HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
There's also the Namerind lot right on 11th. I swear city council is here to make life the worst for residents. I actually did a lot of research on candidates last election and thought I was making reasonable choices.

It seems like what goes on in the city is way deeper than council itself.
I agree. This city has a long history of corrupt landowners.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 8:41 PM

Next we're going to find out that due to bridge work on Albert and Broad, Wascana Park will be closed for two years to store concrete.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 9:06 PM

I've seen some videos on youtube about amazing construction projects in Europe with no onsite storage so everything is brought it as it is needed. The construction industry is awful here, though the government only has itself to blame by not requiring modern techniques are part of the tendering process.

One particular area is foamed asphalt. Everyone is big on the environment, foamed asphalt saves a ton of energy, but the builder just stick with their ancient asphalt plants. I think the only time foamed asphalt was used in this province is when a european company built the bypass.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 11:09 PM

One small construction update. The house on Riverbend Cove that had been boarded up partially built since 2016 has been sold and is being finished.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
The “temporary” Harvard Developments Agriculture Place parking lot at 1755 Hamilton Street would be a good spot to store stuff.
You guys know that is was in fact temporary and the owner has been barred from having a parking lot there fore years? Right?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
The interesting this about the plaza was that it was supposed to be open to traffic and was designed with that in mind. The weird set up they have now (which is far more confusing to traffic and pedestrians) was because people pushed for it to be pedestrian-only. If they want to open Scarth St to traffic then okay, but it needs to be thought out and not an afterthought like the plaza was.
No, we need to stop saying it's OK to open traffic. It's completely and utterly unacceptable.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
You guys know that is was in fact temporary and the owner has been barred from having a parking lot there fore years? Right?
How many years? I wonder who the owner is and why they haven’t built anything.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I believe they tried to extend the permit but were refused, partially because they did not comply with the temporary permit (landscaping, fencing, etc.). This had nothing to do with Harvard except that they leased it while Tower 3 was being constructed. I drove by there this am and it is indeed empty.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Interesting. I do not believe their concerns will be as pronounced in Regina. Paris has incredibly congested streets and sidewalks. Many bicycles, pedestrians and of course cars, going all the time. Add in all the street cafes and loads of stupid tourists and you have a prescription for disaster.

Regina has almost none of these issues. Maybe we can get a deal on a second hand scooter systerm!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Interesting. I do not believe their concerns will be as pronounced in Regina. Paris has incredibly congested streets and sidewalks. Many bicycles, pedestrians and of course cars, going all the time. Add in all the street cafes and loads of stupid tourists and you have a prescription for disaster.

Regina has almost none of these issues. Maybe we can get a deal on a second hand scooter systerm!
Yeah, Regina, who currently doesn’t really have a good transit system, nor a subway will be a different situation. And 1000% less congested lol. Hopefully they can learn from some of the issues and possibly refine for the Regina market.

I would also really love a bicycle rental company operating in Regina too.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Regina… learn from others mistakes…
You mean repeat others' mistakes!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 9:55 PM

Quote:

I walked to Cathedral through downtown from the warehouse district and back on Thursday, and again on Saturday afternoon.

I was the only person I saw walking as a mode of transportation. No one cycling either.

We've got a ways to go.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 5:35 PM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
I walked to Cathedral through downtown from the warehouse district and back on Thursday, and again on Saturday afternoon.

I was the only person I saw walking as a mode of transportation. No one cycling either.

We've got a ways to go.

It also doesn't help that are sidewalks are never properly cleared so it makes walking, especially for older people, more dangerous.
Also especially at this time of year when it's warm enough to melt snow, sidewalks get wet, freezes at night, turns into dangerous slippery ice the next day.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 5:45 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin View Post
It also doesn't help that are sidewalks are never properly cleared so it makes walking, especially for older people, more dangerous.
Also especially at this time of year when it's warm enough to melt snow, sidewalks get wet, freezes at night, turns into dangerous slippery ice the next day.
This is generally just a wait out the month kind of period.

People can clean their sidewalks all they want, but the city in the residential areas will plow once, covering a third of the sidewalk and making the intersections impossible to navigate even if people do clear the sidewalks.

There isn't a single point of failure that can be addressed really.

After the snow on Sunday and Monday the city hasn't sanded the street near me that is a bus route and it was all shiny and icy and snowy this morning. So the city is just hoping for it to melt instead of making it safer.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 7:39 PM

Quote:

I love how we are pulling from Paris...Meanwhile its wildly used and successful in other cities across North America...

You can always find somewhere that something doesn't work. It boggles my mind how we should literally having nothing new and innovative because it doesn't work here or there, instead of looking at how to make it a successful model here. I for one would love to be able to hop on a scooter when the weather is right as I can't justify the cost of one for the infrequency I would use it, but short hops or a summer evening activity. I've had a blast the few times I've used them in Calgary in the summer.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
This is generally just a wait out the month kind of period.
I've been riding every day lately, but since Sunday has been quite nasty. My bike needed a thorough cleaning Sun/Mon and a good wipe down today. Even the cleaning itself causes problems, like brakes freezing. Every ride for the past few weeks I've had to break a few pounds of accumulated ice off the bike because the Sun melts the ice on the road when the temperature is well below freezing. https://imgur.com/a/7uD1Va3

From the look of the forecast I think most of the snow will be gone by next Friday.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 11:18 PM
Project manger

Regina city council approves downtown arena

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
Regina city council approves downtown arena

Not sure what your post means?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho111 View Post
I've been riding every day lately, but since Sunday has been quite nasty. My bike needed a thorough cleaning Sun/Mon and a good wipe down today. Even the cleaning itself causes problems, like brakes freezing. Every ride for the past few weeks I've had to break a few pounds of accumulated ice off the bike because the Sun melts the ice on the road when the temperature is well below freezing. https://imgur.com/a/7uD1Va3

From the look of the forecast I think most of the snow will be gone by next Friday.
That's impressive! I can't get motivated to bike in this weather. Never seen ice form while riding like that. Do you have issues with grit getting into everything?

Last edited by cityboy; Apr 5, 2023 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
That's impressive! I can't get motivated to bike in this weather. Never seen ice form whileriding like that. Do you have issues with grit getting into everything?
Sand is more of an issue when it's wet and warmer. When the ice builds up like that it seems to lock everything together and leaves the bike kind of clean when broken off.

This time of year there is a lot more salt on the road so if I don't wipe down the chain and add more oil after a wet ride there will be seized links the next day. Rust is really fast.

For cleaning I take one of those 1 gallon hand pump chemical sprayers and fill it with hot water and spray the bike off outside.

I have a bag on the back of my bike that acts as a partial fender. Riding without fenders or spray guards this time of year you'll end up as dirty as the bike.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan