HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 6:56 PM

Seems like I am always somewhere between M1EK and Kohmet on the Mueller threads (I do think Mueller has been very disappointing in a lot of ways compared to what it could have been but I also think it is still one of the most appealing neighborhoods in Austin to me as an urbanist...). Having said that, in this case I generally agree with Austin Contrarian and M1EK. This is a suburban HEB. It's a nice HEB, and has a number of 'green' features, but the same can be said of the one at Escarpment and Davis that serves Oak Hill and Circle C.

Here's a truly urban grocery store I used to shop at. It had a parking lot. But it was behind the store.

Even if they weren't going to make it a mixed use building, there is NO reason they couldn't have made it front to the sidewalk and make the drivers go in the back....

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I'm tired of this "Mueller is not urban" conversation. Who cares if it's urban? Seriously.
Perhaps because the whole POINT of Mueller was to build a model urban village that would be an inspiration for future development in Austin? If we didn't care if was suburban then we should have just sold it to the highest bidder and spent the money on parks or sidewalks or some other public good....

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
At least there is a sidewalk. I tell you what. If there's a sidewalk and I'm walking, I'll walk on it. And that street isn't so wide that I can't cross it.

Question: is there anything planned for the vacant field next to the HEB?

Also, Mike, you're not being completely honest with those photos. Now don't take that as any sort of attack, but you show the approach to the HEB at Mueller, but for the Fresh Plus photo you show the front of the store. What's the approach like on that? I'll admit, I'm not familiar with either of them, but any store location anywhere isn't going to be able to control the land next to it.

So I went and looked, there are no sidewalks on East 43rd Street east of Duval Street for one's approach on foot to Fresh Plus. Granted East 43rd dead ends maybe 500 feet from there, but that means some street walking for residents there. Or in the grass. And west of Avenue H on East 43rd Street, there is only a sidewalk on the south side of the street. So pedestrians would still need to cross that street to be on a sidewalk. The Duval route looked, good, though. I even counted 8 or 9 pedestrians. And extra points for the bike lanes on Duval Street.

While these two stores are in a differently built environment, they're really not all that dissimilar in their obstacles for pedestrians. They both have sidewalks leading to them, though there are some breaks in the sidewalks (or none), and some obstacles like the parking lot. And you'll still need to cross the street at both. One point of note is that the speed limits around the HEB and the amount of traffic is probably less than what you'd encounter on East 43rd Street.

Anyway, I'd probably still prefer the Fresh Plus neighborhood over the one surrounding the HEB. Of course I'm sure there are some nice areas of Mueller where it isn't so bad.
Kevin, I didn't take either picture. And by the way, 43rd has a sidewalk on the north side all the way to at least Avenue B. That's the way we walk there. No idea why you think otherwise.

The key difference is that the HEB requires a long walk on a sidewalk headed off the main street (Berkman) onto a perpendicular parking access 'road' to hit the side of the store, then a shorter walk along the front of the store to the entrance; OR, as H2O's picture showed, a somewhat nicer but still long walk on the other side of that same perpendicular parking access 'road' and then crossing some parking and/or other access 'road' to get to the same place.

In the case of Fresh Plus, if you are already on the sidewalk on 43rd St., you are at the front door to the store. That is why the picture for Fresh Plus shows the front door. You are already there! Or, put another way, if, like my family, you walk from other parts of Hyde Park to, say, Julio's; you will walk right by the front door for the Fresh Plus.

Again, if you are on Berkman in Mueller, you still have a walk to get to the store, and it's not pleasant, and it's not on a street - it's through a parking lot.

This is a big difference. And remember, a lot of the difference between urbanism and suburbanism is NOT "CAN people walk"; it's "WILL people walk", or "HOW MANY people will walk". Most of suburban Austin has sidewalks, after all! You can theoretically walk from your suburban house to your suburban HEB. Do you? How many do?

People walk into Fresh Plus from surrounding areas all day long. That's the difference. And Fresh Plus is only halfway urban - it's not a high bar to meet; it's just that HEB didn't even try; and those of us who pointed out as far back as 2010-2011 that they weren't even trying were ridiculed and submarined for our trouble.

(and to those who thought the previous post was a personal attack - Really? REALLY? The poster in question seriously misrepresented my argument even though he clearly knows better. I asked the readers to consider why somebody might do that. If you think that's a personal attack, you are too thin-skinned for the internet).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildahat View Post
Perhaps because the whole POINT of Mueller was to build a model urban village that would be an inspiration for future development in Austin? If we didn't care if was suburban then we should have just sold it to the highest bidder and spent the money on parks or sidewalks or some other public good....

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 9:55 PM

It seems not all Muellerites are happy with the design either...

http://www.citicite.com/index.php?mo...5&TopicID=9621

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 3:51 AM

i love it when M1EK is posting. :-)

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I'm tired of this "Mueller is not urban" conversation. Who cares if it's urban? Seriously. That doesn't mean it's not worthwhile. Plenty of suburban places are interesting. Most Austinites don't live and work in a walkable neighborhood. If you can't get over the fact that it's not urban, then don't visit it. It's that simple. But most Austinites grew up in suburbia, so we can mentally handle a little non-urbanism.

People just bash Mueller for cool points. Fresh Plus is suburban compared to many places in America. But you still like it, don't you?
I agree with M1ek that this stuff matters. It's important for Mueller and can serve as a model for the city. He's right on all those points.

I agree that the Mueller HEB is essentially a suburban model - it's a single use building with a large setback, lots of surface parking in the front, etc. none of those things are disputable.

That being said there is a pretty good approach as I've shown for pedestrians and cyclists from Mueller. It goes via Berkman to Garcia and is fronted by business, ultimately on both sides of the road (Mueller is inchoate) and will provide a pleasant and engading approach for pedestrians and cyclists.

I also greatly dispute is assessment that the rest of Mueller is traditional suburban stock, it is not, not by a long shot. The neighborhood is of a kind that cannot be built anywhere else in Austin. And for all the charms of Clarksville and Hyde Park if they were destroyed by a meteorite you could not rebuild them under existing codes, not even close. At best they would look something like Allandale. And likely more like Circle C.

Finally, the core of Mueller has yet to be built. But they already started on the structured parking for town center - a very good sign. The plans for the rest of Mueller are very New Urban and I expect great things from it.

So my responses are to provide a little perspective and understanding that M1ek's one-side and harsh attacks simply fail to address.

Anyway, looks like there's been some progress since last photo updates, I'll try to take some pics today.

But does this stuff matter? On this point I'm in 100% agreement with M1ek, it matters a great deal.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 1:46 PM

The H-E-B at Mueller finally opens today.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 11:37 PM

Some updates from today:

Line this morning at Grand Opening:

Yes - people will bike there and check out the super cool bike tool stations - pumps and just above every tool you could need to make a repair on any bike:

Live music at Mueller now!

New structure along Berkman - not sure what this will be yet.

Protected bike lanes on Berkman - these will eventually go all the way across.

Market District Buildings fronting Berkman:

Gas stations - ugh, but the structure is at least fun:

New Rowhomes - went up like overnight:

More Mueller House Condos - I think this might be the last bunch for a while - if you're interested in these:

Town center Structured Parking Garage - talk is of managed parking along lines suggested by Donald Shoup. Now about that town center. . .

Thinkery resplendent in red:

Looking down Mueller Blvd towards Mosaic and new Elements:

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 12:25 AM

Thanks for taking these. I figured you'd have pics from inside the H-E-B and of that gigantic hole where the new AMLI apartment complex is going to go. But this is cool. Now all the South Austin supremacists who can't be bothered to venture up north to check it out for themselves can appreciate it (from afar).

I went to the H-E-B today after I got off work at 4 pm. I swear, I've never seen a grocery store that busy before. It was swarming with people, but it was a fun atmosphere. They had a raffle going, a live band playing (as you showed), and everybody seemed more busy ogling than shopping. Like, the lines weren't bad, at all; I think because people were just buying a few items each as an excuse to go there, which is what I did. The cashier told me "It's pretty overwhelming, actually". Poor girl.

But the place was huge. It had a sort of farmer's market feel to it. The section of the store with all the specialty departments (bakery, poultry, etc.) seemed bigger than all the others combined. Anyway, I love this new Earthy, light-weight kind of architecture and design. It had a great feel to it. Very Austin. I know some people are going to hate hearing that, but it's true. Despite it being in North Austin, it feels very Austin; like it belongs. It's going to be a part of this city for a very long time. People now have places they can go visit and enjoy in Mueller. And as a proud born and bred North Austinite, that's huge to me. Maybe we can have nice things, after all....

My point before wasn't that M1EK was wrong, just that harping on it is annoying (we're SSP posters, so of course we all get it) and that maybe incremental moves toward urbanism (which Mueller contains) are better than none at all. Appreciate it for what it is. It incorporates some New Urbanist principles, and that's not insignificant.

Last edited by Syndic; Jul 27, 2013 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 12:49 AM

The bike repair station is pretty cool, never seen one before. I still hear people refering to Mueller as Mule-er. Its pronounced Miller. Even our own local news people can't get it right. I've been quiet on the debate going on in this thread but did my own research on the whole Mueller redevelopment plan from the beginning to now and have this to say...it is home to the Browning Hanger, the only wooden bow trussed hanger in the US. Anyone who is interested in hangers should find this fascinating...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
And this is why this discussion grows so frustrating.

I believe H20 knows I'm not saying HEB should have been built with no surface parking. He?'s a smart guy - and has seen me talk approvingly about surface parking on the side at Fresh Plus.

So why on earth would he jump to this swamp analogy trying to paint me as somebody who insists we could have gotten HEB to build with no surface parking at all?

Anybody want to guess?
My swamp land comment was not addressed to anybody in particular, sorry you took it personally.

The reality is, grocery stores in Texas have surface parking. Yes, they exist with structured parking in more urban areas, but the land value has to be quite high to justify that decision.

I bet the Market District and Fresh Plus have about the same parking ratio. The MD has more parking because the store is substantially bigger.

As far as it being in front of the store, I don't really see it that way. The MD faces Berkman, not 51st. Customers coming from outside Mueller are not going to be approaching from 51st because Bartholomew Park and the Austin Film Studios are in between. Pedestrians in particular, will be crossing at the light at Berkman and 51st, and entering the MD the same way as Mueller residents. The HEB itself is turned sideways to the district, but the approach from Berkman is still very good. Placing HEB right up to Berkman, instead of having liner buildings would have made for a much less engaging streetscape on Berkman.

I do, however, have some criticisms. I'm disappointed they didn't include a playscape outside the cafe like at Central Market. I'm also disappointed that the liner buildings aren't VMU, even if they were only 2 or 3 stories to match the rowhouses being built across the street. The little open space near 51st, which is probably for water quality, is not really useful for anything else because it is across the parking lot from everything.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 12:03 AM

My, things do change over the course of 50+ years.

When my family made the final move to Austin in January of 1959, we stepped off a Douglas DC-6 airliner (nonstop from San Francisco) into the original Mueller terminal building which had been built in the 1930s. It may have been added onto by then, but it looked a lot like this old photo - the parking apron had been greatly expanded too:

It wasn't long after that the city built the "new" modernistic Mueller terminal which garnered quite a few architecture awards, IIRC.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 3:06 PM

Hey, the chron actually acknowledged "The Gap"!

Catellus is being completely disingenuous when they say "now we have a gap". There was a gap of 100-150K back in phase one, and there still is. And they've been talking about affordability by design since phase one too. They just never implement it.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/...-to-sidewalks/

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 10:12 PM

I have to say Lake|Flato kicked some ass with the design of the Mueller HEB.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
My, things do change over the course of 50+ years.

When my family made the final move to Austin in January of 1959, we stepped off a Douglas DC-6 airliner (nonstop from San Francisco) into the original Mueller terminal building which had been built in the 1930s. It may have been added onto by then, but it looked a lot like this old photo - the parking apron had been greatly expanded too:

It wasn't long after that the city built the "new" modernistic Mueller terminal which garnered quite a few architecture awards, IIRC.
Are you sure it was a non-stop flight? Wiki says the first scheduled non-stop out of state flight to Mueller was in 1968. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...icipal_Airport

Last edited by austlar1; Aug 9, 2013 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 11:19 PM

This is a little off subject, but here is a link to an interesting site that has a history of Austin area airfields. I never realized that Penn Field on S. Congress next to St. Edwards was a WWI era air field. There is also an excellent history of Mueller with lots of pictures at the end of the thread. http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/...X_Austin_W.htm

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Are you sure it was a non-stop flight? Wiki says the first scheduled non-stop out of state flight to Mueller was in 1968. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...icipal_Airport
I don't recall stopping anywhere, but do remember having to use the barf bag.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
This is a little off subject, but here is a link to an interesting site that has a history of Austin area airfields. I never realized that Penn Field on S. Congress next to St. Edwards was a WWI era air field. There is also an excellent history of Mueller with lots of pictures at the end of the thread. http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/...X_Austin_W.htm
There was a small airfield just west of what is now Koenig & Airport Blvd. One of the old corrugated metal hangars still exists, about a block south of Koenig. I last drove by it maybe 15 years ago.

Ah, mn - found it here:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/...in_W.htm#haile

Last edited by Armybrat; Aug 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
There was a small airfield just west of what is now Koenig & Airport Blvd. One of the old corrugated metal hangars still exists, about a block south of Koenig. I last drove by it maybe 15 years ago.

Ah, mn - found it here:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/...in_W.htm#haile
That was an interesting read...thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin