HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 5:12 AM

Oh god....

That one dude didn't even know how many seats the arena held!!!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 9:59 AM
BANNED

Our chances of landing the Coyotes increase if they get knocked out of the Stanley Cup playoffs early on. Last night, they lost to LA 3-2. They are currently the #6 seed, and play San Jose, a team they have not defeated in nearly 2 years. There is a very real possibility that the Coyotes can drop down to 7th or 8th.

That would mean playing Vancouver, San Jose, or Detroit. If they play the Sharks or Canucks, they are finished. With Detroit, it's a toss up. However, considering there are thousands of displaced Michigan residents in Arizona, the Red Wings can enjoy a 7 game home ice advantage.

I will be shocked if the Coyotes make it past Round 1.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 10:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrinch View Post
I don't work for TNSE, but can tell you that I've dialogued with some of the management there off the record that they have little interest in reacquiring the "Winnipeg Jets" name. If they eventually are able to land a team they are considering a more provincial focus with the opportunity to rebrand the team as they don't see the Jets as having been a very successful franchise. Again, this is just my understanding and I do not speak for TNSE... so please take it with a grain of salt... like it or not. Maybe this is just some pre-purchase positioning so they do not have to sell their first-born in re-purchasing the name.
I would be upset if the Jets name was not used. However, if they do decide to retire the "Winnipeg Jets" history, I would not mind "Falcons"

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Our chances of landing the Coyotes increase if they get knocked out of the Stanley Cup playoffs early on. Last night, they lost to LA 3-2. They are currently the #6 seed, and play San Jose, a team they have not defeated in nearly 2 years. There is a very real possibility that the Coyotes can drop down to 7th or 8th.

That would mean playing Vancouver, San Jose, or Detroit. If they play the Sharks or Canucks, they are finished. With Detroit, it's a toss up. However, considering there are thousands of displaced Michigan residents in Arizona, the Red Wings can enjoy a 7 game home ice advantage.

I will be shocked if the Coyotes make it past Round 1.
If they lose all their games in regulation (no more 3-point game BS), and Dallas wins all of theirs in regulation, then guess who's not in the playoffs anymore...

As for the 7-game home ice advantage for the wings... thats great, but that would also guarantee 3 playoff sellouts at Jobing.com -- although they won't be wearing white! -- being seeded 5 - 8th means one less playoff home game (or maybe only 2 if its 5 games).... less revenue to fill the bottomless pit we call the Phoenix Coyote's budget deficit.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 4:42 PM
BANNED

I was just chatting with a friend from Columbus Ohio and I asked her if she had ever been to a ‘Blue Jackets’ game. She responded by saying I’m not really into hockey and that a AAA hockey team was of no interest to her. AAA? No wonder Columbus has the third lowest attendance figures. Another Bettman failure.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
I was just chatting with a friend from Columbus Ohio and I asked her if she had ever been to a ‘Blue Jackets’ game. She responded by saying I’m not really into hockey and that a AAA hockey team was of no interest to her. AAA? No wonder Columbus has the third lowest attendance figures. Another Bettman failure.
The sad thing is, it seems to me that Columbus *could* be a Hockey town. While it's not as in the snow belt as Canada, it's still a 4-season territory. With some nurturing it could probably be a decent little hockey town; at least better than the Sun Belt teams like Phoenix and Atlanta.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:36 PM
BANNED

An Arizona city’s sports mania encounters a hard check

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...z3C_story.html

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 6:02 PM

Its the Red Wings...
So Detroit is going to have 4 - 7 home games then?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 6:35 PM

Phoenix will lose again, make it 21 years without a playoff series win. How pathetic!

Only good thing is the soap opera of Phoenix, Goldwater will finally be resolved in the next few weeks!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 6:40 PM

More in Canada

Canada could support 12 NHL teams, new report says

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTV
Instead of trying to foist expansion hockey teams in southern U.S. markets that don't really want them and may not support them, the NHL should massively ratchet up its presence in Canada.

That's the conclusion of a new report by the University of Toronto's Mowat Centre for Policy Innovation.

The report finds that Canada's rabid hockey fans could, and would, support a total of 12 teams -- double the six squads currently lacing up on Canadian ice.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories...-teams-110412/
While I doubt Bettman would start to make logical business decisions and admit failure, hopefully the collapse of Phoenix & Atlanta could lead to a renaissance in Canadian NHL teams!

When a market representing 1/5 of your teams is making 1/3 of the profit, why deny a good thing?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
Canada could support 12 NHL teams, new report says

While I doubt Bettman would start to make logical business decisions and admit failure, hopefully the collapse of Phoenix & Atlanta could lead to a renaissance in Canadian NHL teams!

When a market representing 1/5 of your teams is making 1/3 of the profit, why deny a good thing?
This report is a bit over the top... Halifax and Saskatoon are pushing it (at least for now), I'd think... Also, London/KW/2nd TO team/Hamilton... Going from 1 team to 3/4/5 teams in southern ontario is going to be failure, I'd imagine. Don't get me started on 2 teams in Vancouver...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 7:49 PM

Toronto alone could support another team! Leafs would fight it ferociously so it's unlikely but always possible.

Another team, 1, in SW Ontario would easily be viable, lots of corporate money, big population pool to draw from!

Assuming QC gets a new arena built & Winnipeg gets either Atlanta/Phoenix that would easily be 10 Canadian teams in the NHL!

I agree Halifax & Saskatchewan aren't that viable. The thing is the NHL wouldn't move overnight multiple teams to Canada, but incrementally showing that its a good business environment for the NHL

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 6:18 PM

This just in:
The league is likely to deny it, but...

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...13_135256_1900

And this...
McCain calls for mediation and talks to keep Coyotes
by Arizona Sports.com (April 13th, 2011 @ 11:16am)
http://ktar.com/category/local-news-...-keep-Coyotes/

PHOENIX -- Sen. John McCain says it's going to be "extremely difficult" to keep the Coyotes in the Valley unless the Goldwater Institute resolves its opposition to Glendale's deal which would have the NHL team bought by Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer.

"Right now, unless something changes, I'm very concerned," the Republican senator said Wednesday on the Doug & Wolf Show on Sports 620 KTAR-AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Daly refutes Sportsnet's Coyotes to Winnipeg story
By: Gary Lawless
Posted: 04/13/2011 1:11 PM

Sportsnet Radio FAN 590's Doug MacLean and Nick Kypreos are reporting the Phoenix Coyotes will relocate back to Winnipeg once the team is eliminated from this year's playoffs.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, however, is refuting the report.
"They must know more than I do. The short answer is their report is not accurate. We are still actively pursuing our efforts to effectuate a sale of the franchise in Glendale," said Daly, in an email to the Free Press.
We're working on this story and will provide further updates as they are warranted.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
This report is a bit over the top... Halifax and Saskatoon are pushing it (at least for now), I'd think... Also, London/KW/2nd TO team/Hamilton... Going from 1 team to 3/4/5 teams in southern ontario is going to be failure, I'd imagine. Don't get me started on 2 teams in Vancouver...
Yes that report was a little on the unrealistic side. If the stars all line up, the most NHL teams we will see in Canada are Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Toronto-1, Toronto-2, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City. That is 10 teams and I even think three teams in southern Ontario might be pushing it a little. At 10 teams, that would be four new teams coming to Canada (Phoenix, Atlanta, Nashville and Miami). It may not happen for a long time, but one can at least dream.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 9:35 PM

Question

That's all we'll see in the forseeable future. I think that after Winnipeg and Quebec it'll be Hamilton. No other market besides those 3 cities can currently hold a team.

In 50 years places like Saskatoon, Halifax, Kitchener-Waterloo-London and the Okinogan could become viable.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 6:25 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

When the Jets come back they'll burn this whole place down.

Watch workplace absenteeism skyrocket 12 hours after the announcement!

If we're lucky they will say something on a Friday.

Now, if there were ever two videos meant to be watched side-by-side these are it.. CRANK THE VOLUME UP! The Brooklyn of the North. Canada's team returns!

THE SONG..                                                THE DANCE..     

Video Link
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 4:38 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Winnipeg has just gained a whole lot of Red Wings fans me thinks.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 5:29 PM

For the first round anyways

Then its back to Canucks and Habs for me

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 5:42 PM
Armchair urbanist

Been a Wings fan for quite some time now. Hopefully the good news is twofold should they advance to the 2nd round.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan