HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
So the entire tower is going to be cheapo precast concrete and brick panels?!?

Edit:
Rimap scares me now. The first two towers (Moxy Marriot/AC Marriot) are pale reflections of their renders. This does not bode well for the new tallest tower in downtown, the Marriott Renaissance. We've all been hoping it will match up to Releve, but I have serious doubts.

Strange, because they build some really high quality hotels in Montreal.
100%. I am terrified that they will screw it up. A blight on the skyline for decades to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Can't they just copy-paste the Releve ones? Literally install the same materials and even use the same guys to install them!
But that would cost money. They can for sure cheap out on the glass and balcony railings. They can also find a cheap replacement for the white panels. The rounded corners (that are not actually round but still look so) could be value engineered by putting fewer panels around that corner, creating a 8-bit look.

What I'm sayin is, don't worry, they can find a way to screw up M+M's design if they want.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:50 AM

Taken May 16, 2024,
They've started installing the grey precast panel. Looks promising, I like it

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:22 PM

This one will be very interesting. Still not sure which way it will go, herrendous or tolerable. At least it will be different from anything else in the Market.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This one will be very interesting. Still not sure which way it will go, herrendous or tolerable. At least it will be different from anything else in the Market.
Had the same thought. I wonder if having a high end rental will see police actually police the area. It's easier to ignore a bunch of condo owners who chose to live there than a company that could struggle to fill the place without some changes.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 12:06 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

The new panels look pretty smart compared to the ones installed previously. The amount of perforations to ventilation seems to stand out amongst the already mediocre panels. It's getting better at least. The shift to glass on the upper end should be pretty non offensive as well.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 9:57 PM

Taken June 8th from the glass corner of Simons!

From that angle its like Andaz doesnt exist

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 5:32 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

You also get the one slightly redeeming wall of the AC Marriot!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 11:35 PM

View of the Moxy project from the corner of Laurier and Waller St at OttawaU

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:42 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
View of the Moxy project from the corner of Laurier and Waller St at OttawaU
Having just recently walked along that MUP for the first time this year I was pleasantly surprised to see that gap filled.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 1:01 PM

Glad to see the Moxy in that view instead of that AC Marriott.

Funny how once open we will have 3 Marriott branded hotels within a few blocks of each other (AC, Moxy and Courtyard). Ideally they'd ditch the Courtyard and sell it once the other 2 open (its such a large prime central lot begging for redevelopment) although I understand its target customer is quite different than the other 2.

I'm surprised we don't have other popular hotel chains around this end of the city of Byward Market (Hilton, Best Western, Radisson, etc). Have we gotten any news on which hotel brand should occupy part of Claridge Royale?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I'm surprised we don't have other popular hotel chains around this end of the city of Byward Market (Hilton, Best Western, Radisson, etc). Have we gotten any news on which hotel brand should occupy part of Claridge Royale?
There is no longer any hotel component to the Claridge Royale project

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 3:11 PM

Terrasses de la Chaudière as bad example Precast Panel system

The trouble with this thin Brick on Precast Panel system, particularly in our harsh season climate is that moisture can get in behind the thing Brick face piece and freeze and thaw cycle can/will eventually make the thin face piece spall and fall off as ice expands and contract winter month daily temperature changes. One only has to look across the Ottawa River to Terrasses de la Chaudière where the same precast panel with thin brick face system was used and a few decades later the brick face pieces started falling of due to moisture behind the thin face pieces.

After a decade or more of scaffolding surrounding Terrasses de la Chaudière protecting sidewalk below, they are now recladding all three tower buildings...!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 9:32 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Is that even brick? I thought it was just red tinted concrete? (Considering this is a drop-in precast panel, and they're quite thin)

Edit:

Or is it this:

This makes me worried for the future. Essentially absorptive tile just waiting to have water/freeze thaw/falling off. And how is it repaired??
That is an older system that is not a reflection of the Moxy Project. I oversaw a project for Canada Bank Note which was exactly this process as the pictures show. The Moxy precast panel are simply a face mold but it is poured monolithically as one panel so the freeze thaw is a non issue with these ones.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 9:34 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonLlama View Post
Can anyone explain why some of the brick has more of a white cast than others? Is it just lazy grout clean up or is this temporary/part of the design?
A simple wash after all panels are installed will be done. The supplier crapped the bed failing to prewash all of the panels prior to delivery.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 9:41 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
So the entire tower is going to be cheapo precast concrete and brick panels?!?

Edit:
Rimap scares me now. The first two towers (Moxy Marriot/AC Marriot) are pale reflections of their renders. This does not bode well for the new tallest tower in downtown, the Marriott Renaissance. We've all been hoping it will match up to Releve, but I have serious doubts.

Strange, because they build some really high quality hotels in Montreal.
Don't worry, the Renaissance will be similar to Releve, but will have a few distinct features which is good since we won't have exact triplets. It will be a close match, sort of like an adopted third child in addition to the twins. However, don't hold your breath for a Landmark Rideau/King Edward Project from Rimap. That one will be an underwhelming project unfortunately.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Taken June 8th from the glass corner of Simons!

From that angle its like Andaz doesnt exist

It’s great that the city has refreshed some downtown streets lately - Rideau, Queen, Slater/Albert - but holy, plant some friggin’ trees!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Don't worry, the Renaissance will be similar to Releve, but will have a few distinct features which is good since we won't have exact triplets. It will be a close match, sort of like an adopted third child in addition to the twins. However, don't hold your breath for a Landmark Rideau/King Edward Project from Rimap. That one will be an underwhelming project unfortunately.
Makes me feel it bit better, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
It’s great that the city has refreshed some downtown streets lately - Rideau, Queen, Slater/Albert - but holy, plant some friggin’ trees!
It's like they've given up on planting trees. Not like we need it to combat the heat island effect, right?

Anyway, from urbottawa on Skyrise. The real brick for the Major Building.

https://skyrisecities.com/forum/thre...3#post-2102397

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 8:17 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

[QUOTE=OTSkyline;10225572]Glad to see the Moxy in that view instead of that AC Marriott. Funny how once open we will have 3 Marriott branded hotels within a few blocks of each other (AC, Moxy and Courtyard). Ideally they'd ditch the Courtyard and sell it once the other 2 open (its such a large prime central lot begging for redevelopment) although I understand its target customer is quite different than the other 2.

Marriott Courtyard in the market is a brand operated independently as a brand just like they are only lodging brands for the AC & Moxy. Basically their name & operational guidelines are attached to them but that's it. Those two will be operated by Rimap Hospitality.

There will also be three Marriott branded hotels within 3 blocks downtown once the Renaissance is completed just as long as the Marriott on Kent & Queen does not change brands with the new purchaser of that property.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa