HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYskyline View Post
where was this takeing from
Yeah, it's the home of the Staten Island Yankees.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Towering above them all.

1,223' 6'' right now. Parapet height is 1373'. Topping out roof should be around late May / early June.
WOW! Even more great pictures! You a professional?

Thanks for the information. I am freaking out over the topping out date! This May...I cannot believe it. It has been long, but we are finally getting close to the end of how tall this monster will actually look live and in person; or with the help of great photographers such as you.

I just cannot wait!!!!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Actually the Port Authority should try to get Chadbourne and Parke to lease room in either Two or Three World Trade Center. They are the ones that desperately needs tenants or else they won't be built, and what a better company to take room in them then Chadbourne and Parke.
Probably won't happen because the same reason the move didn't happen would still apply...

http://www.commercialobserver.com/20...surprises-few/
Chadbourne Decision Surprises Few
Relocating downtown and big capital expenditure dissuaded law firm

By Daniel Geiger 3/21/12

Quote:
Chadbourne & Parke’s decision not to move to One World Trade Center surprised few in the real estate industry who for weeks had been telling The Commercial Observer that the firm’s partners were divided about relocating to Lower Manhattan from Midtown where the firm has long been based.

Another issue that people familiar with the law firm said likely dissuaded it from doing the deal at the iconic downtown tower is the large capital expenditure it would require the company to spend building its space there. “Law firms don’t really have any assets except their people,” said a real estate lawyer who spoke with The Commercial Observer. “As a result, to take a loan, a firm’s partners sometimes have to pledge their own assets as collateral, which can make borrowing money tricky.”

The owners of One World Trade, a partnership between the Port Authority and the Durst Organization, would likely have given Chadbourne & Park significant incentives to do the deal that would have covered part of this expense. Still, Chadbourne & Parke would have likely had to fork over millions of dollars more to pay for the space.

Meanwhile...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...127950288.html
Windy City East

March 21, 2012
Eliot Brown

Quote:
The developers of One World Trade Center, the 1,776-foot tower under construction in Lower Manhattan, are facing a problem of nature: wind.

Even though the winter was unusually mild, winds have been gustier than expected, and workers were unable to put up steel at the tower for portions or all of 35 days between December and February, according to Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. He said that is about twice as much time lost to the elements than expected by the agency, which is developing the 104-story tower.

Despite the wind, and a little rain, Mr. Coleman said, "we've made significant progress on the tower and anticipate completing the 101st floor within six weeks." He said the completion date around the end of 2013 wouldn't be affected.

In October 2008, the agency predicted that the building would be "topped out" with its final floor by the end of 2011. Now, in part due to the wind, it is still at least a couple of months away, although the agency hasn't announced a new date.

The agency says it halts the use of cranes to lift steel when winds reach 30 miles an hour.

pmarella

wwward0

bytegirl24

spin979

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 22, 2012 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheLens827 View Post
Yea, 150 Feet does seem like nothing now. I realized that last night.
Anyway, They built the Empire State Building & the original WTC Twin Towers Alot Faster! It took a fast year for The Empire State Building. For the Twin Towers, Steel construction of the North Tower started in Aug of 1968 & it Top-Out on Dec 23, 1970. This tower is taking close to 3 years now. Steel construction started for this tower on Aug 12, 2009. (Well, for the perimeter Jumbo Beams that is above Grade). I did forget that we did have a few bad winters & a Huricane that we had to deal with. Oh yea, I also forgot about the 2 month Delay from the end of Nov to the end of Jan sometime. So yea, I am sorry... I just really thought the tower was going to be Topped out for sure by this point in Time. I thought it would be Toped out in Jan or Feb sometime. I did say that in one of my videos on youtube that it will be at the roof in Feb, March, or April. I feel like a idiot now for saying that on my videos. Oh well, we can't do anything about it now. Crap happens. I am just glad that we can see the Tower from all over the city now! We just have to hang in there & just wait alittle longer now. Trust me, I can't wait for her to get to the roof & for them to add the Antenna. Before we know it, she'll be at FULL HEIGHT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
I'd like to think that the reason this one took so long, is because of, the complexity of making it resistant to attack, or more indestructible. Of course, it is unlikely to be attacked again. Now as for the inactivity from November to January, is that because of the winds that blow at higher speeds, because of higher altitude? That of course is much more acceptible than the damn politics and the bureaucratic bullshit. That should be long gone by now. That is what held the damn thing up years ago. However if not for that, we would have ended up with that ridiculous travesty that Libeskind tried to pull off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Well Tower One took literally forever for the substructure to fully reach street level before the superstructure finally began in August 2009. The Tower is being built over the PATH tracks so that really caused several delays. Yeah if it weren't for all the politics and bureaucratic nonsense the project could have been done by now. In 2008 it wasn't known when anything would get done because everything was over budget and no one knew what the hell they were doing back then. The problem is the proposal for the site was a master plan of 5 new Towers to be built and not for one second did anyone consider that building too much office space at one time or the overall costs would be a cause for concern due to the recession. Only later did they try and cut back on costs wherever they could but that obviously hasn't helped since One World Trade is costing about $4 Billion, which is ridiculous. I'm just glad Tower One & Tower 4 started when they did otherwise we would have nothing by now. Libeskind's design for Tower One would gave been changed regardless of politics and bureaucracy. His design was unsafe, challenging, and just did not fit New York at all. I guess you have to give the NYPD some credit too for deciding to push the Tower further away from West Street and wanted the base to be bomb proof.
No. What made Tower 1 so long to construct was it laid above and around the PATH tracks unlike the Twin Towers which never rose near them. Since it rose near a tunnel they had to be extremely careful not to damage the tunnel or harm the commuters.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
No. What made Tower 1 so long to construct was it laid above and around the PATH tracks unlike the Twin Towers which never rose near them. Since it rose near a tunnel they had to be extremely careful not to damage the tunnel or harm the commuters.
Actually, the original WTC Tower 2 rose over path tracks as well. The new WTC Tower 1 is built a lot with the highest of codes and safety standards. In other words, they are putting a lot more effort into the new WTC than they did the original, that's just the way I interpret it...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:53 PM

a hazy morning in new york... but i think we have new perimeter columns, and we have reached the 100th floor!

from earthcam

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargarensis View Post
a hazy morning in new york... but i think we have new perimeter columns, and we have reached the 100th floor!
WHAT!!? I thought it the agency said it expects to complete the 101st floor of the 104-story tower in the next SIX WEEKS?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:40 PM

^^^ the pictures dont lie! up until yesterday we had perimeter columns up to 93, core columns up to 93M... looking closely at the new perimeter columns today, i saw three splices 93M (matching the height of the current core columns), 100, and 101... so quite possible we are up to 101! i hope someone can confirm

from earthcam again:

By eastsidehighrise at 2012-03-22

By eastsidehighrise at 2012-03-22

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Right because US construction workers are paid the same amount as the South Asian workers that received $6.75 per day on Burj Khalifa. That's less than US minimum wage (per hour)....and even far less than the $30+/hour that concrete and ironworkers make on the WTC. Please tell me you were aware of this before you call WTC construction costs a crime. I agree there's probably some waste, but billions spent is justifiable.
Well, the anticipated costs for the 2000 ft Chicago Spire were around 1.8-2 billion, and I'm pretty sure those workers would be getting paid the same as New York workers... What I am saying is that WTC-1 is costing far too much for its nowadays average height REGARDLESS of labor costs.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
What I am saying is that WTC-1 is costing far too much for its nowadays average height REGARDLESS of labor costs.
This tower is expensive for far too many reasons to go into. Suffice to say that this isn't your ordinary skyscraper, or even ordinary supertall. It costs what it costs to build it that way.

charliep74

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:54 PM

well, so its seems like with the new perimeter colomns being added today, i think Tower 1 WTC is now the tallest building in NYC and NYS . The reign of the World Trade Center has once again began.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 4:20 PM

1WTC now regins supreme of New York City.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:08 PM

I'm on the Hudosn River Park trying to study but they're raising new vertical steel as we speak. My iPhone camera wont show it when I try to take a picture though. But there are now four perimeter verticle steal beams!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:14 PM

Wow, they are really going fast, I'm glad to see it

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:20 PM

Eleven more feet and 1wtc will be the new king of new york.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:25 PM
BANNED

Wait what! Some of you are saying its now the tallest, while one of you says eleven feet to surpass the Empire State Building?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
Eleven more feet and 1wtc will be the new king of new york.
I thought it beat the Empire Stste Building with this new height change.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 6:12 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Carlos! Where you been? Where you at? Pics Please!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 6:19 PM

These new vertical columns look rather tall to be at just 1,240'. They look similar in height to the columns erected for the 91st and 92nd floors. I think it did pass the ESB but we'll wait for the Carlos cam.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 6:23 PM

Quote:

That is basically what I had in mind. The complications of meeting the codes, of requirement, that did not exist decades ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive