HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 6:14 PM
(the rascacielo freak)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
I don't mind a progress report, but what's lost in the translation is the technical language.

Here is an example of how I completely lost interest, "structural drawings would read as "#5 at 8" o.c. ".

How am I supposed to understand what that means?
How does that benefit my knowledge?

#5 is perhaps the rebar size???.... 8"o.c.... meaning 8" on center (center of rebar to center of rebar)

And that rendering above with theoretical neighbors around 432 Park Ave is NOT entirely crazy..... subways and commuter rail are the life blood of skyscrapers..... once East Side Access is complete - AND - once the next economic upturn cycle returns it's possible to see many more super talls in Midtown East being built.

432 Park Ave if built today would stand pretty tall in Midtown East..... but perhaps in 30 to 50 years it might be commonplace.

Aaaaand that's my first posting in nearly 5 years. ;-)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 7:20 PM
Mr. Technology

I agree 100% with you, TransitEngr !!

Just look at my profile pic on how strongly I feel that the NYC transit system is the life-blood of the skyscraper eco-system.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 6:34 PM

It's amazing to see the progress everyday...today so far has been another major change to the site. Lots more rebar down on the bottom left (56 cam), also they are preparing the top right (56 cam) of the site with gravel, fabric, etc.

They are going to quickly run out of room to manuever down there, I would say within a week or 2 the ramp may be gone with a crane in place.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 2:57 PM

I'm missing Marcatio's updates on everything. I always enjoy checking in first thing every morning and get the details of what is happening. I love to watch the camera's but I appreciate his insight to what it is that is actually going on. I find the process of building the skyscraper absolutely fascinating. Where are you Marcatio???

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 3:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Cam shot (August 21, 2012)

www.432park.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 3:15 PM
Mr. Technology

I am a visual guy and find that photo to be very interesting.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 10:35 AM

I'd taken a few days off from this post lately.

A recap 'til now of the events that took place since the last time I posted:

Aug 17 - Poured depressed slab south of core, waterproofing applied to southwest corner, rebar, crane legs and template installed in 56St footing.

Aug 20 - Area surrounding previously poured depressed slab had waterproofing begun, crane footing poured, waterproofing begun in nook east of the core.

Aug 21 - Excavation begun on new larger pad on 56St that was formed and poured, pour stops installed in east nook and east section of new slab to be poured surrounding the previously poured depress slab. Rebar completed on new future slab surrounding depressed slab. Rebar extended on south west (56St) corner, with pour stop installed.

Today - Concrete pump on site in preparation for pour for either area surrounding depressed slab, or southwest area adjacent to 56St. wall, or perhaps both.

Concrete pouring underway on the southwest slab section adjacent to the 56St perimeter wall. It is possible that the slab section surrounding the previously poured slab will also be concreted. Waterproofing being installed around the larger 56St pad that was formed and poured yesterday.
1:50PM (EST) - Today was a day of great progress. Four areas were poured today, leaving just a small area for the marooned excavator to maneuver. Preparations for waterproofing takes place adjacent to the section in the east nook that was poured today. The future 56St slab section to be poured that encloses the crane footing, and the depressed pad that was poured today, has some rebar placed, with additional reinforcing and pour stop to be added before pouring.

It is a shame that the Park Avenue cam is again out of service, as now that the slab visible on the 56St. cam is nearing completion, it would be interesting to see what happens at street level concerning final ramp removal, and removal of the excavators. This is a critical operation that I really want to observe, so hopefully that Park Av cam comes back very soon.

Last edited by marcatio; Aug 22, 2012 at 5:50 PM. Reason: addition

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 7:21 PM

The Hitachi 850 that had spent its life down in th pit for months hammering, digging, pouring concerte, acting as a crane, in short, performing yeoman service, now walks itself up the remains of the ramp. Now I really want that Park Avenue cam to get back online!! C'mon, EarthCam!!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 9:59 PM

When will the actual crane be installed????

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 12:57 AM

Wow this has made tons of progress since I was last on.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
What is the footprint for the tower in post #2125? Is it the little square box in the upper half of the photo?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 1:52 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

No, the little square is just the core. The actual footprint looks like this.

Maybe it's time to make an updated version of this.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
No, the little square is just the core. The actual footprint looks like this.

Maybe it's time to make an updated version of this.
Yeah, that would be good, because you can tell by the footings that the actual size of the tower will be a little larger than what you have shown. But it is cool to pretty much see how it is going to sit on the site. I still think this building is a waste. All that crazy height... if they just added a crown and spire then it would be really reminiscent of the buildings downtown c. 1930s.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 2:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post

Yeah, doesn't seem that long ago when the site looked like this: (note the buildings that have yet to be demolished)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 11:14 AM

The past week has seen a flurry of activity, with most of the slab on grade that is visible on the 56St cam has been poured. The bulk of the remaining activity on the foundation shifts east towards Park Avenue, with the removal of the remains of the ramp. Today, I noticed the resetting of the 56St. street barricades, indicating activity at the corner of Park Avenue and E. 56 Street, which is not viewable because of the Park Avenue cam not operating. Truck loading is taking place, with trucks being loaded by the triple-boom Hitachi. I am guessing that the Hitachi 850 that had been down in the pit may now be gone from the site. The non-functioning Park Avenue cam is a dissapointment, as this activity would be interesting to see. This to me is the worst of all times for that cam to be down.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcatio View Post
The past week has seen a flurry of activity, with most of the slab on grade that is visible on the 56St cam has been poured. The bulk of the remaining activity on the foundation shifts east towards Park Avenue, with the removal of the remains of the ramp. Today, I noticed the resetting of the 56St. street barricades, indicating activity at the corner of Park Avenue and E. 56 Street, which is not viewable because of the Park Avenue cam not operating. Truck loading is taking place, with trucks being loaded by the triple-boom Hitachi. I am guessing that the Hitachi 850 that had been down in the pit may now be gone from the site. The non-functioning Park Avenue cam is a dissapointment, as this activity would be interesting to see. This to me is the worst of all times for that cam to be down.
Love your updates.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 1:46 PM
New Yorker for life

The footprint is more defined now...

(cam shot, August 23, 3012)

www.432park.com

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 2:04 PM

So many projects in NYC to be giddy about these days. If you're a true skyscraper nerd you have your face glued to these threads any chance you can get.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 2:15 PM

Ooh, fun. I think this is probably the first photograph of this building that shows any of the structure itself (even if it's just a few feet of rebar).

So I take it this thing is going to start rising any day now?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 3:37 PM

Happy to have the Park Avenue cam back online. Hopefully it will stay online, as there is foundation work to be done on that Park Avenue end of the site.

Trucks line up along the realigned barricades on 56Street, and can no longer back into the site entrance as before, as the ramp disappears. They are currently being loaded in the street by the triple-boom Hitachi EX800, the last of the big Hitachis that worked on the foundation. As predicted, the other Hitachi EX850 excavator that worked below has left the site. As foundation work has now reached the remains of the ramp, there is every possibility that truck-loading operations may continue this weekend, as slab construction has proceeded at a brisk pace.

Workers apply waterproofing to the future depressed slab area at the nook, with rebar being installed at the future slab section at 56St.

Last edited by marcatio; Aug 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM. Reason: addition

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive