HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 8:26 PM

^ I think that is Mondrian or Northshore - I'm not sure which.

--don

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 10:14 PM
Desert Urbanite

^The building that is nearly done is Mondrian. There is a tower crane up, and that is for I believe the Onyx Tower, at 245 feet, 23 stories. Northshore will be adjacent to it.

Sean, you pretty much have all the cranes down for Tempe, tower and boom cranes. I drove to work today and took the Mill Ave. route across Town Lake, and I was amazed at all the cranes dotting the skyline.

-Andrew

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 7:41 AM

(from the opposite side as the rendering)

Mondrian- as you requested

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 11:27 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^I've been Googling and cant find a page for the Mondrian. Perhaps because its 430AM, but am I missing it? I wanted to check out floorplans/pricing.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 5:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam
^I've been Googling and cant find a page for the Mondrian. Perhaps because its 430AM, but am I missing it? I wanted to check out floorplans/pricing.
I'd NEVER buy in there. 100% wood construction... that just means your upstairs neighbors are going to keep you up every tim they take a step.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 5:48 PM

haha or a bigger problem...if someone's kitchen accidentally caught on fire while cooking...the whole place would collapse

those are pretty ugly condos....complete box...interesting coloring too....

how much are they going for?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 6:09 PM

Any Updates On The Taller Towers Around Mill Ave? Centerpoint Or The One Between Myrtle And College On University?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 8:57 AM

Demand for hotel rooms in Tempe brings building boom
Katie Nelson
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 4, 2006

Business travelers and tourists alike flocked to Tempe last year. As a result, hotel occupancy rates were some of the highest in the Valley.

New hotels are being proposed with just about every new downtown development, and it's prompting analysts to wonder: Can Tempe support the industry's growth?

The answer is yes, according to a study conducted by an Annapolis, Md., company and paid for by Tempe.

Yet the report also cautions that the number of rooms available in Tempe can expand only so far. The report said three hotel projects that are already rolling take up much of the space between "keeping up with demand" and "market saturation" - even though an additional nine hotels could be on the way.

Experts have continually pointed out that although the city is successful at attracting many out-of-towners through its extensive repertoire of events, it also fails to provide them places to spend the night. The result is lucrative bed tax and tourism dollars oozing into Phoenix and Scottsdale.

Nine new hotels that are proposed or are a possibility around Tempe's core could stop the bleed-out, according to the study. But even more likely to help are the three hotel projects already lined up, which include Hayden Ferry Lakeside, an expanded Tempe Mission Palms and Rio East.

Next week, Hayden Ferry Lakeside is expected to announce the hotelier that will take up residence in its posh master-planned project on the south bank of Tempe Town Lake, according to project manager Randy Levin.

The Tempe Mission Palms is planning an expansion that would increase the number of rooms by more than 60 percent, according to Chris Kenney, the hotel's director of marketing.

And the Pier 202 project that would go on the Rio East site by the eastern part of Town Lake intends to include an upscale hotel.

"The construction of these three projects will absorb 52 to 80 percent of the additional demand," the report says. "However, these projects will add to the segment of the Tempe hotel market that is currently underbuilt."

There are 47 hotels and motels in Tempe, with 5,371 rooms. The majority of those are smaller hotels and economy motels concentrated around Arizona State University. More than 80 percent of Tempe's hotel room rates are less than $150 a night, according to the study.

That proves there is ample room for upscale options, some say.

"It (high-rate hotels) means more tax dollars coming into the city," said Michael Martin, executive vice president of the Tempe Convention & Visitors Bureau. "And typically that type of rate will bring visitors with a higher disposable income."

Tempe officials will use the study to guide development as it grows, said Chris Messer, a principal planner for the city. It's the second hotel study the city has done in three years; the other was conducted in 2004.

"It's not an exact science to see what's out there and what's needed," Messer said. "Hotels are one of those difficult things to develop, so it's odd that a lot of the big projects almost always mention hotels. Apparently, (this study shows) there is a market for them, but no one has been able to put one together yet."

Old Posted Aug 6, 2006, 10:54 AM
Skyriser

Mondrian approaches completion ...

while the Onyx tower rises slowly from the ground:

--

I am pleased to announce that after selling my Nikon D50 earlier this year I am the proud owner of a Canon Digital Rebel 300d, which can be upgraded to have the features of the much more expensive 10d through a third party firmware. Just have the kit lens for now but upgrades are in progress.

Last edited by combusean; Aug 6, 2006 at 11:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2006, 2:15 PM

^ Congrats.

Some tips on your photos:

What are those spots on your images? They almost look like water spots on the lens. In addition, you may need to get the sensor cleaned (Tempe Camera on University will do it for $30 on your model).

Also, you should not be using your onboard flash for architectural shots. It doesn't have nearly the reach. If you don't have a tripod, get one and use a longer exposure setting.

--don

Old Posted Aug 7, 2006, 9:02 PM
zzzzzzzz

Hi guys. I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster. I'm just wondering if anyone has confirmed that the tower crane shown in that picture is for the Onyx building. For some reason it doesn't seem like a very substantial crane as far as tower cranes go... I'm thinking it may be for the Northshore condos (5 stories) on the "Playa del Norte" development. http://www.tempe.gov/lake/Developmen..._del_Norte.htm

Old Posted Aug 7, 2006, 11:14 PM
Skyriser

^ Tower cranes are usually assembled pretty short to begin with. As the building grows and is able to support the additional height and weight, the crane is jacked up to go ever higher.

As previous articles have mentioned, Onyx was to replace a restaraunt pad, which I am almost certain is "Lot 3" on the Playa del Norte site plan. I think the crane is too tall with too short a boom to construct the Northshore project.

EDIT:

After speaking with Nancy Ryan, Rio Salado Manager, I might actually be wrong about this one as it's possible Onyx isn't far enough in the permitting process. She said (but wasn't sure) that the crane was for a project around 8 stories which is a bit bigger than Northshore. Who knows anymore? I called a couple other people and got voicemails--I will post more information as I find out.

Last edited by combusean; Aug 7, 2006 at 11:36 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 9:44 PM

those renderings of the Mondrian are rather unattractive....

anyone know when the approved faa centerpoint towers 1 and 2 are breaking ground, the 30 story ones?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 10:37 PM

Hayden Ferry lands international luxury hotel

European hotel chain Le Meridien is headed to Hayden Ferry Lakeside in Tempe with an expected check-in date of November 2008.

Tuesday's announcement, was made in conjunction with parent company Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc.

Le Meridien Senior Vice President Eva Ziegler said the hotel will be chic, subtle, sophisticated, understated and elegant. "We're about the forward-looking, contemporary style of Europe/France," Ziegler said.

The 183-room, 14-story hotel will include 44 residential units on top of the property with access to Le Meridien amenities.

A joint venture between Valhalla Development Corp., Sierra Hospitality and Adobe Development Partners, the hotel will be operated by APMC. Bent Severin Design, which has designed Westin Tokyo, Sheraton Bahrain and Sherton Warsaw, will join with hotel architects Callison Group of Seattle on the project.

Ziegler said "passion points" for Le Meridien developments are fashion, art, architecture and food. The chain strives for quality and professionalism, he said. "We want to grow our footprint ... in the North American market. We desire the creative guest. The open-minded, forward-looking person who enjoys life."

SunCor Development Co. Hayden Ferry Lakeside is a $160 million, 17-acre, 1.95 million-square-foot master-planned, mixed-use project on the south shore of Tempe Town Lake.

Currently, an eight-story, 209,000-square-foot Class A office building anchored by Smith Barney, and the eight-story, 40-unit condominium Edgewater at Hayden Ferry Lakeside are up and in use. Another office building and the Bridgeview condo project are under way. Two additional condo towers, designed to give the illusion of cruise ships, are planned.

SunCor President and Chief Executive Steven A. Betts said a hotel has been planned at the site from the beginning, pointing out its proximity to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, freeways and various attractions. "We really are the geographic center of the Valley."

The hotel, he said, "is giving Hayden Ferry an international flair." The city's desire for a world-class hotel has long been known. Hayden Ferry received about two dozen, unsolicited hotel proposals. "They were nice, but not quite nice enough ... they didn't have the international flavor and quality we wanted," Betts said.

Earnest money, agreements with the hotel franchise, the developer, management and proper entitlements were in place before the announcement was made Tuesday, said Margaret E. Kirch, SunCor executive vice president for commercial development.

Arizona Office of Tourism Director Margie Emmermann said the hotel fits the state's new brand image: "Inspiring unforgettable Southwest moments."

Le Meridien, she said, allows the state to better compete not only within in the United States, but in the international marketplace. "It gives us enhanced bragging rights," she said. "Visitors want new experiences and great experiences."

Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman, who returned to Tempe Aug. 6 after a trip to Russia, called the hotel a "global hitter," adding it marks Tempe and the region a "truly cosmopolitan and global player."

Tempe Councilman Mark Mitchell said the hotel "is a vital component to bringing people to Tempe who might not come otherwise."

Mitchell said Tempe has embraced the new and improved Phoenix Convention Center and sees itself as a regional partner in convention business. "We complement each other. They can do breakout sessions here and vice versa."

Ziegler said she was especially excited by the Tempe site because it is not a conversion and offers a chance for the developer and Le Meridien to define a "flagship" together.

Le Meridien was founded by Air France in 1972 and was acquired by Starwood last November. Starwood also owns The Phoencian, Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa and the soon-to-open W Scottsdale and W Phoenix. Le Meridien has more than 120 properties in 52 countries. Other U.S. hotel locations include Los Angeles, Florida, San Francisco and New York.

Anyone know more details about this hotel? From what I can see, its pretty famous in Europe.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 4:11 AM

There is a pic of the hotel on http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...uncor0809.html it looks very nice i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek05
European hotel chain Le Meridien is headed to Hayden Ferry Lakeside in Tempe with an expected check-in date of November 2008.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 6:41 AM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
^Ah, damn, I saw it today and was shocked to see the second tower crane go up for the 30 story Phase 2 of Centerpoint. On Tuesday, it wasn't there, only a boom crane. Wow, they go up FAST! MY bad, hehehe.
I was pretty surprised to see the 2nd one, too... considering the fact that the first one has been up for like 6 months and they're still not even at ground level. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but it seems like it is taking a really long time. I just want to see them build a few stories and raise that mofo up to 240' or so!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 8:44 AM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azndragon837
For those who live in the Orchid House nearby, with their concerns about their views: hello people, you live in a growing, thriving urban city. EXPECT tall buildings to be built around you.
THANK YOU. I have this same thought every time I hear some idiot whining about how a 75-ft "high-rise" being planned in his neighborhood will ruin his mountain views. Especially in a downtown area like this one.

Quote:
One sticking point remains for University Square and Centerpoint. The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating whether the buildings would be a hazard to flights departing from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
Ok, so is the second tower crane that's up at the Centerpoint site actually for the first 30-story tower? Are they just building it and "to hell with the FAA"? Or, if the FAA comes back and says 343-ft is a hazard, is the City of Tempe going to stop the construction (assuming that that is the 30-story tower they've started)? I know Tempe has basically said "Phoenix can't tell us what building heights to approve and what to deny," but wouldn't we have heard something in the paper if Tempe had said "the FAA said it's a hazard but we don't care, we're going to allow it"?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 11:10 PM

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeridien/index.html

Starwood's upscale and luxury brands continue to capture market share from competitors by aggressively cultivating new customers while maintaining loyalty among the world’s most active travelers. A Starwood property is an excellent choice for this location.

Quote:
Le Méridien (luxury and upscale full-service hotels and resorts) is a European brand with a French accent. Each of its hotels, whether city, airport or resort has a distinctive character driven by its individuality and the Le Méridien brand values. With its underlying passion for food, art and style and its classic yet stylish design, Le Méridien offers a unique experience at some of the world's top travel destinations.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 5:01 AM

Eh, it could be better. I think the final product will look better than that rendering.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 10:36 AM

I think it looks awesome-

Matches the Suncor building's theme well....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest