HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 5:14 AM

Thanks for the photos Ark it's always nice to see St. George and the surrounding area. The downtown is so quaint, but then you also have to realize St. George had very little population until just recently so it never made that large a historic core. The 'colonial' type of architecture they keep using is getting old as well but I think that will change.

I agree with your analysis Scott. The city needs to play catch up. You don't want another Phoenix or Vegas. The city lacks in the high-end job area as well.

I've been keeping track of airport updates here: http://www.utahurbanforum.com/st-geo...-2011-t89.html

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Apr 18, 2010, 1:04 PM

Reservoir expected to spur Kanab growth
-
Water » Earthen dam will create a lake with recreation potential.

By Mark Havnes
The Salt Lake Tribune

Kanab » The southern Utah town of Kanab, known for its red sandstone cliffs and mesas is getting a lake.

About 200 residents and dignitaries gathered Friday at a ranch house in the city's outskirts and broke ground on an earthen dam that will create the Jackson Flat Reservoir.

The dam will create a reservoir that should take two years to fill and cover 232 acres.

Earth moving equipment is already in place to start work on the earthen dam to form the Jackson Flat Reservoir in Kanab ground was broken for Friday. Completion is schedulded for April 2011. (Mark Havnes / The Salt Lake Tribune)

"This is a historic day in Kanab," said Mike Noel, manager of the Kane County Water Conservancy District and a Republican state representative, who was joined at the event by Sen. Bob Bennett, R-Utah, and Utah Gov. Gary Herbert.

The conservancy district has been working for nearly a decade on the $12 million project, being built so farmers, ranchers and some residents will have adequate irrigation water year-round.

Water for the reservoir will be diverted from Kanab Creek and is owned by the conservancy district and Kanab Irrigation Co. The water currently is being piped into sprinkler systems that run low in summer months.

The water to be stored should allow other entities like the city or county to lease some water for parks, the cemetery, school grounds and golf course. Using the irrigation water will boost the amounts of available culinary water now being used for watering.

Noel said the water system will not rely on just gravity, but be pressurized to provide quantity and consistency all year. He also said there will likely be a recreation component to the reservoir that will allow boating and fishing. Recreation projects will be discussed by a citizens' group to decide what should be offered, he said.

Bennett told the audience that southern Utah water concerns often are secondary to those of northern Utah, but the new reservoir should help with growth in Kane County. Bennett helped bring more than $5 million to the project.

Herbert said in an arid state like Utah it is important to develop water responsibly. "If we do it right, then the desert will bloom," he said.

The water will allow growth in the area whose natural wonders already attract large numbers of people, he said.

He described the effort to build the reservoir as a model of what can be accomplished through cooperation of entities.

Kathy Pace, a 17-year resident of Kanab who attended Friday's event, said she was excited about having a body of fresh water in town.

Pace said she was thinking about moving to St. George because of the recreation opportunities offered by Sand Hollow Reservoir, but not any more.

"I'm a swimmer, and the recreational benefits here are going to be great now," she said.

mhavnes@sltrib.com

Jackson Flat Reservoir
Funding » The $12 million project is being paid for by Kane County Water Conservancy District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Utah State Division of Water Resources.

Size » 232 acres; to hold 4,228 acre feet of water and be fed by a pipeline from Kanab Creek.

Dam size » Earthen dam will have maximum height of 45 feet, and stretch 4,430 feet. It is planned to be complete April 19, 2011.

Use » For irrigation by members of Kanab irrigation Co., some county residents and governments who can lease water for watering public grounds.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2010, 4:09 PM

232 acres is a tiny lake, no? Deer Creek (which isn't huge) is 3000 acres.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2010, 4:12 PM

double post

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 5:47 PM

St. George Airport construction update:

(photo credits: www.sguconstruction.com)

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 5:27 AM

It's lookin good. Thanks for that post Skyguy

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 1:54 AM

Dixie studies bus-rapid transit

ST. GEORGE — Bus-rapid transit, buses that have dedicated lanes of traffic that allow them to travel faster than regular traffic, may eventually connect communities in Utah's Dixie...[article]

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 6:59 PM

Amangiri Resort

The exclusive, and hidden luxury Amangiri Reosrt in southern Utah was featured in this month's edition of Architectural Record. See the link below for full story:

http://archrecord.construction.com/p...rt/default.asp

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 7:03 PM

I'm not able to post the images. Can someone take a little time and post the images? They are very worth the trouble. Beautiful pics.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 8:00 PM

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 8:04 PM

I think that commoners like me can forget about ever being allowed to see the place in person. Their own website doesn't even provide an address or phone number. It is so exclusive that you have to register with them to get any information at all.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 10:57 PM

Thanks for posting those.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 11:35 PM

That's pretty cool. It's like an exclusive mountain log cabin ... but in the desert.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 8:06 PM

St. George new airport update. On schedule to open for flights in Jan or Feb. Photos from www.sguconstruction.com

Old Posted Jun 12, 2010, 1:56 AM

^^^^

Any word if any new airlines are interested in the new SGU yet?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2010, 2:52 AM

I realize that there currently just isn't anything else there to compare the size of the building to, but the new terminal looks more like a credit union than an airport.

Has the building been designed to grow over time with the addition of jetways, more terminal space, etc?

Also, how much of the Southern Parkway is open? Will it be finished to the airport by the time it opens?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2010, 6:15 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
I realize that there currently just isn't anything else there to compare the size of the building to, but the new terminal looks more like a credit union than an airport.

Has the building been designed to grow over time with the addition of jetways, more terminal space, etc?

Also, how much of the Southern Parkway is open? Will it be finished to the airport by the time it opens?

I still can't get over just how small this airport is. Don't get me wrong it's a nice looking building. I'm sure it's design for additions once the demand grows.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jun 12, 2010, 10:47 PM

You can get a good idea of scale by looking at some of the older pictures with people in them. It's a decent size, I've certainly never seen a credit union that large. I imagine it's quite a bit larger than the current airport, and I don't see why they would make it much larger with the current flights available. It'll probably be a pretty long time before demand requires the airport to be larger.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2010, 11:22 PM

The airport on Kawaii is small like that as well.. I don't think airports for smaller population centers need to be very large.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2010, 6:21 AM

While the terminal is indeed smaller than I would have like to seen. It is evident they have left plenty of room for future expansion. The new terminal will blow the current SGU terminal out of the water. But I still would have liked
them to have built a terminal which had jetways in place and would allow an easier expansion program to just build on new gates and areas as the airport expands. Nonetheless, this terminal is a huge upgrade from what the city has now. And like I said, there is room to grow! It is a big airport.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West