HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 10:21 PM

^Too further your point every international and exchange student I have met in my studio, whether they be from Germany, Brazil, or even Iran are just absolutely shocked at how wide our roads are in the Downtown.

Furthermore, the first thing they always say is "man this place is really built for cars." It's an utter shame we keep our supposed "Main Street" in this absolutely dismal state, and correction too fix Main should have occurred in 2000.

I will even go one step further and argue we have one of the worst main streets in the entire planet regardless of population. Sure there's like 3 nice blocks North of Portage courtesy of the Exchange District but the rest of the street is a travesty. Not a good look at all for the city.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 10:42 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Truly. I recently took someone from a hotel downtown to the Forks. They couldn’t believe how wide Main was and that cars were just flying down the curb lane. We walked through Union Station which we both enjoyed and exited the other side in a parking lot. Not a great impression. It would be so nice to connect the Forks market to the rest of the downtown.

The Forks was buzzing when we arrived. Lots of activity.
The actual stuff that exists at the forks is pretty good for the most part. I understand they don’t wanna screw up the development of the lots but it’s really excruciating how slow the process has been. I find it intriguing how the Main Street side has managed to stay so stagnant for so long too, especially considering its proximity to the forks. Need some positive momentum and critical mass there (and a metro population of about 2 million lol). Ah wrll
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:00 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

least that stetch of main has seen buildings get restored renovated rather then torn down in the last few yrs

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
The actual stuff that exists at the forks is pretty good for the most part. I understand they don’t wanna screw up the development of the lots but it’s really excruciating how slow the process has been. I find it intriguing how the Main Street side has managed to stay so stagnant for so long too, especially considering its proximity to the forks. Need some positive momentum and critical mass there (and a metro population of about 2 million lol). Ah wrll
I think Main Street's width is accentuated by the fact that there are no buildings on at least one side of the street from the Assiniboine River pretty much up to Graham. You have the ill-considered park space and Wawanesa's parking lot on the west side, then the strip of parking lots and vacant lots punctuated only by the vacant Earls. I think it would feel much different if those spaces had 6-20 storey buildings on them.

That said, I too find it perplexing how that east side stretch of Main has been so resistant to development. On paper you'd think it would be one of the most appealing places to build downtown given its close proximity to The Forks, St. Boniface, the Exchange District and Portage and Main. It's easy to imagine a couple of TNS-style midrise residential towers with soaring views of The Forks that will never be blocked. Yet here we are decades into The Forks' existence and there aren't even any rumours of development there, let alone actual construction activity.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think Main Street's width is accentuated by the fact that there are no buildings on at least one side of the street from the Assiniboine River pretty much up to Graham. You have the ill-considered park space and Wawanesa's parking lot on the west side, then the strip of parking lots and vacant lots punctuated only by the vacant Earls. I think it would feel much different if those spaces had 6-20 storey buildings on them.

That said, I too find it perplexing how that east side stretch of Main has been so resistant to development. On paper you'd think it would be one of the most appealing places to build downtown given its close proximity to The Forks, St. Boniface, the Exchange District and Portage and Main. It's easy to imagine a couple of TNS-style midrise residential towers with soaring views of The Forks that will never be blocked. Yet here we are decades into The Forks' existence and there aren't even any rumours of development there, let alone actual construction activity.
Definitely agree with you, it's a prime spot and no apparent interest despite all the positives.

The only thing I would really want to check as a prospective buyer for a hypothetical building there would be soundproofing in the unit. The trains that roll by every 10-15 minutes squealing their brakes as they cross Union would get really old really fast.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:59 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
One reason may be that up until very recently Earl's has occupied a big chunk of that land, including the parking lot.

Hopefully those properties are back in play - although there is nothing stopping someone from opening up another restaurant in that space and using it for the same purposes going forward.

Was the VIA lot on the southside of York up for sale recently? I think I remembered seeing a sign posted there. That is also a prime location for something better.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:12 PM

Saw a bunch of workers going in and out of the old earls a couple days ago with a big demolition bin out front. My guess is it will be becoming a new resto. Pretty prime spot with free parking.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post

The only thing I would really want to check as a prospective buyer for a hypothetical building there would be soundproofing in the unit. The trains that roll by every 10-15 minutes squealing their brakes as they cross Union would get really old really fast.
I don't think it is train brakes making the squeal noise. It is the curve coming into downtown from the Red River crossing by the ball park. The inside of the wheels are in constant lateral pressure with the curve of the rails. I don't know what could be done to rectify that other than spending massive amounts of money to move the line. I actually like the trains running on the high-line through downtown, but that noise is a but much.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Saw a bunch of workers going in and out of the old earls a couple days ago with a big demolition bin out front. My guess is it will be becoming a new resto. Pretty prime spot with free parking.
from people talking, i heard Sabino bought it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:15 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^funny, after Earls moved I saw Sabino coming out of the closed building.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:20 PM

Well if that's true, then we are looking at another decade minimum of a low end bar and massive parking lot taking up half that block. Yuck.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:24 PM
the first stamp is free

^ restaurants (not called Earls) come and go as a rule. It's very possible whatever opens up there isn't successful for very long.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:25 PM

Sometimes it's good to take a step back. The Forks development will happen, perhaps not on everyone's timeline. I'm sure back when the forks of the two rivers were hidden away from view behind loading docks and train tracks many thought it would never be what it is today.

Last edited by Ando; Sep 22, 2022 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Sometimes it's good to take a step back. The Forks development will happen, perhaps not on everyone's timeline. I'm sure back when the forks of the two rivers were hidden away form view behind loading docks and train tracks many thought it would never be what it is today.
That's fair. There was a decent amount of progress from roughly 1987-2012. Development has been much slower since CMHR was built, though.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:58 PM

There goes any hope of a Main St resurgence..

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 5:01 PM

There was hope?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Well if that's true, then we are looking at another decade minimum of a low end bar and massive parking lot taking up half that block. Yuck.
I thought the giant parking lot reverted to the city if it wasn't developed by a particular time? Or something? I remember it coming up when Earls proposed a renovation that would keep a giant surface lot.

That said, Tummillo buying this spot probably means we can expect a continuity in stabbings and other low-rent club drama for the foreseeable future...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There goes any hope of a Main St resurgence..

Does it? Whether the restaurant is a going concern or not doesn't seem super relevant to whether or not a tower developer arrives with a large cheque.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 6:55 PM

old Earl's is looking brutal with boarded up windows and overgrown weeds. really hoping this rumour of a new place is factual. a new nightclub if it's Sabinno?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Does it? Whether the restaurant is a going concern or not doesn't seem super relevant to whether or not a tower developer arrives with a large cheque.
I guess tower developers have been able to buy sites from him before, if you catch my drift

Yeah, I guess nothing is preventing someone from coming in and making an offer for the lot, but it would have been better for the city in general to cut out the middleman and have the tower developer buy the lot instead. But alas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan