HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 10:04 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

$0.38 / minute plus GST

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 10:25 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
$0.38 / minute plus GST
So basically $0.40 a minute - 2 people commuting to downtown from let's say McKnight and Centre Street north would maybe spend 25 minutes in traffic during rush hour (might be less) = $10.00 which would be more than twice as expensive as the two of them buying monthly transit passes @ $94 each ($94 divided by 21 working days divided by 2 trips a day = $2.24 x 2 people = $4.48 for a one way trip for 2 people on transit using monthly passes)

Now a 15 minute commute = $6.00 which still isn't break even and so it comes down more to a case of balancing cost versus convenience as the car2go may get you there quicker than transit.

So what's the appeal as I haven't used car2go and it just wouldn't figure into my current lifestyle as I don't work downtown. yeah, my home is in the home zone just south of McKnight but seeing as I don't use transit anymore and my two of my three kids either take transit or longboard to the U of C while the other just walks to senior high school, car2go doesn't help us out in any way. But I do see them parked in my community - not during the day but during the evening/night/early morning so one can assume they're being used in a commuter sense.

So how are people using, in what fashion - I'm curious. If you're single, live alone and need to get groceries, I can see them being a viable alternative to a taxi or transit. What else?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 11:25 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

This is my take with Car2Go, which I use sometimes: I find on average it's double the cost of transit, and maybe 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a taxi, for the sorts of distances I tend to travel. Heading down Centre I wouldn't bother, since the #3 is the best service bus route in the city, but in situations where you need to transfer from one bus route to another a car2go can be very useful, for example maybe paying $6 for a 15 min trip instead of a 45 min bus trip. I also find I almost never take a taxi anymore. So in a nutshell, I use it to replace inconvenient transit trips and taxi trips. Direct route transit trips are less likely to be replaced with a car2go.

A specific scenario: When I go to work I have 3 options a) 2 route bus - ~45-50 mins incl 5 min buffer so I don't miss the bus, ~$1.60 with a monthly pass b) Car2go, ~15-20 mins (including walking to car2go time), $5, c) Taxi 15-25 mins (including wait time), $16-17 incl tip.

If I was heading straight downtown though, the bus would win as the bus time would be about 20 mins, car2go would be about 15 mins (including time to get car2go and time to find parking) and double the cost.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:33 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I wouldn't compare it to transit; I was more curious how it compares to a $20-30 daily parking charge.

ie: if I'm gonna drive downtown anyway (ignore the rush-hour headaches for a second), is it any cheaper than using my own car (ignoring gas/wear-tear).

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:49 PM

I don't use car2go regularly but find it to be a good second car for my wife and I. We live near Westbrook so most of the time we just take the train into downtown but when we stay late for dinner and don't feel like waiting for the train and taking the 10 min walk to our house it is nice, especially if the wife is in heels. I also find it great if you are working downtown and need to get around for appointments but don't want to pay for parking for the whole day. Another reason I have used it is to zip home at lunch if I forgot something. I think it comes down to convenience and it isn't a full substitute for transit but it is definitely a good competitor for cabs.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 8:41 PM

When Car2Go first started, I could take one to work for about $.25 cheaper than the bus. However, I live so close to downtown, I should really walk, but I need a vehicle during the day.

I even got approval to expense my Car2Go cost, but the service has gotten so popular it is tough finding a vehicle in the morning, not to mention at the end of day.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 4:56 AM
Realtor

I was just in San Diego and it was neat seeing the Car 2 Go working well down there. They use electric smart cars in that city.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 10:16 PM
Here and There

I just use these things out of convenience, they are great that way. We always walk everywhere when we go out but sometimes if we walk by one, we will use it. I also use it sometimes when I have a downtown meeting and want to swing back to the beltline quickly. There always seems to be one around when I need one. They are everywhere.

I wouldnt mind if they had dedicated people who made sure that there were at least 20 downtown at all times!

I really have no complaints for how I use them.

I also find their customer service staff to be quite amazing and understanding of many things......

I think I was one of the first people to sign up.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 5:37 PM

Quote:
We are very excited to announce that car2go Calgary has partnered with Park2Go Value Valet! We have teamed up with Park2Go Value Valet to offer six designated car2go parking stalls at their location at 2121 100 Avenue NE. Service begins November 4th, 2013.

Each time you start or end a trip at Park2Go Value Valet there will be an additional $10 charge. The charges will be billed separately to your car2go account on Mondays.
http://www.smarttouchcrm.com/smartto...70133197513842

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 11:34 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Another increase in Car2Go rates starting Monday:

$0.41/min

$14.99/hr

$84.99/day

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 5:38 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Anyone had any success with them the past couple of days? I was wondering if there were a lot of dead batteries.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 7:48 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Anyone had any success with them the past couple of days? I was wondering if there were a lot of dead batteries.
I haven't tried in the last few days, but my past experience with Car2Go in extreme cold weather (below -20C) was that the touch-screens were unresponsive and it was quite an ordeal just to get the rental started. This mostly happened after the vehicle had been sitting overnight.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:53 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Does anyone know why Car2Go vehicles get ticketed for parking in parkplus zones around Eau Claire? The CPA heavily tickets Car2Go in the blocks around Centennial Place and Eau Claire Tower, and I'm not clear on why. I thought Car2Go could park in any parkplus zone as long as it was legal.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:19 PM

On 10th Ave they get ticketed a lot because there are exclusion times when there is no parking. That might be the case there, but I am not too familiar with the street parking in that area.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:22 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster3 View Post
On 10th Ave they get ticketed a lot because there are exclusion times when there is no parking. That might be the case there, but I am not too familiar with the street parking in that area.
In this case, they are parked in a legal manner according to the signs. I tend to see this around 1-2 PM along 2nd and 3rd ave SW, between 4th and 6th ST..

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:47 PM

Could be a new patrol, or he recently transferred within the zone. I parked a c2g in front of my home recently (where a pass is req'd) and the guy came running up to me asking to see my parking pass or I would get a ticket. I had to explain to him the rules, and he said he had only been in the inner city patrol for a week and wasn't made aware of the rules. He also said he had given a whole line up of c2g's tickets that day and were likely legally parked... Scratched his head and left me alone!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
In this case, they are parked in a legal manner according to the signs. I tend to see this around 1-2 PM along 2nd and 3rd ave SW, between 4th and 6th ST..
I was told that the cars could park for free in the park plus zones but only for the 2 hour limit.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
So basically $0.40 a minute - 2 people commuting to downtown from let's say McKnight and Centre Street north would maybe spend 25 minutes in traffic during rush hour (might be less) = $10.00 which would be more than twice as expensive as the two of them buying monthly transit passes @ $94 each ($94 divided by 21 working days divided by 2 trips a day = $2.24 x 2 people = $4.48 for a one way trip for 2 people on transit using monthly passes)

Now a 15 minute commute = $6.00 which still isn't break even and so it comes down more to a case of balancing cost versus convenience as the car2go may get you there quicker than transit.

So what's the appeal as I haven't used car2go and it just wouldn't figure into my current lifestyle as I don't work downtown. yeah, my home is in the home zone just south of McKnight but seeing as I don't use transit anymore and my two of my three kids either take transit or longboard to the U of C while the other just walks to senior high school, car2go doesn't help us out in any way. But I do see them parked in my community - not during the day but during the evening/night/early morning so one can assume they're being used in a commuter sense.

So how are people using, in what fashion - I'm curious. If you're single, live alone and need to get groceries, I can see them being a viable alternative to a taxi or transit. What else?
I occasionally work quite late. I take a car2go home if I will be leaving work after the last bus (around 12:30 AM). I've also used it when I'm buying things too heavy to carry easily on transit, but too small to rent a truck (ie: holiday groceries, when I bought a new desktop, some countertop appliances).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
I occasionally work quite late. I take a car2go home if I will be leaving work after the last bus (around 12:30 AM). I've also used it when I'm buying things too heavy to carry easily on transit, but too small to rent a truck (ie: holiday groceries, when I bought a new desktop, some countertop appliances).
I am a huge proponent of car2go. At first I thought it was more of a novelty but after a year it has completely changed the way I think about getting around.

It creates the idea of a one-way journey such as walking along the river or a few neighbourhoods away on a saturday and being able to call it a day and get back much quicker if something comes up. Before I would have to plan where I was going and turn back earlier

Being able to park on-street is also hugely beneficial; most drivers can't seem to park efficiently with large cars on downtown streets. At least not tight enough that there isn't a bit of room for a car2go somewhere very close by to your destination. User fees cover the parking so there is no thought about that, just get out and walk away. Muuucch easier to find a spot than when I am with my own car which is a bit bigger. It really does make a difference have such a tiny vehicle.

Because you can book them on your phone so you can guarantee one is there for you and see them on a map you can plan a route. The occasional glitch aside, it is reliable and guarantees you a way to your destination.

Lastly, the bar night. All of a sudden you can go to an event and decide there if you want to have a few drinks, not beforehand. Often events and parties turn out to be more or less fun than I expected before I arrived which changes my preference to have a few drinks. Rather than coming back the next day to pick up my actual car in a limited 2-hour parking zone that will get me a parking ticket if I don't get there by 8am, I can leave the car2go and take a taxi/train home. No need to hold out begrudgingly because I have to get my own car back home.

Alternatively if the party ends up lame and I want to go home early, the car2go gives that option.

It's real value for me is the spontaneity that it offers. All of a sudden there is a way for me to get to a medium distance location in the inner city at a weird out at the last minute and not worry about parking or much else. In an emergency or a thunderstorm while out walking, I have a way to remedy the situation where nothing could do that before.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 10:59 PM
Master and Commander

And the 15 dollar or so fees to park at the airport whenever i am going on a trip is a bonus too. 10 bucks plus about 5 bucks for commuting time on deerfoot.
The airport shuttle is about the same amount and it still has its place as an alternate if there are no car2go's available.

In a nutshell, this service is awesome!! I even took it to golden once and after a few complaints, they changed the daily mileage limit, at least on the weekends though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure