HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:51 AM

Orangetheory Fitness to open in Mayfair, between Freshii and the big corner space.
http://edmonton-downtown.orangetheoryfitness.com/

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:28 PM

Style magnate John Fluevog puts stamp on Edmonton with store
http://edmontonjournal.com/life/fash...-fluevog-store

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 8:27 PM

Not sure which thread to use, but any recommendations for a good dentist that is in a building that is part of the downtown pedway system?

I know I've harped about the oversaturation of dental clinics in the central core but now it's about time I switched to one! My long-time dentist retired and my favorite hygienist is leaving, but since their clinic is outside of downtown I want to take the opportunity to cut ties and switch to a good quality clinic at a more convenient location within the downtown core. Preferably within the pedway system so it's close to work and can leave my jacket at the office.

One place I'm looking into is R Dental in HSBC Place (adjacent to Edmonton City Centre mall), another is City Centre Dental in Commerce Place.

Rather just relying on reviews on yelp and google, any recommendations from the fine folks here is greatly appreciated.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 1:14 AM
GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Not sure which thread to use, but any recommendations for a good dentist that is in a building that is part of the downtown pedway system?

I know I've harped about the oversaturation of dental clinics in the central core but now it's about time I switched to one! My long-time dentist retired and my favorite hygienist is leaving, but since their clinic is outside of downtown I want to take the opportunity to cut ties and switch to a good quality clinic at a more convenient location within the downtown core. Preferably within the pedway system so it's close to work and can leave my jacket at the office.

One place I'm looking into is R Dental in HSBC Place (adjacent to Edmonton City Centre mall), another is City Centre Dental in Commerce Place.

Rather just relying on reviews on yelp and google, any recommendations from the fine folks here is greatly appreciated.
I cant offer you any specific recommendations in Edmonton, however having recently gone through this elsewhere in the province I found most offered the same technology, quality of office etc, what I later found wasnt the same was the cost of their services. Some are significantly higher than others, and even if you have dental benefits, chances are you will be paying that extra out of pocket as most benefits are based on an outdated fee guide. Most rarely see their dentist anyways (usually the hygienists) so if I were looking for a dentist again I would call around and find that that was reasonably priced.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 4:58 PM

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/917795523247124480
Quote:
Sears seeks to liquidate all remaining stores. Pending court approval, process expected to begin Oct. 19. BG: http://cbc.ca/1.4319040
Quote:
Sears says it is forced to liquidate after failing to find buyer. Retailer has been operating under creditor protection since summer.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 5:06 PM

Sears Canada to ask court for permission to liquidate all remaining stores
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sear...ourt-1.4347765

Quote:
Sears Canada said Tuesday it plans to seek court approval to begin liquidation of all of its remaining stores and assets.

"Sears Canada, with the recommendation of its advisers and approval of the Monitor, FTI Consulting Inc., is seeking an order to commence a liquidation that would result in a wind-down of its business following court approval," Sears Canada said in a release.

"The company deeply regrets this pending outcome and the resulting loss of jobs and store closures," the retailer said.

Sears Canada said that if it get the court's approval to begin the process, it is expected that liquidation sales at retail locations would start no earlier than Oct. 19 and continue for 10 to 14 weeks," the company said.

Sears Canada has been in court-approved creditor protection since June 22.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:04 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Not surprised in the least. They've been circling the drains for years. Just curious to know if anyone will pounce on the open spaces at Southgate, WEM and Kingsway or if they sit on the market for years with marginal tenants... These are the good malls with large flagship spaces so it will be interesting to see the strategy... My guess is we will soon hear an announcement for a Nordstrom soon since that seems to be the only active player in Canada expanding ATM...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:04 AM

Its in Edmonton!

Michael Kors Opens 1st Dedicated Men’s Store in Canada [Photos]

New York City-based fashion brand Michael Kors has opened its first dedicated men’s store in Canada, at West Edmonton Mall. The 1,895 square foot store is located next to the mall’s Michael Kors women’s store that is located on the second level, alongside a number of other upscale retailers.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...chael-kors-men

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Not surprised in the least. They've been circling the drains for years. Just curious to know if anyone will pounce on the open spaces at Southgate, WEM and Kingsway or if they sit on the market for years with marginal tenants... These are the good malls with large flagship spaces so it will be interesting to see the strategy... My guess is we will soon hear an announcement for a Nordstrom soon since that seems to be the only active player in Canada expanding ATM...

Might be the beginning of a massive Dollar store expansion

You could be right on Nordstroms.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:17 PM

My hope is Nordstrom but my money is on Homesense/Marshall's they seem to be going up everywhere.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:21 PM

If Nordstrom comes to Edmonton, the Southgate Sears location is probably the most logical choice. Likely not WEM otherwise they could have had the Target space. Kingsway - who knows.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:52 AM

what about saks? they are still wanting to expand and open full line regular stores and they seem to like having saks and the bay in the same malls.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
what about saks? they are still wanting to expand and open full line regular stores and they seem to like having saks and the bay in the same malls.
the bay owns saks and their real estate criteria are probably coordinated, particularly in canada. the saks store in toronto was carved out of the downtown bay and isn’t even a pure stand alone store. with both brands you still have to wonder whether the underlying business play isn’t more real estate than retail.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:34 PM

It's official now - Sears is going bye bye
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sear...ties-1.4353011

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:52 PM

BMO is open. Tellers, on the pedway level, wealth management on the main floor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5u1v800cif...%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
BMO is open. Tellers, on the pedway level, wealth management on the main floor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5u1v800cif...%20AM.jpg?dl=0
Top shelf blue blank wall there!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 5:36 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post

I use R Dental and have enjoyed it. Never paid a cent extra out of pocket. I recommend them.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 2:59 PM

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai.../2017/10/brief

Quote:
West Edmonton Mall Secures Tenants for Target Space:
North America’s largest mall is getting a few new tenants, following Target’s exit from the mall in the spring of 2015. According to signage, the ground floor of West Edmonton Mall’s former 126,000 square foot Target will feature a combined Winners/HomeSense store, spanning more than 62,000 square feet. On the second level of the former Target space, retailer buybuyBABY will open a 23,300 square foot store — the remaining 36,260 square feet on that level is currently occupied by a temporary location for Halloween Alley.

The mall’s current Winners location will be replaced with a Marshalls store, according to West Edmonton Mall. Both Winners and Marshalls are owned by TJX Companies. West Edmonton Mall is also seeing other tenants which will be discussed at length in a separate article.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:01 PM

https://twitter.com/kingswaymall/sta...65389321236480

Quote:
Kingsway Mall‏ @kingswaymall

Good morning everyone! Today is the Grand Opening of @marshallscanada @HomeSenseCanada & @hmcanada at @kingswaymall

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 12:05 AM

Hit up some northside malls for some Halloween accessories.

I was at Londonderry Mall for the first time in several years. Impressive! It looks like an entirely different mall from the rundown thug hangout it used to be. I saw some members of the neck-tattooed gangsta-wannabe crowd, but they were few and far between. It was quite busy, which was nice to see. I like their Simons location better than the one at WEM - better organized and less of a mishmash albeit a tad smaller. The new food court looks very much like the new food court at City Centre, I'm almost certain they used the same designer. The mall still has lots of empty retail spaces to fill though.

Kingsway Mall was very busy due to the Sears liquidation and the openings of Marshalls, Home Sense and the new H&M. The former Target has been transformed into a new wing of the mall, now they just need to fill those new spaces. Thankfully some existing spaces seem to be filled that were empty before although the old H&M is now sitting vacant. The newly renovated Bay looks very good now, I'd say this has now bumped up to their 3rd best location in the city.

Last edited by Hallsy's Toupee; Oct 23, 2017 at 1:58 AM. Reason: grammar

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton