HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 7:57 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
How about Nordiques for the team in Quebec City?
I think the Avalanche still own that name.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 7:58 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Vegas and Quebec City will have arenas ready to go, but there's no way Seattle would have an arena ready unless an arena plan is set in motion right quick.

If I were commissioner (which I'm not) I would take Portland over a 2nd Toronto team. We need a Pacific NW rivalry to replace the pathetic Alberta teams.
Bring back the old (ancient) Millionaires-Metropolitans rivalry!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 8:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I think the Avalanche still own that name.
Really? I'd still be willing to bet 1000000000000000000000 dollars that if the NHL returns to Quebec City that the team will be called the Nordiques.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 8:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

How about Patriotes for a QC team name?

As for the second Toronto team, how about the Markham Maple Leafs? The name could be ported over from the existing Toronto franchise, with the downtown team renamed the Toronto Perpetual Losers.......

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 8:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Fact check: the Nordiques name belongs to the NHL, not the Avalanche.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Vegas and Quebec City will have arenas ready to go, but there's no way Seattle would have an arena ready unless an arena plan is set in motion right quick.

If I were commissioner (which I'm not) I would take Portland over a 2nd Toronto team. We need a Pacific NW rivalry to replace the pathetic Alberta teams.
or better yet a Saskatoon team in the newly renamed Sasktel Centre (not to be confused with Sasktel Sports Soccer Centre), Saskatchewan seems to have a habit of backing a provincial sports team on mass & would bolster a rivalry on the Prairies with the Jets, Oilers & Flamers

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 9:24 PM
ハルウララ

If there's a team in QC it's going to be called the Nordiques; that's just a fact.

Personally I would prefer two teams relocating (Phoenix -> Las Vegas; Florida-> Quebec) whilst have two new expansions (Seattle & Toronto 2). Whether the second Toronto team plays at ACC is totally up for debate, but it would be interesting to see what kind of role MLSE would have in all of that. A Seattle/Vancouver rivalry would be fantastic.

It's smart from the NHL's perspective. By moving to Quebec you're pleasing those fans/pandering to Canadians who will still hate Bettman regardless. Las Vegas puts you into the realm of sports betting by becoming the first to move there. On the 100th anniversary of the NHL you expand to Seattle and Toronto, two long-time and historic cities for the NHL. Seattle Mets, here we come!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 9:54 PM

If the Toronto market gets another team I would really, really prefer for it not to be at the ACC. Stick it in the Coliseum in Hamilton for all I care, just please not at the ACC.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:47 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
If the Toronto market gets another team I would really, really prefer for it not to be at the ACC. Stick it in the Coliseum in Hamilton for all I care, just please not at the ACC.
I don't think the ACC could accommodate another NHL club. The ACC already hosts the Leafs, Raptors, Rock, and tons of one off events. I'd rather Hamilton got the next southern Ontario team as well. Put a 3rd team in York Region, but Hamilton has to come first.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:55 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
From CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...orts-1.2748166

CBC is talking about four new NHL teams by 2017-18
- Seattle
- Las Vegas
- Quebec City
- Toronto
I have a hard time taking Vegas seriously as a host city for any sports franchise. I know it's more than just a gambling town and now home to 2 million people, but still.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 10:57 AM
BANNED

Las vegas qould be a coyotes 2 only withway more corruption.

Seattle has no arena.

MLSE won't allow competition in Toronto.

QC is just too small, with no signs that it'd ever being a growing market.

Winnipeg had the advantage of shuring up a western cofference that is way to spread out.

Not to mention western canadas juggernaut growth

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 12:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

For the love of God, b'ys... get it together.

Avalon East league turns thumbs down on expansion

Quote:
A decision by the executive committee of the Avalon East senior hockey league to reject all applications for new teams for the 2014-15 season is being met with disappointment and anger in Conception Bay North.

It’s been learned that during a meeting on Tuesday, the executive decided that a four-team format will continue for the upcoming season, with teams based in Bell Island, Torbay, St. John’s and in Mobile on the Southern Shore.

The decision likely leaves two well-known teams — the CeeBee Stars of Harbour Grace and the Mount Pearl Blades — without a league to play in this season.

An effort by hockey enthusiasts in the Whitbourne area to enter a team in the league also appears to have fallen short.

The circumstance was created in June after the six-team Newfoundland Senior Hockey League was disbanded, and four teams — Clarenville, Gander, Grand Falls-Windsor and Corner Brook/Deer Lake — were given the green light by Hockey Newfoundland and Labrador to establish a central-west league, which will begin play this fall.

This left the CeeBees and the Blades in the wilderness.

For many, the decision does not come as a surprise. The CeeBees and the Blades bolted from the Avalon East league several years ago to join the upstart provincial league, and the break-up wasn’t pretty.
http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/20...on-expansion/1

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post

Seattle has no arena.

Winnipeg had the advantage of shuring up a western cofference that is way to spread out.

Not exactly true. I would say that Seattle does not have a first class arena. But with Chris Hansen ready to put his dollars down on a new SoDo basketball/hockey arena, and viable potential partners like Victor Coleman interested in the hockey ownership side, the likelihood of a new facility in Seattle is quite strong.

If the hockey ownership issue can be nailed down, and Hansen can be reasonably confident of an NBA team (either via relocation or expansion) coming in the near future, he'd probably be willing to break ground on the arena. If so, the Seattle team could play in Key Arena for a season or two.

The natural rivalry with Vancouver makes the Seattle franchise, along with Quebec City, the two "slam dunks" of any near-term NHL expansion. To create the balance, the league would have to move Detroit back to the West.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 4:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
Not exactly true. I would say that Seattle does not have a first class arena. But with Chris Hansen ready to put his dollars down on a new SoDo basketball/hockey arena, and viable potential partners like Victor Coleman interested in the hockey ownership side, the likelihood of a new facility in Seattle is quite strong.

If the hockey ownership issue can be nailed down, and Hansen can be reasonably confident of an NBA team (either via relocation or expansion) coming in the near future, he'd probably be willing to break ground on the arena. If so, the Seattle team could play in Key Arena for a season or two.

The natural rivalry with Vancouver makes the Seattle franchise, along with Quebec City, the two "slam dunks" of any near-term NHL expansion. To create the balance, the league would have to move Detroit back to the West.
Don't get me wrong, I think Seattle portland, should of been done 25 years ago.

It's absolutely shocking that they have skipped over a rather hockey relevant portion of the USA, to develop hockey as a fringe sport in the south.

However I think Seattle risks being an over saturated market if the NHL is the fifth league to come to seattle.

IF they Came before the NBA and MLS no issue, but both of those directly impair the nhl to get a solid fanbase.

Along with Kansas city, SLC, and Oklahoma city, these were the biggest mistakes of bettman..

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 10:16 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
It's absolutely shocking that they have skipped over a rather hockey relevant portion of the USA, to develop hockey as a fringe sport in the south
NHL expansion skipped PacNW in favour of the south solely due to seeking a national television deal, which they acquired with NBC. This is more lucrative for the NHL.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
NHL expansion skipped PacNW in favour of the south solely due to seeking a national television deal, which they acquired with NBC. This is more lucrative for the NHL.
Bingo. It's the same reason the league fought to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix as long as they did. Phoenix is something like the 5th largest US tv market, losing that right before a deal was signed would have been huge.

But if the new owners can't make it work, they will relocate because there won't be any ownership willing to take over a perennial money loser of that magnitude. At some point simple economics has to take over (although 20 years in, maybe I'm wrong).

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 10:31 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
Bingo. It's the same reason the league fought to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix as long as they did. Phoenix is something like the 5th largest US tv market, losing that right before a deal was signed would have been huge.

But if the new owners can't make it work, they will relocate because there won't be any ownership willing to take over a perennial money loser of that magnitude. At some point simple economics has to take over (although 20 years in, maybe I'm wrong).
Indeed. In a perfect world the NHL would relocate the Coyotes to Vegas, killing two birds with one stone.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 6:08 AM
Go Chiefs!

What an amazing evening of tennis. Raonic and Bouchard advance to the third round.

Speaking of Bouchard, she made the cover of the NY Times magazine and already US Open organizers put her primetime in the biggest tennis stadium in the World.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 6:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Indeed. In a perfect world the NHL would relocate the Coyotes to Vegas, killing two birds with one stone.
Either there or Seattle, which is why expansion seems super unlikely.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 6:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Seattle has no arena.

Apparently these rumors have weight.

Seattle is obviously a marquee city for the league getting big american tv contracts, although nothing is in place to make it happen.

Las Vegas which may be the wrong place does apparently has money on the table and in action.

Quebec of course is begging for a team.

Toronto is typically bound by the leafs, however with the team being owned by two competing business interests this might represent a possible split. A unique situation that everyone could gain from.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada