HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 6:28 PM

Seems rather unconnected to the surrounding area / Jasper Ave & LRT, no? 107 st at Jasper needs to be integrated into the park IMO as the formal "entrance". Is the idea to eventually rope-in the properties at 106st and 102 ave?

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 7:41 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
or maybe its just what it is.
So turning a bunch of gravel parking lots into a large park is a bad thing for Downtown?

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 8:29 PM
Change is good

It's a nice plaza. It's a good thing. However, Is it needed? Is there much better use for the money?

I'd also wish I was one of those gravel parking lot owners. Seems like we are rewarding them for keeping that shit that way for decades.

We also have the largest continuous park space in North America just a few blocks away...

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 9:21 PM

Most of the River Valley in the downtown area is a golf course or developed or has a giant road on it, is a 45 degree river bank, or ocvered in brush and trees.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 9:40 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
It's a nice plaza. It's a good thing. However, Is it needed? Is there much better use for the money?

I'd also wish I was one of those gravel parking lot owners. Seems like we are rewarding them for keeping that shit that way for decades.

We also have the largest continuous park space in North America just a few blocks away...
I haven't heard someone arguing against creating new formal park space on here, but I guess there is a first time for everything. Considering the amount of high density residential proposed and under construction adjacent to the park space, I think developers like the idea.

As for funding, it's being funded through the Downtown CRL, which is to be used for improvements Downtown, so this is 100% in line with projects that it should be funding.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 9:49 PM
Community Guy

Bingo.

Great cities have generous green space for its residents outside their front door or within a block or so, period.

This will be another step forward towards a more mature urban core that responds better to more people and inherently will become more desirable to more over time.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 2:10 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 3:07 AM

Nice concept. Looks like there won’t be any fountains, small waking bridges, or small water feature.
What’s the plan for security for this park? Hopefully this park won’t ultimately end up as a homeless camp?

Last edited by JSS1974; May 4, 2022 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 3:44 AM

We need the Warehouse Park, full stop. Lord knows how many more decades these gravel parking lots will continue to exist. I just wish it included that parking lot west of BP.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 8:18 AM

I really dont get the edges of this park. Why didnt they just take the entire block? Why are the properties along 102 ave and jasper ave not a part of it, and instead awkward spill over across 107 street?

Alley access will be along some of the parks edges for servicing those remaining properties and facing the backs/sides of those buildings. Seems weird and compromised/haphazard.

Also what comes of those vacant lots along jasper, west of BPs? Once the park is operational, i imagine any high rise proposal on those lots will be nimby'd because it will cast shadows on the park? Or is the plan for low rise there?

I really like the idea of a large park, but it already seems poorly executed. Calgary's downtown parks occupy the full block and have nice street edges where the entire park is visible from the perimeter. Safer and nicer.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
We need the Warehouse Park, full stop. Lord knows how many more decades these gravel parking lots will continue to exist. I just wish it included that parking lot west of BP.
I'm guessing the BP's lot and BP's itself are asking for an astronomical price for everything. And I can't blame the city for not wanting to pay for it, if that is indeed the case.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 2:07 PM
Change is good

How much did they pay for all those other properties? It wasn't cheap either.

42$ Million is what we are being told before the project gets started. Like anything this city does, expect that price tag to balloon before we get closer.

We can't even keep beaverhills park a place where people want to go because of methheads element, so what's another park 1 block away going to do better?

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 7:19 PM

Need more on the beat police presence in downtown and around this area, otherwise this proposed park won't be much of a success. No peace officers, and social workers. Cops required

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS1974 View Post
Need more on the beat police presence in downtown and around this area, otherwise this proposed park won't be much of a success. No peace officers, and social workers. Cops required
Agree entirely. A police presence 24/7 is required - possibly adjacent office next to the prominently located toilets.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:
How much did they pay for all those other properties? It wasn't cheap either.

42$ Million is what we are being told before the project gets started. Like anything this city does, expect that price tag to balloon before we get closer.

We can't even keep beaverhills park a place where people want to go because of methheads element, so what's another park 1 block away going to do better?
Its 7 million per parking lot 3 years ago.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 7:10 PM
Change is good

the devil will be in the details. If the park can generate more demand in the area, as it already seems to be, then it's for the net good. I'd like to see more money being spent in the general upkeep of things we have. Perhaps some of the CRL could be put forth to more maintenance and cleaning (in the CRL area) beyond regularly city-budgeted amounts.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 6:36 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 9:15 PM
Community Guy

According to Avenuer on SRC:

Full-court basketball or 3 individual hoops for pick-up games ('hard surface sport amenity').

Playground.

Ornamental four-season water feature (versus flower bed option)

Fitness area.

Sledding mound on open lawn that will create natural amphiteatre.

Off-leash dog zone

Park pavilion with washrooms and potential outdoor fireplace.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:48 PM

^ This very is impressive. I hope maintenance and security are kept up.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 10:33 PM
Community Guy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton