HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Two Gilmore Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Maybe they need to move the pole on the slipway "island" for buses/trucks making that turn?
That's what I figure; On the northeast corner of Gilmore and Dawson the new curb ramp is much further north than where it was and in comparison to the northwest corner with the slip lane. If you follow it across Gilmore with a future crosswalk it basically ends up where the new curb ends. I imagine that they will be tearing out the porkchop but until then it's too awkward for the 28 to turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondoInvestor View Post
Another walkthrough video. How do the finishings compared to Solo District?
Oh no a Korean realtor marking to Koreans!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
Is it common for Chinese realtors to advertise their listings strictly in Chinese? Isn’t that extremely exclusive? It’s no wonder people think the BC real estate/housing industry is corrupt, no offence.
Asian buyers make up the majority of buyers in this master planned community

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Before statistics get misused in this thread, remember that Asian buyers make up the majority of Burnaby!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnaby#Demographics

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I'm guessing they just left it as is until they finish some changes on the intersection. Maybe they need to move the pole on the slipway "island" for buses/trucks making that turn?
Just an odd point to stop the new curb, even if temporary.
They even had to put cones, and I'm sure a turning truck will mount that curb.

Could be that someone from the movie studios realized that their truck access would be curtailed by a conventional corner
and the City is rethinking (but you'd think they'd access from Boundary)?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Before statistics get misused in this thread, remember that Asian buyers make up the majority of Burnaby!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnaby#Demographics
It doesn't really matter whether they're the majority of buyers or even the majority demorgaphic in Burnaby.

The original commentor had a point, in that Canada's official languages being English and French, the people putting up the ads should make the effort to ensure there's at least a translation in one of the official languages, even if you believe that most of your buyers will be Asian or Chinese origin.

I have no issue with them being in Chinese (or Korean or Japanese or whatever demographic you're primarily marketing to).

But they should ideally be dual language ads with an French or English translation (or ideally both).

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 10:47 PM

Aren't wealthy Chinese people with money from overseas basically the only ones that can afford to buy these condos? Doesn't seem to be much point even having advertisements in English at this point.

Just look at this guys YT channel, 30k subs no english. His video on Southgate City has 174k views lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaW8lidZkwA&t=240s

https://storeys.com/ledmac-burnaby-southgate-city-jade/

Quote:
"The two Jade high-rise towers are named so for good reason, as the architects note that both towers will use "a distinct green hue of glass," in a nod to the precious stone that is often associated with wealth and nobility in Asian cultures."

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
It doesn't really matter whether they're the majority of buyers or even the majority demorgaphic in Burnaby.

The original commentor had a point, in that Canada's official languages being English and French, the people putting up the ads should make the effort to ensure there's at least a translation in one of the official languages, even if you believe that most of your buyers will be Asian or Chinese origin.

I have no issue with them being in Chinese (or Korean or Japanese or whatever demographic you're primarily marketing to).

But they should ideally be dual language ads with an French or English translation (or ideally both).
You have a right to do business in whatever language you want in this country. The official languages have to do with federal institutions, not random realtors. Chinese-language-only realtors are missing out on the English speaking market, and English-language-only realtors are missing out on the Mandarin/Cantonese/Korean/Japanese/etc. markets. The best realtor speaks every language at a fluent business level but that's a bit unreasonable no?

There's a huge demographic of Chinese Canadians in Vancouver, I don't know what to say. I think all of you might be surprised how much local (not foreign) money there is in the local (not foreign) Chinese community.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:31 PM

(too big)

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:32 PM

Quote:
You have a right to do business in whatever language you want in this country. The official languages have to do with federal institutions, not random realtors. Chinese-language-only realtors are missing out on the English speaking market, and English-language-only realtors are missing out on the Mandarin/Cantonese/Korean/Japanese/etc. markets. The best realtor speaks every language at a fluent business level but that's a bit unreasonable no?

There's a huge demographic of Chinese Canadians in Vancouver, I don't know what to say. I think all of you might be surprised how much local (not foreign) money there is in the local (not foreign) Chinese community.

Vancouver New Condo Guide on Issuu. (There's an English version too).

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:39 PM

In Ukraine it’s an actual law that mandated Ukrainian language use in certain settings. I would say similar to what we have in Quebec. In BC we only have one official language it’s - English. Exemptions are when you which in federal jurisdictions.
My point is that is there is. O law that dictates language use in, out case adds, then it’s just barking in the forest.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
In Ukraine it’s an actual law that mandated Ukrainian language use in certain settings. I would say similar to what we have in Quebec. In BC we only have one official language it’s - English. Exemptions are when you which in federal jurisdictions.
My point is that is there is. O law that dictates language use in, out case adds, then it’s just barking in the forest.
Ukraine had (has) a very particular situation on its hands... Not sure if we exactly compare. And as evidenced by recent events in Quebec I'm not sure if they have a viable policy either.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 12:53 AM

To be honest I'd much rather see 10+ different languages used in commercial settings before French, which is pushed on the West by Ottawa even though the language is irrelevant here.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 1:50 AM

Quote:

You must have missed my point, or misread my comment (which is weird considering the fact that you actually quoted it), but given the fact that we're involved in a discussion about the importance of using a language that hopefully everyone understands or as many people as possible will understand, and given the likelihood that misunderstandings or miscomprehensions might happen, I'll help you out by re-quoting myself and bolding the relevant parts:-

Quote:
"It doesn't really matter whether they're the majority of buyers or even the majority demorgaphic in Burnaby.

But they should ideally be dual language ads with an French or English translation (or ideally both)."

I never said they don't have a right to do so and post those ads in Chinese only if they want, and I literally said I have no issue with them doing so.

As far as I know, British Columbia, unlike in Quebec, for example, does not mandate English (and/or French) usage for official communications outside of government business and government related information.

But like the rest of Canada, you would think it behooves the people who live here, or who want to live here to be considerate of their fellow Canadians and residents, even if you may not consider them worth your effort, or time or translation efforts.

It's about courtesy - something that Canadians love to pride themselves in having in abundance and which you'd think that people who immigrate here and want to integrate into the society would want take to heart.

And yes, there's a lot of wealth in the Chinese Canadian community; we all know that.
But isn't it a little bit presumptious to think that ONLY Chinese Canadians or Chinese immigrants will be the ones that want to buy into these condos or have the means to do so?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 2:35 AM

This has gotten off topic, let's not continue this conversation especially as it seems no one's mind is about to be changed on the matter.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
This has gotten off topic, let's not continue this conversation especially as it seems no one's mind is about to be changed on the matter.
I was just going to post same. Let's get back to discussing paving outside this development.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 3:26 PM

At least we’re handled language discussion in a better manner, compared to the one we have had recently in Vancouver Port thread regarding the protests.
For sure let’s move on. I’ll swing by this week to take fresh photos.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 7:20 PM

What is the FSR of Phase 1?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
What is the FSR of Phase 1?
Seems to be 6.6

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 7:52 PM

That seems low... I estimated 1.28M SF residential + $272K SF retail + 165K SF office on 208K land size... FSR of around 8.25

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 8:09 PM

Quote:
That seems low... I estimated 1.28M SF residential + $272K SF retail + 165K SF office on 208K land size... FSR of around 8.25
Someone mentioned the Guideway section is included in the phase so it might lower the FSR?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley