HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 1:50 AM
Bring buildings to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
the Canon store is called Image Square and will be located in EAP.

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/categoryH...=2&catid=20494
Grand opening January 15 @ noon. That's tomorrow!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 2:49 AM
not a NIMBY

It looks cool (except for the cheap floor mats)!
Thanks for the preview. I didn't realize they would have a store front on 8th Ave as I was thinking access would be from inside EAP.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 4:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoLance21 View Post
Grand opening January 15 @ noon. That's tomorrow!

Drove by it on Sunday. Looked to be a bunch of people inside getting ready for opening day. 8th Ave west of the tree sculptures is doing well. Growing number of quality options.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 8:24 PM

Looks like a liquor store is going in at the base of Waterfront and a restaurant called The Tea Factory is going into the new retail space on 4th street and 18th Ave.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Docume...c-31-jan-4.pdf

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
It looks cool (except for the cheap floor mats)!
Thanks for the preview. I didn't realize they would have a store front on 8th Ave as I was thinking access would be from inside EAP.
Was there today. Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time, but I liked what I saw. Turns out it is not a store. They won't even sell you an SD card. THe employee I spoke to called it a camera Disneyland.

If you want to buy something they will refer you to a store. They whole point is to showcase Canon and to offer courses and training.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 9:21 PM
not a NIMBY

Thanks Ramsay, that makes sense for them not to cannibalize the marketplace!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ramsay, that makes sense for them not to cannibalize the marketplace!
I know what you mean, at first I was thinking this is going to destroy their relationships with their retailers, but if anything this will strengthen it. I'm going back on Monday when I have more time.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 9:33 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Apple stores seem to do just fine with both marketing and selling the product (with others also selling your product) - but I guess with crack you can get away with that.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Apple stores seem to do just fine with both marketing and selling the product (with others also selling your product) - but I guess with crack you can get away with that.
I guess Canon appreciates their retailers a lot more than Apple does.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 3:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I guess Canon appreciates their retailers a lot more than Apple does.
Interesting concept. I like these experience type centres, but I bet it costs a healthy buck to set up and continue to operate these flagship stores without generating any direct source of revenue. I wonder how many of these they plan on opening worldwide?

I'm thinking they must have tablets or something for customers to go in and browse and order products online on the spot with workers there to assist?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Interesting concept. I like these experience type centres, but I bet it costs a healthy buck to set up and continue to operate these flagship stores without generating any direct source of revenue. I wonder how many of these they plan on opening worldwide?

I'm thinking they must have tablets or something for customers to go in and browse and order products online on the spot with workers there to assist?
It's certainly an interesting idea. On one hand, it controls and dictates the direct company branding better than any in-store display ever could. On the other, it has to be many orders of magnitude more expensive than even the most elaborate in-store set up. I wonder how their dealers feel? Obviously some are geographically closer than others, so if the display centre shows someone "all this cool stuff" and there's one dealer only a few blocks away, you have to imagine the other stores could be a little miffed.

I look forward to checking it out.

Just for fun, can anyone else think of another company using a similar concept?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 8:59 PM
not a NIMBY

Bite Groceteria finally opened in their new location in the Atlantic Avenue Art Block. I look forward to checking it out.

Also, the Sunnyside Natural Market is about to open in their new space with Sidewalk Citizen Bakery as well.

It can't be easy being an independent food retailer so I wish them luck and I hope the community at large supports them.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 5:04 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
It's certainly an interesting idea. On one hand, it controls and dictates the direct company branding better than any in-store display ever could. On the other, it has to be many orders of magnitude more expensive than even the most elaborate in-store set up. I wonder how their dealers feel? Obviously some are geographically closer than others, so if the display centre shows someone "all this cool stuff" and there's one dealer only a few blocks away, you have to imagine the other stores could be a little miffed.
Such a store works perfectly for the internet shopper like myself. I can go try the product in store without any sales pressure, then go home and buy from them if I liked their product best. They should never sell in store, that gets rid of the plus of no sales pressure.

I'm actually looking at buying a lens at the moment. I'm going down there soon to see if they have it, and try it out on my camera before ordering it. The danger will be the super-telephotos they have, tempting me in to spend big bucks - but that is the point of these stores.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 12:30 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Canon Image Square is just piggybacking on their corporate imaging sales office already in EAP.

Basically, the consumer camera buying experience sucks. At a big box store you have indifferent morons, no usable display models and few to no accessories. At a specialty retailer you have impatient snobs who don't want to answer amateurish questions or open boxes for the unwashed masses to touch.

Canon doesn't care where you buy the camera, but they are certain you go into your decision having had the best possible experience with their product.

One of my friends in the US is working on a similar project with another electronics manufacture.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 3:30 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Canon Image Square is just piggybacking on their corporate imaging sales office already in EAP.

Basically, the consumer camera buying experience sucks. At a big box store you have indifferent morons, no usable display models and few to no accessories. At a specialty retailer you have impatient snobs who don't want to answer amateurish questions or open boxes for the unwashed masses to touch.

Canon doesn't care where you buy the camera, but they are certain you go into your decision having had the best possible experience with their product.

One of my friends in the US is working on a similar project with another electronics manufacture.
I think this really depends on the retailer, I've found the Camera Store to be excellent this way, they'll pull out anything you want and let you play with it.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 4:39 PM

As a Nikon guy, I have to say I'm pretty jealous of this Canon store! It sounds like a great way to get to know the product, and Canon seems to be much better at connecting with new photographers these days than Nikon. I love their little displays of Calgary scenes, so I'll be down there to check it out.

But yeah, when it comes to buying, I'm a Camera Store guy myself. I live 1 block away from Vistek and about 3 from Saneal....and I still go to the Camera Store most of the time. They always just seem to have a better selection of what I'm looking for... which is probably why I've spent at least 4k there the last year there.

I used to buy everything from B&H and Adorama, but these days most of the bigger gear is the same price.....things like cards and cords are still a lot more expensive in Canada, so I tend to get those things from the US still.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I think this really depends on the retailer, I've found the Camera Store to be excellent this way, they'll pull out anything you want and let you play with it.
Yeah, they've always let me take stuff outside and give it a test shot, no problem.

I don't think they are snobbish at all....they probably realize that most of the guys buying this equipment aren't professional, but amateur hobbyists who do a lot of research and know what they are talking about, so they need to be treated accordingly. I wouldn't buy a lens without getting at least a basic 5 minute test run.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 5:57 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
As a Nikon guy, I have to say I'm pretty jealous of this Canon store! It sounds like a great way to get to know the product, and Canon seems to be much better at connecting with new photographers these days than Nikon. I love their little displays of Calgary scenes, so I'll be down there to check it out.

But yeah, when it comes to buying, I'm a Camera Store guy myself. I live 1 block away from Vistek and about 3 from Saneal....and I still go to the Camera Store most of the time. They always just seem to have a better selection of what I'm looking for... which is probably why I've spent at least 4k there the last year there.

I used to buy everything from B&H and Adorama, but these days most of the bigger gear is the same price.....things like cards and cords are still a lot more expensive in Canada, so I tend to get those things from the US still.

Meeee too. Come on Nikon!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:32 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Hanson Square PDF below. As I was saying before, at least the TD space is narrower in the front. Also, noticed today that it looks like the retail bay facing east is without a for lease sign now too.

http://www.collierscalgary.net/exclu...uare_email.pdf
One thing TD has going for it is that it's open 7 days a week, so at least there is some activity on every day of the week, as well their newer locations tend to put the offices away from the street.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 5:34 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

The fact the TD is only 2 bays is just fine with me, and yeah if it's open 7 days a week then you couldn't hope for much better (for a bank)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy