HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 7:09 PM

I believe 44 Monroe is 380 so this would beat it out by a foot

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 8:12 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
How tall is 44 Monroe? I know 44 Monroe is 34 stories but if this is 36 hopefully this is a new tallest residential tower?
44 Monroe is 380'. So yes, this could be a new tallest residential...even if only by 1 foot

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 11:46 PM
Chase M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroD View Post
Have we seen this rendering of 1st and Pierce?

https://www.realcrg.com/project/comi...se-multifamily

I wonder if this design could see a reduced parking podium and more residential floors due to the new parking minimums?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 12:19 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseM View Post
I wonder if this design could see a reduced parking podium and more residential floors due to the new parking minimums?
I certainly hope so. That podium undermines an otherwise attractive building. Unfortunately, even with the city taking limited measures to reduce parking minimums, a lot of lenders are slow to relax their own requirements.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 3:13 PM

I actually like the podium. I would love for it to be wrapped in LED advertisements.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 3:27 PM

Parking Podiums

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I actually like the podium. I would love for it to be wrapped in LED advertisements.
Agree and I just don't get the hate for parking podiums when they are covered with architectural design. People need automobiles especially in 112 degree heat and when I go downtown I like to be able to find a parking space on the street.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
44 Monroe is 380'. So yes, this could be a new tallest residential...even if only by 1 foot
If that is by any means on purpose, I love the competitive spirit.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Perhaps many years from now we will look back at this as the beginning of the great Phoenix skyscraper wars

it probably helps a lot with marketing to be able to claim the title of tallest residential tower in arizona. might as well take it if you're that close lol

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 8:14 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_daniel View Post
Perhaps many years from now we will look back at this as the beginning of the great Phoenix skyscraper wars

it probably helps a lot with marketing to be able to claim the title of tallest residential tower in arizona. might as well take it if you're that close lol
Parking podiums shouldn't count in height measurements. Deduct the floors allocated to the podium to determine the actual productive height of the building, and that becomes a meaningful basis of comparison.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 9:57 PM
Skyriser

Living right on top of a busy urban street is completely overrated for anyone over 25, and those are the only people that can afford these units for the most part. The people on the first residential floors might get a break from the noise when they're that high up and they won't rent at a big discount compared to higher up units.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 1:55 AM

Very true, people want to be higher up in a high rise anyway no matter the age group it would just be more aesthetically pleasing to have units down to the ground floor. So I was downtown for the Dbacks game today, went to Bad Jimmy’s before. The new tower at 1st and Pierce has all kinds of equipment and fencing for the other tower so idk when they are supposed to start building with that going on? And the Edith fencing On Adams has a porta potty, does that mean they are finally starting?lol

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 5:58 AM

I know this is a little off topic, but I wonder if anytime in the future there will be some developments on the SW corner of Monroe and 1st St. Also, that parking garage east of the Chase tower could use some redevelopment that incorporates parking for Chase and perhaps another skyscraper or 2? Another Block?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 7:06 AM
Skyriser

- The hotel is unlikely to demolish serviceable meeting space on the SWC of 1st St and Monroe unless it goes through a big expansion which is extremely unlikely anytime soon.

- Nothing major's going to happen to chase tower or its garage until the ridiculously inexperienced and in-over-their-head owner selects a development partner or sells. That isn't going to happen until they can assess the market after their very, very slow abatement that they appear to be financing out of pocket, and they don't seem in any rush. I don't know the economics or feasibility of saving or replacing or cutting chunks for redevelopment out of 50+ year old garages that aren't ADA compliant. The tower seems pretty ripe for a residential or hotel conversion however, but again there's no market for hotels.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 8:10 AM

Soooo, there’s nothing going on at Chase? Are they just acting like it with all the lights on? Anyone have any word on Edith?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 10:47 AM
Skyriser

They are slowly abating the tower last I checked as I wrote. That takes a very long time anyways, and the owner appears to be in no hurry

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 11:26 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
They are slowly abating the tower last I checked as I wrote. That takes a very long time anyways, and the owner appears to be in no hurry
No hurry and no plan as far as I can tell. The fencing is all around the base, and I see workers coming and going, but no one seems to know what's going to happen to the building.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 4:17 PM

Churchill owner aims to build 325-foot tower and market in downtown Phoenix

More updates on the proposed tower. This project sounds promising w/ the planned retail (hopefully with 100% frontage on Central)

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...t/74064258007/
Quote:
A planned high-rise tower in downtown Phoenix could bring a neighborhood market and a new restaurant from the operator of The Churchill.

Kell Duncan, founder of The Churchill, the downtown Phoenix restaurant, bar and retail venue made of shipping containers, bought the building at Central Avenue and Garfield Street in 2020 from Uhaul’s real estate arm, Amerco Real Estate. He had been aiming to buy the property for a while, and before he bought it, he had plans to rehabilitate the building as another venue for restaurants, bars and a market.

That plan was shelved during the pandemic, when Duncan focused his energy on keeping The Churchill functioning. Now, he has partnered with Mainstreet Capital Partners to develop an apartment building on the site, while keeping some of his ideas for the lower levels of the building.

While Duncan had hoped to rehab the old building, he said, that plan has changed. The existing building, a long derelict car shop, will be razed to make room for the new project, but some of the materials will be salvaged and incorporated into the new building.

The new project, Duncan said, will breathe some life into a downtown corner that has long sat vacant.

“That corner has been empty since the car shop closed, and even then that probably wasn’t the best use of that corner,” he said.

Seeking a height increase

Duncan and Mainstreet Capital are seeking a height bonus for the project from the city, which would allow them to build about 30% higher than is currently allowed by the zoning if they reach certain sustainability milestones. Those milestones can include creating a vertically mixed-use project, adding pedestrian safety features and amenities, using renewable energy and other sustainability features.

The Phoenix Planning Commission recommended approval of the height bonus at its meeting June 6, and the City Council is scheduled to discuss the project later this summer. Duncan said the team has not established a timeline for construction yet.

Mainstreet Capital will oversee the development and operations of the apartment portion, Duncan said. The tower is planned to reach 325 feet high and include about 273 apartment units, according to documents submitted to the city. Duncan will operate the restaurant, a bar space and a neighborhood-scale market that will sell produce and goods from local farms and suppliers.

A place for local produce and food

Duncan, whose father and brother run Duncan Family Farms in Goodyear, said his idea for a restaurant and a market sourcing high-quality, local foods comes from his background growing up in a farming family.

“I believe in local, fresh, organic produce, and unfortunately we don’t have a ton of options for that in downtown,” Duncan said.

The development will be a “step out and a step up,” for Duncan, he said. Being involved in a partnership on a high-rise, and operating his own restaurant, will both be new ventures for him.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
More updates on the proposed tower. This project sounds promising w/ the planned retail (hopefully with 100% frontage on Central)

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...t/74064258007/
Sounds all around very promising, from the local food options to being 325’ at this location. I’m going to try and frequent Churchill more regularly to show support.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 12:00 AM

Any renderings for the proposed Churchill project?

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFUEGO View Post
Any renderings for the proposed Churchill project?
Did some digging. Both articles mention Main street Capital and the property on the NE corner of Central/Garfield. This isn't the proposed project but this states they are seeking to build a project similar to this. I fully support a 300'+ tower that is closely designed like this.

"This rendering shows an example of the type of apartment towers that Mainstreet Capital Partners has proposed at one of its projects in Fort Lauderdale, Florida."

Source: https://media.bizj.us/view/img/12282...sky-view-2.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest