Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 4:53 PM

Interesting little interview with the guy that finished Phase 2 of Edison:

https://www.multihousingnews.com/a-s...f-uncertainty/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 9:09 PM
Modulator

Found this on LoopNet.

LoopNet: https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1121...x-AZ/31877258/
Marketing Brochure: https://www.loopnet.com/viewer/pdf?f...chureFlyer.pdf

The brochure indicates it's located at Pemberton House, but I believe it's actually the adjacent parking lot to the north. I haven't seen this on LoopNet before. The map in the brochure has recent developments and there is a new Kiva recently for the Pemberton Lofts Mixed Use project. So this appears to be something new proposed.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:20 PM

So When I heard they were expanding the CBD I was excited and then I see this:

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/...=534&h=696&m=6

I really think our city leaders are mentally deficient. Why would you not expand it up central?

Why woudl you expand the CBD into a residential neighborhood, the Ghetto and an industrial dead zone?

Wtf?

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I really think our city leaders are mentally deficient. Why would you not expand it up central?

Why woudl you expand the CBD into a residential neighborhood, the Ghetto and an industrial dead zone?

Wtf?
The state legislature passed a law limiting cities' ability to gerrymander their CBDs a few years back. Among the requirements are that the CBD must be "compact," can't be more than 2.5% of total city area, and can't be more than twice as long as it is wide. So they likely could not, for instance, have expanded it all the way north to Camelback.

With that said, the original proposal was to expand it to be a cohesive rectangle, from Thomas down to Broadway, and 23rd Ave over to 7th St. After that was proposed back in February-ish, it appears the interested parties got their hooks in a chopped it up. My assumption is Willo/Encanto/Coronado opposed, and the council didn't have the juice to fight them (but that is an assumption).

The CBD designation is mostly expanding the council's ability to give GPLETs and things to developments, and I imagine expanding development south will be easier than expanding north. I also like the idea of eventually expanding down to the river. But that has been an option for decades and hasn't happened, so you're probably right that the long-term problems with developing that direction aren't going to be fixed by this.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:39 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I also like the idea of eventually expanding down to the river. But that has been an option for decades and hasn't happened, so you're probably right that the long-term problems with developing that direction aren't going to be fixed by this.
The new boundaries go down to Broadway, which is south of the Rio Salado.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The new boundaries go down to Broadway, which is south of the Rio Salado.
I remember this council meeting. The rationale with going this setup is the north (midtown/uptown) does not need the help, they're developing in spite of the lack of special designation and it's already filling up. This area south of the current CBD has nothing and extending the CBD there would allow them to use incentives to promote development.

I remember they were trying to figure out a way to have it go up to Encanto Park/Fairgrounds but the gerrymandering wouldn't allow it without also including the Encanto neighborhood which would've been a non-starter.

The Rio Salado was another one they were really intent on including. The 3rd street pedestrian bridge is seen as one of the catalysts that will bring life into the area. One of the designs they proposed had an amphitheater area on the approach to the bridge.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest