HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 7:02 PM

I don't understand, will this be a new tower or a renovation of the current tower?

Sorry guys, I'm out to lunch on this project but it looks neat!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 7:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This project will be an extension of the existing TD tower. They're making the existing floors wider (the current building is very narrow and apparently difficult to lease out) and adding a few more floors to the top.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 7:57 PM
opinionated so and so

Having been in that building when Impact Communications used to have an office up there, it is a dump and a fire trap. Am I wrong, I thought the Heritage Advisory Committee of HRM approved the TD tower? The Trust has no leg to stand on...

I think that there is built heritage worth saving, and I don't think that everything should be turned into a facade like Founders Square, but this one just doesn't compute for me at all.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This project will be an extension of the existing TD tower. They're making the existing floors wider (the current building is very narrow and apparently difficult to lease out) and adding a few more floors to the top.

thanks for the info

looks good, hopefully this project bodes well for office space in Halifax in the future...I know the economy is doing very well out there

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 10:35 PM

Council approved alteration to the heritage building today.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 11:09 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Having been in that building when Impact Communications used to have an office up there, it is a dump and a fire trap. Am I wrong, I thought the Heritage Advisory Committee of HRM approved the TD tower? The Trust has no leg to stand on...

I think that there is built heritage worth saving, and I don't think that everything should be turned into a facade like Founders Square, but this one just doesn't compute for me at all.
The Heritage Advisory Committee doesn't approve towers. They approve/reject modifications to heritage properties. In this case it is the wholesale gutting of the Macara Barnstead building and restoration of the facade which they approved.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
The Heritage Advisory Committee doesn't approve towers. They approve/reject modifications to heritage properties. In this case it is the wholesale gutting of the Macara Barnstead building and restoration of the facade which they approved.
... ahem... they RECOMMENDED that council approve it... (sorry - couldn't resist jumping into the correction frenzy).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 10:37 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Was this the final hurtle? Is it now able to be started next Spring/Summer?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 11:03 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
... ahem... they RECOMMENDED that council approve it... (sorry - couldn't resist jumping into the correction frenzy).

Yes, they recommend approval/rejection for modifications to heritage properties as well as suggestions for changes to the proposed modifications and then that report is forwarded to council in an advisory capacity only.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 8:04 PM

I don't think it has been explicitly stated yet, but this was approved last night, well the demolition off the heritage building (the last obstacle) beside it was approved. And the Herald article said it wasn't a unanimous vote, but alluded that Dawn Sloane was one against it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I don't think it has been explicitly stated yet, but this was approved last night, well the demolition off the heritage building (the last obstacle) beside it was approved. And the Herald article said it wasn't a unanimous vote, but alluded that Dawn Sloane was one against it.
Of course she was. It is a downtown development proposal, so she is naturally opposed.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
"you are like (some sort of) cat with no teeth". That's pretty much the HT to a tee.
Chancellor Gowron to Commander Sisko in the DS9 episode where the Klingons invade Cardassia and then DS9!

Gowron: "You're like a toothless old Grishnar cat trying to frighten us with your roar."
Sisko: "I can assure you, this 'old cat' may not be as toothless as you think."

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 4:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Chancellor Gowron to Commander Sisko in the DS9 episode where the Klingons invade Cardassia and then DS9!

Gowron: "You're like a toothless old Grishnar cat trying to frighten us with your roar."
Sisko: "I can assure you, this 'old cat' may not be as toothless as you think."
Now if only we had five thousand photon torpedoes, as well.

And I hope this doesn't turn into a trek-off

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 1:01 AM

Good news, got passed. It will take about 6 months to get the plans done. Construction should start around next summer.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 3:01 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Nice. I think this one is pretty important since it's in such a key location. The improvements to the ground floor should really help. Right now this is sort of a subpar building.

The overarching problem with this stretch of Barrington currently is that there's so little along the street for a couple blocks. The Grand Parade and City Hall are effectively blank walls, as is Scotia Square. TD and CIBC are one entrance each to what's are basically two retail businesses. And even before then there's the empty lot across the street that surrounds the Dennis Building.

One proposal I saw a while back for the Capital District was to add a new stone staircase to the Grand Parade to open the square up a bit more to Barrington. That could be a great addition and is a simple improvement. A building on the empty Barrington and George lot would also be a huge improvement, but unfortunately that lot is publicly owned. If it is developed it will probably become dull provincial offices, in the best case with some sort of Access NS office or something because they don't want to be a landlord to retail businesses.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 1:42 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

It's so nice when Hfxtradesman makes a post. I can't remember any that were ever bad news..

I also agree on the staircase from parade square to Barrington. That would really help open that area. Access NS on Barrington St. I can hear the complaints. "there is no free parking", "there is no free parking" and "there is no parking" Other than that it would be a good central location. Bayers Lake is not.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Other than that it would be a good central location. Bayers Lake is not.

Hear hear! When I arrived in NS from Britain I had to get a local license to be able to drive a car and was told I'd have to get out there to get my license! I live downtown. There's like one bus that heads out there every second Thursday in months that have an 'r' in them (well, that's what it feels like). It should be called InAccess Nova Scotia.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 11:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifta View Post
It should be called InAccess Nova Scotia.
haha

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 4:06 AM

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the new renders...can't wait to see the finished product...hope it measures up.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 5:32 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I noticed we didn't have the height for this so I did a bit more research. There are some reports on this on the HRM website (not sure if they have been posted before):

http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/...entA-Plans.pdf
http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/...nformation.pdf

On page 14 of attachment A the maximum elevation on the roof, one corner of the elevator enclosure, is shown as 370.6 feet. The Granville Street elevation is 35.8 feet, which makes the height 334.8 feet or approximately 83 m. This makes perfect sense since it is frequently reported as the ramparts maximum.

The expanded TD Building will be approximately the same height as 1801 Hollis or the larger Purdy's Wharf tower, making it in a sense another "first class" office tower in Halifax. It will be great to have this plus the Fenwick renovations.

I've also amended the number of floors to 22 since that is the count above Granville (the official floor 1 in the plans is on Barrington).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth