HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 6:32 AM

So excited for this project. When it's all said and done, this new development, Park Place/Ave/Blvd/Hwy/Cres/etc. and 3 Civic Plaza will be an amazing transformation.

I'm particularly pleased that it's more office space, since a downtown core can't survive without commercial and office. Hopefully this will give people more reason to come into Central City, and not just to sleep either.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 9:02 PM

Well put Cory, Surrey Centre will certainly look amazing once the King George Centre and 3 Civic Plaza are up and ready. I especially look forward to small businesses filling in the gaps as the larger projects pan out. The downtown core will not be complete until there are cafés, bistros, alternative music shops and all the funky stores and service providers that will add to the texture to the downtown core.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 9:55 PM
(daka_x)

I'm personally hugely disappointed with the plan-out of King George Station and the surrounding developments. It would have made for a great Plaza 88-type hub fully integrated with the SkyTrain Station, and the wider portions of the platform would seem to suggest that it was indeed built for such an integration. Instead, the station has been distanced from all of the development, and there was no attempt at integration. It certainly would seem to back up Mayor Watts' erroneous 2011 claims of SkyTrain's "splitting communities" when about 10 minutes down the line in New Westminster is a place I visit near daily precisely because of the outstanding SkyTrain integration.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 10:09 PM

The lack of integration may have to do with an LRT RoW separating the SkyTrain Station from the development.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 10:15 PM
(daka_x)

^ Still could have integrated that. But, anyway, the free space does keep the area open for potential extra SkyTrain tracks and platforms.

I'm also talking about Park Place, though.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 11:49 PM

There's still the opportunity for the retail at Park Place to be redeveloped, I suppose. It's smaller than originally proposed.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 12:15 AM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
I'm personally hugely disappointed with the plan-out of King George Station and the surrounding developments. It would have made for a great Plaza 88-type hub fully integrated with the SkyTrain Station, and the wider portions of the platform would seem to suggest that it was indeed built for such an integration. Instead, the station has been distanced from all of the development, and there was no attempt at integration. It certainly would seem to back up Mayor Watts' erroneous 2011 claims of SkyTrain's "splitting communities" when about 10 minutes down the line in New Westminster is a place I visit near daily precisely because of the outstanding SkyTrain integration.
Have to agree, part of the benefits of plaza 88 is that it feels more enclosed from the elements and more secure from aggressive panhandlers. We want people in the suburbs to alter their perception regarding public transportation (skytrain in this case), and I feel this redevelopment does nothing to remedy any concerns.

Also some food for thought. I sometimes opt to buy some misc groceries (jug of milk/anything on special) from Safeway during my evening commute (I live in Surrey). It is more convenient to make my purchases at the location in New Westminster than at Surrey Central.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 3:22 AM
Traveller Extraodinaire

I disagree. There are advantages to not wrapping a station in retail like Plaza 88. Keeping it open can promote street life or, as noted above, the possibility of LRT at street level. The area definitely needs more street life, not to mention the area South of the station and north of the currently under construction Coast Capital Savings HQ will be taken up be a new street. I will agree though that the retail at Infinity/Park Place is very disjointed and leaves much to be desired. Hopefully this development will be better implemented.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 6:03 AM

They couldn't have integrated it. The property the Skytrain sits on isn't part of the property PCI is constructing on. They don't own it. It's like you wanting to build an addition to your house that hooks up to your neighbor's house. Without your neighbor working with you, you can want to do as much as you want it just isn't going to happen.

I'm not sure how willing Translink would have been to work with PCI group to integrate the station into something. I'm sure it was actually discussed at some point but it would be difficult given Concord owns the property on the other side, just completed a brand new building up to the edge of their property line, and the maximum you could do is integrate the South side and leave the North exposed.

If either Concord or PCI owned both sides then in the past maybe something could have been done. But I kind of agree. I like the idea of the development in New West but the development in New West itself doesn't really have much atmosphere and at street level it's kind of like a giant box so while I do like the look and feel, even it could have been done better.

At the end they will have a bit more flexibility and also remember that the Concord second floor facing SkyTrain that is being used right now fully to sell Park Avenue will most likely after the Coast Capital building is complete, be leased out to shops which will give you a more open street feel. And it's correct, the plan is to have an LRT station there so making it more a transit hub.

If there is a station that could use some integration with development, it is probably Surrey Central station itself but I still don't think you'll see that.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 6:12 AM

Quote:
^ Still could have integrated that. But, anyway, the free space does keep the area open for potential extra SkyTrain tracks and platforms.

I'm also talking about Park Place, though.
The Park Place retail was much larger in the past but Concord scaled it back because of lack of demand. People on these forums jump up and down constantly about how Surrey needs more shops, but getting new shops isn't as easy as just building more spaces. You have to actually have businesses willing to move in and lease/buy the space. You also need to have a good assortment of shops or else you get full spaces with 5 hair salons, 2 nail shops, a smoke shop/grocery store, and fast food joint which isn't really ideal for building "atmosphere."

Surrey still has a ways to go to build a walking community mentality. You're fighting car culture which was forced on all Surrey citizens for the past 30 years and is difficult to break. In time it will come and is starting to.

And let's face it, New Westminster has had a walkable community for decades really and is the oldest city in Metro Vancouver by a long shot and only JUST got an integrated development around a Sky Train station 20+ years after Sky Train first rumbled by New Westminster station.

We can't put unrealistic expectations on Surrey Central unfortunately.

Children don't go from baby to adult over night. There's the good ol' toddler, child, and teenager in between.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 7:09 AM

Plaza 88 does not have the direct competition of a mall like Surrey Central Stn and King George Stn would have. Just curious, is Plaza 88 doing well? I checked it out a few times when it first opened but I don't ever view it as a destination.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
Plaza 88 does not have the direct competition of a mall like Surrey Central Stn and King George Stn would have. Just curious, is Plaza 88 doing well? I checked it out a few times when it first opened but I don't ever view it as a destination.
Looks ok and obviously still maturing. But the Landmark theater which is fantastic by the way ($10 a movie/$13 3D/empty/all assigned seating) must be hemorrhaging money like no tomorrow even though I am sure they have a sweetheart deal for their lease. They really need to better market that theater.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
The Park Place retail was much larger in the past but Concord scaled it back because of lack of demand. People on these forums jump up and down constantly about how Surrey needs more shops, but getting new shops isn't as easy as just building more spaces. You have to actually have businesses willing to move in and lease/buy the space. You also need to have a good assortment of shops or else you get full spaces with 5 hair salons, 2 nail shops, a smoke shop/grocery store, and fast food joint which isn't really ideal for building "atmosphere."
Also worth noting that Plaza 88 is still quite empty, from a retail perspective. Other than some major players (Starbucks, Fresh Slice, Safeway), I'm not sure some of the businesses that are there are going to make it.

It's also worth noting that many tower developments even in downtown Vancouver have retail spaces that remain empty long after the tower has filled with residents. It takes months and years for a community to develop. However many now have successful retail components, it just took time to develop, and the foresight to build those retail elements into the design (I'm assuming this was a city requirement at the time of design).

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Looks ok and obviously still maturing. But the Landmark theater which is fantastic by the way ($10 a movie/$13 3D/empty/all assigned seating) must be hemorrhaging money like no tomorrow even though I am sure they have a sweetheart deal for their lease. They really need to better market that theater.
That theater is the best part of the project only because living at King George station in Surrey Central my wife and I had 2 choices for watching a movie. Jump in our car and drive to Strawberry Hill or jump in our car and drive to Guildford. The B-Line has made it easier for Guildford but the theater is still a good walk from where the B-line drops you on 104th and quite frankly I think it takes less time for us now to jump SkyTrain and go to the Landmark.

And assigned seating... YES PLEASE. All theaters should do that.

A side note that Phase B of this King George project is supposed to include a theater like Landmark in it which will add a lot of people imo to the walking area.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Also worth noting that Plaza 88 is still quite empty, from a retail perspective. Other than some major players (Starbucks, Fresh Slice, Safeway), I'm not sure some of the businesses that are there are going to make it.

It's also worth noting that many tower developments even in downtown Vancouver have retail spaces that remain empty long after the tower has filled with residents. It takes months and years for a community to develop. However many now have successful retail components, it just took time to develop, and the foresight to build those retail elements into the design (I'm assuming this was a city requirement at the time of design).
Well part foresight and part deep pockets able to sit on expensive empty space and eat the property taxes and costs associated with maintenance for many years. Concord has deep pockets so can sit on the retail space to get the right tenants in them.

Not many developers have such deep pockets though so when they go to build a site, if they can't fill the retail within 6 months, they simply don't build the retail. That's why a lot of new buildings even in downtown Vancouver don't actually have any retail at all.

There just aren't that many developers able to sit on large amounts of empty space.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:08 AM

^^^^ Oh I agree. It's not an easy choice. But when people complain later on, they don't understand the history.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 8:05 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
They couldn't have integrated it. The property the Skytrain sits on isn't part of the property PCI is constructing on. They don't own it. It's like you wanting to build an addition to your house that hooks up to your neighbor's house. Without your neighbor working with you, you can want to do as much as you want it just isn't going to happen.
Well, there are now three places in the region (two of them stations) where new developments have been built directly over SkyTrain infrastructure. I'm sad that neither PCI nor the City of Surrey had enough energy to make integration certain.
Quote:
I disagree. There are advantages to not wrapping a station in retail like Plaza 88. Keeping it open can promote street life or, as noted above, the possibility of LRT at street level.
Well, as jhausner noted above, that's not really a problem of the fact that Plaza 88 is so integrated with SkyTrain - but also has to do with the exterior design, which on a different design for this area could of course be remedied.

Quote:
And let's face it, New Westminster has had a walkable community for decades really and is the oldest city in Metro Vancouver by a long shot and only JUST got an integrated development around a Sky Train station 20+ years after Sky Train first rumbled by New Westminster station.

Children don't go from baby to adult over night. There's the good ol' toddler, child, and teenager in between.
I must note the irony.

Of course the market won't respond right away and so we can expect to sometimes have to wait 20 years for things to happen... but Plaza 88 was both an overnight change in spite of you saying that those don't happen, AND the right kind of change for the area. While Plaza 88 is one development, it has certainly had a big impact on the attitude of the area to visitors and developers. The lot next to Plaza 88 is now slated for a residential high-rise development, and that office/rec centre across the street is getting closer to complete.

Plaza 88 has attracted visitors for its ridiculous on-SkyTrain convenience, I think we can all agree. Whether that's good for the on-street activity in the area or not for now, the matter of the fact is that it has caused the popularity of the area to grow sharply - that is triggering more developments, residential growth, etc. in this area. That essentially creates the guarantee that on-street activity will eventually increase sharply. As Plaza 88's popularity grows, so will its businesses and the amount of - and I think that we can anticipate that at some point, spaces in Plaza 88 itself will run out. Where next then? On-street retail spots, whether at existing or future developments.

The question is, could it have been done any other way - and based on the history surrounding the New West Station area, I personally don't think so. I think that's the question we also need to be asking for this King George Station area - is this proposal going to actually get it done?

By get it done, I mean that I'm seeing people here (@Blease, @CoryHolmes) posting that they expect this to encourage a revolution in the area (just before I did) in terms of creating that walkable-community attitude and development, but I think that there's no reason we should actually expect it to have that sort of big impact. Park Place has certainly brought more residents to the area to bring local support; but, apart from that, until we get more developments for any other reason, like today most people will just be passing through. There's no actual, distinct reason for them to go out of their way and stop - less so, actually come here on purpose (esp. with Surrey Central Mall already being established and large). There's no single unique business that drives popularity to the area, and there's no incentive for such a business to really succeed (thus want to come) like what Plaza 88 has: extreme convenience. It'd be worse if Surrey/TransLink does go with a slower BRT/LRT service for the South of Fraser, as businesses would have to accept and contend with lower transit demand than SkyTrain, and the fact that people might not actually have the time to stop, as doing so would come with a large time penalty on top of an already large time penalty over the popular alternative. Moreover, for any commuters still crossing the river, I can see many of them holding out on this particular area and choosing New West Station for a stop instead.

I'm just saying - I think you guys are expecting too much by thinking that CC HQ will revolutionize the area. I think it was a seriously missed opportunity to bring that revolution.

Last edited by xd_1771; Nov 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:16 AM

I'm glad the station wasn't integrated. I would much prefer a well-done transit plaza with retail around it than some enclosed concrete bunker like New Westminster Station.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 2:02 AM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
By get it done, I mean that I'm seeing people here (@Blease, @CoryHolmes) posting that they expect this to encourage a revolution in the area (just before I did) in terms of creating that walkable-community attitude and development, but I think that there's no reason we should actually expect it to have that sort of big impact. Park Place has certainly brought more residents to the area to bring local support; but, apart from that, until we get more developments for any other reason, like today most people will just be passing through. There's no actual, distinct reason for them to go out of their way and stop - less so, actually come here on purpose (esp. with Surrey Central Mall already being established and large). There's no single unique business that drives popularity to the area, and there's no incentive for such a business to really succeed (thus want to come) like what Plaza 88 has: extreme convenience. It'd be worse if Surrey/TransLink does go with a slower BRT/LRT service for the South of Fraser, as businesses would have to accept and contend with lower transit demand than SkyTrain, and the fact that people might not actually have the time to stop, as doing so would come with a large time penalty on top of an already large time penalty over the popular alternative. Moreover, for any commuters still crossing the river, I can see many of them holding out on this particular area and choosing New West Station for a stop instead.

I'm just saying - I think you guys are expecting too much by thinking that CC HQ will revolutionize the area. I think it was a seriously missed opportunity to bring that revolution.
I completely agree here about the lack of a draw to the area. But this is a problem that most suburban cities have. You have to draw in, but also create culture. Entertainment, dining and the arts are severely lacking in the area. Hopefully with the huge amount of investment going on by all levels of government coupled with the influx of people moving into the area with each new development will change that.

As for the Coast Capital HQ, it will do more than you think. It does bring jobs to the area. However, I think the most important thing is that is brings a visible change to the area. This is an area needs a revamp badly. The real potential catalyst will be the still under construction city hall, the completed library, 3 Civic Plaza and the plaza itself.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 3:10 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
I would much prefer a well-done transit plaza with retail around it than some enclosed concrete bunker like New Westminster Station.
You mean like the one sort of already coming up one station away?? (And, again, the "enclosed bunker" feel of a New West Station-style development could of course be fixed in a different development design)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley