HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Did I miss this? What tower is this?

Edit: Oh wait, I think you are referring to this one: https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1-W-...x-AZ/29522580/

Old Posted Jul 7, 2024, 4:04 AM

I was in Austin recently and there skyline is so nice It's gotta be one of the top 10 best skylines easy in the USA, So sad we are like 4 times the size and cant even get a project like Astra built they got like 15 Astra like projects already up! That Block 185 building and the independent is so cool! We get lame 20 story brown building. We need more buildings like Central station just taller!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2024, 4:16 PM

^ simmering omnipresent shame is most definitely a part of being a Phoenix skyscraper fan. it's kinda like being a fan of the Arizona Cardinals

Old Posted Jul 7, 2024, 4:48 PM
Skyriser

And then you realize the pragmatic realities of height limits, risk, and demand: also known as growing up.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2024, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
And then you realize the pragmatic realities of height limits, risk, and demand: also known as growing up.
Don't take it personal and no need to be overly apologetic about Phoenix. higher height limits than we ever build. pretty weak design overall compared to other cities. No real civic pride to put pressure on developers. It's pretty sad indeed compared to cities like Nashville and Austin. But it's our city and we support it. But let's not kid ourselves here...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 1:29 AM

Skylines don’t matter, it’s pure vanity,

Did London or Paris become better cities when they built high rises?

Would Manhattan be any worse off if you couldn’t see above 5 floors?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

I'm not saying that at all. I am saying Phoenix is an underachiever. Not really debatable. But do I like our skyline for what it is? Yes.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 5:18 PM
Skyriser

No, it does perfectly fine for a city built on everything that's not urban unlike Nashville or Austin. A decades-old live music scene kind of depends on a city. I'd take Piestewa Peak or Camelback Mountain and Phoenix's live music scene over those hicks anyways if you want to talk about what 's in the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 5:28 PM

I think Phoenix excels in other areas that other major cities over look. I’m currently in Houston and while their skyline is miles better their infrastructure isn’t and their roads aren’t better. The fact that Phoenix is on a grid is a blessing. I like Phoenix’s highways, roads, and overall infrastructure more than some major cities I have been too. Phoenix is behind on their downtown but they certainly make it up in other areas.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 6:47 PM

Also is Austin a fair comparison? Similar to us, they're going through a high rise boom but for different reasons. Austin also has what can currently be considered the best looking skyline in TX despite being behind the big 3 in population.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
I'm not saying that at all. I am saying Phoenix is an underachiever. Not really debatable. But do I like our skyline for what it is? Yes.
So is LA, Dallas, Houston, ABQ, Tucson, San Diego, San Jose and countless post WW2 cities.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 1:01 AM

Quote:

Santa Fe has a much better downtown than Albuquerque with 1/10 the population and 0 skyline. Arguably better than downtown Phoenix too. Skyline is only one part of the equation.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
The irony of this reference is how many people in Austin will tell you the city is absolutely destroyed now, and the impressive skyline is one of the signs that Austin lost it's weirdness.

I used to work in Austin in the early 2000s, now it may as well be Seattle or San Francisco. It's chalk full of luxury apartment towers and trendy bars and restaurants. Cool? I guess... If you dig that just live in Scottsdale, it's the same vibe if you don't look up. Did it lose a lot of what made it interesting to begin with? 100%.

Are the buildings taller? Yeah. Are they really that unique or special? Maybe 1 or 2 but really, they're just taller boxes with an offset floor pattern or a different top. None of the new buildings are so unique that you know it's Austin just by seeing the building.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 2:38 PM
Modulator

Ya'll get bored when it's slow, don't ya?

Let's keep this thread focused on Phoenix development.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
The irony of this reference is how many people in Austin will tell you the city is absolutely destroyed now, and the impressive skyline is one of the signs that Austin lost it's weirdness.

I used to work in Austin in the early 2000s, now it may as well be Seattle or San Francisco. It's chalk full of luxury apartment towers and trendy bars and restaurants. Cool? I guess... If you dig that just live in Scottsdale, it's the same vibe if you don't look up. Did it lose a lot of what made it interesting to begin with? 100%.

Are the buildings taller? Yeah. Are they really that unique or special? Maybe 1 or 2 but really, they're just taller boxes with an offset floor pattern or a different top. None of the new buildings are so unique that you know it's Austin just by seeing the building.
I'm in total agreement. I'm also one of those former residents from way back in the 90's. The city priced out many artists who made Austin as unique as it was. Now it is a manufactured version of its former self. I still enjoy visiting, but it's just not the same. I understand this happens to many cities over time; however, the city just can't continue to market the 80's, 90s, or even 2000s version of itself now because it's just not there anymore.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 5:25 PM

[QUOTE=locolife;10241433]
./QUOTE]

Iv always thought Austin was overrated but I feel that way about a lot of places like NYC, Seattle and Denver.

Except for San Francsico, I love SF to bad they are kind of losing their minds at the moment, maybe we'll check back in 10 years and see if they've settled down over there.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 5:33 PM

Can Anyone Get this full article: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...k-gateway.html

Development along the 202? "A commercial developer is seeking to expand its Valley footprint with another industrial project proposed for a key infill site along the Loop 202 in Phoenix."

What cross streets? what Lot?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Can Anyone Get this full article: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...k-gateway.html

Development along the 202? "A commercial developer is seeking to expand its Valley footprint with another industrial project proposed for a key infill site along the Loop 202 in Phoenix."

It's the property immediately SE of the Mini-Stack Interchange.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:

Baker Development Corp. is looking to add to its Phoenix portfolio with a business park on a prime infill site.

The developer wants to build an approximately 130,000-square-foot development across three buildings along 24th Street and the Loop 202, just north of the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. The individual buildings comprise 12,000 square feet, 46,260 square feet and 72,200 square feet, respectively.

Through Berry Riddell LLC, the firm has applied for a general plan amendment and rezoning to allow for flexible industrial, warehouse, employment and showroom and retail uses. The project was presented at an informational Central Village Planning Committee meeting in May. A further hearing has not yet been scheduled by the city.

Called Phoenix Airpark Gateway, the 10-acre project has been proposed as an gateway into the residences south of the site.

"The proposed development will be the catalyst to transform this underutilized, vacant site to a start-of-the-art development which will create new jobs, generate tax revenue, enhance public safety by infilling the current unsightly vacant property, and enhance the overall aesthetic of the neighborhood all within a walkable urban-like setting," project documents said.

Along 24th Street, the development will feature commercial space for neighborhood-oriented retail and showroom space designed to attract pedestrians through landscaping, art, shade and more. The development will be inspired by Baker Development's existing VB|143 industrial project in Goodyear but it is not being envisioned as a space for large-scale distribution uses, project documents said.

Other companies involved include Butler Design Group as the architect, Hubbard Engineering as the engineer and Laskin & Associates as the landscape architect.

Baker Development paid $5.5 million for the site
Baker Development, which has offices in Chicago and Phoenix, acquired the site for $5.5 million in July 2022 from Vesta Real Estate LLC, according to Maricopa County land documents.

Recently, Baker Development received the final approval it needed from the city of Phoenix for the redevelopment of the former Motorola and Onsemi semiconductor campus near McDowell Road and 52nd Street.

The firm plans to demolish the remaining semiconductor campus site for a future corporate headquarters campus. The company previously said the property was being eyed by multiple companies and could accommodate about 2 million square feet of space.

Separately, it's also working on plans for two new industrial buildings totaling 70,000 square feet and 130,000 square feet in the Deer Valley submarket in Phoenix.

Metro Phoenix has the largest industrial pipeline in the country right now with nearly 40 million square feet of space underway in Q2 with a vacancy rate of 4.7%, according to a June 2024 Yardi Matrix report.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 9:15 PM

Major Confernce now coming to Phoenix every other year!

(Sorry for the MSN link its what I got) https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...776dd2dc&ei=18

Quote:
Semiconductor manufacturing is on a roll, and Arizona is grabbing a significant piece of that vital industry along with national recognition of its role.

The latest indication: A major industry trade show will be held in Phoenix on a rotating basis starting in 2025, after 50 consecutive years in San Francisco.

SEMICON West, North America’s premier microelectronics exhibition and conference, will also be held here in 2027 and 2029, the Arizona Commerce Authority announced. All three Arizona events will be held at the Phoenix Convention Center. The show, scheduled for October, could bring more than 10,000 attendees and hundreds of exhibitors.

The announcement is the latest in a string of successes for Arizona’s semiconductor industry, highlighted by a factory complex under construction in north Phoenix by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., the state’s largest private investment ever, and a sizable expansion of Intel’s complex in Chandler.

That’s in addition to numerous suppliers and related firms locating or expanding in the Phoenix area, including announcements by Amkor Technology, Applied Materials, EMD Electronics, Edwards Vacuum and Fujifilm Electronics Materials, in addition to enhanced workforce-training programs involving Arizona State University, the University of Arizona, Northern Arizona University, Maricopa Community Colleges and others.

Semiconductors are used in an increasing array of modern machinery and gadgets — everything from cars and cellphones to laptop computers, medical devices, power components and military weaponry.
The U.S. industry has been rejuvenated by passage of the CHIPS and Science Act in 2022, and Arizona has assumed a role of growing significance, landing 19 of the 83 new projects that were cited in a recent report by the Semiconductor Industry Association. The projects include new factories or “fabs” along with fab expansions and investments by suppliers.

The trade group, in conjunction with Boston Consulting Group, projects that the U.S. will triple its domestic manufacturing capability between 2022, when the CHIPS Act was enacted, and 2032. The industry association also estimates that global semiconductor sales this year will hit a record $611 billion.

In March, Intel received up to $8.5 billion in funding under the CHIPS Act to support the company’s $34.5 billion investment here, and TSMC received $6.6 billion in funding to spur its $65 billion Arizona investment, which is expected to create more than 6,000 jobs.

Since 2020, the Commerce Authority reports that the state has won more than 40 semiconductor expansions, representing over $102 billion in capital investment and more than 15,700 direct jobs. These projects encompass manufacturing, the advanced packaging of chips, research and development efforts, supply chain expansions and workforce development. The investments have mounted despite concerns over water and power availability, emissions and a sufficient supply of workers.

The Semiconductor Industry Association, in conjunction with Boston Consulting Group, projects that the U.S. will triple its domestic manufacturing capability between 2022, when the CHIPS Act was enacted, and 2032.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest