HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Positive comments so far, although i am sure the naysayers will chime in soon.
There are a few naysayers even on this forum... myself included.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
There are a few naysayers even on this forum... myself included.
Me too.

I defenitely won't miss this proposal if it is rejected.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Me too.

I defenitely won't miss this proposal if it is rejected.
So you would rather see a parking lot there?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 5:48 PM

No one wants to see a parking lot anywhere downtown! Since when is that the only other option? Either you build this proposal or we put in a parking lot! That just makes the developers sound evil.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
So you would rather see a parking lot there?
No but there are other options. I not an expert on economics so I don't know if any of these would make sense but;

1) He could fix up the upper floors and make them more inviting to offices,

2) or I think HRM should purchase these buildings to protect them from future proposals.

As someone stated earlier in this thread if nothing is built ontop of this block the buildings will stand for another hundred years. The problem only arises when you build a six-storey building on 200 year old buildings.

I highly doubt the developer would turn this into a parking lot if it is rejected. He would probably either sell the land or redesign his idea and try again. Besides isn't there some sort of law that bans new parking lots downtown?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 6:08 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
No but there are other options. I not an expert on economics so I don't know if any of these would make sense but;

2) or I think HRM should purchase these buildings to protect them from future proposals.

As someone stated earlier in this thread if nothing is built ontop of this block the buildings will stand for another hundred years. The problem only arises when you build a six-storey building on 200 year old buildings.

I highly doubt the developer would turn this into a parking lot if it is rejected. He would probably either sell the land or redesign his idea and try again. Besides isn't there some sort of law that bans new parking lots downtown?

Lets be honest.

If this proposal gets rejected, those buildings are just going to be left to crumble into an empty lot. For some reason I just cant see your 2 options happening, as sad as it sounds. I really do think its this development, or nothing, and I for one am a fan of the former.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 7:32 PM

Quote:

Considering one of the buildings has signifcant structural issues, i doubt it will stand (on its own) for another 100 years.

The city would never buy them back.

I had a girl friend who was at NSCAD and spent time inside these buildings. There is no way to make them work for anything, they are cut up inside and have little or no useable space and are a freaking maze.....

Wishblade statement above is pretty correct.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 9:35 PM

The justifiable fear is that if nothing is done they will eventually become like the dead zone on Barrington where the NFB and Khyber bldgs are located. HRM owns the Khyber bldg and it is in poor shape and does nothing for the block. The others next to it are even worse. You don't want them to buy this block.

The problem though as others have stated is that no other alternatives to this specific proposal have emerged.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
No one wants to see a parking lot anywhere downtown! Since when is that the only other option? Either you build this proposal or we put in a parking lot! That just makes the developers sound evil.

Its not the only other option, but is very likley what would happen. These buildings are to important to the urban fabric of the downtown to lose. I would much rather have tower on top of them than lose them all together.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
As someone stated earlier in this thread if nothing is built ontop of this block the buildings will stand for another hundred years.
Unless that someone is an engineer who has inspected the buildings, or had access to an inspection report, I would take that with a grain of.. uh, salt? or sand. I can't remember, a grain of something.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
...one of the buildings has signifcant structural issues...
According to the developer.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
According to the developer.
Yes, who as well owns the buildings and has the original engineering drawings for the building.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 2:47 AM

I recently had a tour of the buildings with the developer. And my understanding was that non of these buildings were in danger of falling down. There is a concern with the building that houses O'Carrolls because it was built on wooden pilings which may have to be replaced when a new development happens. Because of the way they were redeveloped in the 1970s for NSCAD they are unusable in their current state as office space. There are emergency exits that take you through multiple buildings. They are just simply not up to code. I have no issues with them tearing out the insides of the buildings, as I now see that they are unusable. I just want to see a better addition. I think small addition would be more appropriate or maybe if they just did something with the massing. I think that is what bothers me the most, when it comes down to it, it's just a box they are sticking on top. What if they had the full 9 stories on the Duke side and took it down a floor every 10 or 20 ft as they went towards the Morris building. Just anything that isn't a box.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
There are emergency exits that take you through multiple buildings.
Hah. Sorry, but I got this mental image of somebody running for the emergency exit as the building burns, and stepping out into a big maze, running around in circles...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Hah. Sorry, but I got this mental image of somebody running for the emergency exit as the building burns, and stepping out into a big maze, running around in circles...
Scary thing is that is the reality of these buildings.

Hopefully there will be some positive support tonight that will see this approved.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 5:51 PM

I could be wrong about this, but I thought that NSCAD was in the block above. I can't remember any NSCAD programs in the O'carrroll's block. JET

http://www.nscad.ns.ca/about/campus_map.php

"Our Granville campus is housed in the Historic Properties district, adjacent to the scenic boardwalks of Halifax Harbour. The Victorian terrace-style campus – the only one of its kind in North America – is an interconnected row of 23 former merchant shops and warehouses bounded by Hollis and Duke Streets and the cobblestone Granville pedestrian terrace. Full of character and many mysterious nooks and stairwells, the interiors are open, rugged and hospitable, and have adapted well to varied needs. "

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I could be wrong about this, but I thought that NSCAD was in the block above. I can't remember any NSCAD programs in the O'carrroll's block. JET

http://www.nscad.ns.ca/about/campus_map.php

"Our Granville campus is housed in the Historic Properties district, adjacent to the scenic boardwalks of Halifax Harbour. The Victorian terrace-style campus – the only one of its kind in North America – is an interconnected row of 23 former merchant shops and warehouses bounded by Hollis and Duke Streets and the cobblestone Granville pedestrian terrace. Full of character and many mysterious nooks and stairwells, the interiors are open, rugged and hospitable, and have adapted well to varied needs. "
NSCAD is still there in that block, but were also in the Morse tea building and this block of buildings. They vacanted sometime ago to the Port Authority building.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 1:13 AM

Must be the impending election as council is all over asking points of clarification this evening. By and by I ended up coming home to watch in the comfort of my living room. I was #45 on the list to speak so I was bumped!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 2:13 AM

I was out tonight so I missed the whole thing. Can someone catch me up? How many were in support? opposition?

Whats the final verdict on this approved? rejected? or postponed?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 2:41 AM

Quote:
I was out tonight so I missed the whole thing. Can someone catch me up? How many were in support? opposition?

Whats the final verdict on this approved? rejected? or postponed?
Its carried over until next week due to the large number of people wanting to speak. As far as the number for and against I would say 50/50 split, but I don't know I didn't see the whole thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth