HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 2:31 AM

This is a beautiful tower, but I don’t see any company paying $200/sf to be in that crappy area. Vornado has A LOT of heavy lifting to do before that area warrants such a high-end tower. Also, that area is inconvenient for people who live in Westchester, Connecticut, and the East Side.

I think that 175 Park, The Roosevelt, and the space that Citadel does not occupy at 350 Park, and 347 Madison will have far more demand than this tower.

Last edited by ChiND; Jun 22, 2024 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 5:37 PM

...shrinkage. :/

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 6:45 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

It was in the pool!

It was in the pool!

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 12:47 AM

Looking back at the thread, I see it goes back all the way to late 2008. It's almost as bad as 2 WTC. As far as I wish, I rather see this area remain delayed and the Port Authority and the Roosevelt Hotel remain in the planning stage until the Hudson Yards phase 2 and the Park Ave proposed skyscrapers are well underway with big leases and no more changes like value engineering and height chops.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 1:00 AM
just a pool of mushy goo

Not to mention the site along with the adjacent block is the perfect location for a new ground up MSG.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Not to mention the site along with the adjacent block is the perfect location for a new ground up MSG.
I agree.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 2:24 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Looking back at the thread, I see it goes back all the way to late 2008. It's almost as bad as 2 WTC. As far as I wish, I rather see this area remain delayed and the Port Authority and the Roosevelt Hotel remain in the planning stage until the Hudson Yards phase 2 and the Park Ave proposed skyscrapers are well underway with big leases and no more changes like value engineering and height chops.

This tower has been in the pipeline so long because of Vornado’s off again, on again approach to building it. If not for the pandemic forced closure of the hotel, it would probably still be open. But they days were numbered still, because Vornado is wrapping up the redevelopment of 1 and 2 Penn, which are both excellent, and turning its attention to the surrounding properties.

But lets not forget that it was Vornado that landed the first major tenant from elsewhere in Manhattan (before even the Hudson Yards) when Merrill Lynch planned to move its headquarters to 15 Penn. The financial crisis killed that, and Vornado remained ambivalent towards moving forward, using the hotel as a placeholder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Let it go. No more superblocks. Besides, all you would be doing is swapping locations for towers.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 11:09 AM

Doesn't now block ESB view from The Edge observation deck (1100ft) and not impose too much over the ESB as well. Better more slicker design.

Good stuff.

Last edited by SkyHigher; Jun 23, 2024 at 11:22 AM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 10:23 PM
DENNAB

Considering I wasn't sure this was getting built at all I take this as good news.

Beyond 1k is still decent and the design is still uh... interesting. I think it'll look good when built.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 10:40 PM

An office tower won’t be built here for a very long time.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 6:13 PM
New Yorker for life

This has been open for a while, but it’s officially open now.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...-DISTRICT.html

Grand Opening: Vornado Realty Trust and Local Officials Cut the Ribbon on Plaza33, a Dynamic New Public Space in the Heart of THE PENN DISTRICT

June 24, 2024

Quote:
….. Plaza33 is the central outdoor feature of Vornado’s $2.7 billion investment in THE PENN DISTRICT, which includes over $100 million in public realm improvements by Vornado. The total renovation of PENN 1 and PENN 2, comprising nearly 5 million square feet of newly renovated office buildings, is complete and features the Bustle which stretches 430 feet down 7th Avenue from 33rd to 31st Street. This stunning architectural feature not only marks the entrance to the PENN 2 office building, to Madison Square Garden and to the main entrance to Penn Station on 7th Avenue, but also to Manhattan’s new west side.

These buildings also offer the largest and most exciting amenity package in Manhattan. The Farley Post Office was recently redeveloped into 730,000 SF for Meta, and the new Moynihan Train Hall now connects directly to the new LIRR Concourse. In addition to making the streetscape around Penn Station greener, more accessible and more pedestrian-friendly, Vornado has partnered with the NYC DOT to replace one-half mile of concrete sidewalks across THE PENN DISTRICT with distinctive granite stone pavers, and to double the width of the 7th Avenue sidewalks that serve the busiest neighborhood in the City and New York’s most accessible transit hub.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 2:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 1:34 PM

The new design looks great and honestly this might be the one case that I'm a big fan of the height reduction. This will be a great office tower and will not impede too much on the area.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
The new design looks great and honestly this might be the one case that I'm a big fan of the height reduction. This will be a great office tower and will not impede too much on the area.
I agree. The tower is bulky, sort of brutish looking, so the shorter the better, especially being so close to ESB. I think it actually now looks kind of cute with a shorter height.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Much improved but the massing is still off on this one. A height cut was the best thing that could've happened to this tower imo.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 4:00 PM
New Yorker for life

I think some of you may be missing the point on the smaller and shorter tower. This isnt a one off tower, and that cut space likely went to one of the future towers Vornado is planning in the area, which could be taller and larger than this one when all is said and done. Still, the impact of the reduced tower is minimal for a tower of this size. Certainly no one at the street level would know the difference.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 4:26 PM

Moving the core from the side to the center is a big improvement. This still looks like a giant filing box for office workers. Hopefully further design tweaks can make this appear more elegant.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 4:31 PM

Have any renderings been released of what the widened 7th Avenue sidewalks will look like?

Last edited by ChiND; Jun 25, 2024 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 4:55 PM
Fake News

Not a fan of this one. Design just looks awkward. The terraces make it look lumpy and the wide floor plate is unflattering. The overall shape just seems ugly. I love most Foster's but not this one.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 1:33 PM

Why bother going through all the trouble of destroying hotel Penn for this. Only a 1000ft next to the best transport. Should be taller, better, more mixed use: residential, hotel, office, etc and make it much bigger

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals