HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 8:08 PM
self-important urbanista

To be clear, Marketplace usually airs on NPR stations, but it's actually produced by its own separate organization, which you can hate as much as many of you appear to hate NPR if you want to.

I agree it was annoying hearing "golden triangle," which sounds like realtor terminology, without any specific location. I was also annoyed by Kai Ryssdal's repeatedly saying "Phoenix, Arizona." For large cities, you don't need to say the state unless necessary for disambiguation (e.g. Portland OR vs. Portland ME). There is no other Phoenix of significant size, so the nation's fifth largest city can be indentified just by its first name. We've come a long way since Steve Miller "went from Phoenix, Arizona, all the way to Tacoma" nearly half a century ago.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 7:50 PM

Was able to take a drive around downtown and I noticed a few new retail places opening or opened like dental offices, salons coffee shops etc. More general retail that will be in high demand as all of these apartments fill up.

It was good to see!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 1:41 PM
Skyriser

Saw this nifty little post on reddit with Downtown's tower cranes in view.

https://old.reddit.com/r/phoenix/com...ty_and_beyond/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Saw this nifty little post on reddit with Downtown's tower cranes in view.

https://old.reddit.com/r/phoenix/com...ty_and_beyond/
I do a double take every time I’m downtown there seems to be another crane up. Hopefully we can get something iconic built in the next cycle, doesn’t have to be massive just a unique “this is PHX” type of tower. Can’t be corny, doesn’t need to be a giant Saguaro or anything, maybe a PHX Rising somehow…

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 7:34 PM
Modulator

Manzana

Here ya'll go. Some updates on Manzana. It has grown quite a bit to 12 floors @137'

View the PAPP on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2d?usp=sharing

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 9:03 PM

I was already looking forward to this project and now the added height is a big bonus

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 9:41 PM

Idk I preferred the unique design of the first proposal

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 10:27 PM
Modulator

I'm sure we'll see a couple more changes along the way. Hopefully, they don't water it down any further.

Edit: I'm assuming you are referring to this design? https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=2394

Yea, that one is pretty crazy. They did change it up after that to the current design, but at just 7 floors. I still think the new design looks good and the added 5 floors is a bonus. Would be nice if they upped the floors even more before final build

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Jun 5, 2024 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Wrong URL

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 11:32 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I agree it was annoying hearing "golden triangle," which sounds like realtor terminology, without any specific location. I was also annoyed by Kai Ryssdal's repeatedly saying "Phoenix, Arizona." For large cities, you don't need to say the state unless necessary for disambiguation (e.g. Portland OR vs. Portland ME). There is no other Phoenix of significant size, so the nation's fifth largest city can be indentified just by its first name. We've come a long way since Steve Miller "went from Phoenix, Arizona, all the way to Tacoma" nearly half a century ago.
Hell, AP Style Book (any journalists still use those!?) says it's just "Phoenix."

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/subject_s.../ap_style.html

Always amused me that Cincinnati and Cleveland don't need the "OH" qualifier but Columbus does, even though it's been the largest city in the state for nearly four decades. Then again, there's multiple Columbuses (Columbii?)

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 11:37 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Hell, AP Style Book (any journalists still use those!?) says it's just "Phoenix."

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/subject_s.../ap_style.html

Always amused me that Cincinnati and Cleveland don't need the "OH" qualifier but Columbus does, even though it's been the largest city in the state for nearly four decades. Then again, there's multiple Columbuses (Columbii?)
That's a helpful link. I had no idea there was an official list somewhere. Columbus is probably an outlier to avoid confusion with Columbus, Georgia, which just happens to be right across the Chattahoochee River from Phenix City, Alabama.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 6:15 PM
E pluribus unum

Being the kind of dork that pays attention to that stuff, I remember it from the copy editing class I had to take in college as a journalism major. That was way back in 2004 and I still have my AP Style Guide lying around somewhere on a bookshelf.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
I worked at this church for a couple of years and left in May 2022. Before I left, the church was looking into developing a part of the property into affordable housing by way of a 30-story high-rise as well as developing a large parking structure that would be shared by the Phoenix Theater, Phoenix Art Museum, and the residents of the proposed high-rise. The housing would be for police officers, firemen/firewomen, other first responders, and teachers. The last time I spoke with the pastor in February, he said that they found a developer who plans to purchase a part of the property and build the high-rise. I don't know how far they are in that process nor do I know if they are sticking with the 30 floors.
Totally forgot about this past weekend's DVC Meeting, which had this discussion as an agenda topic. Was anyone able to attend and able to confirm what was heard/presented?
  • Central United Methodist Church Property, 1875 N Central Ave

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 6:00 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Totally forgot about this past weekend's DVC Meeting, which had this discussion as an agenda topic. Was anyone able to attend and able to confirm what was heard/presented?
  • Central United Methodist Church Property, 1875 N Central Ave
Yes, I attended. No one from the church itself was there, but one of the board members had been in contact with them. The message was that the church leadership had been inundated with opinions about what to do with the land and needed time to sort through everything while at the same time processing the sense of loss that the church is closing. There does not appear to be an imminent threat of demolition of the building but there is also no immediate plan for reuse.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 5:06 PM

Have we seen this rendering of 1st and Pierce?

https://www.realcrg.com/project/comi...se-multifamily

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 5:15 PM

The project (NWC of 1st & Pierce) has been posted before but I think this is the first time seeing an actual rendering. Looks pretty nice!

At 36 floors, that has to place it at over 400'.

Not sure how old that website is but said was supposed to breakground in mid-2024. I guess that's still possible? Also, this would go in the eastern half of the block, other side of The Ray correct?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 8:41 PM
Modulator

I think that's the first time I've seen this rendering. I don't see a 2024 groundbreaking happening though as Clayco is currently using the lot for construction staging for the Ray. Also, only a couple of permits have been submitted to the city so far.

I do think that this is one of the towers that Clayco is pretty sure about building. Maybe after they Ray is completed?

Edit: Just checked and that page was created on 1/01/2021. So it's been around for a while.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 9:23 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
The project (NWC of 1st & Pierce) has been posted before but I think this is the first time seeing an actual rendering. Looks pretty nice!

At 36 floors, that has to place it at over 400'.
Crested mentioned in the Vela/Ray thread that 1st & Pierce would be 381'. It would be nice if it pushed above 400'. We're getting closer and closer.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 9:31 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Crested mentioned in the Vela/Ray thread that 1st & Pierce would be 381'. It would be nice if it pushed above 400'. We're getting closer and closer.
Correct. I have in my notes it was originally proposed at 402'. But it got knocked down to the 381' on the last RR I pulled.

However, I wouldn't complain about a 381'er in that location either way

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 11:39 PM

Deleted

Last edited by azsunsurfer; Jun 14, 2024 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:58 PM

How tall is 44 Monroe? I know 44 Monroe is 34 stories but if this is 36 hopefully this is a new tallest residential tower?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest