HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 3:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Oh boy, Deacon’s Corner seems to straddle 3 zones, so the depth can be anywhere from 40 ft (12 m) to 100 ft (30 m).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 4:29 PM

Don't need to go to bedrock. Especially for a roadway bridge. Spread footing is fine.

Just as I was looking over the BRT drawings. Some of the rail caisson are over 20m long. Rock socketed into the limestone.

Limestone bedrock layer over precambrian granite.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 9:29 PM

The idea of an RCUT intersection at Carberry would be easiest and more feasible. I believe that a roundabout would not work well on Hwy 1. An RCUT intersection should be used more on the TCH in Manitoba.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 9:42 PM
the first stamp is free

If the option is traffic lights or a roundabout - I'll take the roundabout all day long. The goal should be keeping traffic free flowing. Even if it's slowing to 80kmph on the curves.

Interchanges are never going to happen, so big beautiful roundabouts for everyone!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 9:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
If the option is traffic lights or a roundabout - I'll take the roundabout all day long. The goal should be keeping traffic free flowing. Even if it's slowing to 80kmph on the curves.

Interchanges are never going to happen, so big beautiful roundabouts for everyone!
Technically, if M.I.T. knows how to futureproof things, it’s still possible to retrofit interchanges at roundabouts even if that means left-hand exits and merges.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 10:06 PM

Roundabouts. Give me a break.

Provide your input to the North Perimeter study here:
https://engagemb.ca/pth101

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 10:49 PM
the first stamp is free

^ interchanges are pie in the sky in Manitoba.

So realistically, choose your poison - roundabout or traffic lights.

To me, it's a no brainer.

I honestly don't know why there is such a adverse reaction to roundabouts. They work, and in a highway scenario, I would assume the radius will be large enough to allow for a decent speed limit.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 11:02 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:

I honestly don't know why there is such a adverse reaction to roundabouts. They work, and in a highway scenario, I would assume the radius will be large enough to allow for a decent speed limit.
What's AADT like on PTH-101 compared to, for example, AADT on TCH around PTH-16?
If the former's a lot higher, roundabouts may not work as well. An example is the traffic circle of Wheeler Boulevard in Moncton, N.B.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I just........I have no words. How embarrassing.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 11:08 PM

Quote:

People barely know how to properly use round abouts in the City, never mind at pseudo highway speeds. I don't like em, but that's my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
What's AADT like on PTH-101 compared to, for example, AADT on TCH around PTH-16?
If the former's a lot higher, roundabouts may not work as well. An example is the traffic circle of Wheeler Boulevard in Moncton, N.B.
PTH 101 is 20-30k at the worst location.

PTH 1/16 is around 13k.

PTH 1/5 at Carberry is around 8k.

Traffic map is here:
https://www.gov.mb.ca/mti/traffic/pdf/flowmap2019.pdf

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 12:34 AM

Quote:
People barely know how to properly use round abouts in the City, never mind at pseudo highway speeds. I don't like em, but that's my opinion.
I agree, especially with fast highways. RCUT are the best.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 1:50 AM

Quote:
I believe roundabouts would be appropriate for highway junctions like at PTHs 2 and 3, two two-lane highways where it's expected to have drivers slow down more often than twinned highways. When highways are already twinned then no, roundabouts and those Draconian-looking, death-trap RCUT things are not. Just my opinion, of course.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
I believe roundabouts would be appropriate for highway junctions like at PTHs 2 and 3, two two-lane highways where it's expected to have drivers slow down more often than twinned highways. When highways are already twinned then no, roundabouts and those Draconian-looking, death-trap RCUT things are not. Just my opinion, of course.
RCUT should be the new go to

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 3:54 AM

IMO, Roundabouts aren't awful IMO, but it's not made for such busy highways like TCH. It's designed more for minor city streets and rural highways intersecting. On highways like TCH, it should either be traffic light, RCUT, or ultimately an interchange.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post
IMO, Roundabouts aren't awful IMO, but it's not made for such busy highways like TCH. It's designed more for minor city streets and rural highways intersecting. On highways like TCH, it should either be traffic light, RCUT, or ultimately an interchange.
If they're big enough, based on speed and velocity, they'd work just fine.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 11:50 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
If they're big enough, based on speed and velocity, they'd work just fine.
I don’t doubt that. However, at that point, it takes up so much space that one may as well build an interchange.
Or the roundabout’s so wide that it’s possible to build a 6-lane overpass for the through traffic over the roundabout.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 2:13 PM

We have round about type features in Birds Hill Park and Grand Beach. They work well there I suppose. That one example in Monction is large radius. The Rcut thing basically acts the same as the roundabout, with the Uturn being the circle part just squished flat.

My opinion looks like crap. Leave the intersection as is. Yes there was tragic accident. It's happened once. It could happen at any point on the road network. So they might as well install roundabouts everywhere if there sufficient. To me it's not the solution, just a knee jerk at one location that something bad happened. Anything at this point is knee jerk for optics really.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 3:00 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post

This roundabout is approximately 400m in diameter. The speed going into it is 60 km/h. I just posted this as a talking point.

I don't like the idea of roundabouts on a 110 km/h multi-lane hwy. I really don't understand at all why every interchange in Manitoba has to cost $100m. It doesn't make sense. The ones on the Perimeter (St Mary's, Hwy 3) include a ton of associated roadworks which eat up at least 50% of the price.

For something like 1&5, why can't they build a bare bones, small diamond like the ones on I-29? No fancy road realignments. just build the overpass and some ramps. Way safer, and I would guarantee be under $50m.....build two per year along the Trans-Canada.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 3:16 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

^ The diameter is 800 m then.
For comparison, the Parclo interchange on 8 lanes of TCH near my hood only takes up 550 m.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan