HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 7:27 PM

Also in re: the ACC expansion -- movement has been very very slow, and the current thinking of my leadership is that they'll take up discussion again in the New Year. Whether that means anything really moves forward remains to be seen. The hospitality community is unanimously behind it, but everyone's been surprised by the animosity towards the ACC and Visit Austin that certain council members have shown in the last few months.

So we're in limbo, honestly -- and time is ticking by. Assuming that the project would take, say, four years from council approval to completion, we won't have additional space till at least 2022. That's tragic. Especially when you consider how many rooms in that area will be added between now and then (1600 between Fairmont and Marriott alone) without more convention space to support them.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
There's a lot of good info concerning this project in the backup file for the next Design Commission meeting. It'll be open to the street like the JW.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=277353
I'm confused about this one. The site is only one quarter block at most, but all these renderings show a bigger site. There is no way the section with the pool deck will fit on the lot. Will this just be a tower?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 12:13 AM
Meh

I'm pretty sure it's the whole half block since the Christian Science Book store was demoed. I'm only wondering about that last building on the corner at San Jacinto center I thought that one was staying.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Especially when you consider how many rooms in that area will be added between now and then (1600 between Fairmont and Marriott alone) without more convention space to support them.
I would not call this tragic at all. I am a huge proponent of the convention center expansion but I don't think that considerations to huge hotels should motivate anyone in supporting that plan. That just gives credence to the people that say convention centers are a never-ending cycle of a push to build hotels and then a push to expand the convention halls over and over without benefit to the community.

Quote:
Also in re: the ACC expansion -- movement has been very very slow, and the current thinking of my leadership is that they'll take up discussion again in the New Year. Whether that means anything really moves forward remains to be seen. The hospitality community is unanimously behind it, but everyone's been surprised by the animosity towards the ACC and Visit Austin that certain council members have shown in the last few months.

So we're in limbo, honestly -- and time is ticking by. Assuming that the project would take, say, four years from council approval to completion, we won't have additional space till at least 2022. That's tragic.
The council will take the issue back up when the city staff comes back with their analysis on the mayor's downtown puzzle. The Monitor said that study is suppose to come in this week but I think that's just the homelessness assessment. Whenever it comes in, it'll likely result in more deliberations and more requests of city staff to research some other bullshit to delay the process further.

The council needs to grow a pair and vote AGAINST the expansion instead of just finding new ways to delay the process. Put their names on paper that say they are against the project.They would rather keep the issue under the radar by finding new reasons to go back to city staff. They even wanted the city staff to regularly update them while they were doing their new round of research into the "downtown puzzle" so they can keep steering the city in the right direction of however they explained it.

This is the problem when you have a council elected in a strong economy with low unemployment. They don't care about maintaining and growing the economy. They only care about curbing development because those were the issues facing their constitutes. This is how you steer yourself toward another recession.

Last edited by freerover; Dec 11, 2017 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 7:32 PM

Interesting... They are spreading gravel rock across the site? Anyone know why?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Interesting... They are spreading gravel rock across the site? Anyone know why?
They are also unrolling some material that appears to be a barrier between the dirt and gravel. It looks like erosion control. But this project has four underground levels, so maybe it's not yet ready to start? I'm also wondering why they are trenching along the edge of the site?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
They are also unrolling some material that appears to be a barrier between the dirt and gravel. It looks like erosion control. But this project has four underground levels, so maybe it's not yet ready to start? I'm also wondering why they are trenching along the edge of the site?
It appears today that there starting utility work. Laying pipes. A good sign that this project has already started.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:30 PM

That's good to know. I feel like last I checked they were going to have 3 basement levels of parking -- so I would've expected some serious digging as the next step.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
That's good to know. I feel like last I checked they were going to have 3 basement levels of parking -- so I would've expected some serious digging as the next step.
Say what you want about the design of new hotels in Austin, but at least they don't need 8 floors of parking....

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:46 PM

They are moving dirt right now.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 6:57 PM

Cement was poured this morning. I don't know why a large slab would be poured before excavation for the underground levels starts. Imgur is having issues with photo uploads at the moment. But the slab can be seen from the webcam:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/tournee/AustinMarriott

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Cement was poured this morning. I don't know why a large slab would be poured before excavation for the underground levels starts. Imgur is having issues with photo uploads at the moment. But the slab can be seen from the webcam:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/tournee/AustinMarriott
I was wondering that this morning while walking past it. Why are they pouring concrete in only about 1/4th of the land, right in the middle, without doing anything about the underground levels?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 9:49 PM

I saw this project from my room in the JW and have to say, damn the lot is small. Seeing the finished project in person will be neat! They packed a ton of features and amenities into it.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
I was wondering that this morning while walking past it. Why are they pouring concrete in only about 1/4th of the land, right in the middle, without doing anything about the underground levels?
It might be temporary support for a crane or other construction equipment.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 12:40 AM

I don't understand the slab on site now. It must be a base for a crane or something. Does anyone know if the whole site will be underground parking or only a portion?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
I don't understand the slab on site now. It must be a base for a crane or something. Does anyone know if the whole site will be underground parking or only a portion?
I looked up the site plan and its 4 floors below grade. So this concrete pad is a mystery to me. Seems like part of it on the east is where the elevator core is but the elevators go down too.

Maybe its a pad for equipment on top that will use buckets to dig out the site rather than have trucks go down into the hole?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
I looked up the site plan and its 4 floors below grade. So this concrete pad is a mystery to me. Seems like part of it on the east is where the elevator core is but the elevators go down too.

Maybe its a pad for equipment on top that will use buckets to dig out the site rather than have trucks go down into the hole?
Thats what I was thinking. No telling though. Seems like an effort to pour and remove a slab, but maybe it's a better way. The slab does look ideal for a crawler crane or large excavator though.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 12:41 AM
World Traveler

Didn't we have a guy who spoke into the engineering and construction process of Fairmont on occasion a while back? Where is he at? Surely he could offer some insight into the slab.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:27 AM
Love Austin

As I understand it they are installing a diaphragm wall around the perimeter first. Won't start digging for a couple of months. This will be a fun addition to the area and to our city.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:13 AM

diaphragm wall - constructed using a narrow trench excavated in ground and supported by an engineered fluid (typically a bentonite mud) until the mud is replaced by the permanent material. Generally diaphragm walls are made from reinforced concrete, though unreinforced walls can also be used.
http://www.pilingcontractors.com.au/...iaphragm-walls

http://www.railsystem.net/diaphragm-wall-construction/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin