HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozero View Post
Any fellow Lower Lonsdale folks cast their eyes towards the inlet ? Can someone explain to me what the hee haw is going on with the ship parked in the middle ? For about a week a regular huge cargo ship has parked, this one though lacks a middle ! Then, just to make it stranger, two other ships have 'jumped' onto the cargo ship.

What the heck is going on ? How did those two other ships get onto the blue one ?

(my pic)

PS. I really hope the new building on 3rd gets a hair salon ! My goal is to have every single strand of hair on my head cut by a different hair salon from 3rd then down Lonsdale.
It's a semi-submersible heavy lift ship, apparently also called a flo/flo (float-on/float-off). They sink a little into the water and their loads are, well, floated on. I saw a Discovery Channel thing on these ships a while ago Is it still in the inlet? I wanna see!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 6:16 AM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
whats going on at the old gas station on 3rd and chesterfeild... is looks like there has been some excavation going on the past few days
Don't know, hopefully just remediation work. I'd be pissed if it were sold already. We've tried to buy that site a couple times over the last 2 years and keep getting told it's not for sale. Stupid Imperial Oil.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huenthar View Post
It's a semi-submersible heavy lift ship, apparently also called a flo/flo (float-on/float-off). They sink a little into the water and their loads are, well, floated on. I saw a Discovery Channel thing on these ships a while ago Is it still in the inlet? I wanna see!
Yup still there as of a few days ago. You should actually take the time to jump on the seabus to go right by it. As someone else mentioned in this thread its not just the 2 rusted out ships on the blue ship either, the rusted out ships themselves are carrying several other smaller boats ! Its Russian Matryoshka dolls, but with massive boats.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:25 PM
ON3P Skis

Rendering for Capstone

Source:Wikimapia

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:31 PM
See ya down under, mates

Concrete frame, right?

edit: answered my own question - yes

Last edited by Pinion; May 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 9:17 PM
See ya down under, mates

ANAVETS building on 3rd st looks move-in ready now. Some nice touches at ground level saved it from being painfully plain.

Photo by Pinion

Photo by Pinion

The vents don't look so prominent in person.

Alley side:

Photo from Intracorp Flickr

And Intracorp is already promoting the other massively wide private building. Should make Pinnacle Hotel at the Pier look skinny.

Photo from Intracorp Flickr

Last edited by Pinion; Jun 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 6:31 AM

Surely a conspiracy must be afoot. In between 1st and 2nd a fishing store closed last year. Its been leased. Coming soon ..... ready for it ..... a barber shop. Are these people opening these shops insane ? Does hair grow and 10x the national average in lower lonsdale ? How many fricken hair cutting places do we need ? And when does the nature too-many-rabbits the rabbits die off cycle happen, cuz we need a culling.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 6:45 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Concrete frame, right?

edit: answered my own question - yes
6 floors concrete. looks good

http://www.vancouver-real-estate-dir...pstone-condos/

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 4:25 PM
ON3P Skis

Article regarding retail activity (or lack thereof?) in Lower Lonsdale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Shore Outlook
Shop Talk in North Vancouver

BY SEAN KOLENKO and TODD COYNE
Staff Reporters

When North Vancouver’s Brad Hodson bought his Valley Estates U-brew business at Second Street and Lonsdale Avenue back in 2007, he says there was a buzz of excitement in the Lower Lonsdale business community.

Shop owners were pleased with the development planned for the neighbourhood. Towers meant more residents. More residents meant more shoppers. And more shoppers, naturally, meant more money for area businesses. The future looked promising.

And the turnaround of the waterfront, he says, was an added bonus. Hodson saw the former Shipyard precinct as a burgeoning North Shore version of Granville Island, the kind of thing people want to see, he says. The kind of thing people will travel to.

Unfortunately for Hodson, business never turned around. His struggles continued and he began looking to set up shop elsewhere.

New digs

Hodson lives near Lions Gate Hospital and on his commute to LoLo each day he would pass the sky-blue heritage building at 279 East 8th St. On one of those routine morning drives, he noticed the place was for sale. Interesting, he thought. So interesting, in fact, he bought the joint.

Since December 2010, Hodson has been the owner of the 100-year-old building and now runs his business from one of its two street-level retail units. He’s been busy since the move — taking over a century-old structure, with its two rental suites located on the second level, has piled a host of renovation duties on his plate — but things are already starting to turn around.

Since the move, Hodson says he’s seen a significant jump in new customers to his shop, and his mortgage payments on the building are less than his rent was on Lonsdale.

“I’ve seen a 150-per-cent increase in new customers since the move. It’s night and day,” Hodson says, plainly, while seated on the back steps of Valley Estates.

“At Second and Lonsdale, we were just waiting for it to pick up. And in the old place, I was paying $6,500 per month, taxes in. Here, I’m paying about $4,000, and I rent two apartments and the café.”

And while Hodson’s new bottom line was surely a driving force behind the relocation of his business, he says other factors contributed as well.

“Parking is a problem [in Lower Lonsdale]. And the hills, I don’t think people want to walk. It just isn’t that accessible. I think people would rather just go to the mall and find more accessible businesses,” he says.

Neighbour feels the pinch too

Like Hodson prior to his move, husband and wife team Darlene and David Straarup, who own La Lucy Thrift and Boutique at 225 Lonsdale Ave., are also struggling with the rising cost of doing business in Lower Lonsdale.

When they first opened their shop about two years ago, Darlene says the couple thought their rent, about $5,200 per month, was reasonable. And she, echoing Hodson’s sentiments, thought the neighbourhood was developing a good “vibe.”

But it wasn’t long before she received the first in a series of rent and property tax increases. Within six months of opening, the Straarup’s property tax was raised $200 per month. And to make matters worse, they had to pay retroactively, which cost them an added $1,500. About a year after that, their rent was raised $200.

At that point, she figured there wouldn’t be any more increases. She was wrong. In June, he property tax went up another $300 and, again, she was charged retroactively, costing her an additional $1,800 in back taxes. Rent on the shop, taxes included, is now $5,900.

“It’s killing us. Something has to give,” she says.

“Small business can’t pay that, they can’t keep it up.”

As a result, Darlene is looking for a new location — including way out in Fort Langley — once the lease is up in a year. She’s grown attached to her customers, she says, and feels many in the community really want to support independent business. But the cost has simply become too much.

“I love the people here and I still maintain the potential of the neighbourhood is amazing,” she says.

“But the rents will not support business. We know we’ll have to relocate.”

Moving in the right direction?

Despite the struggles and concerns of some past and present LoLo shop owners, Lonsdale Avenue remains the core shopping area of North Vancouver. It is the major transit corridor connecting the city and district of North Vancouver and it’s the precinct that will continue to absorb density. For instance, the Onni Group’s proposal for a large mixed-use development on the Safeway site at 13th Street and Lonsdale — while far from being approved and a few blocks north of LoLo — is a testament to what type of changes are still envisioned for the area.

What, then, is the trouble? Why the regular ‘For Lease’ signs?

According to Ross Forman and Jeff Pilkington, a real estate team specializing in commercial properties on the North Shore, the issue is threefold: rising rental costs, landlords with deep pockets and development outpacing interested tenants.

“Now you’re looking at $40 per square foot, plus $15 per square foot for your property tax, insurance and strata fess, if it is strata,” says Pilkington.

“Which means over time the cost of doing business has gone from $30 per square foot to $55.”

That increase, however, doesn’t mean there aren’t offers being placed on vacant properties. The former RDS store in Lower Lonsdale, for example, has sat empty for a year but has had a number of offers, Forman and Pilkington say. It’s just that some landlords look for specific partners and can take the financial hit of an empty space until they find them.

And, they add, the rate at which mixed-use developments are sprouting up can make it seem as if there is a problem in the commercial market.

“People see vacancy out there and they think the market is crashing,” says Forman.

“But it isn’t. It just takes a while to absorb all the development.”

In areas that don’t see much construction, such as Edgemont Village, Forman says, very few properties, if any, sit vacant for very long. And pockets of Lonsdale, in particular the 1300-1500 blocks, remain popular. Vacant spots there, Forman and Pilkington say, always “go quick.”

One drawback of development, however, is the higher rents it brings. When a small business is displaced to make room for a new development, Forman says, rarely will that business be able to afford the rates asked for in the new spaces.

“With new buildings, more space tends to hit the market all at once and mom and pops can’t go to new developments — that’s too expensive,” he says.

“But those [shops] can move into other vacants. The thing is, the market is still coming back after 2008 when we had a big crash. There still isn’t 100 per cent confidence, but it’s on the way up. It’s growing, still moving. It’s going in the right direction.”

The right fit

Of course, not all businesses are up and leaving the Lower Lonsdale corridor. Some are moving in. Just weeks ago, Vancouver-based canine boutique Bow Wow Haus made Lower Lonsdale its new home and so too did its owner, Chelsea Caines.

Fleeing the cramped quarters over town in the West End, Caines decided that when the time came to expand her business to the North Shore, she’d move house with it.

For the business’s fourth location, Caines chose the heart of Lower Lonsdale, just steps off the main drag at First Street.

And while she found her new retail home on a block that, as of July 6, had three empty street-level storefronts and several hundred square feet of vacant second-storey office space, Caines is confident she’s landed in the right neighbourhood to grow her business.

“We looked all over — Gastown, South Surrey, West Vancouver — and actually found better rent here,” Caines tells The Outlook, in an interview at her store’s new North Van address.

“I was living in the West End and residential rent is much cheaper here. Then someone gave me a dog who’s going to be big soon,” Caines says, nodding towards Dylan, a weeks-old black lab resting quietly in a corner of the shop.

“Life seems to be slower over here too — not so rushed, not so impersonal — and I really like that.”

That slow, personal touch is something her North Shore patrons seem to appreciate as well.

“We’re a business that does well with walk-by customers and people walk their dogs by here all the time,” Caines says. “We’re a boutique business so we were looking for a unique neighbourhood and one that; for one, had a lot of dogs in it and; two, was our demographic with other boutique businesses.”

Caines says that any worries she may have had about moving to a block pock-marked with ‘For Lease’ signs were quickly eased by the warm reception of not only her new customers, but other businesses as well.

“Some of the other local business owners have stopped by to welcome us to the neighbourhood and they’ve been here a few years so that was reassuring,” she says.

And when a large part of your business’s margins are made selling locally made organic dog treats, the LoLo neighbourhood has another competitive advantage — the Lonsdale Quay farmers’ market.

“That’s really helped a lot,” Caines says, adding it’s helped not only in sales but in getting the word out about the new location and the new services it offers like dog daycare and grooming.

“According to my expectations, we’re already doing a lot better than I thought we would,” Caines says. “I expected we’d rely on our services, but we’re already making more in our retail sales than I expected.”
Shop Talk in North Vancouver

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
Article regarding retail activity (or lack thereof?) in Lower Lonsdale.
As hard as it is for the mom and pop shops, I'd say there are signs of improvements in Lower Lonsdale. Increasing rents will bring more interesting retailers. Not to keep harping on this, but there is no way 3 city blocks should be able to support 10+ hair shops. All that speaks to is how insanely cheap the rent is.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozero View Post
As hard as it is for the mom and pop shops, I'd say there are signs of improvements in Lower Lonsdale. Increasing rents will bring more interesting retailers. Not to keep harping on this, but there is no way 3 city blocks should be able to support 10+ hair shops. All that speaks to is how insanely cheap the rent is.
Increasing rents will bring more interesting retailers??

The higher the rent, the higher the risk for a business. Therefore the retail space is more likely to go proven business models, such as chain shops, cafes and restaurants.

The independent retailers will be pushed out. An interesting and diverse shopping experience will eventually be replaced by sanitised monoculture!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 1:40 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorpnm View Post
The independent retailers will be pushed out. An interesting and diverse shopping experience will eventually be replaced by sanitised monoculture!
Have you been to Lower Lonsdale? Chain shops, cafes and restaurants would be a step up.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Increasing rents will bring more interesting retailers??

The higher the rent, the higher the risk for a business. Therefore the retail space is more likely to go proven business models, such as chain shops, cafes and restaurants.
Exactly. You have to prove your business model. So if you are hoping to open a business and see 10 of the same shops right next to you, you'll think about the economics of opening the business.

Quote:
Alright, I'm willing to open my mind. Explain to me how having 10+ hair salons and 4 nail salons is an interesting and diverse shopping experience.

Sushi Bella to me is the star of the slow shift thats happening to Lower Lonsdale. Its insanely busy in there, its "up the block" which shows people are willing to walk, and its literally the only place on a regular basis with crowds. They came in, built an interior that would fit in any quality street (instead of a mom and pop interior), serve quality food and bingo, line ups. Thats what the community has been waiting for. I'm not arguing this, the crowds are showing it.

I agree any main street now is a struggle. Digital has come by and simply wiped out what used to automatically fill in as an interesting slice of life. Bookstores, music stores, movie stores, all gone. Its a difficult balance. We need shops strong enough that will pull people out of their homes and want to gather. That requires investment. There are quality unique stores on Lonsdale. We just need more of them. Its almost a shame the theatre on Esplanade and 1st wasn't on Lonsdale. The constant flow of people in that area would added instant crowds. 1st and Lonsdale is currently doing a good job - bike store, computer gaming store, Opus arts, Moodyville diner, Waves Coffee. A great mix of local stores and chains. Up the hill and down 3rd needs improvement.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 11:33 PM
Reason and Freedom

If there was ever a street in Metro Vancouver that might benefit from a streetcar/tram, it's probably Londsdale. It could terminate right at the waterfront, drawing the tourists from Londsday Quay.

Last edited by Prometheus; Jul 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 12:01 AM
See ya down under, mates

When I moved here they were promising a street car and a third seabus. 7 years later... neither.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 12:43 AM

i'd like to see a roots store maybe a gravity pope store too

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 6:42 PM
See ya down under, mates

221 East 3rd has been named Orizon. Appropriate since it stretches across most of the earth's surface.

http://www.intracorp.ca/orizononthird/

That looks like the actual view from the south side of the building.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
If there was ever a street in Metro Vancouver that might benefit from a streetcar/tram, it's probably Londsdale. It could terminate right at the waterfront, drawing the tourists from Londsday Quay.

Many many decades ago, my Aunt Christine, as a girl, used to race the Lonsdale Streetcar on her horse. Bringing a streetcar back to Lonsdale would not only be a nifty, current-day attraction, but a reinstatement of "old times," if you will. That street once accomodated streetcars ... and I'm sure that it still can ... (even if my viewpoint is clouded by tears of sentimentality)

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 5:38 AM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
When I moved here they were promising a street car and a third seabus. 7 years later... neither.
The story of Lower Lonsdale is one of abysmal planning and unfulfilled promise.

I feel sorry for the new retailers and residents who sense that the area is changing for the better. The status quo always prevails in LoLo. Crappy infrastructure, no parks, litter-strewn streets, social problems, bankrupt businesses. The City has decimated Lonsdale Avenue by green lighting every crappy chain restaurant nearby on Esplanade: Tim Hortons, Boston Pizza, East Side Marios, and the list goes on and on. Meanwhile, the City has ignored 3rd Street and has turned it into a dumping ground. The whole area is experiencing a massive decline.

It's the same old story year after miserable year - so much potential, but it's never realized.

The City has done virtually nothing to support the mom-and-pop retailers on Lonsdale, and that's why we are stuck with a glut of For Lease signs. What a disgrace.

I reiterate to the moderators: Please, stick a fork in this thread. Lower Lonsdale is DEAD!

Nobody wants to live here, work here, shop here or visit here!
I myself am stuck here... but I'm resigned to going down with the ship.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 6:28 AM
See ya down under, mates

East 3rd is definitely still improving. There's still long term hope for the pier area. Between Chesterfield and Lonsdale is already very nice. The Low Level road improvements will greatly help the east side of town look more like a nice city than some industrial/rural area. Can't argue with the rest, but stfu about closing the thread already.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley