They have the right idea with Taylor Apartments by having residential next to a Walmart, restaurants, somewhat usable bike lane but missed the mark because it’s a concrete jungle.

Westport on paper looks a bit better, has quite a bit more density and it’s closer to more amenities, but it’s frontage off Portage is terrible.

Now this project has the most density, decent street frontage, and is essentially an inner city infill development. Being right on Portage Ave next to the ridiculous amount of amenities in walking distance means an easy car-free life. Transit service is as good as it gets anywhere in the city really. This would be a nice place to live wonder how expensive the rent’s gonna be.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 1:07 AM

Wow what a great proposal. I would have never expected residential on the st James and portage sides of the mall...almost seems too good to be true! Bring it on.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 3:26 AM

Quote:
A... polo park?

But yes, this is the steroids version of what other major commercial centres are doing/talking about doing around Winnipeg: incorporating residential. And these residential projects would sell like hotcakes. Especially in St. James where there hasn't been very much new residential in decades.

St Matthews, Ellice, Century and Empress are all fully separated. It's really just St James St that isn't. The old stadium lot would tie into St Matthews. All the stuff on the west side of PP will have a problem.

Interestingly there is a 6.5' diameter combined sewer that runs north south through the centre of PP and down Tylehurst to the river, where it is pumped eastward through Wolseley and on to the treatment plant.

After the Ferry Rd Sewer District sewer separation finishes up in the next couple of years maybe the Polo Park area will be next.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This was always the plan, I think it was always envisioned that malls would become neighbourhood hubs. Plan Winnipeg back in the 80s called for that. Although I don't think it envisioned what is being proposed here with large-scale residential where the parking lots are now. I think it's fantastic and a really nice way to see what is essentially Winnipeg's true retail downtown continue to evolve.

I guess we can follow Richmond Centre's progress as a bit of a glimpse into Polo Park's future. That is also a Cadillac Fairview project. I would imagine work must be starting soon over there... I expected it to be under way last year when I visited but it didn't look like work had begun yet.
Richmond centre immediately came to mind. This is a great densification development and will do well in the area, black friday/xmas season in polo park will be insane

1.5 billion....wow!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 5:50 AM

Let's go! This is a good plan and it appears to have initial support from Gillingham. Once people in Winnipeg start to see the advantages of walkability projects like this will continue to thrive.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 7:39 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

between city infrastructure issues and the WAA this could stall

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan