HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
No, it wouldn't.
I think a government agency DOES monitor very large transactions like that, but its not the Bank of Canada.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I wouldn't get to bent out of shape over this comment. He is from Quebec, what would you expect him to say?

And for being upset that there doesn't seem to be a huge ground swell of enthusiasm from the current Phoenix players about the prospect of playing next winter in Winnipeg......ask your selves....if you were making millions of dollars, lived in a large city with lots of attractions, all four pro sports, high profile college sports, world class golf courses, beautiful weather (year round), how would you feel about moving to a small, isolated Canadian city with terribly cold winters.

If i didn't live here, i know that i wouldn't be overly excited about moving here either from Phoenix. We all know that after a month or two they will learn to love the city and it's fans (they will be amazed that they will actually have fans)....all peggers know this.

For the money he makes, I would be happy playing in the Arctic circle!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 7:05 PM
BANNED

that Free Press poll on a team name is resoundingly in favour of the team being called the Jets. Not sure what the response will be if and when they name it something else. I don’t care what they call it, but I really want the city name on it, not the province.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 7:57 PM

Temporary Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
that Free Press poll on a team name is resoundingly in favour of the team being called the Jets. Not sure what the response will be if and when they name it something else. I don’t care what they call it, but I really want the city name on it, not the province.
What do you think about the idea of using the "Jets" temporarily for the inaugural season or even just the first part of the season and then renaming? To me it seems like it would bring justice to those who felt they were robbed of the Jets, plus it would be an opportunity to double up on merchandise sales...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
What do you think about the idea of using the "Jets" temporarily for the inaugural season or even just the first part of the season and then renaming? To me it seems like it would bring justice to those who felt they were robbed of the Jets, plus it would be an opportunity to double up on merchandise sales...
Renaming a team after one year would be a ridiculously expensive endeavour. Every NHL item with our teams name/logo would be obsolute and would need to be replaced. Tonnes of merch would have to be discounted/discontinued. All official team documents/products etc. would need to be replaced after just a year. It would be confusing for fans in other markets, let alone casual fans in Winnipeg ("I thought they were the jets, what's this all about?"). A bad idea all around I think...

Only franchise I can think of that switched names recently (except those that moved, or recently moved) was the Washington Wizards in the nineties (because Bullets were synonymous with gun violence in DC)... Other teams made minor changes (Mighty Ducks to Ducks, Devil Rays to Rays, etc...), but nothing like a complete name change I don't think...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 10:09 PM

There is a precedent to this happening. Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee where they were called the Tennessee Oilers for their first 2 years; then they were renamed the Tennessee Titans. As well the Minnesota Northstars were renamed to Stars then moved to Dallas 2 years later.

From a marketing point of view, they would def want to have a new logo and jersey and all that jazz. It comes down to what would be more profitable? Calling the team the Jets, and getting money from that resurgence or calling them something else which means fans need to be new jerseys, hats, etc.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post

There is a precedent to this happening. Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee where they were called the Tennessee Oilers for their first 2 years; then they were renamed the Tennessee Titans. As well the Minnesota Northstars were renamed to Stars then moved to Dallas 2 years later.From a marketing point of view, they would def want to have a new logo and jersey and all that jazz. It comes down to what would be more profitable? Calling the team the Jets, and getting money from that resurgence or calling them something else which means fans need to be new jerseys, hats, etc.
That is exactly why I had added the caveat "(except those that moved, or recently moved)"...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 10:19 PM

Well I had thought through those considerations before mentioning that idea, but I don't think it has to be ridiculously expensive to accomodate this especially if they plan for a name change in advance. There certainly would be some cost to rebrand things twice but it wouldn't truly be a "full" rebranding... As to discontinuing merchandise as long as retailers don't go crazy on ordering huge shipments of the temporary stock the potential sales would outweigh the risk. I would pay dearly for a new Jets jersey, and then I'd pay dearly again for one with their new logo and name. I don't think any business has "successfully" rebranded their team twice in a year but only because none have probably ever set out with the intent to do so. What makes this all possibly feasible is the fact that so many on the free press poll about the name want the team to be called The Jets but most would also freely admit its not the best name either.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Well I had thought through those considerations before mentioning that idea, but I don't think it has to be ridiculously expensive to accomodate this especially if they plan for a name change in advance. There certainly would be some cost to rebrand things twice but it wouldn't truly be a "full" rebranding... As to discontinuing merchandise as long as retailers don't go crazy on ordering huge shipments of the temporary stock the potential sales would outweigh the risk. I would pay dearly for a new Jets jersey, and then I'd pay dearly again for one with their new logo and name. I don't think any business has "successfully" rebranded their team twice in a year but only because none have probably ever set out with the intent to do so. What makes this all possibly feasible is the fact that so many on the free press poll about the name want the team to be called The Jets but most would also freely admit its not the best name either.
Ok, maybe "ridiculously" was not the right adverb. But regardless, it would still be expensive for both the NHL and the team. You also have to be careful not to alienate fans, who might see this as bad marketing scheme. I'd prefer the gradual releasing of alternate jerseys myself - that way, my old merch doesn't become obsolete in 6 months. You have to remember how much stuff the NHL would have to change, in terms of their official liscenced merch and marketing, which would quickly make who knows how many millions of items obsolete twice within a year.

To put things in persepective, in order for a team to file a name change in the NBA, the league requires 25 months notice (just google Brooklyn Nets). Wizards owner considering renaming the Wizards after he bought the team, but stated it would cost "millions and millions and millions" of dollars. An NBA exec said rebranding a team could cost up to $10 million (and who knows how much more it would cost the league itself).

Sources:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs...ing_on_wi.html
http://dimemag.com/2010/03/re-name-t...ichael-jordan/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 11:11 PM
BANNED

for me though I really want the Winnipeg name on it. Winnipeg once and for all could have something world class connected to it after being the brunt of jokes for so long. Very few people have heard the name Manitoba before and to get that branded would be an uphill battle I think.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 1:58 AM

Its all about the brand at the end of the day.

Look at names like the "Wii"

It sounds/sounded like a million potty jokes or a certain male body part, but its a household name worldwide, and the fastest selling home gaming console in history. Also, does any one care the richest hockey franchise in the world spelled their name wrong?

It really depends how they market it. Keep in mind, what seems like a lame idea might be the best idea. The masses generally oppose new ideas. But, in marketing, historically these are the most successful things. Opposition will be there in the beginning, myself I was not too happy the Jets name was not being considered, much less Winnipeg...

My preference would be Winnipeg Jets, but I am completely open (and expecting) a new name/brand.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 4:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post

As well the Minnesota Northstars were renamed to Stars then moved to Dallas 2 years later..
The Minnesota North Starts never changed their name during their existence. They drastically altered their uniforms two years before they moved to Dallas, replacing the "N" with a star for the logo. However, the "North" was not dropped until they moved to Dallas for the 1993-94 season.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 10:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Its all about the brand at the end of the day.

Look at names like the "Wii"

It sounds/sounded like a million potty jokes or a certain male body part, but its a household name worldwide, and the fastest selling home gaming console in history. Also, does any one care the richest hockey franchise in the world spelled their name wrong?

It really depends how they market it. Keep in mind, what seems like a lame idea might be the best idea. The masses generally oppose new ideas. But, in marketing, historically these are the most successful things. Opposition will be there in the beginning, myself I was not too happy the Jets name was not being considered, much less Winnipeg...

My preference would be Winnipeg Jets, but I am completely open (and expecting) a new name/brand.
which team spelled their name wrong lol?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 11:40 AM

The Maple Laffs err Leaves err LEAFS. (I think)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:01 PM

I don't work for TNSE, but can tell you that I've dialogued with some of the management there off the record that they have little interest in reacquiring the "Winnipeg Jets" name. If they eventually are able to land a team they are considering a more provincial focus with the opportunity to rebrand the team as they don't see the Jets as having been a very successful franchise. Again, this is just my understanding and I do not speak for TNSE... so please take it with a grain of salt... like it or not. Maybe this is just some pre-purchase positioning so they do not have to sell their first-born in re-purchasing the name.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:51 PM
What could go wrong?

I agree, the "Winnipeg Jets" weren't a successful franchise. Let history be history. New owners, fresh start and write a new history.............hopefully successful to boot
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 4:12 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
which team spelled their name wrong lol?
The Bisons (plural of Bison is Bison - SERIOUSLY, UofM? You're a goddamn UNIVERSITY). But also the Leafs (should be Leaves).

The Celtics are spelled correctly, but pronounced wrong. Basically, jocks ain't gud wid English type stuffs.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 4:14 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I think people seriously need to give it up on the team name. TNSE has their own plans and they understand hockey marketing better than all the armchair experts out there. Seriously - who thought AHL would ever succeed? Every Jets fan swore they'd never embrace the minor leagues. Yet here we are.

Anyway, let's churn the rumour mill a bit - I've heard from 2 different people now that the Moose are not letting people renew their season tickets. This is thirdhand information (I don't know any Moose STHs) and seems highly unlikely - the media would have a field day with this one. However, there it is. Discuss.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
The Maple Laffs err Leaves err LEAFS. (I think)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
The Bisons (plural of Bison is Bison - SERIOUSLY, UofM? You're a goddamn UNIVERSITY). But also the Leafs (should be Leaves).

The Celtics are spelled correctly, but pronounced wrong. Basically, jocks ain't gud wid English type stuffs.
@wayward prince - yeah I was referring to the Maple "Leaves" as Taeolas mentioned

freeweed its funny... I have also noticed that! On both accounts. (Funny how the Celtics are pronounced incorrectly yet there is a huge Irish population in Boston)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Anyway, let's churn the rumour mill a bit - I've heard from 2 different people now that the Moose are not letting people renew their season tickets. This is thirdhand information (I don't know any Moose STHs) and seems highly unlikely - the media would have a field day with this one. However, there it is. Discuss.
I have not heard this at all, but then again, I am not a Moose STH. Lemme ask around and see what I can find.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 11:29 PM
Closed account

The Winnipeg Sun presents: Talking to Coyotes Fans

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ho.../17899471.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan