HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 6:46 PM

Harrisburg Tribute Video *new*

i was bored and put this little tribute to harrisburg together..... enjoy!

http://animoto.com/play/8a368419f919...c57108462436c8

Last edited by crs921; Nov 26, 2007 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 2:13 AM

where i live now....

after you view my little tribute to harrisburg, be sure to check out my little animoto clip of where i live now - fort lauderdale, florida!

http://animoto.com/play/6501da3713d0...d8d016e67cf213

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 4:50 AM
Man on a mission

and you want to move back? I think that would be a tough choice for me.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 2:24 PM

sometimes...

LOL...i love living in fort lauderdale, fl. but, as i get older, i do miss my friends and family in and around harrisburg. i think hbg has potential, and sometimes i want to be a part of the growth and change. other days, i don't.

honestly, i won't be making any moves for at least 3 or 4 years --- but my hometown always will tug on my heart strings....

but, you are right....leaving the nice weather (despite hurricanes), blue warm ocean water, palm trees, and a heck of a nice and growing skyline here in fort lauderdale would be tough....

we shall see....

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 12:06 AM

*hbg Alert*

I am hearing from folks in the city that Harrisburg is going to be filing paperwork to be classified as a "distressed city" for the first time since the 1980s. Anyone know more?

These same contacts are saying there is quite a buzz to have Mayor Reed removed from office....

Any updates would be great. Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 2:24 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs921 View Post
I am hearing from folks in the city that Harrisburg is going to be filing paperwork to be classified as a "distressed city" for the first time since the 1980s. Anyone know more?

These same contacts are saying there is quite a buzz to have Mayor Reed removed from office....

Any updates would be great. Thanks.
After all the good things that Reed did for the city it would be a shame if the incinerator brought the mayor down. Harrisburg finances are fine besides the incinerator fiasco. They need to spend the money to get it on track and generating money. I was dissappointed to find out that they didn't plan on fixing the steam line to NRG which for the amount of money it would have cost would have been a good cash stream.

Whatever it takes to get it fixed needs to be done!!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 2:27 PM

Young Gun...

run for Mayor! I'll be your publicisit (that is what I do here in Ft. Laud) ---- we can jump start the progress and encourage businesses to invest in harrisburg ---- improve the skyline ---- expand restaurant row ---- and work with the state and penn dot to speed up expansion of the beltway.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 3:38 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
run for Mayor! I'll be your publicisit (that is what I do here in Ft. Laud) ---- we can jump start the progress and encourage businesses to invest in harrisburg ---- improve the skyline ---- expand restaurant row ---- and work with the state and penn dot to speed up expansion of the beltway.
I think I am still a little young and inexpirenced for such a job, but they are all valid platforms. My tennant also works on political campaigns I think I'd have good support. A little low on the cash front for a campaign maybe. Anyone want to donate?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 3:51 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

This place is NEVER going to be redeveloped. The city has placed about a half dozen signs touting coming attractions at this site over the past decade or two and NONE of it has come to fruition. It's like it's haunted or something:

City seeks developer for historic Furlow Building
From Patriot-News staff reports, 11/27/07 9:46 AM EST
UPDATED: 11/27/07 10:27 AM EST

The city of Harrisburg is looking for a developer to purchase and rehabilitate the historic Furlow Building in midtown.

Requests for proposals have been issued for the former commercial and apartment building at 1218-1224 N. Third St., Mayor Stephen R. Reed said.

The six-story building, which is owned by the Harrisburg Redevelopment Authority, has been vacant since the early 1980s, the mayor said in a news release today.

The city is offering incentives for the six-story building including a 10-year tax abatement plan for improvements of more than $50,000 to pre-construction assessment, Reed said. The building also is eligible for federal historic tax credits, he said. It is in the Midtown National Historic District.

The 19,000-square-foot building is zoned commercial general. The first floor of 3,045 square feet is configured as retail space, while the second through sixth floors are apartments with each floor totaling 2,200 square feet.

The building, a midrise adaptation of the Second Renaissance Revival style, was built in 1908 to the design of Harrisburg architect Charles Howard Lloyd. The Susquehanna River is visible from the upper floors, the mayor said.

For further information, contact Kelly Whitman in the city’s Department of Building and Housing Development at 717-255-6480 or kwhitman@cityofhbg.com.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 5:20 PM

Update**

Despite the controversies surrounding the Harrisburg Authority and Mayor Reed - development and investment in Harrisburg's growing downtown continues.....

The proposed 19-story building with "sky bar" is still moving forward with groundbreaking expected in 2008...

...more details coming soon....

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 6:23 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:

Despite the controversies surrounding the Harrisburg Authority and Mayor Reed - development and investment in Harrisburg's growing downtown continues.....

The proposed 19-story building with "sky bar" is still moving forward with groundbreaking expected in 2008...

...more details coming soon....

How do you get all this behind the scene info. How did you meet everyone?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 6:56 PM

google
google
google
i love google

when i am bored, i google harrisburg news articles, and if the topic interests me, i google the people involved, find their email address, introduce myself, and ask questions.

sometimes they respond, sometimes they don't.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 7:39 PM

Bus business booming
Carlisle route adds service to capital
By Alex Roarty, Sentinel Reporter, November 27, 2007

Capital Area Transit has added a new early afternoon bus route from Harrisburg to Carlisle to respond to what company officials say is an increasing demand from Cumberland County residents for mass transit services.

CAT officials say ridership on the Harrisburg-to-Carlisle route was up 25 percent from October 2006 to October 2007. The Carlisle route is now the seventh-busiest of CAT’s 27 bus routes.

The new route should appeal to Carlisle riders who work in Harrisburg but don’t want to wait until 4 p.m. to return home, said Jim Hoffer, CAT’s executive director.

The service, which began Monday, operates Monday through Friday. It leaves Harrisburg at 3:35 p.m. and arrives at the Wal-Mart in Carlisle at 4:25 p.m. The bus returns to Harrisburg afterward, stopping at destinations along the Carlisle Pike.

CAT decided to add the route after receiving requests from riders and seeing the big increase in the number of riders using its services, Hoffer said.
Comment on this Story RSS Feed E-mail this story Print Version

He also cited the results of a recent poll commissioned by Commuter Services of South Central Pennsylvania that showed increasing demand from Cumberland County residents for mass transit services.

The poll, conducted by Susquehanna Polling & Research, found that 66 percent of Cumberland County residents support mass transit to relieve congestion — the highest percentage in the seven mid-state counties polled. Fifty-five percent of county residents also said they were very concerned about traffic congestion, the poll reported, with 36 percent saying they were somewhat concerned.

Nearly 75 percent of county residents also said they would like more express service, according to Hoffer.

“The citizens want more public transportation to alleviate traffic and environmental concerns,” he said. “And they’re worried about gas, which, of course, we are, too.”

Concerned about costs

The Susquehanna poll surveyed residents in Cumberland, Adams, Dauphin, York, Perry, Lancaster and Lebanon counties. It reported Cumberland County had the highest percentage of people who would change jobs to reduce commuting costs — 38 percent.

The poll also indicated that residents who are aware of CAT had an “overwhelmingly favorable opinion” of it.

Cumberland County Commissioner Rick Rovegno said he is pleased CAT is expanding its services.

“I’m very supportive of any expanded use of mass transit,” he said, adding it will allow the county to better leverage taxpayer dollars to implement its own transportation services.

A monthly pass for the route will cost $66, Hoffer said, or $2.30 for a one-way trip.

The new bus route, however, might not foreshadow further additions.

Hoffer said CAT is operating as many busses as it can — it runs 65. Any new permanent route would require another bus, so whether Cumberland County receives any additional service in the near future is unclear.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 10:18 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
After all the good things that Reed did for the city it would be a shame if the incinerator brought the mayor down. Harrisburg finances are fine besides the incinerator fiasco. They need to spend the money to get it on track and generating money. I was dissappointed to find out that they didn't plan on fixing the steam line to NRG which for the amount of money it would have cost would have been a good cash stream.

Whatever it takes to get it fixed needs to be done!!!
Young Gun, unfortunately, the city's finances are FAR from fine. Check on the city's budget for things like snow removal, salaries and pensions, etc., and you will be very surprised. I'd hate to see HBG become distressed once again (I lived in the city at that time and it was NOT fun *shudder*) but the HBG of today is a whole different animal, and I doubt it would slip into the despair and utter hopelessness it did at that time. Honestly, it may be what the city needs, as I think there is a requirement in there that if they apply and are approved an outside agency (I am guessing this would be the state) comes in and takes a look at things and helps try to get it back on track.

And like I've said many times in the past, I will never downplay all that Reed has done for the city. But IMO it is time for him to go, and let's get some new (and much more realistic/logical) ideas in that office!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 4:45 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Young Gun, unfortunately, the city's finances are FAR from fine. Check on the city's budget for things like snow removal, salaries and pensions, etc., and you will be very surprised. I'd hate to see HBG become distressed once again (I lived in the city at that time and it was NOT fun *shudder*) but the HBG of today is a whole different animal, and I doubt it would slip into the despair and utter hopelessness it did at that time. Honestly, it may be what the city needs, as I think there is a requirement in there that if they apply and are approved an outside agency (I am guessing this would be the state) comes in and takes a look at things and helps try to get it back on track.

And like I've said many times in the past, I will never downplay all that Reed has done for the city. But IMO it is time for him to go, and let's get some new (and much more realistic/logical) ideas in that office!

I was basically going with what the budget came up short last year and what the incinerator cost, and was seeing it breaking even, but you are right. Snow removal sucks I could bearly get out of town on some days. over a week after snowfall. I don't think Reed will survive another election, but then his canidates faired pretty well for council so I don't know.

well I could expound more, God knows I'm a talker, but it is bed time

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 2:21 PM

Harrisburg 2008 Budget

Harrisburg budget boosts police, not taxes
by JOHN LUCIEW / Of The Patriot-News, 11/27/07 8:44 PM EST
UPDATED: 11/28/07 8:15 AM EST

The number of Harrisburg police officers would grow, but property taxes wouldn’t increase under a 2008 budget unveiled Tuesday night by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.

“This budget begins to restore various city agencies from the budget cuts they suffered over the last four years,” Reed told City Council, which will hold hearings on the budget next month.

The budget calls for adding 15 police officers, bringing the city’s force to 173 officers by spring.

Officers also would be riding in new patrol vehicles, as the city long known for its high-mileage cop cars is purchasing 53 new police vehicles, consisting of 19 marked and 17 unmarked cars, 13 four-wheel drive units and four vans, Reed said.

Also being added are seven firefighters, including three new positions, along with several more hires across the city’s public works departments, Reed said.

The budget stands in stark contrast to last year’s spending plan, which was beset by a $13.8 million deficit and led to 32 staff layoffs and a 17 percent real estate tax hike for property owners.

But Reed said Harrisburg’s public services had been cut too close to the bone for too long, with dozens of vacancies going unfilled for years.

“If a crime is being reported, it requires a police officer to respond,” Reed said.

“If there’s a fire, it takes trained firefighters to respond. To remove litter and debris from the streets, it takes a street-sweeper operated by its driver. ... Reduced staff compromises the ability to timely act on the daily and long-term needs of our citizens.”

Despite the increases in services, Harrisburg’s general fund budget, the portion of the city’s overall $111.27 million spending plan that funds city services, is down $975,393, or 1.6 percent, from 2007’s $58.76 million budget.

Reed cited a laundry list of cost controls he has implemented in recent years, including savings on certain insurance costs, reductions in overtime and stabilization of certain energy prices.

Perhaps the biggest difference is the city will not have to pick up the tab for any deficits rung up by its poor-performing trash incinerator in 2008.

In fact, the incinerator is no longer listed as one of the funds making up the overall city budget.

With a $30 million “working capital” financing soon to be in place for the incinerator, the Harrisburg Authority, the city’s utility agency, will have the money to cover the incinerator’s expenses and debt payments through next year while the plant is fixed.

As a result, Harrisburg will not face the multi-million bond payments that fell to the city when the authority did not have the money to pay.

Last year alone, Harrisburg picked up the tab for more than $4 million in bond payments, which will be reimbursed when the $30 million borrowing closes in December.

Reed said that the $13.3 million sale of the Harrisburg Senators minor league baseball club allowed the city to retire millions in debt, leading to significantly lower payments.

“I think it’s a relief for the taxpayers of the City of Harrisburg to know that the majority of the hard fiscal issues and stress are behind us,” Reed said.

The owner of a house assessed at $100,000 will continue to pay $1,010 annually in city taxes.

Dauphin County and city school district taxes are separate.

However, City Council has approved a $14.50 monthly increase in city trash rates, which rise to $32.32 a month in January.

The increase will be reflected in residents’ combined monthly utility bills for water, sewer and trash.

City Council, which did not comment on the budget at Tuesday’s meeting, scheduled public hearings for 5:05 p.m. Dec. 10 in City Hall.

THE BOTTOM LINE

n Harrisburg’s combined levy on land and improvements would not change in 2008 under terms of the budget presented Tuesday night by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.

n The owner of a house assessed at $100,000 would continue to pay $1,010 annually in city taxes, based on a millage rate of 10.1 mills. A mill equals $1 per $1,000 of assessed value.

n Dauphin County and city school district taxes are separate.

JOHN LUCIEW: 717-255-8171 or jluciew@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 2:31 PM
Man on a mission

I came here to post that. It doesn't look like the city is destressed. I think it supports my hypothesis that the incinerator is the major drag on the city. It is time that the city stops subsidizing the surrounding communities. They continuely ditch on the quality of Harrisburg, but handicap it from getting better.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 3:07 PM

agreed

according to this article, and the budget for '08, i'd say Harrisburg seems far from "distressed," and this should help any hesiatation about investing in Harrisburg's downtown. this should also help mayor reed...

now...where were we? ah, yes, new buildings, etc.

young gun, any new pics on the horizon???

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 3:36 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
according to this article, and the budget for '08, i'd say Harrisburg seems far from "distressed," and this should help any hesiatation about investing in Harrisburg's downtown. this should also help mayor reed...

now...where were we? ah, yes, new buildings, etc.

young gun, any new pics on the horizon???
Maybe I am not sure. The gf is in town this weekend so I probably won't have much time to walk around. But when I do I want to get some good photos of the judicial building, Prephotos of Tracey Manor construction. Some photos of UT. I discovered I have 4 days of vacation left besides Christmas Break so I might potentially take off this Friday.

Speaking of budget. The only city service I feel I could complain about is snow removal, but with the shear number of cars that are on the streets it is impossible to remove the snow in an efficient manner. Maybe when it is snowing the parking garages should be opened overnight for the city to plow and remove the snow? Ticket (severly) or tow any car left on the street? Make everyone remove their cars by 7am? Most of the DT garages are empty overnight. My daily schedule is shot anyhow when it snows. If I don't get the stuff of my sidewalks before business open it is hopelessly packed by the time I get home.

Last edited by Young Gun; Nov 28, 2007 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 4:07 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Maybe when it is snowing the parking garages should be opened overnight for the city to plow and remove the snow? Ticket (severly) or tow any car left on the street? Make everyone remove their cars by 7am? Most of the DT garages are empty overnight.
They've done that in the past but only during severe snow (like '93-'94 and '95-'96 winters). I think they have to declare a "snow emergency" for it to happen. I also wish they'd do it more often.

We had a great system on our block. We had a generous business owner who would allow us to park in his lot prior to the snow; the plows would do their thing pretty early and we'd have nice clean parking areas.

Many of us either worked in town or were retired, so most of the cars just sat until the snow melted enough that residents from other blocks weren't bogarting our spaces.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations