HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Good to hear that my experience was an anomaly. I have no idea what the "trial" was either as the signs didn't elaborate. Regardless, it's this type of experience which will sour travellers from using particular airports.
I also fly out of YOW fairly regularly, but mainly domestic. Every time I have used the Transborder area, it has been comically quick. Like, I can't even get my shoes off fast enough that security is waving me through the metal detector.
The YOW transborder area is a bit dated... but if you try the YOW connection on the way back to YEG, I think you will enjoy it. There are Nexus kiosks when returning to Canada. I have been able to go to the bathroom, then go in the Nexus line, and beat my friends through customs who don't have Nexus.

Also the domestic Nexus line in YOW is amazing. I waited no more than 2 minutes at 5:45 am when it was very busy about a month ago. The general line was likely 10-25 mins long though.

My travels take me through YYC a lot... and their non-Nexus domestic lines are insane. I'll take YOW 9 times out of 10.

Hope you try out Porter via YOW again!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
In Halifax's case, it is lumpy, Canadian Shield like topography and coastal fog that were issues.
The Halifax airport used to be Shearwater or Canadian Naval Air Group Station Shearwater. It was a busy Military airport when the new Civilian one was proposed in the late fifties and construction of Stanfield started I believe in 1961. The City is growing so quick it might bring the City to the Airport sooner than we know.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
One word: Tourism.

Europeans want to visit Nova Scotia, P.E.I. and Newfoundland (New Brunswick is more questionable, lol j/k)

https://twitter.com/ukgolfguy/status...82519923818616

Lost my ball on that damn 16 hole last October.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 3:57 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
I thought it would be interesting to compare distance to city centre of different Canadian airports and there are two that really stand out:

Calgary - 15.0 km
Edmonton - 29.6 km
Halifax - 30.4 km
Montreal - 16.9 km
Ottawa - 10.9 km
St. John's - 7.7km
Toronto - 20.2 km
Vancouver - 11.7 km
Winnipeg - 9.5 km

I've been to both Edmonton and Halifax airports and I remember feeling they were far out of town, but I didn't realize they were that far! Why are they such outliers? Surely there was some land closer to town, no?

I feel like American cities have their airports better integrated into the city, but not sure if that is really the case....or if it is a good thing to have such a big "dead space" in the middle of your urban fabric (kind of how MTL does).

Anyway, just thought it was interesting.
Keep in mind that for YEG there were a few contributing factors:

1. Edmonton had a Downtown municipal airport 5-10 minutes north of the core.
2. A land deal was struck for YEG with a friendly handshake between land owner and purchaser.
3. Edmonton in the 60s was growing at a remarkable pace and anticipated to expand much further south than it did when it stalled in the 80s.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 6:39 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
The Halifax airport used to be Shearwater or Canadian Naval Air Group Station Shearwater. It was a busy Military airport when the new Civilian one was proposed in the late fifties and construction of Stanfield started I believe in 1961. The City is growing so quick it might bring the City to the Airport sooner than we know.
There was also a small airport in the West End that ended up being developed, and Bayers Lake was considered as an alternate location.

I'm not sure the story about the coastal location having bad weather is accurate. Environment Canada says Shearwater has more hours of good visibility and Stanfield gets a lot more snow. Stanfield is also at 145 m elevation (Bayers Lake would have been similar I guess). A lot of climate statistics come from Stanfield and don't represent the city very accurately (of course locally you'll normally get weather for the different locations, and it's not uncommon at all for it to be raining downtown and snowing at the airport).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 5:33 PM

Possible more fee's to tickets if this gets approved. But I never knew Airport Firefighters are not required to rescue passengers or enter a plane if there's a fire. I guess that's why I only see 1 or 2 firefighters at the Hamilton Airport.

https://www.iaff.org/news/iaff-suppo...-regulations/#

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Used Porter from YEG>YOW>EWR last week. Figured I'd steer clear of YYZ and give YOW a chance. Big mistake. There's no Nexus line at YOW U.S. security screening and there was only one security line open. 45 minutes to get through security and the line wasn't very long. There was a sign saying that there was a trial in progress and thanked us for our patience. I can unequivocally state that the trial was a failure. Came back through YYZ and the Nexus line was a breeze.
A delay like that at YOW is incredibly rare. Did the delay cut your connection close?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 5:47 PM

It is quite a lot of European capacity for YHZ, and I am surprised they are doing EDI instead of CDG. I know NS and Scotland have historic connections etc, but that can't be the only reason? CDG is not only home to one of its partner airlines (AF), but it is a massive connection point. EDI is the complete opposite, it is an odd choice TBH, I wonder if EDI is greasing Westjet behind the scenes lol. Edinburgh is an important city for sure, but historically most of the Scotland service to Canada has been from Glasgow (whether it is Transat, Zoom, Mytravel, etc.) they usually did Glasgow first. Interesting that WS is going all in on Edinburgh, from YYC, YYZ, and YHZ. Any Scots experts here, did something happen to switch preference away from Glasgow? I just assumed WS got some kind of sweetheart deal or something. The LGW route from YHZ will likely do well, just not sure about the DUB or EDI. Speaking of DUB, I can't believe WS is dumping more capacity on YYZ-DUB, it is already very well served (4x daily including 2 widebodies with Air Canada and Are Lingus running one each). Then TS operates one daily 321. And now that WS has collapsed its domestic capacity, where is the feed? They must be relying on O&D only, and with lots of competitors? The YYZ transborder network is very leisure oriented from Canada, I doubt it would see much International connections from the Florida beach towns. Are they relying on Delta to feed these flights? Delta already operates to DUB from MSP, BOS, ATL, and JFK, so I don't think Delta's YYZ flights would add that much? Essentially WS just did a direct swap from YOW and YUL to DUB and EDI. How bad must domestic have been to ditch them entirely and add these? Very odd, at least to an outsider like me.

On another note, I am feeling bad for YYF (Penticton). First Air Canada cancels the YVR service, which I was surprised by, and now WS drops YEG. Edmonton and Vancouver would be 2/3 of their biggest markets in and out, so to lose them both entirely is sad. I know the pilot shortage was one factor, but definitely YYF's proximity to YLW was another factor. The distance between them is probably one of the closest of any two airports AC served, if not the closest (other airports could be closer to each other ie. YVR and YXX, but AC doesn't serve them both, ditto with YYZ and YKF). But YLW and YYF both had AC service, so they really must have used that as a factor. In my opinion, this hurts other communities in the Southern Okanagan and Similkameen more (towns like Keremos Osoyoos, Oliver), since they are quite a ways to YLW, and it isn't really convenient. Especially for people from the Vancouver area, flying to YLW and then driving to Osoyoos wouldn't make a ton of sense, it's over 2 hours while the drive from Metro Van to Osoyoos is only 4/5 hours. So I feel for these places most. Penticton itself isn't going to suffer as much because it's not too far from YLW. I think they will get something back, I don't see AC staying away forever. The thing I hope helps Penticton is that a lot of people do a big Okanagan visit, where they go to Kelowna and Penticton, and lots of other small places in between (for wineries, mainly). So I think they will get a decent amount of tourism. And in the summer at least, a lot of people vacationing there have driven from the Lower Mainland or Alberta (I'm sure more Calgary than Edmonton, but healthy representation from both). So they will still have a ton our tourists, families, etc. But makes it harder for outbound travel as well as international visitors coming by plane (not sure how much of a number the international ever was, always seemed a major domestic destination mostly).

I am more than ready for all of these frickin issues to stop. Pilot shortages, supply chain problems, material shortages, chip shortages, etc... Pre-pandemic these things were almost never a thing, now it's like a bunch at once, plus inflation. It's so nuts, when Covid hit all people were thinking about was the health aspect and the isolation/distancing factor (plus the remote working thing). But no one really thought how it would affect economic things years later, like these shortages of everything

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 6:27 PM

EDI is a bigger tourism destination than GLA, and considering both of them are only 42 miles apart, North American carriers usually only serve one, not the other.

As far as TATL flights go,

EDI has AC, WS, VS, UA and DL.
GLA has TS and TUI airways to CUN. That's it.

So airlines are clearly ditching GLA in favor of EDI. EDI is doing to GLA what GLA did to PIK all those years ago.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
On another note, I am feeling bad for YYF (Penticton). First Air Canada cancels the YVR service, which I was surprised by, and now WS drops YEG. Edmonton and Vancouver would be 2/3 of their biggest markets in and out, so to lose them both entirely is sad.
Well, 8P still fly YVR-YYF from the south terminal. They even increased the service to 10x weekly after AC pulled out. Just that it will be harder to connect at YVR due to terminal change.

=========================

From this week's AC update:
YVR-BKK service increase further, now scheduled 5x weekly for the month of March. This is the 5th time they increase service on this route for this winter season.
YYZ-EDI resumption delay till May
YYZ-DUB increase to daily starting mid-March

This will probably be the last one from me until next year.. Guess I'll miss the AC domestic update for S24...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 2:49 PM

Yes 8P is there, but with the tiny Beech 1900 from the south terminal. It 's something, but no replacement for AC. But I think that flight will return once the (pilot issue?) is resolved. I found WS dropping YEG-YYF more strange actually, I would have thought the route was quite popular (and maybe it was, just not as much as others). Just sucks when two different airlines cut two different major routes.

And with EDI, I know it is a popular destination, not arguing that. It's just funny that in the recent past, leisure airlines served GLA more, and for more cities. EDI does seem to have replaced GLA, curious the reasoning since they are is close and I don't think most people could identify what makes one city that different from the other (no offence to either city, just odd to see airlines pack up and relocate to a neighbouring airport like that). Must be so cost thing, or incentives by EDI maybe.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 1:01 AM

WS are starting a daily Encore YQR-MSP route as of 28APR24.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 1:10 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
The fog didn't stop St. John's from building their airport in one of the most fog-prone areas of the city. Bunch of ninny pilots who want to see the runway prior to landing on it. Not in Newfoundland!

Anyway, even with good visibility in Halifax, keeping it on the runway seems to be a challenge.
That was a foreign decision - the airport was built by foreign forces during WWII, I think Canadian but could've been American. Our government recommended fog-free highlands to the southwest of the City, but the (Canadian?) military insisted on the East End, which is by far the foggiest part of the Northeast Avalon.

It plagued us until we installed whatever the fancy gear is that lets flights land in fog almost without exception.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
That was a foreign decision - the airport was built by foreign forces during WWII, I think Canadian but could've been American. Our government recommended fog-free highlands to the southwest of the City, but the (Canadian?) military insisted on the East End, which is by far the foggiest part of the Northeast Avalon.

It plagued us until we installed whatever the fancy gear is that lets flights land in fog almost without exception.
Canadian.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

CAT III ILS. It’s made a huge difference at YYT.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeg66 View Post
Another poster mentioned it, YYJ is quite the drive away from the core. Anywho, though it’s difficult to calculate, due to there being infinite variables that could alter the results, the most important metric is the amount of time that it would take to reach the airport from the core.
Back from the dead ! Three and a half years between posts ! Where ya' been ?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 6:03 PM

PD launch YOW and YYZ daily today to MCO.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...809346300.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 8:42 PM

YYC October 2023 Stats:

Domestic: 1,142,144 +9.7% [2019 = 1,046,834]
Transborder: 342,218 +33.3% [2019 = 289,301]
International: 167,773 +39.9% [2019 = 117,017]

October Total: 1,634,135 +16.4% [2019 total = 1,453,152]

2023 YTD: 15,737,861 +31.23%

Both US / International have pretty big increases compared to 2019. I fully believe YYC is on track to surpass its 2019 total with approx. 18.1 million.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 9:14 PM
Contôleur aérien YYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
YYC October 2023 Stats:

Domestic: 1,142,144 +9.7% [2019 = 1,046,834]
Transborder: 342,218 +33.3% [2019 = 289,301]
International: 167,773 +39.9% [2019 = 117,017]

October Total: 1,634,135 +16.4% [2019 total = 1,453,152]

2023 YTD: 15,737,861 +31.23%

Both US / International have pretty big increases compared to 2019. I fully believe YYC is on track to surpass its 2019 total with approx. 18.1 million.
Well, given that their 12 month rolling total is 18.2M, it’s guaranteed they’ll surpass 2019’s total. YYC will likely finish just over 18.5M for the year. Not too shabby for a little prairie town. Traffic movements way down, but average size of a/c substantially larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Back from the dead ! Three and a half years between posts ! Where ya' been ?
Oh, you know, 4 busy teenagers, wife and I diligently working opposite shift work schedules like ships in the night, busy social life, and general adulting…

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 11:08 PM

^ Not too dissimilar for me. 3 kids instead of 4, and surfing the midnight shift wave for 3 years now as well.

Anywho, good to have you back. Considering your last post before your disappearance was in March 2020, I was beginning to think you took the COVID isolation requirements a bit too seriously!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada