HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Um, yes please. But then they would have to be a real citywide legislative body, you know - like an actual City Council (as opposed to their current bizarre primary roles as neighborhood custodians/praetors)...

And ^^, did this dude just move to Chicago?

That being stated, from that rendering this would appear to be a pretty slick proposal, so all the luck to him!
I agree completely.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:43 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ (re: Mariott Residence Inn on LaSalle landing financing) Nice! Really, really excited for these Central Loop hotel conversions....it's going to do wonders for the area. Also can't wait to see what Kimpton is cooking up for its project slightly further south on LaSalle, and for that to move forward....

Hats off to Reschke for pulling this off, because it was looking fairly ugly with the foreclosure suit (and also, let's be frank - it's decidedly best to have him tied up with adaptive re-use projects rather than dipping his severely aesthetically-challenged toes into the downtown new construction arena!!)...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 7:17 PM
BANNED

Prudential Renovation

To reiterate JMT's post from yesterday; the Prudential building has really come alive. Photo taken this morning.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 7:30 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The work on Northerly Island is a sort of "Phase I" of Studio Gang's plan, funded through an Army Corps habitat restoration program. It will include a lagoon, a path, and some sculptural landforms along with vegetation. Basically just a massive regrading and replanting, as you might expect for a habitat restoration.

However, the many "programmed" bits of Studio Gang's proposal - the bridges, boardwalks, shelters, and pavilions - are all currently unfunded, along with any hard infrastructure or site furnishings.
Great that the project was able to get restoration funding through the Army Corps - I really like the project! - but what, exactly, is being restored? Wouldn't a true restoration entail removing the island entirely, since it is man-made landfill from the Century of Progress World's Fair?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
The hotel conversion planned for 11 S. LaSalle has secured financing:

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...883H3247467E8W
Good grief, another global hotel brand for the NW Loop? I'm starting to understand the oversupply concerns.

Marriott Residence Inn is an extended-stay flag like Hyatt House, which should appeal to long-term business travelers who've had to do short term apartment rentals (often through Mariott ExecuStay) if they wanted to stay in the downtown area. I threw a fit about that Hyatt House by Trump because that seemed like a waste of prime riverfront real estate when shorter turnover hotels make more money, but buried in the loop is fine by me.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 8:57 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrab View Post
Great that the project was able to get restoration funding through the Army Corps - I really like the project! - but what, exactly, is being restored? Wouldn't a true restoration entail removing the island entirely, since it is man-made landfill from the Century of Progress World's Fair?
This is Chicago, man. We don't give a rat's ass about purity.

The project creates semi-suitable habitat for endangered species, so it's "restoration".

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:36 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!

The fight...oops I mean the presentation for the Childrens Memorial Hospital redevelopment plan...is tonight at 6:30 pm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^^ (re: Mariott Residence Inn on LaSalle landing financing) Nice! Really, really excited for these Central Loop hotel conversions....it's going to do wonders for the area. Also can't wait to see what Kimpton is cooking up for its project slightly further south on LaSalle, and for that to move forward....

Hats off to Reschke for pulling this off, because it was looking fairly ugly with the foreclosure suit (and also, let's be frank - it's decidedly best to have him tied up with adaptive re-use projects rather than dipping his severely aesthetically-challenged toes into the downtown new construction arena!!)...
I hope these hotels come with decent dining and drink options. The Loop needs to desperately work on its happy hour scene. Do people see the shuttles driving around the loop taking people to bars in River North and the West Loop? The average age of anyone eating or drinking in the Loop after 5pm has to be around 90. I hope these hotels change that.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:07 PM

^A few of the swank new indie hotels in the NE end of the loop are bringing signature restaurants, like Indigo and Virgin. The global brands will probably have upscale restaurants but probably nothing phenomenal.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
I hope these hotels come with decent dining and drink options. The Loop needs to desperately work on its happy hour scene. Do people see the shuttles driving around the loop taking people to bars in River North and the West Loop? The average age of anyone eating or drinking in the Loop after 5pm has to be around 90. I hope these hotels change that.
Yeah, but there are some spots in the west part of the Loop that aren't just all old people. In the summer when the patio at Rivers opens up, there's a number of younger people there as well as South Branch across the street.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:32 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Can we just reduce the city council at this point? Ten maybe?
I was thinking we should have a tribunals for four parts of the city, created geographically out of Central Chicago, the North Side, the West Side, and the South Side. Each area would have a tribunal - three elected members - who made decisions about things that only affected that "side" Chicago. For things that affected the City as a whole, including anything transit-related, each tribunal would get to cast a vote. In the event of a 2-2 tie, the Mayor would get to cast the deciding vote. Or, alternately, a city-wide-elected ombudsman who would be elected on an election cycle that was offset from the mayoral elections, would get to cast the deciding vote. A sort of mostly-useless equivalent of the US Vice President, but less linked with the mayor than the VP is with the President.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The fight...oops I mean the presentation for the Childrens Memorial Hospital redevelopment plan...is tonight at 6:30 pm
Can't attend tonight's NIMBY shit-show? Watch the live-stream here:
http://ow.ly/sAt89

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Can't attend tonight's NIMBY shit-show? Watch the live-stream here:
http://ow.ly/sAt89
haha awesome..

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:18 AM

I would have stood out like a sore thumb at that meeting

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
That's never stopped me.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The only example I remember was when DePaul bought out all the condo owners in that old abbey at Fullerton & Sheffield in the early 1980s.

But perhaps the Lincoln Center owners are facing (like my own building) a big repair bill for that deck or some other part of the exterior envelope, and will think the developer's offer a godsend.
that must be it, Mr. D... I also was wondering how in the world you could get 30 condo owners to agree to anything, but a looming special could do it!

My condo building is only 8 years old and we just had a special to fix shortcuts from the developer and I took a 23k hit, others foreclosed...

this particular building looks like it was built like shit from the get go...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I was thinking we should have a tribunals for four parts of the city, created geographically out of Central Chicago, the North Side, the West Side, and the South Side. Each area would have a tribunal - three elected members - who made decisions about things that only affected that "side" Chicago. For things that affected the City as a whole, including anything transit-related, each tribunal would get to cast a vote. In the event of a 2-2 tie, the Mayor would get to cast the deciding vote. Or, alternately, a city-wide-elected ombudsman who would be elected on an election cycle that was offset from the mayoral elections, would get to cast the deciding vote. A sort of mostly-useless equivalent of the US Vice President, but less linked with the mayor than the VP is with the President.
Not bad, certainly better than 50 alderman, most of which are stupid.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
So what happened?

Did anyone attend? Or is there a summary available somewhere online?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
So what happened?

Did anyone attend? Or is there a summary available somewhere online?
Covered in the Highrise thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...page=634#12679

Curbed or CAB should have something a little more formal eventually.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
That's never stopped me.
I thought your comments were thoughtful and articulate. Well done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development