HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 1:50 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Ok. Dac I have a few question. Their off topic but I'll ask them anyways and I can erase them later on if you want.

What is it that you're studying again? Is it just real estate or real estate developer or land developer or what's the main thing? We're doing a college project and I want to be a real estate developer but I can't find much into on the internet. How many years do you have to take at a university? And do you know the yearly national median wage for real estate developers? I hope you can answer some questions because it wouldn't be a bad idea to become a real estate tycoon. Not like Trump though. H goes broke every 5 years or so.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 3:11 AM

bahhh,screw all that rich,money shit.

cant wait for an update!

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 6:19 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
What is it that you're studying again? Is it just real estate or real estate developer or land developer or what's the main thing? We're doing a college project and I want to be a real estate developer but I can't find much into on the internet. How many years do you have to take at a university? And do you know the yearly national median wage for real estate developers? I hope you can answer some questions because it wouldn't be a bad idea to become a real estate tycoon. Not like Trump though. H goes broke every 5 years or so.
Glad to answer these Alek, and glad to hear that you have an interest in developing. I wish more people did.

My major that I’m studying is Business Administration. Business Administration virtually covers all aspects of business from accounting to finance to being an effective CEO. You’re basically getting every aspect of the business world incorporated into one major. Traditionally speaking you get your Bachelors degree after four years of school. In my school, to obtain your masters, you’re looking at about another two years. So figure six years in total.

In college you can do a number of things to get involved with real estate:

1. Talk to people. Advertise your interest. Get yourself and your ambitions of real estate known. I did that and now I have virtually an entire executive board plus change of fellow classmates who want to embark on my risk and ambition. If you have any fear of public speaking, get rid of it. Abandon it. Trust me on that because public speaking will become a huge aspect of anything you want to pursue in both business and real estate.
2. Look for it. See if there are any groups within your college (clubs for lack of a better term) that revolve around your interest. Do your own research and build a plan (that’s what everyday of my life from the age of 14 to the summer before college consisted of). I’m still doing that on a daily basis. Go to your school’s career center and look for any job (internship) opportunities that revolve around real estate.
3. Real estate will be covered to a degree in your business classes. You’ll get a good sense of the industry if you look for the source of information. Where that is for the school you’re attending, I don’t know. You have to find it.

The main job title, I guess, would simply be a real estate developer. For someone like me who wants to own and run a company, yes, I’d still be a developer of real estate, but I’d also hold the positions of President, Chairman, & CEO. It all depends on whether or not you want to be an entrepreneur with real estate and start your own company. (That’s where the major in Business Administration comes into play).

Hmm, that’s surprising that you didn’t find any information about real estate development on the Internet. If you’re having trouble with that then see (as primitives as this may sound) if you can check books out of your library about real estate. I always got my information from the Internet, as well as company websites of Vornado, Brookfield Properties, Boston Properties, Extell Development Corp., Tishman Speyer, etc. I also read a few books on real estate investments, ‘The Art of the Deal’, etc.

Starting salary? The answer is as high as you can make it. It all depends on how well you do, how much you can bring into your company, and the level of development you specialize in. There are people like Trump and Wynn who are billionaires and then there is Mr. ‘Smith’ form small-town U.S.A. who develops suburban homes. It all varies.

I hope I helped you out a bit. If you have any more questions I’d be more than happy to answer.

(And don’t be so quick to put down Trump. He may not be what he used do (his involvement), but in his day he did some amazing work and made some amazing deals. As far as I’m concerned, he’s a very accomplished and successful developer who has a net worth of 3 billion dollars. Not bad in my book, but my goal is at least 10 billion. )

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 7:00 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Haha! 10 Billion? My company will sure beat you by at least twice that amount. Anyways, oh ok. That does help way more. Apparently Real Estate Developer isn't a class. But, I still have a few questions. I searched Business Administrator but it still doesn't tell me as much information as I want. I use a website called WOIS and it says to choose a sub-topic:
* Business Management and Administration Programs,
* Educational Administration,
* Marketing, Purchasing and Sales Programs,
* Public Administration,
* Transfer Programs.
Do I have to choose a sub-topic? Which one would be best to choose from the ones listed above.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 7:20 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Haha! 10 Billion? My company will sure beat you by at least twice that amount. Anyways, oh ok. That does help way more. Apparently Real Estate Developer isn't a class. But, I still have a few questions. I searched Business Administrator but it still doesn't tell me as much information as I want. I use a website called WOIS and it says to choose a sub-topic:
* Business Management and Administration Programs,
* Educational Administration,
* Marketing, Purchasing and Sales Programs,
* Public Administration,
* Transfer Programs.
Do I have to choose a sub-topic? Which one would be best to choose from the ones listed above.

Well 10 billion is just a minimum of my own personal net worth. My company will be worth a much larger amount than 10 billion (hopefully).

Well there is no job title that is ‘business administrator’. That’s just a college major. You can be on an administrative team for a corporation, or anything else, but that’s not a sole title. And no, there is no college course for real estate development, at least not in my school. Like I said, you have to do your own further research and network.

In college you will have a major and a sub-major. My major is of course Business Administration, and my sub major is Economics. BA will cover almost everything there is to know about the business world. I chose economics because it deals a lot with the mathematical side of the business world.

What you listed (business management, marketing, sales,) should all be included in Business Administration as your major. Everything else is not really relevant to your career intention.

If I were you, I’d see if the school you want to attend offers economics as a sub major and take that. If not, and what you listed is the only options they give you, you should choose business management/administration. But like I said, that should already be included in your major.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 2:50 AM

Congratulations on your internship, I thought you said you couldnt get there!
Dac so are you going for an MBA, that would explain the 6 years?

I began studying Ecnomics when I decided I wanted to be a developer not an architect. I used to imagine hotels and calculate profit, at least price per room, so I was more interested in the tipology as well as design.

Buildings are very much linked to finance so the career choices are economics or maybe law, but the point is to get an MBA.

Again if you have the money buy a runned down house, recycled it and sell it then you're technically a developer.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 4:08 AM

Well, good luck, hope you do start a multi-billion dollar company.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 4:06 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalextropy View Post
Congratulations on your internship, I thought you said you couldnt get there!
Dac so are you going for an MBA, that would explain the 6 years?

I began studying Ecnomics when I decided I wanted to be a developer not an architect. I used to imagine hotels and calculate profit, at least price per room, so I was more interested in the tipology as well as design.

Buildings are very much linked to finance so the career choices are economics or maybe law, but the point is to get an MBA.

Again if you have the money buy a runned down house, recycled it and sell it then you're technically a developer.
Thank you vertical. I couldn't get into Vornado. GS wa a little shady in the begining, but they worked out the best in the end. Yes, I'm going for my MBA, and will be starting my thrid year of college this coming fall.

I took economics in high school and always liked it. It was never my favorite subject, which is a bit ironic, but I liked learning about the markets and international business. I chose it as my sub-major because I thought I'd get a well rounded knowledge of business and finance. I also took a few 'business law' courses, and they were actually helpful.

I actually had a speaker come into my banking class in high school who talked about buying runned down homes and turning them around into profit. The idea of doing that crossed my mind at the time, but for what I want to do, that would probably apply to commerical office buildings. Take 3 Columbus Circle, or 1095 6th Avenue as an example.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 4:07 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilofSD View Post
Well, good luck, hope you do start a multi-billion dollar company.
Thank you. I too hope that.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Thank you vertical. I couldn't get into Vornado. GS wa a little shady in the begining, but they worked out the best in the end. Yes, I'm going for my MBA, and will be starting my thrid year of college this coming fall.

I took economics in high school and always liked it. It was never my favorite subject, which is a bit ironic, but I liked learning about the markets and international business. I chose it as my sub-major because I thought I'd get a well rounded knowledge of business and finance. I also took a few 'business law' courses, and they were actually helpful.

I actually had a speaker come into my banking class in high school who talked about buying runned down homes and turning them around into profit. The idea of doing that crossed my mind at the time, but for what I want to do, that would probably apply to commerical office buildings. Take 3 Columbus Circle, or 1095 6th Avenue as an example.
Yep, in my system I can't just chose what subjects to take, I have to select a degree from the beggining, which's made me lost quiet some time (I have a couple of years of international relations pretty much lost when I transitioned to Economics). So I plan on finishing my degree - (hopefully in another country), then working, then going for an MBA and sprawl the world with my Business Resorts (TM), and private designer cities.

I'd love to get some experience in New York, I just don't know how to do that yet. I love that city, I've stayed there twice in my early teens, then I flew over the city in August 2001. I've got some pretty cool pics of the WTC hanging on my wall i should scan.
Congrats again on getting into GS, I'm sure you'll learn a lot there.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 6:36 PM
World Machine

Quote:
I'd love to get some experience in New York, I just don't know how to do that yet. Congrats again on getting into GS, I'm sure you'll learn a lot there.
There is no better place on Earth than New York to get into real estate. (IMO) it's simply the greatest city in the world. Nothing comes close.

The key is networking. That's the only way you'll plug yourself in. You have to talk to the right people who know their stuff. New York is a very tough city in all aspects, especially real estate and business, so you have to be tough or you won't last.

Thanks vertical, I appreciate it. I'm really looking foward to starting. I should learn a lot from them.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 8:24 PM

I know what you mean. I could exploit some contacts if I have enough to back it up, so I'm concentrating on school right now.
Good luck!

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 9:09 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Good luck!
Same to you.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 3:15 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Oh, thanks Dac. Really helps.

So, updates this weekend right?

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 5:15 AM

Ok,If your gonna be a billionare,I want to ask you to do some things.

1. Buy some super high tech servers for SSP
2. Buy everyone here SU pro,3ds Max and new computers so we can model 300MG cities without lag
3. Buy me a condo in marina city,pay my bills,and get me a helicopter ride over chicago

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 5:38 AM

make your own heap!

it would be really cool to have a NASA supercomputer just to put all of our cities and buildings with extreme detail and millions of components forming an entire region.

Then we could run a F1 track and sell the megacity for a new version of Burn Out!

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 5:58 AM

nahh,if im ever a milionare,itll be because i won the lottery.

Do Architects make much? what about Aerospace Enginers?

lol,can aleks stick this in cityscape thread?

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 6:09 AM

i guess engineers make more. or pyrotechnicians.
if you wanna make money you gotta start your own company. you can't make a lot working for someone else - unless you do the ratrace thing.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 6:59 AM

haha,My dreamj ob would be to work with the Mythbusters Im alreaady a pyrothechnition Fireworks are banned from my city though

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 7:29 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Oh, thanks Dac. Really helps.

So, updates this weekend right?
No problem Alek, glad to help.

We'll see what Monday brings. Today and tomorrow I'm busy. I'm so out of sketch-up as a whole. I hardly check the threads anymore, which is a shame because there are so many good cities.

I'm glad though that the sketch-up forum is getting more popular. It seems that there are more fourmers coming and cities being made than ever. That's what we wanted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup