HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 11:27 PM

Starting to make an impression

Went by The Link today and was surprised by how enormous it looked. Turned south onto 3rd St from McDowell and it just dominates the view. Up to 22 floors now, including platforms, so 9 more to go. It is going to transform the immediate area when it is topped out.

Also surprised by how dense it feels nearby with students everywhere. There is an urban vibe in that area that I haven’t experienced in Phoenix before. Very encouraging! If Towers 2/3 get built, the complex will establish sort of a new northern boundary for downtown with lots of opportunity for infill.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifice View Post
Went by The Link today and was surprised by how enormous it looked. Turned south onto 3rd St from McDowell and it just dominates the view. Up to 22 floors now, including platforms, so 9 more to go. It is going to transform the immediate area when it is topped out.

Also surprised by how dense it feels nearby with students everywhere. There is an urban vibe in that area that I haven’t experienced in Phoenix before. Very encouraging! If Towers 2/3 get built, the complex will establish sort of a new northern boundary for downtown with lots of opportunity for infill.
If only they demolish that walled off fortresss across the street from the Link! That will continue to be a scar in the downtown fabric.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 5:40 PM

It looks like they began installing glass last night on the lower residential levels.

https://ueb.net/webcam34.html

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
It looks like they began installing glass last night on the lower residential levels.

So was the green color a complete lie? Is this going to be grey and grey like the Banner patient tower?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
So was the green color a complete lie? Is this going to be grey and grey like the Banner patient tower?
if you look at the renderings, the green facade only applies to garage levels

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 7:10 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
If only they demolish that walled off fortresss across the street from the Link! That will continue to be a scar in the downtown fabric.
I'd give the Met 5 - 10 years in a good economy.

From https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/20.../home/27101498 ...

- They bought it recently for $6.2 million an acre which isn't significantly beyond the value of the land.

- The $200,000 a year they pay in taxes seems a lot for a 140 unit complex, especially when it could be redeveloped with a GPLET.

- It's 22 years old give or take which is still young but up there. It will begin to need major renovations (replacement of AC units, pipes, etc) and this building is horrendously energy inefficient anyways according to Yelp reviews.

- The met has no longer a high-end appeal, I remember Suns players used to live there. I wonder if the flood of units will push down rents, accelerating its demise.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 7:15 PM
Modulator

Will put a cropped pic of the rendering just since it's been a while. The green is only on the garage as airo stated.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Will put a cropped pic of the rendering just since it's been a while. The green is only on the garage as airo stated.

Thanks for refreshing my memory. I wish there were a few green accents on the way up the tower. Oh well.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 7:23 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
- The met has no longer a high-end appeal, I remember Suns players used to live there. I wonder if the flood of units will push down rents, accelerating its demise.
One could only hope. Just in the 6 years I have been in Phoenix, the Met has gone from an intriguing place to live for me to a complete eyesore as I walk by it. Maybe not an eyesore in the sense of rundown. But as in it has completely outlived it's usefulness and no longer fits in the area. The sidewalk bordering the East along 3rd is barely walkable and you have to literally walk off the sidewalk when passing other pedestrians. The entire block needs redeveloped. Let's hope that 5 years is max.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I'd give the Met 5 - 10 years in a good economy.

From https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/20.../home/27101498 ...

- They bought it recently for $6.2 million an acre which isn't significantly beyond the value of the land.

- The $200,000 a year they pay in taxes seems a lot for a 140 unit complex, especially when it could be redeveloped with a GPLET.

- It's 22 years old give or take which is still young but up there. It will begin to need major renovations (replacement of AC units, pipes, etc) and this building is horrendously energy inefficient anyways according to Yelp reviews.

The only thing I will lament in the replacement of the Met is the mature trees which have had 20+ years to establish roots and flourish. Downtown still lacks a canopy in many parts and these mature trees will be turned to dust instead of finding a new home (if it’s even possible to move them.)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 8:56 PM

So will we still get the green? Do they paint it or wrap it or????

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:52 AM

These models are a bit more detailed and look a little different from the original rendering. I agree we need more green hints here and there for a complete and unique look for Phoenix.

Last edited by michael85225; Sep 26, 2018 at 7:01 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 6:39 PM

Glass is going up on the north side. It looks good.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:51 PM
Modulator

I don't see any green at all in the above renderings...not even around the garage.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I don't see any green at all in the above renderings...not even around the garage.
Yea, that is really unfortunate.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 6:43 PM

Not to beat a dead horse....but anyone know if they are going to add the green to the garage? Maybe they add the green cladding afterwards? Is that how they do it if they do...... or do they add it as it goes up and we are not getting any?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Not to beat a dead horse....but anyone know if they are going to add the green to the garage? Maybe they add the green cladding afterwards? Is that how they do it if they do...... or do they add it as it goes up and we are not getting any?
It will get added. It might not be as bright as the renderings, but yes there will be green.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 9:24 PM

The camera was lowered to provide a better angle. You can now see the top of the crane.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
The camera was lowered to provide a better angle. You can now see the top of the crane.
I noticed that too, but I'm not sure that was necessary. It was nice seeing the entire tower from street level on up.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 9:47 PM
Modulator

Man, you guys are quick! I thought I was the only one that stared at the construction cams all day??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest